Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Pretty sure ESPN3 requires both a participating ISP and a cable tv subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tk posted:

Not with all providers. I have Comcast internet only and have happily been using ESPN3 for a couple years. I believe Time Warner requires some sort of subscription that includes ESPN though.

No cable is tougher if you want sports. I can get most stuff I want, but for the remainder I've just resigned myself to going to the bar.

Local blackout can be a real motherfucker with online sports streaming, especially college football. An antenna can fill most of those holes, but ever once in a while some local cable outfit has the rights that week.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I kinda like "it just works".

Welcome to Cord Cutting/HTPCs. It doesn't do that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I was looking at the PlayOn Premium plan, and it lists ESPN and ESPN3 as available channels.

Is this subject to Xfinity log-in, or does it basically stream through the app and circumvent the verification process? I cannot stream through watchespn.com now because I do not carry cable TV, only broadband internet.

You're gonna need a login.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

:eng101: With the exception of Monday Night Football (ESPN) and the later-season Thursday night game (NFL Network), the only NFL games you get on TV come through channels you can get with an antenna. This only changes if you have DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket. This odd bit of pay-tv exclusivity makes me think the NFL is more likely than people think to come out with a streaming option for boxes. The NFL would really like to be making ALL the money off of broadcasts of their games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

toe knee hand posted:

So is it better in any way than getting a nice computer monitor and using that through my laptop as a dual monitor? It just seems to me that the whole "cutting cable" thing is only economical compared to other alternatives if you already have a TV. If you don't...

I guess it just seems to me that I may very well be an exception case and that what'll be best for me is different from what'll be best for other people (who have TVs). But I'm aware that a lot of people think they're exception cases when they really aren't, which is why I'm trying to get some outside feedback on this.

People who have TVs are the vast, vast majority. Do you understand what we mean by "cable" here?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

As a non-cable-haver I find that Hulu Plus is worth the 8 bucks a month to me and my wife, despite the fact that it has ads. We catch what we can live with the antenna and use Hulu Plus as a de-facto DVR. Gets us all our broadcast shows minus CBS (gently caress CBS who cares) and some cable stuff like @Midnight in a decent enough form. If I was already paying for cable and all those boxes and poo poo I probably wouldn't bother.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Parks and Rec hasn't been good for like 3 seasons, and Arrow is a comic book TV show, right? I think "read a book" is the correct solution to your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If they get this thing into the XBox One OneGuide (and MS adds support for the HDHomerun somewhere other than Media Player), I'm basically all set. Hell, I'd get it if they just added Chromecast support.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I set up the week trial for Sling TV and after 2 days, I cancelled. The video quality was fine. The biggest issue I had was the fact that I had forgotten how much crap is on tv. TNT was showing the 3 Matrix movies. tBS had 4 hours of Friends. hGTV was property bros after property bros. Food Network had 4 episodes of Guy Fieri shows in a row.

Almost 4 years of not having cable or satellite, I had forgotten how horrible the TV landscape was.

This happened to me. So much of it is just poo poo to have running in the background of whatever you're doing on a random Saturday, and of course most of it has dirt-cheap rerun rights so it's on Netflix anyway. I didn't cancel cable just because of how much it cost, I disliked the whole thing.

Still gonna get it for ESPN when college football comes back.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jakcson posted:

This is what I get for taking acid and not disconnecting my computer from the internet.

I don't even remember posting that, but I'm honestly shocked that I didn't get put on probation or banned for that (it probably helped that one of my posts in this thread had actual content).

I'm a huge dumbass sometimes. Sorry.

edit: Woah, my posts in a certain other thread were much worse. I need to stay away from people and the internet when I'm high and/or drunk.

edit2: Winners don't use drugs. Don't be like me. And get an HDTV antenna for your TV.

Were you on acid when you asked if it had ever occurred anyone in the Cutting Cable thread that broadcast TV can be received with an antenna?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

loquacius posted:

So, I've decided to give this cord-cutting thing a try (non-coincidentally, the weekend after the Verge's cost calculator thing got posted) and am looking into cancelling my Comcast TV service. I found a pretty sweet Internet-only deal on their website, but when I try to go through the process of signing up for it it's not clear from the website's word choice whether I'm replacing my current deal with it or just adding it. (For the record, this is what I see there.) Would signing up for this negate my TV service, or would it just "upgrade" my Internet service and keep the TV service active? If it's the latter and I have to call them, do I have a good shot at convincing them to let me use this promo pricing, or would I have to settle for something less awesome slash more expensive?

You should probably just call them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cashed in my free month of SlingTV on the Xbox One. Between on-and-off picture quality, a bad interface on the Xbox, the PC, and Android, no Chromecast support (seriously??), weird programming blackouts, and a pretty sudden realization that ESPN was the only thing worth watching, I'm definitely not putting money down for it. If they put out a Disney-only tier where I'm basically paying $15-20 a month for the ESPNs and the associated online streaming services, I'll put up with the jank, but I'm not dropping $25 a month for that and a bunch of other crap I skip over every time. Basically it's cheaper cable still sadled with a bunch of poo poo that pisses me off about cable.

The XBox One is adding an OTA tuner with OneGuide support, though, so that's nice. I wish it would just use my HDHomerun that way and record but hey, baby steps.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sling's $20 a month.

And the Xbox One app is notoriously bad. Try to watch it on any other device.

The only ESPNs that come with the $20 package are 1 and 2. The rest come for an extra $5. So in the $20 package I'm paying for TNT, TBS, HGTV, and a bunch of other stuff I don't want. Its the same bundling problem as cable, just at a smaller scale. I'd be okay with it if they at least broke it up by media cartel - I can only get ESPN if I take Disney Channel, for instance. With the Time Warner and Scripps channels in the basic package, though, what's the point for me?

And the UI on Android is the same on the Xbox and PC, and they haven't bothered making it work on Android TV, so clearly it is what it is for the time being.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 14, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I got the OTA tuner for the Xbox One. It's nice having one box that turns the TV on and off and adjusts the volume, gives live TV a guide, does Hulu, does Netflix, and has a really good Plex app (other than Channels). Basically I finally have The One True Box.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Glass of Milk posted:

DVR is really only for broadcast sports, basically. I could go full streaming if I didn't care about watching NFL games.

That's basically how I feel. Hopefully they'll add DVR by the time football starts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also a couple days ago the Bing Rewards Hulu card went up in price, from (I think) 420 points for a month to 680.

Their resistance only makes my bot Bing harder

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

God drat it we're not all cancelling cable because what we really want is Cable With Buffering

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty trivial for me to send what is on my tablet or laptop to my tv

Screen/tab casting is garbage for idiots

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SlingTV is a thing now. It's basic cable with buffering and is kind of a huge piece of poo poo, but it gets you WatchESPN and the even-more-sports package gets you the rest of the ESPNs. SlingTV's own UI is basically like if someone sat down and said "how do I make the worst channel guide possible?" You get Disneys, Turners, Food/HGTV/Travel, and AMC/IFC for $20. Ondemand selection sucks and sometimes shows or movies end up getting blacked out for reasons of legal streaming rights.

Playstation Vue has even more channels and costs $50 and isn't available everywhere. It is also basically cable with buffering, which still sucks.

Apple keeps threatening to make the ultimate Cable With Buffering that includes your local stations, but most reports indicate that CBS, the only network left that acts like a network, is playing hardball. So they don't really have any reason to put out a new AppleTV yet. Somewhere at Apple there's an engineer who wanted to include MPEG2 decoding in the AppleTV that they probably should have listened to.

You can plug an antenna into an XBox One now and you get a pause/rewind window of 30 minutes. DVR capability coming in 2016. That'll basically make it the One True Box for cordcutters, since it will have the magic combo of live TV/DVR and the streaming services, but of course CONSOLE WARS so a large segment of the population will refuse to buy it.

AndroidTV has had mixed results - the ShieldTV is great hardware for streaming and actually supports 4K video, but despite AndroidTV's pretty-good Live Channels guide app being there it has no MPEG2 support, so your HDHomeRun won't work with it unless it's a lovely transcode model whose picture looks like garbage. The Nexus Player supports MPEG2 but only in the Android M Developer Preview, and every time they fix something they break something else. The Nexus Player is kind of a piece of poo poo.

If your wife likes E! you still need cable.

There, you're caught up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ixian posted:

That...is pretty much what I said? :) I know it isn't Dish's choice, certainly.

Which is 720p for the most part, but there's some down-converting going on, particularly with ESPN, which has the most variable quality of all their channels, no doubt in part related to the massive scale problems they had around March madness - it's not always done at the client end.

It's still disingenuous to claim 1080p/5.1 prominently at launch if the platform is only "technically" capable of it when virtually all of the content people are actually going to watch on it is less, whatever the reason.

The ESPN feed on Sling is just the WatchESPN stream run through their 2nd round of artifacing. SlingTV is loving creaky rear end poo poo and is destined to be a historical footnote.

Still gonna pay for it to use the ESPN app during college football season, though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LTE data caps and cordcutting probably aren't a good mix.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Anyone who is arguing that any sort of wireless internet in the US is going to have speeds and data caps that allow for a reasonable streaming-as-primary-source setup is full of poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

It's not LTE or through the cellular but it can be done.

http://ranchwireless.com/residential-internet-plans/

$90 a month for 6 megabits with a 150-gig cap is loving terrible.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

It can be done, and between that and dial up is a no brainier

The original question was in reference to how to "get away from cable companies for Internet too." Yea, I guess if you live in the middle of goddamn nowhere and have no other choice, this poo poo tier internet with a garbage cap that costs way too much is a viable option. If there's cable in your neighborhood, though, this thing isn't going to get you off of it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Arkane posted:

I'll be at a wedding on Saturday night, and would like to record a college football game from my hotel room.

Things I have: Laptop (no HDMI input), Antenna, (probably) a reliable signal, external 1TB HD if needed

Things I doubt I'll have: access to play around with the room's TV/cables

How do I get this game onto a laptop/hard drive in the form of a recording?

Simple TV seemed like it might've been a solution, but the reviews on Amazon are nearly universally negative. So I am looking for a Simple TV alternative I guess? Any ideas? Not having much luck trawling the internet for an answer.

Is this game on a broadcast channel, or ESPN?

If it's ESPN the best you're going to do in a hotel room is a lovely standard-def recording. And even being able to get that depends a lot on how weird your hotel's TV system is.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Arkane posted:

Great Success! Hauppage tuner gets a great HD signal right to my laptop.

I even tried Hauppauge's "Scheduler" DVR, testing it for 1 minute, and it recorded it perfectly. The only downside is that it is a 99mb large file for 1 minute of recording.

What I'm worried about if I try to record something for 3 hours is that the sheer size of the file causes problems. Should I record 1 hour at a time to try to minimize problems? What is paramount to me is making sure there is a recording, not necessarily the quality or splitting it into multiple files.

HDTV is basically a bigass MPEG2. You're gonna see big file sizes. NTFS's maximum file size is something bonkers like 200 TB, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's just writing the transport stream to the hard drive, the entire recording isn't staying in memory or anything like that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wish I knew when the next Roku is coming out. I have thought about an Apple TV but if the Roku 4 comes out soon, I will wait for that.

Only buy an AppleTV if it's the only streaming box you've ever owned. Otherwise the amount of poo poo it can't do will frustrate the gently caress out of you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Oh hey, there's a Win8/10 app for WatchESPN. Beats the poo poo out of using flash.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Considering how God drat long it took to shift from analog SD broadcast to MPEG2 ATSC I wouldn't buy anything with OTA 4K in mind for at least a decade. TV broadcast formats don't change like home video formats.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is 1080 even the majority of broadcasts yet? Or is upscaled 720 still a big thing?

In countries that have been to the moon, it basically comes down to the network choosing either 1080i or 720p. Some go with 720p instead of 1080i for reasons of sports, since they can have a true 60 fps progressive picture without having to devote their entire signal to pushing 1080p60 (a lot of local broadcasters run OTA subchannels). Most modern TVs have a good enough deinterlacer that 1080i channels showing sports don't suffer much at all, though. Most scripted content runs at 24 fps, and you aren't really going to see a difference between 720p and 1080i despite the difference in resolution just because a lot of broadcasters don't give a 1080i signal the bitrate to really shine, and that's not even accounting for the horseshit compression cable companies subject those feeds to as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Is this thread about providing tech support for someone with cable now?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tk posted:

I mostly use it for a login to ESPN for college football/Monday Night Football, and most of the time that works, but it's shaky enough that I'll cancel after football season.

This is literally the only reason to use SlingTV

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

nickutz posted:

It's closer to double of that. But ESPN sees the writing on the wall with cable subs being on a decline. They are cutting $200 million from the budget over the next two years. And Disney's CEO said everything but confirm ESPN will have to go over-the-top like HBO NOW in less than five years.

I'd go year round with ESPN if you got all of the ESPN for a reasonable price, say $15 or less. I'm paying Sling $25 for that and I'm only keeping it until January.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cable with Buffering seems to be catching on.

Hooraaaaaaaay

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

diremonk posted:

What is the go to for PVR/DVR software? I'm currently using Windows Media Center but I don't need all that since I use Plex for all my video needs. I just want a simple program that will record a couple shows from my OTA antenna and HDHomerun box. I've tried running MythTV in a VM but wasn't happy with it since it couldn't find any stations even though WMC and the Homerun app report everything being fine.

I don't mind spending money if there is one out there that is decent that isn't an all in one media center experience.

If your computer has WMC just use that. There's even a Plex extension that'll tap into it called PlexWMC that lets you sort-of reliably play Live TV and watch/schedule recordings from Plex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Thats the one all the xboners bought.

I'm sure they'll be available real cheap when MS turns on DVR in 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think it can view Amazon Video stuff through a web browser (or at least I think that's what Shield owners have told me)

That's gotta be fun to control with a remote.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have a Harmony Remote, there's a button on it for "COMPUTER". Wife presses it, and then the keyboard/touchpad takes over, and the remote just does volume. It's passed the wife test, my parents (that are computer illiterate) and my baby sitter. It could not be easier.

It's for sure worlds easier than hacking together a solution to make all the different types of STB work together.

Honestly at this point the only real rear end in a top hat streaming service is Amazon and if you have a game console, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

If you run Plex, take a look at http://hdhrviewer.zynine.net -- I can vouch for the v2 version. I'm using it right now to watch OTA from my HDHR on my AppleTV via plex. Owns so much.

Wow, that thing looks like it's improved a lot since that horrible weekend I spent a year ago getting it to work on the name of "Chromecast is the one true box!"