Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Archonex posted:

As for the Subrosians, odds are the Labrynnians will meet them first. Which if you're playing them to type means hilarity (IE: A trench war in hell.) will ensue. I'll get into the Labrynnians later if people want. They're probably my favorite faction given how they work and what your overall goals are. For now let i'll just say that they play like some sort of schizophrenic mix of Hyrule if it was infantry based and a WW1 trench war (if WW1 had mechs) in combat. Which they can build on the battlefields.

You had me at trench warfare. :allears: I'm downloading this immediately, it seems amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

When do the AI factions start wielding interesting army sizes? I've spent a few turns as a couple factions and wasn't amazed. I see the potential in the lategame though.

The Sheikah start is dull, letting you absolutely easily bumrush the Gorons with relative ease. An interesting faction though, one of the most interesting ones.

The Hyrule start is simple, and somewhat easy. Attacked a Wizrobe church guarded by only one enemy unit, got my army thoroughly annihilated by said unit but eventually killed it with Zelda. The Wizrobes then asked for a ceasefire, giving me 4900 rupees per turn for 3 turns in order to achieve this. These 3 turns are then used to search for the Wizrobe cathedral in order to wipe them out (They seem more trouble than they are worth)

The Labrynna Regime start is very easy. Surrounded by small rebels and independents, it's easy to expand quickly. No real threats in the vicinity should allow time to learn how exactly one makes best use of their units. Loving the Mech Tree.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, it seems Fall of the Samurai is balanced against invading places at the very beginning. Loving the interface though, and the naval combat is slightly less awful. Not sure if I enjoy the early game though, it seems like a slow game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

For its price, it is fantastic. The line of sight system is so much better for multiplayer than obvious certain positions where you can be "Hidden" by sitting in shrubbery.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Earwicker posted:

what is TWC's deal why don't they like barbarian dicks? I've never really read those forums

Personally I don't like them because it then becomes awkward to show off awesome battles to family and friends. Those are the kind of situations Alt-F4 were made for.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Doomsayer posted:

What does it say about me that I've never played a Total War game longer than an hour, but now that I'm playing Hyrule: Total War I can't stop? :ohdear:

I used the sale to buy Kingdoms and try it out and now I'm obsessed.

Hyrule Total War is so incredibly boring at first, but as soon as big armies start rolling around it is the best.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Have you ever played any games in the Wargame series? They're fantastic examples of 10v10 multiplayer RTS, and are superb.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

shalcar posted:

I can't imagine Wargame 10 v 10 being much fun if you started with 3 units and could never build any more.

That's pretty much how I play Wargame 10v10. I just go with airplanes and scouts, acting as a support unit for the team, and I find that to be a blast. A more focused experience is more interesting to me, and a low unit count makes it easier to stay on top of everything happening whilst also providing incentive for teamwork and coordination.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

The Shogun battle victory music was fantastic, you can tell there's an actual party going on, drink up ashigaru you've earned this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4DRD2B1is

I prefer the Shogun 2 victory music. It felt more like the general's retinue of musicians who he brought along have just started playing for the entire army. The cheering really sells it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8cKGBc6dU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

supermikhail posted:

Oh, yeah. Some dissonance here, I guess. :downs: I'm totally for fightin and conquerin, but religious and ethnic intolerance doesn't stand with me.

Then do the ol' Warhammer strategy: Conquer Earth, destroy all places of worship, suffer a massive rebellion, die and then have the entirety of humanity worship you and your several doomstacks of Space Marines.

Actually, Warhammer (Horus Heresy era) really fits with Total War's playstyle. Big doomstacks (Legions) with great commanders (primarchs) who may get pissy and rebel at the most inopportune moment with not a care for the socio-economic side of things.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Anybody hear anything new about Total War Arena? It sounds cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ScotchDK posted:

A batch of new alpha test keys where given out today, so i expect some NDA breaks spilling out tomorrow.

Oh, what's the thread's stance on NDA breaks? Maybe alpha keys have landed among us.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 18, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mans posted:

You'll get a pseudo dota and you'll be happy!

Arena is actually very good, and is closer to the Wargame series in scope. 10v10!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I liked it. Get some coordination going and it'll be great! It makes use of the line of sight system seen in Rome 2 very nicely, allowing for actual ambushes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

The music is hyrule mod is incredible

And the battles are phenomenal. The Wizrobes are truly terrifying, which is why simply destroying them isn't necessarily the smartest idea even though they exist to gently caress over all of your stuff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

I got mine a couple months ago but didn't try it until last night. I'm not sold on it at all, to be honest.

I like it. It's a bit of fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mans posted:

And Sword of the Stars, an absolutely awful game with a great combat system

Sword of the Stars 1 was great, all round. 2 is the one that's awful with a great looking combat system.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I mostly just want the strategic map to be a place where I build dudes and move them on a risk-like board. Screw movement cost and all that nonsense, clarity should be key. Its the battles that matter, not the strategic layer. gently caress agents.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

I wouldn't call Trolls, Elves, Nazgul, and loving reformed Sauron being able to gently caress poo poo up "unbalanced". It's balanced by high recruitment times.
That said, Elves really are the easymode faction.

You know the big rear end elephant things? They're physically unkillable unless you have 5 units of archers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Plucky Brit posted:

Javelins and artillery make mincemeat of them.

Rohan got literally none of that. I had three places that could make archers. The mod is really badly balanced. Hyrule Total War is much better in most ways, so go play that instead of even looking at Third Age.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

drat, that actually looks really good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It looks like it's using the system that Ultimate General Gettysburg does for movement, in which case it'll control absolutely fine on iPad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If they do Three Kingdoms without a dueling mechanic on the battlefield I'll be disappointed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

disjoe posted:

Immortal Wombat? The guy that was explicitly talking about Rome 2?

You didn't quote them and your post came after people started talking Rome 1. Understandable mixup.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

So what's the deal with Total War Arena? I got an invite for the upcoming free weekend and I was wondering what it was supposed to be. Is there a specific thread for it?

Free to play Total War game where you control 3 units in a 10v10 Total War battle. Was really, really quite solid when it was last open and now its a Wargaming joint I'm sure they ruined it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Bought it based on this and a whim. My concern with this thing right now is the economy. Many things take 30-50 turns per level to pay off, not counting research and build time. This is a problem when the default turn time is 300. And trade is worse than this thanks to the upkeep costs of trade buildings. Others say; 'but that's how it WAS, you need to be HUGE for trade to be worthwhile'. I'm not convinced.

I've never seen Total War or TW-esque economies as matters of when does a thing pay off, but more a case of cash flow. Economies there are for the sake of maintaining upkeep, not creating profit IMHO, though this is especially true in Warhammer.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I would hope an ACW TW would cover North America. There should at least be more than 2 playable factions.

...maybe make each state as a separate playable faction?

That'd be the obvious way to do it, just like FOTS.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davincie posted:

i think a big problem with an acw total war, is that about 10 people outside america care about the acw

ACW is cool as heck, plenty of people outside America care about the ACW. In the UK when we talk about "The Civil War" we're not talking about the English Civil War.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Theswarms posted:

Yes we are? Most people would say the English Civil War, but I definitely definitely assume someone meant that rather than the American one.

Considering the amount of Civil Wars we've had, its a bit weird that we have one called the English Civil War really.

Most people don't even know about the English Civil War. General populace is dumb.

jBrereton posted:

If the 1640s is being brought up

Well yeah, but few people bring up the 1640s in casual conversation. I meant that if someone was going to say "Seen that Civil War film/documentary/game/tv show" it'll either be Marvel or the American Civil War.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Warhammer, Attila and Empire had lopsided battles be somewhat interesting due to tech disparities, though not when you're the one who has overwhelming odds usually.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That's exactly why Warhammer is so good: If you're say the Empire, other Empire nations confederate to protect from you and they'll confederate with you to protect from Chaos, Vampire Counts, etc. It's genius and it works perfectly. Literally just porting that same exact system in how it works to Rome 2 would make it 10x better.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yes to all of those.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of M2, how big a garrison do people usually run? I was trying out Venice because their militia spam looks neat, but both the ERE and Sicily want pieces of me so I have to defend everywhere

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What the gently caress tw game are you playing?

Medieval 2 Total War, the game that features mods such as Third Age Total War and also has forts and watchtowers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kinda wish they went whole hog and had Tier 7-8 be Napoleonic era stuff and 9-10 being crazy Warhammer bullshit. That'd just be the best. I'd also love occasional 2-3 Napolenic era players up against 7-10 tier 3-5 players. Those 'boss battle' matchups kinda suck in most free to play games, but would be really drat cool with the historical leanings.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Out of curiosity: what units do other people consider bad in Shogun 2? Personally never really got a use out of: most siege engines (rockets and cannons are kinda okay), ninja (lose to everything, stealth doesn't seem terribly useful), and katana cav (lose hard to other cav and aren't that much better against infantry). Yari samurai aren't great but are okay for aggressive players because they're way faster than naginatas. Haven't really messed around with the special units as much, but Oda, Otomo, and Chosokabe seem to have good ones

Only ninja kinda suck to me. Katana cav are best for sieges. Dismount them and infiltrate at speed from an unguarded flank, capture the gates with strong infantry and then re-mount and enter the fort with great anti-infantry cav.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Download a submod that changes the names to English ones? I actually like the defaults because then I can pretend I'm learning something.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mans posted:

It's gotta be one of the gooniest complaints to cry that an historical game doesn't have dragons or giants jfc.

Actually it sounds like the very opposite of goony.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Great Heathen Army would be sweet (and is probably the most likely) but I'd kill for a low-fantasy King Arthur game.

Heck, I'd like CA to just do the King Arthur series of games but actually good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame is better than any TW.

Better campaign game, but the battle engine was eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

nessin posted:

This isn't Vikings, it's 9th/10th Century Britain, if you're going to compare themes then I think you could find a pretty solid argument in Vikings versus Samurai. So yes, my contention is more will people recognize Sengoku Era Japan than 9th and 10th Century Britain. If CA was going to legitimately build a game around the Viking theme then they'd have to branch out. Everything that made the "Viking Age" notable in history is what they did everywhere but Britain.

we found a crazy person