Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Daedleh posted:

Ogres - ridiculously good large infantry. Second only to Heavy Cavalry for toughest/thumpiest/best core unit in the game. With the changes affecting Heavy Cav in the next edition they'll be even better. They will be outnumbered but a couple of Ogre Regiments will muller just about anything they touch. They also have very good light cavalry with the Red Goblin Scouts, but have very little ranged support or heavy cavalry. Very much a straightforward smash the poo poo out of your opponent in melee army.

Abyssal Dwarfs - stand back and shoot. They are nearly as tough as Ogres, but do not have the same melee damage output. They definitely rely on whittling the enemy down with ranged firepower so that their average-at-best melee stats can land the finishing blow. Their artillery (particularly the Angkor Heavy Mortar) is the best in the game. They have a couple of faster units with the Gargoyles and Half-Breeds but neither are particularly outstanding on their own, and are definitely there to support your main force and take out targets of opportunity. The Obsidian Golems are a literal stone wall. Extremely tough to break, and are a bit broken in that regard in V1. Definitely a ranged army designed to delay and whittle the enemy down at range before finally breaking them with a counter-charge.

Abyssals themselves are up in the air at the moment. The current army list is complete shite (a prime example of Alessio never listening to others and screwing it up) so it's getting redone from scratch in the new edition. The average Abyssal will be somewhat equal to humans and they'll have a lot of magic being thrown about. They'll definitely be more of a horde army than either of the other two. Beyond that I don't have any specifics.

Thanks for this. Can you describe some of the other factions? Undead would be lovely to learn more about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Jesus Christ, this pledge manager is terrible. I have no confirmation that I've selected the starter army I pledged for (the account page is a 404), no emails of any kind after the initial one. I'll give it a week and then try again, but I'm confused as to how pledge managers are a problem for a company that runs so many kick starters.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh, I was mainly joking. I do agree that there doesn't seem to be the same amount of "portability" between 40k and WP that there is between WHFB and KoW, though I think that's more of a matter of people not necessarily liking WP's fluff and general look/aesthetics (40k's intolerant religious xenophobes covered in skulls vs. "ruthless evil megacorporations", for example) than anything else.

I'd totally play a better large model count game with my 40k models if one existed and I could convince other people to play it. I'm not really a fan of what I've seen of warpath from either fluff or models, but if the rules are good and the game hits the same targets 40k aims for, I'd gladly use them.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I want a game that lets me use my obscenely large collection of 40k minis to play medium-large scale combat (3-5 tanks, 30-60 infantry, a couple of planes and maybe a giant walker or two) in less than 3 hours including setup, and without having to house rule or roll dice to determine the correct interpretation of rules.

Is this warpath alpha the thing I'm looking for?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
According to a recent KoW 2 kickstarter update, we'll be getting PDF rules sometime next week! I couldn't wait for that, so I read the rules as linked from the OP of the thread. Is the "Piercing Arrow" artifact really supposed to let you roll one attack as piercing(4)? That seems absurdly good compared to the melee option, which is one dice at CR(1). The arrow costs 10 points to the mace's 5, but I'm still a bit surprised by it being 4.

I really hope I can find some people to play with once the kickstarter stuff comes in; these rules look sane and straightforward, but I'm used to 40k so most things probably look sane and straightforward.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Slimnoid posted:

Edit: also if you want to try out the rules online, I think there's some regulars in the thread who hop on Universal Battle to get their game on.

I would love to give the game a try online. I haven't used Universal Battle before, is it easy to use, or complicated like some of those older online tabletop programs from before good webapps were a thing?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
That's okay, thanks for pointing it out. As it happens, I had stumbled on this video of a KoW 1 "how to play"/batrep using Universal Battle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbxk8-cm43Q). It looks pretty easy to use, and also the undead army looks like it plays (or played?) like I'd want a necromancer lead zombie horde to play so now I'm even more excited about this thing.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I believe it is that the PDF version of the rules should be this month, and the physical books in August.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I went to my local gaming store to try to pick up the two vampire counts models I really wanted to paint (and use with my undead army whenever that stuff comes in), but it turns out my game store has had a 40% off WHFB sale since June 5th, and there was almost nothing left. They did have the $125 vampire starter box, but I looked at what came with it and decided the mantic models look better and I probably won't ever need more skeletons or zombies again.

Thanks for the suggestions above, I really want to find some good hero units (mounted on dragons preferably).

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Here's another good video explaining how to play (although I'm 99% sure this is the first edition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbxk8-cm43Q There's even a bad 9/11 joke in there, but it's played with one of those virtual tabletop things so you don't get to see well painted minis being pushed around a cool gaming board.

Daedlah, are you the "Daedle" in the above video?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Universal Battle. Someone earlier in the thread pointed it out to me. There's an active thread on the mantic forums for it: https://manticforum.com/forum/kings-of-war/general-discussion-aa/230468-any-interest-in-a-kow-online-community-on-universal-battle/page2, but it's not all that active. I'll probably play around with the program a bit this week and try to find someone to play with.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Is there an easy way to find Kings of War armies on the UB site? They have 71 pages of them with no indexing or anything.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Elfface posted:

What it is easier to do is use a zippy hero to prevent the opponent from shooting with something - charge them and they can't shoot next turn. If you can get em in the flank, they can't even charge you back to retaliate the next turn.

Can you explain why that is? Wouldn't the unit be able to charge and pivot as part of the charge? Maybe I need to re-read the movement rules.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

spectralent posted:

Am I being dumb or are there no lists... well, listed, on the mantic site for KoW? Are they just not finished yet?

I don't know where they are listed on the site, but the OP of this very thread links to the beta versions of the 2nd edition rules and lists. Or yeah, just wait til the end of the week for the (hopefully) better formatted PDFs.

I hope next week sees a few youtube battle reports of 2nd edition; maybe a really popular group like miniwargaming will do a demo game or two. God knows they have enough models to run proxy any list imaginable.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

fnordcircle posted:

Ok so wait - I know nothing about KoW rules but does this basically mean that you can create dioramas on a certain-size unit base in lieu of your typical dude spam?

Two of my better friends are massively into modeling so if they could do something like the above but use it in a game they'd flip their poo poo with excitement.

Yup! I tentatively plan to do all of my undead army on swamp dioramas, but I also want to make them flexible enough to do different unit sizes (since I've never actually played a game, and I have no idea which sizes I'll like more), so I'm still trying to come up with swampy multibasing that composes well. I think it'll be a really fun winter project to get the whole army done.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
For really big hero/monster units (like say a vampire on a dragon), the book says to use the smallest base that would work if it's too big to fit on the standard monster base. The model I want to use is the GW vampire on giant undead dragon, which came with a pretty huge base (100mm x 150mm, roughly). If I use this base, would I be putting my opponent at a disadvantage? I'm okay if it makes things worse for me (bigger base = easier to be in front arc so easier to charge), but I imagine it would also give me some advantages in blocking LoS and would also of course give me a F'ing huge front arc. Should I see about finding a smaller base and trying to make it fit, or is the base size difference less of an issue than it seems?

Edit: Actually, looking at the sprue and instructions I think I can make it fit on a significantly smaller base. Nowhere near 50x50, but maybe the 50x100 one. It'll come down to the wingspan I think.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 9, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

moths posted:

Is it worth staying up until midnight in the US or is it going to be on England time? I got a thing this afternoon saying "ONE MORE DAY!" and was like... uh-oh.

Huh. I subscribed to the newsletter earlier in the week and I never got so much as a confirmation. I hope I don't miss out on latest Mantic news :(

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Are the beta army lists still up? Might as well just keep using that plus the artifacts from the beta. What the hell mantic.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Esser-Z posted:

I do still rather want to play KoW. Anyone up for some Universal Battle or something sometime this weekend?

Yes please. I'm still disappointed by the messaging and mantic not living up to the expectations they set themselves up for, but I still want a fantasy battle game with good rules.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

thegodofchuck posted:

This is so ridiculous. As a backer, I would be happy (in fact, prefer) to have the full .pdf available to everyone, yet over in Dungeon Saga they screw us over with a non-KS promo fig (and potentially a second book box we won't get).

As a backer, the only thing I want is a huge player base so I can find people to play. Anything that turns potential players away displeases me.

Hey Esser-Z, did you want to universal battle today? You don't have PMs so we have to coordinate in thread or email.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Esser-Z posted:

I need to get PMs someday, heh. Today's not going to work after all--had stuff come up--but toss me a line at esser.zed at gmail (this goes to anyone interested!) and we'll figure out a time.

Sounds good, I'll send you a message when I figure out what time I get off of work this week.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Viscardus posted:

Man, that's hilarious. Yeah, Mantic, never mind that people are willing to give you money for a product that costs you nothing, I'm sure maintaining Kickstarter exclusivity (for something I doubt most backers care about) is more important. Is this another example of Kickstarter warping companies' priorities, or is there just a lot of lead in Nottingham's water supply?

I dunno, but as a backer really the only thing I care about is getting as many other people to play this game as possible. To that end, I want the rules out to as many people as possible, I want mantic to advertise and market the game as heavily as possible, and I don't particularly care if they make money on the rules or not.

I'd also like mantic's model lines to be successful, but based on how many people seem to think they don't look good, I don't know if that will happen. So if they need to sell the full rules to continue to exist, so be it.

Edit: Wait, the backer rules that came out today are still missing sections? I hope there's still time to correct the print documents before they start putting ink down.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Tonight I finished up a prototype infantry base for my undead dudes, painted up a quick little cultist necromancer bones guy and was all excited. Then I realized I had picked up a 25mm base. Whoops. :(

He looks a lot better without the flash, but I'm too lazy to get proper lighting for a test model. As a bonus, you can see where I screwed up the front of the base when removing the barrier I was using to keep the water effects from draining out of the little pool.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 16, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I know we love to make fun of GW for their 4m website, but I think Mantic needs to run a kickstarter to redo theirs. After today's kickstarter update I wanted to go see if they had a new undead unit on the store, and the website just errors out now. Even when it does work, it tends to be really slow.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I wonder if we will see a market for scenic movement trays. Just thinking about all of the troop dioramas/multi bases I have coming up is daunting.

Maybe I should get one of the swampy basius pads.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Slimnoid posted:

Well, casting is surprisingly easy, so why not start your own?

The thought had crossed my mind, so I might go try to go through the terrain thread. I know casting chat came up quite a bit over there for a while.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Man, it really sucks that a hero/mon is considered as a hero and not a monster. The undead have no monsters, so I lose out on an extra slot for my zombie horde(s). In fact, I think Undead are the only race not to have any monsters at all (edit: Nope, twilight kin are missing monsters too).

What the hell Daedleh?

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 21, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Hordes and legions get one of each, regiments get one chosen from the three options.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I think serious gaylord said it best, "You can take the employee out of GW, but you can't take GW out of the employee"

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Phoon posted:

Yeah. Ranged stuff can afford to be more fragile. Imo you should base things in tens anyway and just stack them up into twenties/forties when you want em. Eg I just finished a forty skeleton unit that's made up of two mostly spears bases and two mostly hand weapon bases so it can be four troops, two regiments (one spears, one hand weapons) or one horde of either spears or hand weapons depending on which are at the front.

That's been my plan, to multibase everything into troop sizes and then have some regiment/horde/etc cardstock they can just sit on top of with some blue tac or something.

I'm stealing the idea of organizing weapons for my skeletons though, it's a good idea.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Evilmonstar posted:

I've pretty much gone headfirst into this game since my first game last week, so naturally I decided to spend hours and hours on this thing:

I feel pretty good about my life choices.

Fantastic! What did you do for the zombie base? I like the way the rounded corners look.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
At the very least, you could include skirmisher units in some type of expansion game in a few years if mantic wanted to do something new without making KoW 3.

I'm curious as to what mantic's business strategy for these games are. Is it a new edition every few years to refine the rules? Is it new armies or just newer and newer sculpts for existing units in existing armies, or something else? Maybe they are counting on the game being so good and fun that they have a steady stream of new players coming in (this would be the best for me as a player in search of people to play with).

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

spectralent posted:

Any weird fluffy-rules stuff where it's really obvious they're talking about one dude taking literal wounds, or is it abstract enough to see me through if I have a monster base that's actually three, smaller dragons or whatever?

Nope. The game properly abstracts just about everything. I'm really impressed with how good the rule set is after coming from 40k where it's just a mess.

On a personal level I probably wouldn't enjoy the aesthetics of a 6mm army on 28mm scale bases vs a 28mm army, but there's nothing in the game rules that would make it problematic; I just think it would look a bit silly on the table. The same would apply to a lot of the proxies people on these forums have suggested. Anyway, that's just my own personal tastes, and I'd still happily play against such armies because the game itself seems fun even if you were playing with cardboard rectangles cut to base size.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I really like the idea of 6mm dudes on the normal bases because you could pack a lot of them in there and make it look like a real drat massive army.

Something like this, but even better.

Yup, I think 6mm minis on full size KoW bases would look pretty fantastic in terms of looking like a big army. It's only when you mix mini sizes that it looks silly.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

The Dark Project posted:

Back2base-ix also makes just regular base sizes up to 100mm, and should be also able to cut to measure. I am stuck deciding what I want to do. Do I go with just MDF bases, or do I try to make my own that I can fill if I want. Probably for my regular force I'll go MDF because they'll be on regular grass style terrain. But for my undead, I am leaning towards either ice or swamp, so I am going to need something I can possibly fill with water effects or the like.

I've only been doing hero units so far, but I'd have decent results using normal bases and sculpting a bit with textured gel to make pools to fill with water effects. I'll be doing something similar with my full sized units, probably on top of plain flat MDF or plasticard.

Here's an example of an unfinished monster base I'm working on for next month's oath:

And here's a larger hero sized base I used as a test:

If you have even a little knowledge of what ground looks like, I'm pretty sure you could build something even better than the above.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I shouldn't be expecting any kind of shipment notification for the KoW kickstarter should I? I've had issues with packages being stolen from my house recently if I'm not home when the delivery folks show up, so I'd like to plan for when it's supposed to come in, but if there's no notification I'll just have to take my chances.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

muskets posted:

They don't usually send out shipment notifications in my experience. I'm watching the door every day for my DBX/KoW2 combo shipment...

Nuts. From today's KS post, it looks like I'll be in the last group (living legend + addons), so maybe there's still time to adjust my shipping address to work or something. Any idea who I should contact to get that done?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

This was neat to watch (so far, not finished yet).

By the way, is it easier to use universal battle yet?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Isn't there a two player box set coming out soon? I don't need yet another army for a game I haven't played, but aside from the neatly trimmed beards I like the way the mantic dwarves look and wouldn't mind having a third, small army that I could use for quick games to get other people I hang out with interested. I also understand there's a way to get a neat little metal necromancer with it, but I couldn't find it on the mantic website. Is this retail only, and if so, are there any online retailers who carry it in the US (or cheap shipping from overseas)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

NTRabbit posted:

It's Dwarves vs Undead, called Fall of Ironhold, and I'm assuming they'll stick it into the hands of as many retailers as possible. The necromancer is a retail only exclusive, comes in the box by default I believe, no matter where you buy it from. It's to distinguish it from kickstarter exclusives, and make retailers feel more loved.

Thanks! Do you know when it should be available? I'll happily buy it from a retailer if I can find one locally or online.