Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

Just think, with the retirement of Darth Vader the modder, we won't ever have access to such brilliance in the new total war games.

Truly a shameful display.

A TWC poster weighs in on the topic of Darth not being invited to the modder summit.

quote:

It's like not allowing a mother to go to her son's funeral. Exactly what CA did.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sylink posted:

I wish they would ditch the walk everywhere campaign maps and just make it the original risk style or something close, because in empire trying to track down those 40 rebel soldiers who keep being shitlords and burning your farm in the panamanian jungle is some annoying poo poo.

Tiny armies with 40 men shouldn't be able to do that. The games before ETW had instant desertion, gradual desertion and bribing, but all of that was taken out iirc.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that is something that used to annoy me especially in older TW games: You'd get a sweet cavalry charge into a flank or even the rear of a unit but the only visible effect is basically their numbers/morale dropping that much faster. If this works well then the wedge formation would finally be good for its intended purpose, smashing right through a line of enemies.

Lol what? The effect of cavalry sending infantry flying was toned way down from Rome/M2 to Empire/S2.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is noone else bothered by those ridiculous cliffs on every coast? They could have restricted naval landings by the player/AI without adding huge ugly unrealistic cliffs everywhere.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are those camels running right into a spear wall? That is pretty retarded.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody out there is weeping at the lack of his precious pearly white boy Egyptians.

And that is just terrible.

Hm well the soldiers were almost 100% greek at the time weren't they?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Most Greeks aren't "pearly white" either.

No poo poo. I didn't say they were. That's not the point. Point is they definitely didn't look like native egyptians. The armies in ptolemian egypt were mostly made up of macedonians/greeks so those who are complaining about historical inaccuracy have got a valid point. CA are arbitrarily selective about what they portray realistically and what they don't, and I can understand some frustration arising from that fact.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Frijolero posted:

And this is the most recent screenshot

Ugh. That model wasn't made to be viewed up close like that. Looks blocky as hell, and the lighting and aliasing doesn't help.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Either Shogun 2 with patches/FotS is really well optimized, or Attila is really poorly optimized. Or both.

I can run FotS with Ultra settings, MSAA, 16x AF and SweetFX at a steady smooth fps on a GTX 660, while Attila will chug along at 10 fps with similar settings. :stare:

I'm almost disappointed because I'm testing this out while waiting for my new GTX 970 and now I have slightly less of an excuse for spending the money on the upgrade.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Yeah Rome 2 and Attila doesn't even look as good as Shogun 2 on ultra does. Yet runs much worse. CA brilliance. The fact that even the best cards can't get Attila above 40-50 fps shows how CPU bound and poorly optimized it is.

Is there no way to toggle "total" unit quality - i.e. no LOD, full quality on all units even when zoomed out? I remember it was possible in Medieval 2 by editing the settings ini file.

edit: vvvv
Ah, I only played Rome 2 for a few hours on launch and swore never to touch it again. :D

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 11, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Frankly posted:

The best I can manage running Attila on a big-ish battle/siege is a super choppy ~30fps with poo poo texture settings and everything else cranked to max to compensate, i5 4690/16GB ram/GTX 970. Everything actually looks like a potato.

but yeah Rome II runs really well in comparison for my setup.

e: I should also say that others with my exact setup have claimed 60fps/max settings across the board with my specs, gently caress knows how they did it though because they aren't telling me

Why wouldn't you turn textures to the highest or semi highest and turn down some other stuff like shadows and terrain instead?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is Total War Arena any good :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

I say yes, it is. It’s very different than multiplayer in the usual titles in the sense that you will not be able to handle all situation with just your 3 units, and must rely on your team for support. You can imagine the quality of teammates you can expect being a f2p title. Luckily the opposing team has just as many total idiots.

Grinding tiers sucks, but only if you focus on that. However I find the game to be the most fun at <t7, so I have no idea why anyone would want to grind to top tier. T1-3 has limited unit types (none of the types listed below) and is a great intro. T4-6 you start seeing everything, slingers, elephants, heavy armored cav, siege weapons, pikes, 2h infantry, dogs.

It’s free and getting into matches takes less than 30 seconds, give it a shot. Definitely more fun with some friends in a party too.

Thanks. Is there a thread for Total War Arena?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

None of the Clausewitz TW games have ever been that great because the campaign AI is programmed to be annoying rather than fun. The AI is programmed to be a poo poo and do some of the things a human player might do in the same situation, but the game mechanics are too shallow for the player to respond in a meaningful way. When the AI sends a single unit to raid your farms, there's nothing to be done besides ignoring it, or conquering the AI. When the AI invades you then runs into your heartland by keeping juuuust ahead of pursuing armies, all you can do is reload or lose something important. In FotS, this comes to a head with bad naval battles, bad naval autoresolve, and an AI that will build and send fleets at you all game.

FotS has a lot of toys to play with in land battles. It's not really a balanced game because you can break the ai over your knee by just researching a few techs, but it's also pretty fun as a result.

Clausewitz TW games?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

bluhhhhhhhhh warscape

Are you talking about the engine used for Empire and later games?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Dual question: How important are the DLCs for Rome 2? Do Rome 2's mods make the game worth paying for? (as opposed to playing a version without workshop access)

Considering buying Rome 2 at -75% discount for the base game, but the complete bundle with all DLCs is still pretty expensive at almost €50.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Base Rome is good now. Limited faction selection I suppose but tbh only the DLCs that add mini campaigns (mainly Caesar in Gaul) are worth it

DEI is the big uber nerd mod. Don't know if you need DLC to play it

Looks like DEI can be played without DLC. DEI does change DLC stuff too, if you have them, but isn't dependent on any of them.

So I might go for Rome 2 on sale, no DLCs, add a bunch of mods, maybe play DEI.

Unless there's some other TW experience that's better. The Warhammer universe never appealed to me though.

RTW and M2 were my favorites back in the day, but they feel a bit dated now.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Azran posted:

Three Kingdoms is by far the best historical TW game, so go for that one if you don't care about Warhammer. Otherwise, it's a toss up between WH2 and 3K

Historical you say. :thunk: I thought Three Kingdoms was part fantasy. Seems like its user score/steam reviews took a beating after CA stopped supporting it? Is that something to be concerned about, or just gamer bitterness? Did they leave any glaring holes in the game when they abandoned it?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 26, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Looking at R2 and 3K on youtube, and drat, those loving cliffs in R2 bother me. Pretty much all the land in R2 is blocked off from naval landing with steep cliffs where IRL there often are none. I assume they did it in some desperate attempt to make the AI less lovely.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

As mentioned, records mode makes your general a whole heavy cav unit rather than being a one-person blood plow like they are in romance mode. There aren't like wizards or magic or anything otherwise, and can largely be treated as a regular historical title from there.

Fair warning: shock cav kind of run the show for a lot of your time playing 3k. They are ruinously effective at relegating whole armies to the past tense in seconds. A lot of army comps are going to revolve around either utilizing your own well, or shutting down the enemies. Keep them away from spears and ji infantry but otherwise a lot of combat will revolve around getting them angles to run down literally everything else.

Effective cavalry sounds good to me. That's what I liked most about the earlier games. A *charge* from heavy cavalry is supposed to be absolutely brutal to bodies and minds.
Send the first dozen fuckers flying and trample or impale the rest. :black101::hist101: :worship: :hai: Not some weak rear end run into + engage in regular melee BS.

I decided to try FOTS. Had some trouble getting a larger font mod to work, and after a half hour of loving around, I got it working and started a campaign. Seemed fun, but then in my first battle, after zooming in on an enemy unit, the game froze and crashed to desktop. :negative:

Edit: tried again with DX9, same battle didn't crash now... Is DX9 the way to go? It makes the game less pretty. :crossarms:

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 26, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Dudes

do I need to keep using DirectX 9 to avoid crashes in FOTS

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

alex314 posted:

M2 had a cool mechanic where a couple units garrisoning the city were free/had upkeep paid by the city. I wish we could use that system in further games, give me a choice of quality vs quantity and ability to go above the limit and pay extra while not having a proper mobile army. Maybe make the upkeep lower but just allow the garrison to act within the province.

This was the best solution.

Getting a big, capable garrison just popping into existence to defend a town for free is lame.

Is Shogun 2 diplomacy just not supposed to work? FOTS: A clan attacked my ally. I joined the war on the side of my ally, naturally. The enemy sent their full stack towards me instead, and my ally wiped them out by capturing the nearly empty capital.
Now I'm no longer allied to this clan and I have a fat diplomacy penalty for breaking an alliance? Wtf did I do wrong?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

The M2 ai loved to send all their units away from their castles when you have a full stack a turn away for some reason, so it's pretty understandable why they moved to fixed, always there garrisons.

That's just a crutch for terrible AI though, it doesn't mean that Magic Garrison is a *good* solution.

Kaal posted:

I’m not sure from your description whether they declared war on you, or you accidentally broke faith with them.

Neither. We were at war together after they were attacked and I joined the war on my ally's side. We won the war when my ally conquered the enemy. Suddenly, no longer allied, diplomatic penalty.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
You garrison fans probably enjoy automatic replenishment too :barf:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm trying out Divide Et Impera for Rome 2

Thus ended Pyrrhus of Epirus, his elephants and hoplites, and his ambitions for Magna Graecia

They couldn't resist the impulse of taking their army onto transport ships and attacking my lone warship off the coast

One ram to each unit was all it took. They had 8 or 10 ships and I sunk them all :black101: :hist101:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
DEI is quite fun.

I have a question about defensive town battles. I just fought one against the Legurians after taking Genua. No walls. Should I bother with traps and spikes etc? They seemed to cause me as much harm as they did the enemy, because it was hard to properly flank their mass of sword and spear units. I handled their initial cav charge well enough, the spikes and traps took out some of them, Triarii and pila routed them quickly.

Overall I lost 730 men and killed or captured 2300 (Normal difficulty). Good, but not great? My Equites and especially Hastati took a lot of damage as the melee blob fights dragged on.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Fort defense battles are the new bridge battles :pwn:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I thought I'd be clever and bring nearly 2 full stacks onto Sicily in one go after Carthage declared war on me (despite great relations and treaties :mad: ), and putting the furthest invader into a fort. Welp, the Carthaginians brought two full stacks and a garrison, rode past the fort and attacked the general who wasn't in a fort, and it turned into a regular battle. With unfortunate terrain. Had to fight uphill with the reinforcements. It was pretty epic though. I lost 1700 men and killed or captured 4500. Have fun being worked to death in the salt mines, you treacherous elephant-riding scumbags. :black101:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Jesus christ... in a game that's over 10 years old and was patched for 5 years they never managed to fix the bug where the AI's ships won't unload when attacking your port city. Some of them just get stuck in the harbor and, if you have battle time limit turned off, you have to concede defeat even though you have been doing everything correctly. gently caress's sake CA. :ssj:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nethalin posted:

Rome 2 is great. It's probably their most polished and easy to grasp, straightforward historical title. The graphics on a modern PC look excellent. The game design doesn't feel like it's aged at all. I think it's their best game that doesn't have elves in it.

Polished? Are you serious? It's still filled with serious bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dogstile posted:

Like what? I didn't run into anything i'd consider serious the last time I played. Did I just get lucky?

How about the one where the AI often can't disembark correctly during the many battles involving amphibious/marine units, leaving ships motionless where you can't even attack them? It locks the battle and the only way out is to admit defeat even though you'd easily win it under normal conditions.
Or the one where AI units get stuck on gates.