Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm sure this is due to the content licenses including a big "NO HOPPER" clause.

The only reason they were able to come up with the service is because it was payment for adding a delay to the hopper.

I'm really hoping that the one device at a time thing I've read a few times isn't true. I could maybe see myself paying $20 a month if two devices could be active at a time but there's no chance I'm paying that for access on a single device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Another easy way to do searches is to search a musician in the videos section.

You get a bar with 20 songs and each song you click (as long as you haven't clicked it before on the same day) counts as a search. If you have a touchscreen, it barely takes any time at all to max out your points.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Is there a particularly compelling reason to choose a full size Fire TV over a Fire Stick if I won't be using it for playing games? The four core CPU and more RAM sound nice but I don't know how necessary that is for watching movies.

I've used both.

- Fire TV comes with the voice remote. Which is cool if you have a lot of Amazon stuff.
- Fire TV has an Ethernet port.
- Fire TV has a USB port you can use which is nice if you use a lot of sideloaded apps. You can plug in a usb keyboard/mouse or a dongle like FLIRC or the Logitech Unifying Receiver.
- If you have an extremely large Kodi library, navigation can be a little sluggish on the Fire TV Stick. It's still perfectly useable but there is a difference between the two.
- The extra RAM on the Fire TV means you can expand the video cache in Kodi.
- There's a few apps that are only available on the Fire TV.

Beyond that, it's not that big of a difference. You can get a refurb Fire TV for $79 but a Fire TV Stick is fine.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

Just got my sling tv invite, the stream quality is very good. I'm just waiting patiently for a fire tv application, you cannot sideload the android app.

I'm sitting on my invite until the app gets released. I want to test the full 7 days before putting down :20bux:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has it ever been said whether you had to pay for the sling tv if you already have a DISH account? Could this be used as a replacement for another set top box/DVR?

It's a standalone service.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sling TV really seems to be aimed at college students that want a cheap way to watch live channels over a true replacement for cable/satellite. I can't see it being competitive until they allow, at least, 2 streams at the same time.

(But I'm hoping they get TCM eventually)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Sling TV is doing a promo where you get a free Amazon Fire TV Stick or $50 off a normal Fire TV if you prepay for 3 months of service. Kinda ironic since the Sling TV app hasn't been released for it yet but the deal's still worth mentioning. The Sling TV app has been released. http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Digital-Sling-Television/dp/B00ODC5N80

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1002997141

quote:

Redeeming the Promotion

- Sign up for your subscription on the Sling TV website and prepay three months of Sling TV service.
- After signing up, you will receive a promotion code that can be used for $50 off Amazon Fire TV or a free Fire TV Stick.
- Copy the promotional code, go to https://www.amazon.com/redeemslingtvoffer, and add one Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick to your shopping cart.
- Proceed to check out. Paste or enter the promotional code in the “Enter a gift card or promotion code” field, click the ‘Apply’ button and complete your order.
- When your device arrives, simply plug it in, connect to the internet, and start enjoying instantly.

The promo code you receive must be redeemed by June 5, 2015.

quote:

Update
Existing Sling TV customers can contact Sling TV customer support and ask to be included in this promotion without having to signup a second time.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 12, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Huge_Midget posted:

Is there a consensus on which is the better streaming device to go with on this Sling TV promotion? I have an Xbox One already hooked to our main entertainment system, and with the options for a Roku 3, Roku Stick, Amazon Fire TV, or Fire TV stick, I wondered if there was a concrete reason one is better than the others? I have a nice fast wireless AC network, so speed is not a concern here. I'd probably use the device for a bedroom TV, so I was wondering if one stood out over the others. I already have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Being able to sideload XBMC/Kodi is a killer app for the Fire TV.

Burden posted:

Epix just went live today as well.

It's worth mentioning that Epix (along with EPIX 2, EPIX 3, EPIX Drive-In and the Sundance Channel) are under a $5 a month add-on package called Hollywood Extra.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 4, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New Sling news

quote:

A+E Networks’ channels – A&E, HISTORY, H2 and Lifetime – will be available by the end of March in Sling TV’s “Best of Live TV” core package.

Sling TV introduces two new add-on packs each priced at $5 per month:

- “Lifestyle Extra” includes truTV, Cooking Channel, DIY and WE tv, with FYI and LMN coming soon. With the addition of truTV, Sling TV now gives you additional access to March Madness games.
- “World News Extra” features Bloomberg TV, HLN, Euro News, France 24, NDTV 24/7, News 18 and Russia Today.

Pretty impressive get. Now I just hope they add a cheap way to add additional streams.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cornjob posted:

is this only available as an "add-on"? or can you subscribe to just these channels for $5?

if its add-on only, that's disappointing.i thought al la carte tv had arrived

Like withak said - A&E, History, H2 and Lifetime are going into the base $20 a month service. The other two bundles are $5 a month each.

I don't think we'll ever get truly al la carte tv since the providers own multiple stations and want them together.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Using their PC app through a HTCP and yes, I've checked it. I'll check it with a Fire stick that I have in another room, maybe the two are not equal. For a baseline I think Dish and Cable look like poo poo as well, or it could be that I've got a "gently caress off" sized screen.

It could also depends on the channel. I heard some of them only stream at 720p.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

Welp sling just died.

I'm currently watching El Rey.

Is it possible for individual channels to die?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there any good content on El Rey?

Honestly, most people would probably only like The Director's Chair (Robert Rodriguez interviews his friends - currently up John Carpenter, Guillermo Del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, Francis Ford Coppola)

But I love Lucha Underground and all the weird movies they run. Even Miami Vice in HD is fun to put on in the background.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A&E, Lifetime, History Channel and H2 went live on Sling.

Although it's kinda funny since it looks like Criminal Minds on A&E is blacked out. "Due to rights restrictions, this content cannot be streamed on Sling TV."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a weird one.

quote:

Sling TV and HBO today announced that Sling TV will be the first live Internet TV service to offer linear and Video-On-Demand (VOD) content from HBO. HBO will be available in time for the “Game of Thrones” and “Silicon Valley” season premieres on April 12. Sling TV with HBO will be available on all devices supported by Sling TV including: Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick; current-generation Roku players and Roku TV models; Xbox One; Android and iOS devices; and Macs and PCs.

HBO will be available for $15 per month when customers sign up for the “Best of Live TV” core package. The new offering includes one live channel and the same extensive VOD library HBO provides on its other platforms. Each month, HBO offers more of the biggest and latest Hollywood hit movies, original HBO Films, groundbreaking documentaries, sports, and comedy and music specials.

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sling-tv-to-launch-hbo-in-time-for-game-of-thrones-premiere/

I thought Showtime would be next.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

The only thing SlingTV needs now is to add the ability to watch multiple streams, either through generously doing so or by having a per stream charge. I'd consider moving over to it if I could do so on my 2 TVs.

Does it have DVR capabilities? (pausing, skipping forward afterward, etc)

Yeah, I'm hoping they add the ability to add additional streams for $5. Being able to split the cost with a friend would make it more attractive.

It depends on the channel. Cartoon Network has no VOD content and no ability to time shift the live stream. AMC has limited VOD (currently Better Call Saul - 2 episodes, Comic Book Men - 2 episodes, The Walking Dead - 4 episodes), no ability to time shift the live stream but you can time shift the VOD content. El Rey has a large VOD library and the ability to time shift most of the live stream.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Well Engadget says it's not HBO Now, it's a live stream of HBO, but also with VOD. So Apple still has its HBO Now exclusive.

I wonder if that means Sling people will get access to HBO GO like they do with WatchESPN.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Cashed in my free month of SlingTV on the Xbox One. Between on-and-off picture quality, a bad interface on the Xbox, the PC, and Android, no Chromecast support (seriously??), weird programming blackouts, and a pretty sudden realization that ESPN was the only thing worth watching, I'm definitely not putting money down for it. If they put out a Disney-only tier where I'm basically paying $15-20 a month for the ESPNs and the associated online streaming services, I'll put up with the jank, but I'm not dropping $25 a month for that and a bunch of other crap I skip over every time. Basically it's cheaper cable still sadled with a bunch of poo poo that pisses me off about cable.

Sling's $20 a month.

And the Xbox One app is notoriously bad. Try to watch it on any other device.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TLG James posted:

Hulu "Plus" is going away or dropping the Plus part. No idea what that means for everything.

It looks like nothing.

Variety posted:

Hulu has about 9 million subscribers for the $7.99-per-month service. The company has been aggressively acquiring exclusive content, including all nine seasons of “Seinfeld,” and developing a bold slate of originals to lure in more subs. The company has marketed the subscription VOD service as Hulu Plus, but the company will be dropping the “Plus” from the name.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So I'm buying a Roku of some kind because one of my family members is in the hospital (and will be for a few months) and is bored out of her loving mind.

So should I just get a Roku1 and pray it doesnt suck or get a Roku2 and an HDMI to AV converter and hope it doesnt explode? Is there a third option I didn't even consider?

You may be better off just buying her a simple tablet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How would a tablet stream better than Roku? Also she is basically completely immoble, so we were gonna use the TV because it's already in a good position for her to watch. If a tablet is just better, than I can just get a stand.

Immobile like she can't get out of bed or immobile like she can't use her arms?

Because if it's the latter, she's going to have issues with both. Roku's extremely easy to use but it requires you to interact with it every once in awhile. Every service I can think of has a "are you still watching?" prompt.

I was suggesting a tablet because I figured it's around the same price as a Roku 3 but she could place it on the tray, use it for other things (internet/apps/games) and you wouldn't have to futz around trying to get it to work on an ancient TV.

If you go the Roku route, the Roku 1 or a used Roku LT would probably work for you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

The interface still isn't very good and the restrictions, which aren't all Sling TV/Dish's fault, are annoying - lack of PVR features for a service like this is just stupid and screams "we can't let you make this too compelling".

It's actually 'we can NOT do this. literally it's in the licensing contracts' - Dish went to the mat and leveraged their lawsuits with the hopper to get what they currently have. That's why Playstation Vue turned out the way it did. Sony was trying to do a la carte by channel service for a reasonable price but they had no leverage. Same with Intel's failed TV service. It was a 'do what the content providers want or gently caress off' situation. And I doubt Apple will be able to get by them. Maybe we'll get a Sling equivalent with OTA channels for slightly more money on more devices.

With a channel like El Rey - you can pause, rewind, fast forward and see nearly all of it's programming on VOD.

I didn't have any buffering issues but I couldn't justify paying $20 a month for it. Maybe if I had some more spare cash.

Ixian posted:

Most content actually streams at 720p/stereo, topping out somewhere between 3-4.5Mbps.

It all depends on what the networks give them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

I like it better than the Fire TV for a lot of reasons, not the least is the UI is actually easier for people like my parents to figure out - you pick the app you want (Netflix, Prime, etc.) and then you navigate those, which are pretty well laid out. FireTV's way of shoving everything Amazon wants to promote up front and pushing other apps off to the side hurts it, I think - poo poo, it's actually easier for me to find Amazon Prime content on the Roku than it is the FireTV.

Sideload Firestarter.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

You still have to use to the Amazon interface to access their stuff but for everything it's great (and you can set it to launch with a double tap of the home button)

And I'd highly suggest plugging in the Fire TV to Ethernet if you can. Its wifi is a little fincky. Sliding it from one side of my desk to the other is the difference between buffering and perfect playback.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

10bux posted:

I'll be honest, I know little to nothing about the new media streaming technologies. The extent of my experience goes as far as: Netflix Streaming, MLB.TV, and Twitch, Yup.

Anyway I just saw a posting on Craiglist about a local company modding one of these media players. They say it comes with over 100,000 movies and tv shows (I'm guessing it's like they combined netflix, amazon, etc into one database), and you can even watch live sports. I get the physical hardware aspect of it, I'm just wondering about the software. Anyway, if anyone has some more information on exactly what I would be buying that would be awesome!

Like others said, it's probably a $40-60 generic Chinese Android box that they downloaded Kodi onto along with every illicit add-on they could get their hands on. And I'd bet they're selling it at 2-3x markup despite it taking them 5-10 minutes to flash the image on it. Pretty good racket if you have zero morals and don't mind running the risk of getting arrested. (There's two arrests going on with piracy right now. The owner/staff of torrent sites and idiots selling preflashed piracy boxes on Craigslist/Ebay)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

10bux posted:

Hahaha okay, I probably should have been more clear that I wasn't seriously considering purchasing it. I'm a sports nut with lovely wifi, so I don't expect to drop cable anytime soon. I was extremely curious though! I did expect whatever they are doing to be illegal, but I thought they were at least doing some time consuming modding or something.

Here's the website: http://www.blvkbox.com

And if Call Me Charlie's numbers are correct, he predicted the markup accurately (asking price $200).

I know no one doubted it was legit, but after looking at their website, this is a pretty good guarantee they're shady as gently caress:

Haha. I'm having trouble finding the exact box they're selling but here's one with identical specs for $53 shipped direct from China http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...1861567274.html and you can get them even cheaper if you buy in bulk from Alibaba.

And I'm doubting these assholes did any time consuming modding but, even if they did, they'd only have to do it once. After that, it's just pushing the system image to new boxes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Hulu, on the other hand, only just credits as a month and never mentions the monetary value of my credits. I do not know what happens if you add services to your already paid for months (I am paid up for Hulu until June 2017).

Reddit to the rescue.

some human being posted:

DONT DO IT IF YOU ARE ON BING REWARDS!
Changing your plan to No Commercials ends your free trial. You will forfeit the remaining 443 days in your trial period, and you will be charged $11.99/month plus taxes, if any, immediately and on a recurring basis. You can change or cancel your plan anytime. By clicking "Change Plan," you agree to authorize this recurring charge.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The only time Hulu ads bother me is around election season. Every commercial break having some obnoxious attack ad is too much for me. That and having an ad spot right before the credits.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Roku isn't half bad if you need something that can play Vudu or Google Movies & Music. They also seem to be the first destination for weirder apps. The only way to watch Warner Archive in HD is through Roku.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bass Bottles posted:

TV isn't even at 1080p yet. I don't think the audience for OTA TV is the same as the audience for 4K, anyway. The format seems destined for Internet streaming and extremely niche physical media, if it ever takes off at all, which is still a big question mark.

It's not a question mark. Sony's going to push it. Netflix and Amazon are already pushing it. Prices are already bordering affordable. In five years, it's going to be another pointless bullet point on a $300 TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bass Bottles posted:

People were saying this about 3D at one point, too, though.

I want 4K to succeed but I don't have high hopes :(

3D's a whole separate thing. The content wasn't there. 3D conversion (rightfully) got panned. And the novelty of paying a few dollars extra to see 3D on a giant screen doesn't translate to wanting to wear glasses at home.

4K's a resolution bump. Even if people don't care about it, it's going to become the standard for TVs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've never seen a 3D movie at the theater, but I have a friend who got a 55" 3D TV. I wasn't really impressed. It was like watching a big rear end View Master.

I saw Coraline 3D in theaters and it was pretty amazing. The 3D effect was more like a shoebox diorama and it ramped up the special effects as the story went on. I can't imagine it being as good in 2D or on a screen that doesn't fill your line of sight.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rad Valtar posted:

I just got an email from Charter offering me Spectrum TV stream a standalone streaming service that is for their broadband only customers. If offers ABC, Fox, NBC and CBS for $13 and just about every channel Sling TV does for an additional $7. You also get a free Roku 3 when you subscribe. Since Sling is so hit and miss and with the 4 broadcast channels ill be switching over. It's also month to month so no contract.

Are you sure it's no contract? Because giving away a $99 device when person can cancel after a month makes no business sense.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thwomp posted:

Anyone try CBS All Access yet? They've been in the news recently due to the new Star Trek series announcement but I'm wondering if it's dogshit like Dish Anywhere or good like HBO Now.

I tried it back when it first launched and it was bleh. It had the same weird issue as Hulu of only having certain episodes of a show instead of the full backlog (mostly classic shows)

I need to give it enough try now that they added my local affiliate. I wouldn't pay $6 a month without live stream access.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kri kri posted:

The shield can't sideload amazon.

I think it can view Amazon Video stuff through a web browser (or at least I think that's what Shield owners have told me)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth noting that HDHomeRun has released an official Kodi add-on with EPG guide.

https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/kodi/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

Also has a better CPU and the USB ports are usable for storage.

The remote also supports headphones (like the premium Roku devices) which is a feature not to be overlooked if you watch TV in bed or a noisy environment.

Just want to point out that you can use USB hubs and bluetooth headphones with the Fire TV (although there an issue where you have to manually adjust the audio offset in Kodi since it's a sideloaded app)

And the game controller has support for headphones. The gaming edition for $140 isn't a bad deal as long as you don't mind using the controller as a remote. It also comes with Shovel Knight/Ducktales.

TheScott2K posted:

Does the NUC have a decent remote-driven lean back interface for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ESPN, etc or do you have to use a web browser like an idiot?

Back when I was experimenting with PC, I was triggering Windows 8 apps with shortcuts and custom remote macros.

But an Android box is so much simpler and living room friendly.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 21, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

blk96gt posted:

I'd like to pick up another streaming set-top box for our bedroom, but I'm unsure on which way to go. I already have an NVIDIA Shield TV for the living room, and it's working great. Currently using Hulu, Netflix, Emby for Kodi, and a few other apps without issue. Should I pick up another Shield, or would a ROKU 4 work just as well? While I've had no issues with the Shield, I'm having a hard time justifying the $70 price difference between the Shield and the Roku 4. The Roku 4 also has support for Amazon Prime streaming, while the Shield doesn't. At some point I will probably pick up a HDHomerun as well, so I don't know if that's a consideration in choosing between the two.

Fire TV is on sale for $84.99 today. And you can sideload Kodi on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

blk96gt posted:

So what does it mean to side load an app? Is it just a matter of installing it, then clicking on a Kodi icon on the home screen to launch?

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's dead simple to sideload apps to the Fire TV.

Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> enable ADB Debugging
Settings -> System -> About -> Network -> *write down your box's IP address*

There's two popular UI programs for pushing apks from your computer to your box. adbFire or Amazon Fire TV Utility App. Personally, I like Utility App better but either one of them work. Input your IP address in the settings and go to town.

And you can also sideload an alternative launcher like Firestarter and set it to open Kodi when you double tap the home button on the remote. http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Reading this thread it looks like The Shield is the way to go. However, I don't think I'd ever be able to convince my wife to use a videogame controller as a remote control and she is already on the fence about cutting cable as it is. That being said, if you lived in a world where The Shield didn't exist would you be buying a current gen. Apple TV or Amazon Fire? I don't really have any media bought on either ecosystem so that isn't a concern.

Thanks!

You can sideload Android apps to the Fire TV and there's a pretty good developer community for it. It's also $65 cheaper (and for $20 a year, you can put all your music into Amazon's cloud and it will work with voice search/Alexa. or you can load them on a usb stick and play them in kodi)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

Update for the new Fire TV (the only one they sell now) lets sideloaded apps appear in the apps menu, even (though you won't get it in "recent" apps or voice integration, etc.).

I like the Fire TV too, though I'd still pick a Shield over it and pay the difference.

The Shield's great hardware but you can get 2 Fire TVs for the price and it's plenty powerful enough for a streaming box (even powerful enough to emulate the Dreamcast and PSP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

With that close of a difference over two years (chosen for bundle contract), who gives a poo poo. Might as well get the cable package for the convenience of watching live/current shows.

At this point I'm back to undecided. It's antenna only or back on the juice.

If you have a spare phone or tablet, look into running Swagbucks' apps. You can get a month of Hulu in about nine days. And I'm pretty sure the codes stack.

Ask your family and friends if they can let you on their Netflix account or cable log in. gently caress Sling unless you absolutely can't live without live channels. Don't buy a preloaded box. Buy your own android box (Fire TV/Shield) and put Kodi on it. It's super simple to set up.

With a little research and hustling, you can save a ton of money (beyond using an OTA antenna)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 15, 2016