Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Why is the Kings of War starter set only $56 on Amazon but $75 on their website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Figures, but I was just making sure there wasn't like a new edition or something coming out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, that's the one on Amazon. I guess I'm not really sure I want undead and orcs though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah I had considered that. Amazon didn't have a lot of choices and I'm not sure where a good place to buy internationally is.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can't help but notice that there are only four lists available right now for Warpath. It's cool and all that they have squats and space skaven, but what's the future look like for the game at the moment?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Just googled the Asterians and they have the look I want. Guess I'll be waiting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Played a game of Dreadball finally at the FLGS. Rather enjoyed it. They're trying to put a league together and the Z'zor team looked fun to play. Any thoughts on them?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've been looking at this Kings of War thing and it looks pretty nifty. Did any of the model ranges get redone for the new edition?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Which unit(s) in the Elf list are the Elven Scouts supposed to represent? Also looking at the rules, I don't see any mention of skirmishers, so I'm assuming that showing them in a skirmish formation is actually just artistic license and in play they form a normal troop or regiment formation?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Size plus level plus terrain rules always made the most sense to me, like battletech.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I picked up an old elf army box and I think I have 10 too many spearmen in it. Please correct my math if I'm adding things up wrong, but there's supposed to be 2 sprues just for the block of 20 spearmen and a sprue for the 10 spear armed seaguard. That's 3 sprues of spears total. My box has 4 sprues of spears, 3 sprues of bows, the 10 scouts, the two bolt throwers, and the mage. Am I confused or did I just get lucky and score another troop of spears? Is Mantic known for these kinds of mistakes?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

My "local" still has the old box on sale, according to them the contents should be

This set contains 76 multi-part plastic Elf miniatures, including:

20 Spearmen
20 Bowmen
20 Palace Guard
10 Scouts
2 Bolt Throwers with Crew
Square Bases
Mantic Points

We must have different box sets in mind then, because the palace guard are restic I think, can't confuse them with sea guard

This is the old box with the mage and sea guard (which are really just more spear and bow sprues and you put them into the same unit). Sea Guard don't have free rules online anymore and the way my sprues are distributed, I have 2 bow command and 1 bow troop, so the Sea Guard will be 10 spears and 7 archers plus command. Are there any composition rules for how many of each weapon type there should be in the unit or for what weapon each rank is supposed to have or is it totally arbitrary and so long as there are spears and bows I can intermix them how I want?

I can probably raid the other sprues to come up with 10 archers, 7 spears, and 3 command if necessary, but I also don't think it really matters.

Daedleh posted:

IIRC that box had an extra sprue for free.

Lovely. That means it actually had 80+ figures in it. I am mildly annoyed that the bolt throwers don't come with bases though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also I'm looking at the Elf Bolt Thrower and there are a couple of random accessories on the sprue and I have no idea what they are. One is a box and the other is a cylinder. In pictures online, people are just gluing them to bases at random, sometimes on one of the crew and sometimes beneath the machine itself. But what are they?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

At a guess, the cylinder is full of bolts because it looks like an oversized quiver, and the box is meant to hold the rangefinder thing one of the crew is using.

That was my guess too except the quiver is closed so I wasn't sure. It'd be more interesting with some big bolts sticking out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Christ I think I got the last $115 pledge. It's going to be a long year, but that gives me time to flesh out my Kings of War army. Stupid Mantic and their affordable miniatures. I can't afford not to pledge!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm pretty torn on if I want to get the starter set or not. Either way I get all the rules and the battle forces look pretty complete as far as a core army go, but there's no one in my area who plays at the moment and having the starter set might be a good way to get some people interested.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

krushgroove posted:

I do wish Mantic did something like the Reaper Bones campaigns and let you add to funds with a pledge manager after the campaign was over - there are too many cool campaigns I want to back and after having to promise myself I'd stop for a while (with other new systems to try and models to get) along comes Warpath. It's a good problem, but still a problem for my bank account.

I think you can do this? Won't there be a two month or so window following the campaign where you can do just that?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess my biggest issue with the Kickstarter campaign is that outside of that initial rush to get in on the early bird special, the whole thing has felt rather underwhelming. Everything is very bare bones and adequate to a fault. When your goal is to sell a new game and universe to go with it, I kind of want something I can sink my teeth into. I suppose that information might be floating out there on the forums or Mantic blog, but it should be centralized on the Kickstarter page for people just following the campaign. I really have no idea how Warpath plays, what kind of mechanics I can expect, how things have evolved from previous editions, why a new edition is even necessary, and the setting has only been painted in broad and somewhat inconsistent notes.

I'm looking at the latest update about the Plague and how it destroys worlds and there are some cool ideas in there. But the writing leaves a lot to be desired. It both says that the Plague destroys identities and souls, a very grimdark approach to storytelling, but then closes with a comment about how being a corporate drone may not be that much better of an alternative. Well which is it? What am I supposed to feel for the average denizen of the corporate sphere? Are these brave men and women with personalities that matter or are they just flesh-sacks that are being used by one entity or another. There's actually good "Dawn of the Dead" era satire in there about drones being turned into zombies, but the language is both flat and trying really hard to be space opera when it shouldn't be.

Reading the longer blog about the setting of the starter box, everything just comes across so sterile. I know they can't crib directly from 40k's approach of battles against good and evil and serving the decayed corpse of the god emperor, but surely they can do better than, "Well there was like this story about a space dragon that is clearly just a metaphor and now some space dwarves are angry at us, but we signed a lease and bought the mining rights goddammit, to battle!" And if they are going to go that route, it needs to be a black comedy and not played completely straight the way it is here.

I guess what I really want to know is from whom's perspective is this story being told? Are we at the eye level of the average corporate citizen caught between a rock and a hard place? The not-so-subtle jabs at the corporations kind of put us above it all, as if we're getting narration from a bitter old insider who has a bone to pick. Are we supposed to see the world through the eyes of the generals leading the battles? I don't need a hero-faction or a dedicated protagonist, but having some grounding that the rest of the world is built around would go a long way to making it all more tangible. The whole thing could be from the perspective of corporate propaganda telling people how important their roles are and how great the enforcers are with a sprinkling in of just enough hints that things aren't as they seem to keep it interesting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

boom boom boom posted:

Without stuff like that it's just, here's some dudes. The Enforcers fight without fear, the Forge Fathers fight without remorse, and the Veer-Myn are gross. It's slightly more diffentiation that there is between Gork and Mork

I disagree. You see, Gork is brutal but cunning and Mork is cunning but brutal. Or maybe it's the other way around.

That right there tells you everything you need to know about Ork psychology and society and what interactions with them will be like. There's more characterization in it than in anything I've seen from Mantic on Warpath's world and factions. I know their emphasis is on getting the game and factions ready to play and it's the same problem I've heard Kings of War currently has. There's a reason why going back and reading Rogue Trader, dated though it is, is still fun. I don't know that in 25 years people will be nostalgic to look back at the old Warpath fluff.

Right now, Mantic is trusting that the players will fill in the gaps in their own heads and is hoping that the players trust that Mantic will fill in the official fluff down the road. But what I've seen hasn't been all that inspiring. This thread and the Death Thread have done a better job getting me excited about the Warpath fluff than the Kickstarter has. It's simple stuff like someone here posting the picture of the Enforcer flyer and a caption about dealing with peaceful protests and then stuff about the Marauders being just too drat good at their jobs leading to the creation of the Enforcers in the first place. Maybe all of that will be in the Sourcebook, but the style of writing in the fluff text on the Kickstarter doesn't give me much confidence that it will be gripping even if there is a good story there.

On the other hand, 10 jetbikes for $40. gently caress. Yeah.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is what I mean. There are some really cool ideas kicking about and there's room to grow and fill it in. But given its dystopian cyber-punk roots, it needs to be steeped in satire propaganda and it isn't.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spiderdrake posted:

Why does it "need" to?

Cyperpunk just lends itself really well to satire, same with the comparison between being an actual zombie versus being a corporate drone. But, no, it doesn't "need" to be satire, but it should have consistency of tone at the very least. As I said before, they're caught somewhere between high space opera (OH NO THE POOR CORPORATE DRONE'S SOUL!) and a sterile scifi setting (there are corporations, and uh, people live and die under them).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I agree with Drone, but I also agree with NTRabbit. The game and company are both young and I don't expect it to be a fully fleshed out world right this minute, but it should be a major priority for them long term. They aren't being handed a player base for their mass scifi battle game like they were with Kings of War. Besides, if 40k proves anything it's that the fans don't really care about the rules all that much and the setting is a significant motivator in continuing with the hobby. The scifi scene in general is way more competitive than fantasy what with X-Wing, Warmahordes, and Infinity all fighting for the same relative space as the alternative to 40k. (Yes, all these games are dramatically different with different appeals and multiple people have forces in all of them, but casual players are probably going to pick only a single scifi miniatures game to focus on.)

I'm still on board with Mantic and Warpath and am looking forward to seeing what all is in the Sourcebook when it drops next year. My major complaint is that the Kickstarter itself is underwhelming as far as getting me interested in the models, world, and game go and I also would like to see some kind of road map to the future to see how they plan on developing it. The "road map" doesn't even have to be a literal business plan, it would just need to be consistent tone and good copy-editing in what they've released so far and as mentioned a link to a large collection of the existing fluff. They could even just do a loving blog post in what we could expect to see in the Sourcebook itself since at this point I think the most they've said is that it's full of information that Warpath fans will really love. Of course this is all irrelevant anyway since I already pledged.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

krushgroove posted:

The GW Death Thread and this one are kind of merging at the moment

A lot of people are seeing this as the closest analog to 40k and as the most likely successful alternative. I think that's quite a tall order for a game that has a very limited model range, but Mantic is incredibly ambitious and is trying to fill as many roles in the community at once as they can. They might overstretch themselves if they're not careful and the pressure of being the next big thing might get to be too much. But we'll see what happens over the coming months and years I guess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Esser-Z posted:

Nice! Purple owns! Always be painting purple.

Hmm. I should totally do some Enforcers in a Third Street Saints colorscheme. It's even vaguely lore appropriate, considering the SR3 Saints!

Anyone know where I can get some fleur-de-lis decals?

http://www.littlebigmenstudios.co.uk/catalog/ This guy does good stuff and you will almost certainly find some on his site.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Tried dreadball again last night and I don't know what it is but it just doesn't click with me yet. 14 turns felt way too long, we had to check ability and rules interactions again and again and couldn't always find the answer. For example, if I fail an evade but the threat is from a player with Got You (or whatever it's called) and I don't fall because of that skill, do I retain the ball? If I'm evading someone does that person count as a threat? It just seems weird to say you start with a pool of three if the reality is you're always going to evade starting from two dice.

Maybe it plays faster when you have the rules down, but it just felt super rules heavy with a lot of adding and subtracting dice. It's nice that the target numbers never change, though sometimes I feel like they should.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
But they've been doing just that. They've been hinting or outright stating the next stretch goal before they finish the current one. Plus the veermin tank has been being teased since the first day and we're only on it now. I guess the only other thing I'd want them to do is to explicitly state the asterian vehicle is up after the battlegroup is unlocked.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm still hesitant to commit to Asterians before any mention of a vehicle. I'm thinking I might go for the starter set and a $75 add-on to give me three forces, but it makes more sense to me to pair the vehicle with the larger force than one of the starter forces. Hopefully it will get announced as the next stretch goal but I'm not going to up my pledge before then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They haven't even discussed a plague vehicle yet, I'm thinking they'll announce Corp and then a dual Corp/Plague vehicle kit. Then maybe Asterians.

Yeah, I'm hoping anything Plague will just be an accessory kit.

My FLGS has the giant special edition Deadzone box. I'm kind of tempted to grab it, but it's kind of pricey. Is it hard to find? Are there updated rules coming out soon (Redux or something)? Will those be freely available or will you have to buy the new rules to replace the old ones?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It just slipped over the $320,000 line. They're teasing the possibility of the Asterian flyer as the stretch goal after $330,000. That thing looks cool as heck.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

So the Asterian tank APC is now an Asterian flyer? Makes sense I guess, as long as they're still getting an actual hover tank

Oh I have no idea what its actual combat role or accurate description is. It just looked like something that would be a flyer/hover vehicle and I called it as such.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just realized you could do the new 3 battlegroup tier and end up with four armies of comparable sizes, with the free vehicle boosting either the Enforcers or the FF, and maybe an extra box of infantry for the other. This might be the best option for an area without anyone else who plays the game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess these posts have made me a little weary of Mantic restic. Though honestly I'm still not sure what the major differences are between the casting materials. I guess hard plastic is good and restic is bad and resin has its place?

I wonder if I haven't worked with restic before. As I mentioned before, I got one of the old elf army boxes from before the Kings of War 2 kickstarter. Everything has mold lines all the way around, which is annoying, but overall the models are alright and easy to chop up as necessary. Is this restic?

For reference, here are the mostly completed Seaguard.

If these are restic I'm not super worried then.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 6, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not even sure if battlegroup is an in game term for unit organization or strictly a marketing term for bulk troop purchases.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Non-canon armies are the coolest idea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I also like the $235 level being limited because then I feel less burned moving from early bird to $235.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

parabolic posted:

So I'm a Tyrant now, but reading the rules I'm a little concerned about the mass battles ruleset. I just don't think unit stands fit the sci-fi aesthetic, though I respect some folks feel differently. Fracturing further from there to allow both stands and individual bases, even though it's cool and flexible, just seems like it might cause headaches finding opponents and growing the game.

Given the rulebook for Firefight isn't out, how can I ballpark if a single battlegroup would be a force of sufficient variety to use in Firefight? How prevalent can we anticipate vehicles to be in Firefight, as in, should I even bother getting a vehicle battlegroup? Just trying to get thoughts, maybe I've missed some comments from the Mantic team.

The way I'm looking at it is this. If you scaled down from 30mm to 10mm or 6mm, stands would be a given. No one would bat an idea. It's only because the miniatures are larger and we think we should be able to move more flexibly in and around terrain that we get turned off by the idea of stands. We're also used to removing individuals, which we won't be doing anymore. But you're going to be spending a lot of time moving your troops down roads and alleys or across fields, through passages, etc, and that means it's just going to be two ranks of troopers moving shoulder to shoulder. There's not a good excuse not to use stands in those conditions. I also think Warpath uses smaller unit sizes than a mass battle fantasy game, so you should be able to have your unit hug a wall or whatever even with stands. As far as fracturing the player base, I don't see it as an issue. Hubs are included in the core rules so all players should have access to them. The only issue will be if people have glued their minis to the stands, which I don't see happening too often. If you're playing with the same group of people regularly, just agree to alternate.

As far as Firefight goes, it's supposed to be somewhere between Warpath and Deadzone with as few as 30 minis. It's been compared to 3E 40K, which would mean lots of infantry, maybe a strider, a couple of bikes, and maybe one tank per side. This is all hearsay though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So did we ever find out if the Martians can be a lone pick or must be an add-on?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

Operation: Heracles + Enforcer + FF battlegroups, or 1 each of Enforcer + FF + Asterians, I can't decide.

First option I feel like is a pretty sizeable force on each side, whereas the second is more of a taste of multiple factions. I really like the Asterians though, but I've heard stuff about Mantic's restic, and they have the least hard-plastic of the three armies.

This is exactly where I'm at. I'm not super fond of the Forge Fathers or Enforcers (though they're growing on me), but there's going to be no one else around with a force (some dudes have some Martians, but that hardly counts). So I'm trying to decide if I want to get just one large army for myself to own, two sizable armies to get a friend to play against me with, three battlegroups for a bit of variety, or four forces of varying size with a couple of add-ons to try and round them out. I'm not really sure which will be the best value for the money.

I was originally thinking Heracles, Asterians, Plague, but those Vermeen wheels are making me rethink that. I'm not super keen on the tunneler though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it's the paint schemes as opposed to the models. Well, at least as far as the rank and file go. I'm also not super into their vehicles. Their artillery is weird looking, their tank looks like it has weird bug carapace armor, and none of the mechs in any faction have looked right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think I've settled on Enforcer, Forge Father, and Asterian battlegroups with the Asterian flyer, probably kitted out to be a tank. I might add the Enforcer flyer as well.