Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Why get something like a Yongnuo instead of a Nikon or Canon flash? I see the word "manual", but how does that translate in real world situations? I don't know anything about the world of lighting, but I've been considering getting one of the Canon Speedlites.

Edit: sorry. I'll be reading the lighting thread as well

It's largely cost reasons. If you're only shooting M then there's no need for some of the advanced features of name brand speedlites. I however use ettl quite a bit so for me I prefer having a flash that talks nicely to my camera!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Well, I'm almost always using my camera in manual. I would only switch to auto if a time sensitive situation arises.

So the advantages of a first party flash only really come out if you use usually your camera in auto mode?

Not really. When I use ETTL my camera is manual but my flash is auto so it gives me freedom to move around easier as I don't have to readjust my camera settings according to the distance from the subject if I move.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thevoiceofdog posted:

I've remained mostly uninformed about Leica for the last decade since I started studying photography. Anyone want to summarize what makes them worth their ridiculous prices? I'm assuming the glass must be really high quality and the focus extremely sharp, but that alone can't be worth several thousand dollars, can it?

Leica has very good branding and marketing. While they do make awesome cameras, their market is predominately wealthy hobbyists. There's a reason why they have limited edition neiman marcus cameras or put together a run of gold plated leica's for the communist party in China to celebrate their 60th anniversary.

I also sort of resent them for doing bullshit like selling rebranded panasonics and such

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

CHDK is available in beta for the S90, that'll get you RAW which will open up some noise reduction in Lightroom/Aperture. Otherwise, Fuji X10/X100.

I believe the s90 can shoot in raw.

But yeah, the x100 is one of the sexiest cameras out there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

I looked around for the newbie thread mentioned in the OP but came up short.

I'm starting with a private investigations firm this coming week. The bulk of my work will be surveillance. It will be in a wide range of lighting and distance, leaning slightly towards distant low-light shots. I'm guessing around 150 yards or so, likely further at times. Time-stamp and video functionality is a must, but I'm assuming that's pretty standard.

After a cursory search, a Nikon D3100 seems to fit the bill fairly well for the camera side of things. However, various websites are telling me I need at least a 2000 mm focal length lens for shots up to 200 yards. That seems extreme, as my crappy Kodak p&s seems as if it is really close to hitting the clarity I need at around 200 yards in low light. I'm also going to need to steady this thing from the driver's seat of a car. Realistically, what can I get that would meet my needs? The budget is fairly limited right now, but I would be comfortable with around $400-$500. The cheaper the better. If there is a p&s that can do it, I would be more than happy to get that.

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/50-500mm.htm something like that with a body with good ISO performance should be good for PI work.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think the Dixons might be in the departures part of the airport rather than the arrivals. I believe that's where it is in Heathrow.

I have no idea about good camera stores up north. Jessops might be able to carry something.

Worse comes to worse treat it as an exercise in limiting your shots! make a mistake into a learning experience!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yeah, especially for scotland

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

They might be tipping to American standards which would be extremely generous in Scotland.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

That's just a Scottish starbucks, wait until he starts posting some pictures of the castles.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For a novice photographer who isn't wanting to get into photography so much as use it to enable studying wildlife would you guys suggest just a P&S or some sort of SLR? Keep in mind in this case durability/ruggedness/water resistance is a huge plus because the stuff that's going to be studied will frequently be found in the middle of swamps and bogs. Also the budget is extremely limited of course. So it'd be cool to have suggestions of what to save up towards as well as an entry-level that I might be able to get quickly.

there's quite a few rugged point and shoot cameras out there that have water resistance and proofing. It's very hard to buy a "bad" camera nowadays. Google the features you want and check amazon reviews.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

somnambulist posted:

I wasnt sure where to ask this, so I'll put it here-

I'm looking around for a fan ( "wind machine" ) and I'm having a lot of trouble picking something. The only one that pops up on photo sites is the Bowens Wind Machine that is 1000 dollars (wtf? am I missing something here? )

I was thinking of buying something at home depot, but I'm having trouble finding something. Any recommendations? Suggestions?

The Bowens wind machine is garbage, I would suggest going straight to the Profoto Airmax it's about 3,000 but it's worth it. A wind machine is like a good tripod, buy the best one at the start and you won't have to replace it.

any regular fan will do fine

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

what are you blowing?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Private Label posted:

I'm finishing up my peace corps service next year, and I'm getting the travel bug again. I'm thinking of going on a month or two long backpacking tour through asia/europe/maybe africa after I finish next year. I brought over all my equipment, but while I'm in the US on home leave, I'm planning on bring back all of it, save a few lenses for travel (I'm thinking my 50mm and 35-105mm).

So my dilemma: I won't really need to edit during the trip so I feel there's no need to have my computer, but I only have a limited amount of memory cards. All I really want to bring is my camping backpack and a day bag, so I'm not sure I want my 15' macbook taking up space up in there just for file transfer. I could bring my photography harddrives to transfer the RAW files, but I'd be weary about transferring them on computers that could have viruses on them (like most hostel computers do). Or I possibly could stock up on a load of memory cards while I'm at home (or buy a small, cheap computer?), and hope for the best. What do you guys recommend?

Also, any recommendations on good travel bags? I was looking at possibly this one: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/photography/photography-gear-and-bags/national-geographic-walkabout-tote-bag

if your camera can use SD cards just get a bunch of those. Even the 32 gig cards are super affordable

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

Seriously. I found a 64GB Sandisk class 10 in Best Buy of all places for like $45.

it is actually ridiculous when you think about how much CF cards are. I could double my current capacity now with SD cards for the price of one 16GB CF card.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

hah, glad I didn't go for the sandisk extreme pro cards then.

damnit canon.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

if you want to dramatically shake poo poo up why not try that fuji x-pro 1 thing

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have no idea, I'm surprised I was able to name it correctly. I think it does have some sick primes available.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

reliability.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I doubt it has nearly the poke of a proper 'real' ringflash like the AlienBee ABR800, but it seems to put out enough light for head & shoulders shots at 2.8|iso100|1/250th... I really bought it just to try it as some softer on-axis fill flash.

Tell you what, it's awkward as hell and heavier than I thought :o:

honestly you'd probably just be better with a speedlite and a bracket. I've shot great portraits with that set up.

Ringflashes just have a huge gap between the dabbling and the serious business stuff. :(

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

prob the best way is a elinchrom ringflash eco and a quadra pack. but that's a grand

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nielsm posted:

Is there such a thing as a contrast-reducing filter, for capturing high-contrast scenes? If not, would it be possible to make?

It's not a straight "reduce contrast" filter but Fog Filters produce an effect that reduces contrast a lot. Vincent Peters uses them a lot in his work.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the official canon grips are magnesium alloy coated with plastic like the cameras themselves. The third party grips are basically plastic with some metal furniture.

I'm sort of considering a 3rd party grip for my 5d3 as I'm not sure if I'll be using it enough to justify spending the extra moonbux on the first party

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 2, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Noia posted:

I'm looking to get a macro lens for my 450D so I'll be able to take detailed closeups of purty flowers, human eyes, insects, etc.
Got the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 8-16, Canon 55-200 and Canon 50mm 1.8 from before.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to spend around 800 to 1000$. Preferably closer to the former, unless there is a huge gap in quality.

The non L Canon 100mm f2.8.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

How is it different from the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? Better optics?

and full frame compatibility.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

those look pretty sick, officially interested in that lens now

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Haggins posted:

A few years back I spent $60 on a Lexar Firewire 800 CF card reader thinking I could rip my cards super fast. Unfortunately I couldn't tell the difference between it and the el cheapo USB 2 reader. It works fine as a reader and I've been using it since, however it's one of the only purchases I regret I made.

Anyway, I just ordered a new 27' iMac to replace my 2008 MBP and the new iMac no longer has firewire ports. I have the option of buying a thunderbolt to firewire adapter or just getting a cheap USB 3.0 thing. The adapter is $30 and I'm not sure if it's worth spending that for a whats now a dead technology.

I am very jealous of you because my iMac is the generation before USB 3.0 and I wish I didn't have to pay Firewire or Thunderbolt premiums for external storage :(

Just get a USB 3.0 reader. I'm sure they must exist and probably for cheaper than 30 bucks too.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I use bunches of helium balloons to offset the weight of larger lenses. Reduces camera shake too.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Also the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35mm f2.

I'd strongly consider it but I tend to shoot between 50mm and 70mm.

A new 50mm f1.4 from any brand would get my interest going though

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Sigma 30/1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35/2, the Sigma 35/1.4 is like three times the cost.

I didn't realize Canon had put out a 35/2 IS. $850 is way too much for that, Sony's got a 35/1.8 OSS (IS) for the NEX system for $350 and people are still bitching that it costs more than the Sigma 30/2.8 (which ran a cool $100 for a while there). You could get a Sigma 35/1.4 for that.

Yup. Canon is being pretty weird with its recent lens offerings.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Should I be worried about where I buy Eneloops from? I know there's always concern for counterfeit memory cards, so I assume other camera accessories can be suspect as well.

I wasn't but I am slightly now.

I've had no problems just getting 20 packs on amazon, always holds charge way longer than I expect.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I also disagree. This is SomethingAwful, sarcasm, irony, deliberate stupidity, bad jokes, mockery, and general internet-people type behaviour is central.

Take nothing so seriously you cannot point-and-laugh at it.

+1

Virtually every other photography internet place is so serious business we almost need the dorkroom to be the opposite

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No one cares what you think, idiot.

:smith:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xcore posted:

In the process of buying a Canon 7D. Looking for an all purpose zoom lense to go with it.

Tossing up between the Canon and Sigma 18-200mm lenses. I basically want to know how they compare to each other and whether the extra cost for the Canon lense is worth it. Also open to any other recommendations if there is another lense in that category from another manufacturer.

The more range a lens covers the more mediocre they tend to be. Ultra-zooms are pretty much targeted at entry level consumers and do an okay job but nothing spectacularly. one of the major benefits of a DSLR system is the interchangeable lenses. You can get probably two lenses for the price of the 18-200 which will give you much better quality and flexibility

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

whatever IPS panel is in your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bobfather posted:

In fact, I have never seen an aftermarket grip that was a "third-shift" debranded original grip, and I've owned grips for an XSi, 50D and 7D.

With that said, aftermarket grips are a fine way to save some money. Canon charges ridiculous sums for its grip.

I think the "third shift" ones are probably made with the same mould but different materials.