Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the OP is kind of selling the Roku box short, or maybe I just like mine too much.

Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, MLB.tv, stream from a computer with Plex (or Subsonic for Android fans?), some NBC news stuff, and other video options.

For audio, there's Pandora, Slacker, Rdio, MOG, ShoutCast, Soma.fm, etc.

And if 720p is enough, a box can cost as little as $50 or $60.

Also, most people probably already know, but Amazon Instant Video offers a few thousand movies/shows for no cost to primary Amazon Prime account holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

skattered posted:

When you guys talk about mlb.tv on devices like Roku, is there an extra monthly fee associated? Are my local games blacked out? Also, what's the deal with hbo go, do I need an account that subscribes to HBO?
Yes, yes, and yes.

You need an mlb.tv subsciption (to watch live games, at least), local games are blacked out (with a pretty liberal definition of 'local'), and HBO Go requires a HBO subscription from a participating cable provider.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For Liar, here is a list of all the public Roku channels. You can use the categories on the left to view shorter lists.

If there's a downside to a Roku, it's probably the UI. It's built around icons and "tooltips", and there can be a lot of scrolling. Plus, text entry is a pain (think Xbox-ish).

Speaking of which, I feel like an idiot because I've had a a Roku for a few years and just discovered that the rewind / fast forward buttons will scroll you a page at a time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

NewcastleBrown posted:

Do any of you do this? If so, what program are you using for it?
Yes, Plex. Kind of sucks for streaming music, but it works well for video.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, the Plex Media Manager (that pops up as a web page) certainly sucks. I think the developers even acknowledge that.

The actual server and app work much better, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Peglegington posted:

I'm averaging 35mbps down, so I imagine it's not really a problem, ...
Not even close to a problem. Like by a speed factor of five.

In the last few years, we've never had problems with a HD stream, an MMO, and browsing/Youtube all going at the same time (plus phones and an iPad connected) on a 5 mbps connection.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Craptacular! posted:

The talk about Plex here being slow and bad and web-based makes my skin crawl compared to my past with DLNA devices.
Just to make sure you're clear, that talk that worries you is about Plex's browser based Media Manager, not the streamer itself or its interface on a Roku box. Still a valid concern, but not something you'll have to deal with regularly. You only use the Media Manager to add (or delete) media to your Plex library, and after initial setup you can tell it to watch folders for changes so you don't really have to see the Media Manager again if you don't want to.

I don't have a Boxee, but I do have a couple Roku boxes and a stock AppleTV. There are some little differences, but personally in general I think it boils down to:

Roku: more options (e.g. Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, etc.), terrible options for streaming your iTunes music library. Can be cheaper.

AppleTV: Naturally, a much better interface to your entire Apple ecosystem, but video has to be in Apple format. Has Airplay and Airplay mirroring capability.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just for info, Roku added two new music channels in the last few weeks -- Spotify and Amazon Cloud Player.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

peepsalot posted:

Is there any reason to upgrade to a Roku 2 XS? Is the interface much more responsive or anything?
It is a little bit, also the main screen background is dark, not white. The box is smaller, and, um, newer remotes have dedicated Netflix, Pandora, and Crackle buttons. That's all I can think of.

And, after I posted my previous post, I found out that those two new channels are only available on newer models (so far, they say). Apparently there are about seven channels that are "2 or stick only". Wouldn't surprise me if that's normal from here on out, but that's just a guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For us :corsair:s Crackle has All in the Family, Good Times, and Sanford and Son. Looks like they took down the (original) Bob Newhart show, though, which is a pity.

re: OTA. Don't forget there's a possibility that her cable company broadcasts local networks in the clear over their line even if you don't have a cable subscription. I know this practice is going away, but you might want to give it a shot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stealing cable? Uh, I guess so, never thought of that because our local cable company tells (or did a couple years ago) people it was ok for local channels, and sometimes mentioned it for people to try if they were concerned about signal quality before signing up.

Never mind, then.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

withak posted:

There is a Roku channel somewhere that can read media from a local USB connection if your device has a USB port. I don't know what kind of formats it can handle though.

These right here

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wait. Seems to be a bit of confusion.

OpaqueEcho posted:

aside from Plex (which would require that the media be available on an actual computer, not the router).

Plex Media Server (PMS) can access network shares. But you need to have PMS running on a computer (not your router) in order to stream to your Roku.

I think what other people are saying is that there's no solution for a direct router -> Roku stream.

e: drat, too slow.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DizzyBum posted:

- Invest in a Roku 3 and sign up for Netflix and whatever other services we need to keep my wife happy (she's the TV fiend of the house).
Just make sure that you browse through what's available on Netflix, Amazon, and especially Hulu Plus before you commit, to make sure enough is available. HGTV in particular seemed to be kind of lacking last time I checked.

For info, Roku will also stream files in these formats off a USB drive.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
One thing is, you mentioned "most of the time, it's on for background noise". If that implies channel surfing to any extent, your cost argument hits a roadblock. One thing streaming solutions are horrible at is quickly, easily changing "channels".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DizzyBum posted:

Curiously, what's a recommended speed for typical HD streaming media setups? AT&T's lowest tier is 3Mb/s.
To add, Netflix recommends 5, Amazon says 3.5 at the lowest. I've found 5 to work just fine in the past.

e: and for planning purposes, Roku's went on super sale last Black Friday. Like $20-$40 off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Smythe posted:

I bought some poo poo on amazon instant video and its only playback option is on a Kindle. Now, I have a Kindle so I wasn't too awfully bummed but that was pretty annoying and now I'm wary of that garbage.
That seems odd. Stuff I've rented/bought plays on all kinds of devices. Do you mean it won't play on other devices, or do you mean your Kindle is the only thing that shows up in the "deliver to" drop down?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can limit the data rate for Netflix. Sign in and go to My Account - Manage Video Quality. They give you three options:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1.0 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But the Hulu + CBS thing also gives you a fairly big backlog of shows, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Veskit posted:

Maybe I'm just missing why I'd want something else.
You wouldn't. The Android boxes are more suited to, shall we say, gadget enthusiasts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Slowhanded posted:

MLB tv is 25 for the season.
That's each per 4 people, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope "Apple Device" means laptops too because while I have an Apple TV my roommate owns the TV and he's moving out at the end of the month.
Doesn't look like it. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone.

hbonow.com is up, by the way, and has probably all the currently available info (not much) on it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a timed-exclusive. Just a few months IIRC.
Three months, to be exact. So, it'll end towards the end of July.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You get a free 30-day trial.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You'd probably have better luck in the TiVo thread, but

Orvin posted:

2. How are the TiVo mini devices? Can I use them to watch live broadcasts, or is it only recorded shows? Like can I use them to channel surf in a separate room and not have to buy multiple antennas?
Pretty cool, both, and I assume just one antenna. I have a Roamio Plus (cable) and a Mini, and the Mini does everything through the base model. I don't think the Mini even has a tuner.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I wasn't watching last night, but over the weekend we watched almost two seasons of GoT through our Apple TV and I can't remember any video glitches.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hadlock posted:

How much back catalog do you have with HBO go/now? Can I pick up season 1 of entourage, or the final season of big love, or catch the last half of season 2 of Rome, or watch that one episode of The Pacific I missed? If I lose an argument with my lady friend can I queue up an episode of sex and the city? Pick up true blood from where I left off (season 4 is where the werewolves becomes a prominent plot device, right?)
HBO Now has available:

8 seasons of Entourage (with 3A and 3B for some reason).
5 seasons of Big Love
2 seasons of Rome
10 episodes of The Pacific
6 seasons of Sex and the City (with 6A and 6B)
7 seasons of True Blood

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems to be.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also a couple days ago the Bing Rewards Hulu card went up in price, from (I think) 420 points for a month to 680.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheScott2K posted:

I can't imagine handing that poo poo to my wife and being like "enjoy television!"
Should be the thread subtitle.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheScott2K posted:

Remember when this thread was about how to live without cable and not about how to cancel cable and pirate all the content you want?
Not really, people just used to be more discreet about it. It's always been mostly about how not to pay for cable TV.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Medullah posted:

If you're looking to stream Amazon Prime you're going to need a Fire Stick or Fire TV. Unless there's a haxor way around it, they're the only streaming devices that currently support Amazon video.
No, that's not right. Roku has had an Amazon Video app for many years.

As for pmchem's question, the little experience I've had with app-enabled blu ray players shows the apps are generally crappy and hardly ever get updated.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pillowpants posted:

Anything else I should keep in mind?
Possible things to consider:

Antenna stuff is kind of like cellphone stuff in that it really depends on your exact location.
You can't really channel-surf with an all/mostly streaming setup, if that's a potential problem.
It looks like Sling TV doesn't stream MTV, but Playstation Vue does (can be streamed to certain things that aren't a playstation).
Consider your streaming usage and ISP bandwidth cap, if applicable.
How much of that 220 is for the television part? Since it sounds like you'll probably keep the internet and maybe the phone service.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's not clear (to me, at least), are you wanting to pull the local stations off the air from a location different than where the TV is, or stream the local channels over the internet?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Off the top of my head, you can only do that with a subscription to a streaming service, and the only one I can think of right now is Playstation Vue (which works on some non-Playstation devices, like the Amazon Fire TV), but Vue only has local stations available in certain cities.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tivo box is a surprisingly good experience for as close to an "all in one" box as you can get, though, even if you just use an OTA antenna. Especially if you're looking for a multi-room setup.

Not exactly the cheapest thing, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A little info that may help (for Cheesus):

That American Pickers show is on the History Channel, and also available on Hulu.
PS Vue recently put out a Roku app, but it doesn't seem to have the History Channel (but it does have some sort of DVR-ish capabilities).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
... USA is the other one. And maybe their Golf channel.

pzy posted:

Anyone splitting the cost of a SlingTV account with a few other people? Wondering if it works or if they have strict device limits or other sharing restrictions. Would be nice to split the $95/mo top tier one with 3-5 others!
Don't know in practice, but their official word is Orange = 1 stream, Blue = 3 concurrent streams.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Roku.

Amazon Fire TV and the Apple TV boxes (even the 'old' 3rd gen) will also work.

E: to clarify, all three have Plex apps and Netflix apps.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bull3964 posted:

They already are in a lot of cases.
Who besides CBS and HBO? I can't think of any.