Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Edit: So what does Plex do for Roku? does it only stream compatible formats, or does it convert on the fly like PS3 Media Server?

Just use Plex server on a PC/Mac and the plex roku channel. It'll handle all the dirty detail stuff you can watch poo poo on your roku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We cut cable 2 years ago and have never looked back. It started with us buying a laptop that had an hdmi port.
This last month we bought a new bluray player (after our old one died) ad it had several nice media streaming options.

We are now looking into getting a TV for our bedroom. My question is: which is the better value, a Smart tv such as Samsung or a non-smart tv with a roku box for media?

Honestly probably the non smart tv with roku box, it's going to have a lot more options for content.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Meydey posted:

Comcast has a deal in my area (Seattle) that is 30mb Internet/Basic Economy tv channels for $79.99 regular price. Next week I'm going to drop Triple Play, and go with that.
Ooma(voip) is currently on sale at Costco for $99, and I just got a new 6121 to replace the lovely Comcast voip modem.
This should drop my bill from $145 to $79.99 plus fees.

This is exactly what I did (drop triple play, go to blast plus + ooma), although I did add in a Tivo premiere box because I can't get OTA signals at my house. No complaints at all, and my internet actually got bumped from 30mbps up to 50mbps.

The digital economy channel lineup is surprisingly decent for the price.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So I've since cancelled the basic TV service through TW and have just Internet with them. I've been using a Terk HD antenna to get the local channels and I already have a WDTV Live Plus for watching any digital content. However, I'm interested in dabbling with some of the online services like Amazon, Netflix, etc. So far I've been doing a free trial of Hulu Plus and I'm not that impressed. Their selection is limited for what I'm interested in, the ads are annoying and I just don't see the desire in paying money for it. What are some suggestions for online services? I'm considering trying Amazon Prime next because I order things from there often already so 2-day shipping would be nice. My girlfriend also has a Kindle to use with it. How's their tv/movie selection? Is Netflix worth pursuing these days?

I subscribe to both because I get so much other value out of Amazon prime that it's a no brainer, and Netflix still has much better apps than the Amazon prime video apps.

There's a lot of crossover between Netflix and Amazon, but it really depends on what you want to watch. TV wise it's mostly older seasons of shows, plus a bit of original content. Movies are all over the place.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

berzerkmonkey posted:

So, after seeing that my next cable/phone/internet bill was going to be $190, I decided it was time to end it all. I called up Comcast, and the best they could do was to get me down to about $150 - $10 less than I was paying previously, but the damage was done. I took the offer but decided to make a change. I'm moving from Sprint to Ting, so I'll be saving around $100 per month on the cell bill, so I'm in a mindset to save money.

I started off by buying an Ooma - my mom has been using one for a month now, and it's working well. I decided to keep Internet through Comcast ($75) but drop phone and cable. Now the big decision - do I keep cable? In looking at some of the lower tier Dish options, $25 seems pretty reasonable, but that requires a two-year contract and the price goes up after one year. In addition, when trying to find out if I would even be able to use Dish due to the height of the trees bordering my property, I was told that I'd have to first sign up for a contract and that "the installer would make it work." Really? I need to sign a two-year contract for something I don't even know will work? What the hell?

So that left me with one other option - U-verse. One year plan, $100 per month for 28Mbps down and 200 channels, four tuner DVR (2 SD, 2 HD), $150 in debit cards, and, best of all, a free 30 day trial.

So I'm going to give it a shot - I know this is the "Cutting cable" thread, but I figure for $25 extra, I'm willing to keep cable if I can cut my bill almost in half. Is anyone interested in commentary regarding how the install and day-to-day of U-verse goes? I don't get the service installed until the 27th, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can really post anything.

Does Comcast offer Blast Plus! where you live? For us, $80 gets 50mbps internet service + 45 channels of tv (fairly decent selection actually, has comedy central, AMC, A&E, etc) , certainly worth the extra $5 a month since OTA antenna was really spotty.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Coffee Wolf posted:

Yeah I just went to Blast Plus a week and a half ago, you really ought to consider it. It might be because we have a competitor cable co in town, but the guy gave me HBO for a year and cut the "HD technology" fee. Lost a ton of channels no one in the house watched, but still have ESPN HD even though all the sports are supposed to be gone - that will be fine for the couple Sunday Night Football games I might watch. I also discovered that I can watch some of the shows from channels that are not part of the package via the Xbox app (Continuum from SYFY and Ghost Adventures from Travel Channel are all I've tried so far.)

Yeah, we noticed the same about the Xbox app, it can pull a number of channels that we don't get, and almost fills in the gaps of stuff we cared about from the old package we had.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not that I know of - is it something offered to new subscribers? I asked retentions for the cheapest option and this was not one of them.

It's available to both new and existing customers where I live.

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html

It's cheaper for the first 12 months for new customers. Retentions didn't offer it to me either, I had to explicitly ask for it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Goons,

what are my options for getting NFL games without cable/dish? I've seen the Madden 25 $99 anniversary edition that comes with Sunday Ticket, but I'd like to be able to stream from my PS3, which that package doesn't seem to be able to do.

I don't care about anything other than Red Zone. I want Red Zone.

Is paying the $300ish for the full Sunday Ticket package not an option? My brother in law has done that in the past, it's cheaper than hitting up a bar as long as you've got decent internet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Where is the $300 package? Can't find it anywhere.

You can call and ask, but they usually don't open up signup until closer to the start of the season:

http://www.sportsgeekery.com/28772/get-nfl-sunday-ticket-online-without-directv/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not to be a double bumping jerk and this may be the wrong thread, but does anything out there actually support Netflix profiles yet? Is it just the PS3?

The demonstration video seems to be showing crap that doesn't actually exist yet on the web, and I haven't find any device apps that are profile aware.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bo_chrud posted:

Someone asked about cheapest way to watch Sunday Ticket:

http://kotaku.com/the-cheapest-way-to-watch-the-nfl-this-year-1041559197

Yeah, but this doesn't work on PS3, which was what the dude wanted.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Joe Don Baker posted:

Apple TV supports it.

Heck yea, looks like 360 supports it now too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

UFO posted:

Has anyone found a solution for TV tuner cards and utilizing them within Plex? I can do some leg work if it isn't straight forward.

This isn't available right now in Plex as far as I'm aware. It's a feature being considered at some point (as XBMC supports it), but isn't present in the current beta Home Theater builds. Most likely using XBMC is your best bet in the short term.

If you have an HDHomeRun you may be able to use the DLNA streams it provides

EDIT:

Oh wait, I lied some guys hacked some stuff together, XBMC still may be a better option:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57893-live-tv-pvr-in-plex-home-theater/

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 9, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Yeah. I actually just want Red Zone, if that has it I am all game for just hooking up a computer or tablet to my TV.

Well, this explains why Madden doesn't come with sunday ticket for the ps3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/ps3-wont-get-nfl-sunday-ticket-this-year-does-receive-live-eve/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mahoning posted:

So I have my cousin's Time Warner login, my moms Directv login, and my sister's Xfinity login. What iOS apps can utilize these? I've already got WatchESPN, HBOGO, and NBCSports Live Extra.

If you've got kids, most of the kids tv network apps "unlock" addition episodes of shows with cable provider logins.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

May also be uncertainty around recent court decisions. Aereo has done ok, but one of their competitors with a pretty similar business model just got slammed hard.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

raej posted:

We basically only have cable tv services (FiOS) in our house so my wife can watch mindless HGTV, TLC, Bravo, or ID Discovery. We have a roku 2 HD and an LG Smart TV as well as other small devices (android stick, raspberry pi, old OC) laying around.

Would I have a convincing argument with her on cutting cable if I can show her she can still tune into these channels?

If so, how?

Legally? Depends on the show, but you can purchase shows from Amazon, iTunes, etc. Bravo, TLC and ID have seemingly random full episodes available online for free, but HGTV requires a TV provider login.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 24, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

We have a "Roku HD" (model 2500X on the back, this one I think) and I saw the Netflix app doesn't have Profiles. Does anyone know if this is something that Roku has to/can update?

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/11/12/new-netflix-on-roku/

It twill make it to the Roku 3 at some point, other models are up in the air.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the current state of affair for online movie rentals/streaming? From what I understand my choices are either Amazon or iTunes. Are movies released for online renting/streaming the same day that they're released on blurays? Do they have weird contractual bullshit like the current Netflix streaming situation where movies get pulled from the catalog?

There's plenty of other services, Vudu, Redbox, Xbox, Sony, CinemaNow, etc but they all have pretty similar pricing and availability, so not super useful.

I've generally not noticed any huge gaps in availability, but you're paying a premium over disc based rentals.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BigBoss posted:

Aside from the Ooma, are there any other options that people can recommend? I'm using VOIP through my local cable co. but it's starting to get kind of expensive. I'm trying to cut cable TV and phone, but I'd like to port that number out to another service. I see Google Voice is changing in May, so I'm not so sure that GV+ObiHai an option any longer. Has anyone tried services like MagicJack or any of that crap? What about other VOIP devices or services?

Do you already have an ObiHai? That can be used with a bunch of other VoIP providers.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

My girlfriend cut the cable this year but she wants the Olympics. The only thing is that she wants it on the TV and doesn't want to watch it on the laptop. Are there any options other than cable for this that aren't :filez: territory? I go to the bars or a friends house for sports and don't watch the Olympics so I'm not sure if there is a Roku channel or something for this.

I'm assuming you're in the US? Without a cable TV login and the ability to hook a PC up to the TV, you are a kidn of out of luck.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/08/winter-olympics-2014-online/

Can you just hook up an antenna and pick up your local NBC affiliate?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

I got a Fire TV and it is way faster than my Roku 2. The UI is better too, a lot less wasted screen space when browsing. My only complaint is in browsing content from Amazon there is no way to separate the free stuff from the not-free stuff. If you want to browse around for something to watch for free then you basically have to do it on a computer because the Fire TV mostly shows you stuff for rent or purchase.

edit: After a bit more clicking around, the difficulty in finding the Prime content that I pay $99/year to stream is seriously annoying. I'm giving it a few more days but ATM I am leaning towards returning it.

I just picked one up, and I'm leaning towards a return as well. The Netflix app is old and janky, Plex has an annoying audio issue, and the rest of the app content just isn't there. Outside of Plex, I think I'm honestly better served by the Xbox 360. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pillowpants posted:

I've been talking about it for years and the wife and I finally ready to cut the cord, but I've got a few questions.

1. My wife works from home sometimes so we need a home phone as our cell signal kinda sucks. Since canceling our triple play comcast package to go to a Double play dramatically increases the phone price, what is the best option out there?

2. Roku, Apple TV, or chrome cast? I'm leaning towards the new Roku, but people seem to really love all 3.

3. Is there anywhere I can actually watch a show live?

4. If I have a friends comcast login, can I use chrome cast to stream the video from my computer to the tv? Are there better options here?

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

I did what you did a year and a half or so ago, switched to Blast Plus, it got us a good amount of TV and 50mbps internet for $80-90, and then this month switched back to triple play, as they keep running promotions which made BlastPlus + phone more expensive than the triple play.

#1: I used Ooma for a year, it worked decently well, although there's an up front cost. Could also look at something like BasicTalk.

#3: Antenna is your best bet

#4: do you have an Xbox 360? The comcast Xbox app is actually very good, and lets you watch shows you don't get via your cable plan strangely (although not the premium channels).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BigFactory posted:

I understand that. I'm asking if there is support through things other than Roku, but I guess I'll ask somewhere else on the internet.

They had an android beta app that you might have been able to sideload on FireTV.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

porktree posted:

I use Plex a lot (mainly in a usenet/Sickbeard/Couchpotato way) - I've never explored the channels much, but I thought they were more of an ala carte offering of fairly specific shows, and my (wrong?) impression of PlayOn is that they have complete shows from each channel. More a broadcast style. I was planning on getting another Chromecast anyway.

Plex channels and PlayOn are both scraping the same web sites to give you the "free full episodes" they post online, although it's possible PlayOn might do a better job of it or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I am sick of Brighthouse and am ditching them. I tried chromecast and didn't like it, should I try the roku 3 or a fire tv? Which has better speed / easier interface? I didn't see the fire tv in the op.

What are you wanting to do and what apps/services do you need?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pyroclastic posted:

My parents are going to be cord-cutting in the very near future because they can't stomach paying $200 for Comcast triple play any more.

They'll be changing their Netflix sub to get streaming, possibly subbing to Hulu+, getting a HD antenna, and they have Amazon Prime. They're not quite sure what they want, and I haven't used a streaming device yet. Roku or Fire TV?

I'm not going to deal with installing XBMC on a FireTV and supporting it for them; they have very little tolerance with things crashing, and it sounds like Fire w/ XBMC isn't terribly stable at the moment (and Amazon might update it so it breaks it anyway).
Given that, which streamer would be best for them?

If they're doing an antenna have you thought about a Tivo? Depending on what internet plan they have they may be interested in something like Blast Plus which is like 80 bucks a month but includes a pretty decent tv selection.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

burndtjamb posted:

Since we're already discussing android devices and flash-based streaming content, I'm gonna go ahead and ask: am I correct to assume there's no elegant front end option/plugin available for anything to allow easy access to cable-provider authenticated content like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Live and TBS Live? I recently cut cable TV service but I still use my parents' account to access the aforementioned streams as well as HBO Go and WatchESPN. I've been looking for a way to make this content available on my television without having to resort to tab casting or connecting my PC to it.

Which cable provider?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Slippery42 posted:

Is there a consensus on the best DVR solution for over the air TV these days? I really like the idea of the Channelmaster DVR+, but not so much the idea that it only hooks up to one TV. A whole-home DVR would be preferable. I'm fine with homebrewing something since I have some spare computer parts laying around, but since the HTPC thread OP is a bit out of date, I'm a bit lost on two points in particular:

-Is there a particular model of TV tuner I should get (or avoid)?
-Would I need additional software for that tuner to receive a channel guide in order to schedule recordings? Would said software play well with Plex, XBMC, and the like?

This just got announced and is probably worth a look:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota-dvr/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

tonic posted:

Has anyone used the internet only NFL Sunday ticket in the past? Thinking about purchasing it, but reading online there seem to be lots of complaints about poor video quality and buffering issues.

As long as you have decent internet its good. My brother in law had it and switched to clearwire (lol) and it was not good.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zogo posted:

I'm in the Chicago area and it's basically the same rate (with a leased modem) that Blue Scream mentioned.

Yea, I guess that's not surprising. I remember there being some class-action lawsuit in the last decade that my parents got a check for because the company was being deceptive about that stuff.

Everyone I know in Chicago that was with AT&T ended up switching to Comcast, anecdotal, but I never talked to anyone who had a good experience when I lived there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I dunno if I'm just late to the party or not, but Pluto.tv on the Fire TV has been a good replacement for just random background TV/channel flipping.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Does USA Live stream show it, or is that just sporadic?

http://www.usanetwork.com/videos/live

You're not going to be able to grab it via an antenna, and WWE Network doesn't offer it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Silly Burrito posted:

According to that list above, CNN is included (snarky joke about CNN here):

ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Travel Channel, Food Network, ABC Family, HGTV, Disney Channel and Maker -- all of which are going to be part of the basic, $20-per-month package. 

And there's a $5 add on package with more news

quote:

Customers can also add more channels with a sports extra package (expected to include the other ESPN channels) or Kids Extra package (Disney Junior, Disney XD and others) or a News & Info Extra package (Bloomberg TV, CNN Headline News) for an additional $5 monthly each.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Photex posted:

i'm hoping for a Fire TV app at least, this would make my wife an extremely happy woman.

FireTV support is listed in the press release.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hahaha, if this is true it'll be hilarious, because getting hosed by the content providers over licensing is exactly what lead Intel and Microsoft to abandon their streaming tv initiatives before they were released (as in they had a fully functional platform that they abandoned/sold because the content licensing was too expensive). People somehow thought it would be different coming from Sony.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 6, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, I signed up for a Sling TV trial, and there's no way it could actually replace cable for me unless they can beef up their on demand content, or make a cloud based DVR or something.

There is nothing we actually watch live, it's all DVRd or downloaded. If buying season passes on iTunes/Amazon would actually save me money for the shows I care about, I'd do that instead, but right now cable is cheaper.

Thwomp posted:

Here's an interesting thought: in Ars' review of SlingTV, the review said this:
[url=http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/sling-tv-review-do-cord-cutters-and-cord-nevers-even-want-live-tv/]

So is there a business model where channels just go away and we pay for individual shows?

On some level, I agree with this statement. I'm not really interested in all the bullshit a lot of networks throw up. I don't care that FX is playing a bunch of Marvel movies today. I'm really interested, however, in the newest episode of Justified. Same could go for AMC and their premier shows. And the last time our household cut the cord, this is kinda what we did for shows that weren't up immediately on Hulu. We paid for a season pass on iTunes and got to watch individual shows the next day.

But this isn't possible without completely blowing up the current studio system, right?

Yeah, pretty much this I guess.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 9, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

You should probably just call them.

Actually if you do this you may want to record your call, particularly if they offer you something different from what's on the website (which despite saying "online only" isn't really). Last time I called them to switch plans the rep lied to me and offered me a plan that doesn't actually exist. After about 10 hours on the phone with Comcast they threw enough bill credits and such my way to sort of make things match up, but ugh.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

god this blows posted:

So I got to play with the Playstation Vue service today at work. It works like Netflix in that when you first start up a stream it isn't full HD but very shortly it ramps up. The version we have shows bandwidth used by the stream and the 720p stream used 5.2Mbps. Honestly if they roll it out in my area and they support more than just the Playstation 3/4 I would look into it.

Does it have a full on-demand library, or just what you save to your DVR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cornuto posted:

I'm thinking of switching from cable to Sling, but the big drawback seems to be lack of DVR. Is there anyway to get around this? What's the prevailing feedback on Sling?

Lack of a DVR and poor "on demand" content was the deal breaker for Sling for me, I stuck with cable for now. I don't watch anything live anymore.

I figured I'd check back later this year and see if it had gotten any better.