Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, I kind of like the fact that my levied soldiers aren't that much worse than my Super Elite Veterans at the end of the day. An errant arrow or bullet and your Berserker Warrior-God Level 99 is still a dead man.

Unfortunately this is hardly the case, as an elite group of archers can take on 3 basic archer groups in Total War games. Just as well, having "Health" is lovely. I remember in ME2:TW there was an Irish troop called the Muire which only had 30 dudes in its entire unit instead of the usual 60-100. Those 30 dudes, however, could take like 4x as many hits as any other troop, so these 30 dudes would end up just soaking up 10 volleys of arrows and losing not a single troop, then killing like 80 heavy armored swordsmen with minimal casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of sieges, for the love of god, not another siege fest. There is nothing more boring in the long run.

Sieges are great fun when you have like 6 different stacks running around. One stack locks up this city while the other 5 move onto other cities.

Then, in like 5 turns, you get to play defense against all these guys who abandon their towers and poo poo and bumrush you.

Or you get a free town!

If you want to attack and capture a city in one turn I recommend you go ahead and run a proper War Machine and get shittons of cheap melee units and a bunch of artillery.

Tomn posted:

If you're talking about the command stars, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that one command star was roughly equivalent to an extra experience level, with all that entails.

It's a shitton of morale bonus, especially when it's near you. I think it also affects the morale of the enemy negatively because one time in Shogun 2 I fought a General with his Bodyguard and one Yari Ashigaru card. I charged him with 3 yari ashigaru, no general, and his ashigaru killed probably 30 of mine before my entire army routed. I think he was like a 2 star general, too. The general didn't even fight my dudes at all.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2013

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plucky Brit posted:

I miss the AI superpower factions. It was the best part of Medieval 1, that almost always there would be at least one superpower on a level with your own and you would fight absolutely monumental wars to beat them. I remember one time playing as the Byzantines where the Almohads had conquered half of Europe and I had the other half, so Denmark to Italy was one battlefield with ridiculous troop numbers on both sides smashing into each other. They seemed to remedy this somewhat in Shogun 2, but the battles were never to the same scale. It would be great if they could set up something in Rome 2 so one faction was actually a threat in the mid-to-late game.

The Timurids' invasion was the highlight of ME2:TW for me because their elephants were great fun to try and beat.

As long as there's a late-game horde of enemy dudes spawning in at some point, I'll be super happy. Like a Gaelic Chieftain comes to power, with 10000 heavy infantry that just pop into existence next to my biggest armies. It's a rare, rare thing for me to lose a city in any TW but whenever I have to sacrifice armies/cities to delay or weaken a large army, it's great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well you have to operate within parameters, you can't really simulate the effect that a shortsword has over a club or the effect that a big shield has over a buckler without introducing some unique mechanic that is hard to balance. You COULD, however, just give more armor to the big shield guys and more damage to the axes but then that makes all infantry behave about the same doesn't it. Changing behavior of units is difficult and time-consuming.

You could make sword and shield Romans less numerous and more resistant to morale shocks and charges than the numerous and charge-bonused axe men and then that introduces different playstyles but actually just increases the learning curve for axe men.

However, having balance fucks up history. Horse archers were OP as poo poo in real life so should they be OP as poo poo in the game? If so, why play anything but Steppe Nomads? Further, Romans kicked the poo poo out of pretty much every other army and nation in the world, should that be reflected as well?

I think that having a shitton of units that function arguably the same but with small differences is a great thing. That way when you stop playing the Romans and play the Gauls or something, your units are similar but at a slight disadvantage if you aren't playing their strengths, which is charging or something. It's a game after all.

All line infantry should be functionally similar because that style of fighting didn't really do much to develop any uniqueness. Which was fine and effective. Grab a peasant, give him a gun and a week's worth of training and you got an infantrymen who can do almost as much damage to people as a highly trained veteran infantryman. Sure he can't reload nearly as fast and might want to rout, but whatever you could just scare em into staying in line or training them more.

I was fine with how they treated line infantry in Empire and Shogun because that type of unit is boring as poo poo but effective.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I'd be happy with just unique skins, yeah. I don't know why people would really care since there's like 9 unit types already, not counting upgrades from blacksmiths and ranks.

Heavy Infantry, light infantry, javelinmen, archers, generals, heavy cavalry, light cavalry, artillery, special units like wardogs and elephants (which is arguably where the biggest differences should be), and horse archers. Am I missing anything?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't really care to know the name of all those countries since I've always found all of the countries in TW games to be nameless little sponges of wealth when I get my war machine crankin'. Loot them all and set taxes really low so you get tons of growth and skip having to pay for militias for garrison happiness.

The soldiers are paid in loot, not in taxes!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Odobenidae posted:

I wonder how far north the map will go, i'm still hoping for another amazon tribe to be hiding somewhere. I also like how Africa looks less like desolate wasteland that I have to litter with watch towers/waste 10 turns playing find the city in the middle of the Sahara Desert.

The worst part of ME2:TW was destroying everything in the entire world and ruling it all, and then combing the desert for a 200 florin/turn 2000 population town for like 40 loving turns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, I never actually play around with agents at all, and only put naval units around to block any naval dudes from getting into my trade routes in the back. Maybe you just wish there were only land armies running about?

Also just set your taxes low and make a bunch of farms first. This is what I've always done for every single TW game ever. Put the tax sliders at low instead of default normal, and get a bunch of farms. This counteracts any unhappiness (usually), makes your population grow faster than any other nations, and usually gets you more money than setting your taxes higher.

Plus, in the more recent games they have farms give you more money in a flat rate.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 12, 2013

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kanos posted:

Medieval 2 is my favorite Total War game of all time that I've put hundreds of hours into and I can say it had way more annoying campaign map bullshit than S2. Between having to constantly suck the pope's dick to avoid being excommunicated and having your entire faction collapse into rebellions at the same time all your neighbors declare on you if you're not extremely prepared, your greatest generals randomly pulling the insane trait and becoming useless right when you need them to fight a 10 star mongol stack, and needing to blanket the continent in spies because moving armies around was a huge pain so you needed a lot of advance notice, I don't miss M2TW's map section. Sieges in that game were also horrific meatgrinders that made defending either trivially easy if the enemy had no artillery or totally impossible if the enemy did have artillery. There was no real in between. Meanwhile in Shogun if you don't like sieges you can literally skip the mechanic entirely by starving them out and it will force a normal deployment battle instead of "defenders all sally out of a choke point and get massacred before they can properly form up".

Well, the excommunication thing was easily counter-able by lowering taxes. Alt: put a levy militia in every town as your anti-God Crusade.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Goddammit there is nothing worse than a single cavalry unit or boat running around raiding your buildings or ports after they've been beaten the gently caress up.

The worst part is when they manage to raid like 10 different building types as well as your biggest port so the 10000 dollars you were expecting that turn turns into 3000.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warhammer Fantasy is irrelephant nowadays I think.

What else is irrelephant? flaming pigs, I hated those 'fun' units in my Total War.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only time I played Empire I made an American King and did the fortress America playstyle: shittons of infrastructure investment, zero influence across the Atlantic. Then, when I felt ready, I came and ate up Britain like a blueberry scone.

Then I went for Spain, the cherry on top of the sundae that was Europe, and as Austria got its poo poo shoved in I decided to make a bunch of Roman-style legions to handle the rest of the world. Once I ruled Europe the game boiled down into just throwing stacks of dudes at much smaller kingdoms that usually get super destroyed by my highly teched up and veteran armies, and spending 5 minutes per turn spending my millions of bucks turning every area into happy little neighborhoods.

Empire seemed like the scale of the game was way beyond what the game was designed for because, like ME2:TW and arguably every other TW game, once you get like 15-20% of the total map under your control, there is no enemy that's as strong as you and it gets tedious. Like, you see the enemy has a doomstack! ahh!!! too bad you have 4 right next to it and all of your stacks are better equipped and higher ranked. Napoleon was better because they narrowed the scope.

The only TW that managed to not have that be the case was ME2:TW's expansion for Brittania. If you didn't play as England, every single other country was very strong and was really hard to totally kill and you usually started out at a disadvantage. Plus, after like 20-30 turns the plague hit everything and poo poo got really muddied up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I didn't understand Napoleon (the character) in N:TW. I was playing as Russia and flooded Europe with Bolshevik Fury and came head to head against France. I destroyed the poo poo out of France but Napoleon kept coming at me and I beat him like 5 times with him retreating. So I decided, okay, I'll make an army of mostly cavalry and run that short gently caress down like an escaped slave.

I ended up surrounding his command unit with gunpowder cavalry and heavy cavalry, and ended up firing a few volleys at him, then sending in heavy cavalry to keep him occupied. The gunpowder killed like 80% of his command unit, my melee cavalry killed the rest. But Napoleon survived and started running.

He headed towards my 2 units of infantry and 3 units of artillery. The artillery nailed him a few times with cannon/explosive shot. Survived. He ran right into a unit of line infantry, and they opened fire. ~60 shots fired, he kept running. He ran right through the line infantry, and knocked over two of them on his way out. He ran towards my artillery so I set them all to do anti-infantry shots, and aimed them at him. All 3 fired, a lot of them hit him. He survived. Knocked over an artilleryman and killed him somehow.

From that point on I just decided to continue my Bolshevik strategy and flood all of Europe with Russian beards and bullets, since Napoleon was an unkillable bullet-deflecting rear end in a top hat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No loving way is that real. I cannot believe the devotion that full-grown adults have to children's games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A long time ago I used to wonder "why would God, in his infinite wisdom, afflict people with asperger's syndrome. Surely autism serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things except to be an unnecessary burden."

And now, in the dawn of the internet age, I see now God's wondrous plan. This mod is concentrated autism, and it is glorious. Seriously, this gigantic mod is based on loving ZELDA and the developer has done all of THAT.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beastmen are very, very fun to play if you've already played and are good at the normal game. The horde mechanics are proper, you're not really supposed to do much/any politicking, and perhaps most importantly the units are cool and good.

Of course, you'll miss the ability to poo poo out full-sized armies left and right, knowing half of them won't come back home.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nostalgia drew me to play ME2:TW again-- who knew you could eat your way out of the black plague, since apparently farms are the most important building in this game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Roman amnesia problem is a big problem to deal with and it's kind of a major aspect of the game (for certain factions). The worst game mechanics are ones that you can do nothing about. Like, in ME2 when the plague comes in and everyone gets hosed up you can kind of subvert the effects on your nation with public health bonuses and food buildings.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Picked up Attila with blood dlc and man are units indistinguishable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I started a vanilla grand campaign before I start considering the DLC campaigns to see if I like it enough to give a poo poo, and I want to be a viking. I'm digging running around as the Saxons, slowly carving out a breadbasket from the ruins of Rome, and making sure these rear end in a top hat roving hordes all get shanked if they step foot on my farms.

I need to disable these agents for real though, and these building trees are awful. TW:W's anti-agent mods and reasonable buildings spoiled me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Celtic units may or may not be boring. The strategic gameplay is definitely more boring for the Celts b/c you aren't really experiencing Hun Terror and you can hole up in Britain if you like. The proper Attila campaign is either Romes, the Huns, or the Central Europe tribes that need to get the gently caress away from them.

The differences in Attila units are more about their weapons. Axes are really great offensive troops, pikes are defensive, swords are in betweeners, but everything has high upkeep so you're intended to be raiding and looting constantly while also disbanding depleted units while everything falls to poo poo around you.

Honestly, Attila units make more sense if you compare them by weight. Mediums beat pretty much every light or very light unit handily, weapon irrelevant.

I find playing as the various Celts is a more standard Total War game: paint the map, eventually you can come face to face with the huns. That being said, it's all very same-y.

Unless! You decide to be the contra-Attila and do that achievement where you declare war on every faction you encounter the moment you encounter them, which makes the game a lot more fun. My favorite thing was taking over all of Britain in like three turns, while a grab bag of 4-5 factions that were united against me took over various British provinces, leaving me with London. I win a heroic victory fighting off 6000+ troops with a 2000 stack, and systematically gobble up all of Britain not unlike a forest fire. Then the game was effectively over, and I realized the game was not worth $60. Thank god I bought it for $10.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Attila, like Rome 2, had a lot of flaws. It's not a terrible game, I'll give it that.

There's no incentive to give a poo poo about the political.. system.. thing because if you do it well enough and gain a bunch of power, you still get hit with a bunch of factionwide debuffs and penalties, because why not.

The food mechanics in Attila, like most mechanics, is not very intuitive or explained well. Each province needs to be self-sufficient food wise, because roads and carts and trade between neighbors within an empire wasn't invented I guess. You can have a 500 food surplus, but if one province is consuming 5 more food than it produces, it's a starving province.

Then the best part is, a good chunk of the world will be unpopulated ruins because of the various hordes, which makes the painting the map part of the game extra boring.

I'm very glad that CA made TW:W as good as it is because this was a poor showing. I'm glad I played it though weirdly enough.

Maybe playing as a horde is funner than playing as a "normal" faction, but probably not.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fangz posted:

Grant fights his quest battle to gain +2 to Remove Confederacy Corruption.

Confederacy as a corruption mechanic would be outstanding.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Medieval 2 was a good Total war and is still fun to play, but it's really, really archaic in a lot of ways and frankly TW:W and S2 are better TW games in just about every way.

Medieval 2's expansion had something interesting that no other TW managed to recreate: the Fantastic And Wonderful Boiling Tar on top of gates. Ain't never seen a bowl kill 1000 adult fighting men in full plate before, ain't never seen it since.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can, I think. It doesn't tell you when it happens but I've ended battles with an extra Onager/great cannon/whatever the gently caress before.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KyloWinter posted:

Is Warhammer any good in comparison to the greats of Rome, Medieval 2, and Rome 2 DEI mod?

It is better than Rome 2, it's as good as if not better than I remember ME2 was (and I haven't played ME2 in years, so I got some rose-tinted glasses), and I don't know about that mod. I'll be real, I have no qualms with stating it's the best Total War in the series and I've played and beat every single one of them since Rome.

It's easier to pick up and play and you'll spend a lot less time in any given campaign. You accomplish the long victory conditions in about 150-200 turns when you first play a game for most races. Of note, when you complete a campaign as, say, the Empire then playing as the Dwarfs, or the Beastmen, or the vampires is vastly different. The armies are much, much more varied with some armies completely eschewing unit types (vamps don't get ranged units for example. Dwarfs get no cavalry). So you'll happily play the game as a different race and it'll be a different, but familiar experience and it keeps it fresh. And you get to literally burn down the home forest of the elfs. It's wonderful.

It's not as "deep" as Rome 2 or Attila but honestly, you won't miss having to deal with or micromanage something like Sanitation or food. It's still plenty deep and intuitive, but playing a Total War game that isn't Warhammer after playing TW:W is hard to do, brother man, and really not in a good way.

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 8, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plan Z posted:

Kind of reminds me how they were bragging that climate change and the Huns would push everybody south in Attila when I was wiping out Goths and Vandals before Attila was even born.

Speaking of, the climate change aspect didn't really do much in my game. Sort of like how the plague in ME2 was easily shrugged off if you had enough farms, all I noticed about the climate change was that I should switch to The Almighty Goat instead of regular fields for most provinces.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gorn Myson posted:

The one thing that makes me want to go back to Medieval 2 is the expansion pack. Specifically the American campaign. Even more specifically, playing as the Apache.

You didn't like playing as the Spaniards, making your basic spanish troop an effective brick wall?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is one hell of a deal on TW:W at least, the rest are amazing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I actually think that a rotating legionaire block formation could work. In medieval 2 musketeers rotate through the formation as each line fires. I could see that being applied to Romans.

I remember the horse archers in ME2 could do that circle thing where they continuously shoot and it was really, really unwieldy but that was like 15 years ago. They could do something cool like that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Playing the old total war titles again has made me miss having Jeff van Dyck's music in the games, and his wife's antiwar credits songs. It's a weird mix to have games that actively encourage genocide of indigenous populations as a gameplay mechanic, and then have the credits songs go "good job you heartless bastard."

If murdering hordes of unwashed British peasants with French noble cavalry is wrong I don't want to be right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

StashAugustine posted:

Man installing out of date M2 mods on Steam is a massive pain in the rear end

I can't even get M2 to work anymore. It's v sad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

StashAugustine posted:

That's what like four guys most of the time? The AI is pretty bad at siege but a proper stack will wipe that

Always max free upkeep garrisons. Never forget to put up watch towers on your borders so you can train/hire mercenaries when you see an enemy coming at you from a long enough distance. Or keep a defensive army of cheap spears and cheap bows on patrol where you think you might get hit. The free garrisons are always just there to boost whatever army you defend with.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

^^ Yeah this.

Watchtowers are important because some regions are large enough that you'll have 1-3 turns to prepare for a dude that's beelining it to the region's settlement if you see them coming, and they cost pennies and (I think) are free forever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

Also you can just murder the pope

Yeah this is what I used to do. Get a good assassin to do it if you can and/or just build a fuckton of big churches in your lands and then you can pick the pope yourself, basically.

I don't know if you can destroy the papacy or not though. I know you can eat all those cities, but beyond that I don't know.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Carcer posted:

Sure, but this goes hand in hand with the situation where the player has never acted aggressively against a faction, has actively attempted to help that faction in wars and has gone out of his way to treat them like a friend.

I think a lot of the "Conquer everything all the time gently caress the AI" is born from player's becoming jaded through the random aggresion of a faction that that player had been friends with since turn 1 and has now blockaded their main trading port and tanked their economy, or suddenly breaking every treaty with the player and besieging their capital.

This is what's up. I will add though that the fact that there are basically no methods by which a player can reliably expand their power except through conquest is another problem.

For example, Warhammer introduced Confederation which was great. But the issue is that the player reaches a point where he has like 50x the power of an enemy, and the enemy knows it. Then I ask for confederation and I just get refused. Okay, gently caress it, I'll burn the whole place down and take it anyways, it's just a hassle now. There should be a more viable and funner way to interact with them, like shows of force or something-- maybe scripted battles. In fact, the most recent DLC had it to where a faction will confederate if you beat their faction leader in battle. That was great.

It's not like kingdoms have been forged solely by a conquering army showing up and razing every single city owned by the enemy. Sometimes the fact that it's been done before by the conqueror is enough.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are they going to keep the post victory looting reward from Warhammer? I loved sustaining my orc economy by bashing in skulls and eating armies.

"Eat Captives" should be an option!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mostly agree, but I feel that TWC needs a special level of callout.

I professionally re-enacted 1860s british army as a museum thing for a while as a student. We did live fire demonstrations with OG 150yo snyder-enfields and got detention if we didn't shine our boots up proper. We had about 10 smoothbore 24lbers, a handful of mortars, 2 armstrong guns, and several brass howitzers that birds lived in because for some reason those were the only things we weren't legally allowed to live fire.

Somehow our cadre of people pretending to be the worstest most imperialest godawful white folk of all time still managed to be pretty liberal and universally agree that the british empire was in fact bad

I had a weird conversation with a civil war re-enactor (for the confederates) where he felt really bad that Obama had to deal with as much poo poo as he did and felt genuinely sad that there were a bunch of racists in his chosen political party.

This was right after he pretended to kill a bunch of Americans in order to defend slavery. We were all sipping tea and eating snacks.

History is weird, but it attracts some real weirdos when violence is involved.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Napoleon fights were fun for a bit, but it was very annoying how the good ships took like 8 turns to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Boiling oil never makes sense to me. That stuff is expensive. Couldn't you just throw boiling water instead?

Boiling oil sticks to your skin while it burns.