Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

MrEnigma posted:

The only other thing I feel bad about, is having an L lens on a 60D body...although I had a Digital Rebel with a 17-40L on it (although not white just the red ring so harder to tell).

You're joking, right? (serious answer- get a battery grip, because the balance is likely to be a little funny with a big L telephoto. I have a 60D and 70-300L, and it's much easier to hold with the grip).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As far as I know, it will cost you a lot ($400-800) to get an af lens that's much wider than 18mm, so the kit 18-55 definitely what to get if you are just starting out and on a really tight budget.

but yeah, most entry cameras will come with something like this.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the non-L 100mm /2.8 is great. You'll be able to get a nice flash and bracket with that too, some extension tubes for super-close-ups, and maybe even a worthwile tripod.

For your price range you could afford a 100/2.8 L, or maybe even the fancy bellows lens (MPE-65), but those probably aren't worth getting unless you also plan to use your lens for long portraits (for the former) or are really getting into super close up studio macro work (the latter).

Are 100/2.8 non-L's really going for only $250? I might be selling mine soon, and I thought they'd go for at least $300.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone looking for an upgrade to the Canon kit zoom, I've got a Canon mount Tamron 17-50 (non-VC) for sale in the buy/sell thread. Ya know, like the one in the thread title.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can't speak to all of those, but some of it has to do with different versions for crop-only vs. ff cameras. That and the 8-16 is a pretty different beast than the other UWAs.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my first L was the 70-300.

I started in 2010 with a T2i, 70-300 IS USM, Tammy 17-50 nonVC, and 100mm USM macro

2011: sold the T2i and 70-300 -> 60D + 70-300L, later + 50/1.8

2012: sold the Tamron 17-50, 100mm USM Macro,
bought Sigma 8-16, + Sigma 30 1.4, + 40mm 2.8, + 17-40L, + 100L macro

so far nothing this year... so far.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The current M is pretty darn cheap right now- maybe you can go to a store and try one out. I think CanonRumors has suggested two new M models- one a marginal upgrade and one with the live view AF hotness from the 70D. Either one is likely to be at least twice what the M goes for now. The 22/2 M lens will give you plenty bokehs.

I got my ef/ef-s -> M adapter from e-bay. I had bad luck with one of the cheap-o ones, but I returned it and got the official one and it was I think $80 or $100 from an ebay store.

I don't really have a sense of how slow the 400D, but I'd guess the M is a little slower than the 400D when you use the viewfinder on the 400D. I don't know if the 400D even has live view AF, but if it does, the M might have the advantage there.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how true or important this is, but my guess is that the 70-200L might deal better with dust than the Tamron?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I ordered mine from B&H in June and I'm still waiting.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Interesting article on the new Samsung NX-1: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/27/photokina-interview-samsung-nx1-redefine-pro-performance-quantum-leap-tech

Capable of reading out a full 28mp image 240 times per second, or encoding video into H265, gen-locked EVF with 5ms of lag, and some other fun stuff

Oh man, our lab is still using a janky crash test camera from the 90's (it can go up to 1000fps I think, but a lot of our stuff is 240 or 250). I might need to look at this.

\/\/ Not impossible they would change this in a firmware update

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 3, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If he's really computer phobic but ok with a smart phone, maybe get him a cheap ipad or some other tablet that has more storage than his phone and much bigger screen. He can still do the Wifi but will have something much nicer to view and edit on. Bonus if you get one that can take a card directly or get an adapter that lets you do that so he doesn't have to deal with setting up the wifi connection.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
D7000 is a great camera. This might be a shade more but the Canon 7D is probably more the equivalent model on the Canon side, so might be worth a look. The 60D is good, much better ergonomically than the Rebels, but I don't know that I'd recommend it over the D7000. The 70D has the sweet dual-pixel AF for video but would be a little more than the price range you were looking at.

Yeah, the D7000 seems like a nice value right now.

Regarding lenses, these days the 3rd party (Tamron, Sigma, Rokinon) are worth a look if you are on a tight budget, so even less reason to care about the stable of lenses.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thevoiceofdog posted:

No one here has used that lens, so I can't really consider it a recommendation and I don't feel like taking a chance to the tune of $500. I'm more interested in what people here are using for wide zooms and what they prefer for 3rd party manufacturers.

I have the Sigma 8-16 on a Canon. It is super fun, but if 8 is too wide for interior work, probably go for the 10-20, or one of the Rokinon primes. The 8-16 can't take screw-on filters on the wide end if that's an issue for you.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

Is $800 good for a used Canon 60D body with a 3rd party battery grip and two batteries?

Seems a little high-- a refurbs from Canon and used from KEH show under $600 for the body, and I don't think those accessories would add $250 in value.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

I messed up in my original post. It's actually a 70D! I think that makes it a stronger deal, yes?

Assuming good condition, that seems like a good deal, but probably not suspiciously/outrageously good?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leviathor posted:

I've loved my U2711 since I bought it.

It does have an initialization issue, where it won't activate the display from powersaver mode, unless you unplug and re-plug the video cable. That's a persistent annoyance, but for the cost and performance, it's not an insurmountable problem.

I feel like this happens eventually with pretty much every monitor I've used.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

Has anyone tried either of these 150-600mm lesnses?

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-745101-150-600mm-5-0-6-3-Medium-Telephoto-Lens/dp/B00THOYRN6
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-FocusA011C700-150-600mm-5-6-3-Cameras/dp/B00HR6IPSE

I'm looking for something that goes past the 250mm lens I have now, the guy at the camera shop recommended the Tamron and it doesn't seem like there's much else around that price range.

The Tamron is a great lens for the price. It is a big lens though- I've had my best results from a tripod, and it will take some getting use to in order to hand-hold steadily. You'll need to stop down a bit (~f9 or so), so will be easier to use with newer cameras that don't suck at 1600iso.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They are pretty close. Here's one comparison of the two. I guess if I had to do it again maybe I'd look at the Sigma since it may be a little sharper at 600mm but when I bought mine only the Tamron was available horribly back-ordered.

Actually, knowing what I do now, I might save up for the Sport version since I mainly use this on a tripod anyway.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just something to consider, but a g7X is about the same range as what you listed, and would be a whole lot smaller and lighter. Obviously it wouldn't be equivalent to a 6D + circ pol, but if you aren't going wider or longer, it might be worth at least thinking about.

And I don't know if this would be necessary or practical, but if electricity might be hard to come by, maybe some sort of solar charger you can clip onto the outside of your backpack while hiking.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is I bet you could do this for under $500: 100mm macro, kenko extension tubes, flash (what's a used 430ex go for?), adjustable flash bracket, cheap monopod. Make a home-made flash diffuser out of translucent drawer liner and some velcro.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I have this one:

It's got 2 adjustable arms if you want you can make a mini-reflector for the arm opposite the flash. You can also simplify and take off the 2nd arm and go with just the flash. One thing to note is that the flash is really too heavy for the arm if you are aiming down you really have to tighten the arms super well or they will swing. For this reason I wouldn't whole-heartedly recommend this one for outdoor macro work when you're moving around a lot- it works but can occasionally be a little frustrating.

fyi the flash diffuser plans are here

No idea about the flash and bgn quality. Assuming the contacts work and you can adjust the +/- ev and it doesn't start a fire the first time you use it, it should be fine.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had friends go on honeymoons in HI and some of them have bought a waterproof P&S for snorkling, rainy hikes, etc. I'm not sure what the latest hotness is but I'd guess it's in the ballpark of a less expensive UWA.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

Spartan Race has claimed another victim: the mode dial faceplate fell off my 5D3. I think a few drops of super glue will fix it; a fellow photog said it happened to him and Canon wanted like $295 to replace that whole assembly. gently caress that.

That's happened to my 6D and I superglued it back.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Lol if you don't roll around 24/7 with a 256gb usb drive in your rear end just in case.

We finally know what the appendix is for

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is this like a backpacking trip or more like drive somewhere and hike a half-mile from the car? If you definitely want to bring the 150-600, maybe keep the pack small and get a holster or other small padded case you can throw over your shoulder. It will make it a lot easier to swap that lens, and also makes more sense if you go on hikes where you want to leave that lens behind. Or go with a 80/100-400 and save your back.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Taiwan has some cool birds so I'd at least think about bringing mine.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the tripod thread went to archives, so I'll ask here. Anyone have experience with bento travel tripods? B&H has a deal on today. These look like the slightly sturdier (and more expensive) versions of the ones that don't have a center post. Not sure what kit I'd use it mostly with, but probably up to a 6D+400L or 70-300L, more often with 17-40 or for a phone/point and shoot for time lapses.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be contrarian and say that for birds you'd be better off with the 70-300. The thing with birds is most are small, and most hate you, so they tend to be far away. at 200mm they will be small enough that you'll almost always be focusing on the bigger, more contrasty thing in the environment (like the rest of the tree they are sitting on).

No doubt the 70-200L is going to be better for almost everything else.

do you have a Canon? Maybe check out the 400 f/5.6 L. No IS, but light and sharp, and used it should be close to your price range.

The 150-600's from Sigma/Tamron are much much bigger but some are not too far north of your $500 target.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have the Tammy 150-600 too. The zoom lock switch broke a little while back which makes it less fun to walk around with, but I'm still getting a lot of nice photos with it. My father in law got the gen2 version for Sony and it looks pretty awesome.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

I’m looking to get a long telephoto zoom for bird/wildlife photography, and am considering either the Sigma 100-400 or the 150-600 C. I tend to shoot handheld while walking in the woods, and I’m wondering if the longer lens would be too much of a hassle. I’m a larger guy, so carrying around reasonably heavy equipment doesn’t really bother me.

What do you folks think? Is the 150-600 Contemporary better suited for tripod/monopod use?

I've been shooting Tamron 150-600, which is pretty equivalent to the Sigma. You can definitely hike with it, but you'll feel like you are hiking with a big lens. There are shots I miss because I can't be as quick and agile with such a big lens, but then some of the shots I do get are better for being at 600mm. The more you use it the better you'll get hand-held. You'll get more keepers on a tripod, but that doesn't mean you can't also hike with it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In the market for CF cards for the first time in forever. How often are there good sales? Any sites other than the usual (Amazon/B&H/Adorama) to check?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got a 7dii a couple of months ago and I really like it so far. A smidge more noise than my 6D but that's probably to be expected, and nothing to really complain about. Lots of discussion about those lenses in the Bird making GBS threads thread. I'm not sure if there was a consensus but I think the new Tamron is supposed to be really nice but there was some concern about getting slightly-off copies. Right now I'm using the Canon 400/5.6 but I'll probably get the new Tamron eventually...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nobody can say the Sigma 8-16 ain't fun to use.

There's also the Rokinon manual focus primes.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can I ask what storage you are recording to that you have hypothetically infinite run-times if you are plugged into a wall?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KennyG posted:

I'll bet half my mileage balance that the baggage handler did this intentionally to spite you for some sick reason. Don't get me wrong, they are shockingly incompetent but think of this objectively from the viewpoint of a guy who is getting paid $15/hr to load bags on a plane outside. By you desperately trying to avoid it, you stuck out to that guy and maybe rubbed him the wrong way in his sick mind. He likely wanted to get back at you in the only way he could. On gate-checking your best course of action is not to play up the value or importance. Just agree, get your claim check and sit down. Your far-side rights are the same either way (which are only $3,500 domestically anyway). All of the recommendations above on making sure you can carry your camera gear and avoid mishandled tomfoolery are 100% valid and great ideas. All I'm saying is that if you find yourself where you may need to gate-check on a tiny plane, be inconspicuous.

As has been mentioned previously, your only compensation hope now is going to be miles, and honestly I don't think you will get many if any. Short of that guy outing himself by posting an Instagram of "Watch me lose Verman's bag" they are going to hide behind bureaucracy and make you crazy the more you push. In the end you pulled the cards out before hand (which was very smart), you got your gear back two days later and its undamaged. Is it frustrating? Absolutely. Will anything change? Probably not. I know this isn't as comforting a post as you want and I don't want you to think it's an attack. Just trying to help so hopefully next time your bag arrives with you.

I agree with this pretty much. poo poo get lost on occasion even when it seems like there's no possible way it should. Delta found it right away and delivered it to your house for free (not guaranteed to happen, I've had to drive back to the airport before), so I think they feel like they've done their duty. And they're not going to make exceptions about carry on size because once they do then everyone will start wanting it. Your best bet may be to argue that they did not give you adequate warning when you bought the ticket that the plane was under-sized compared to standard planes and had more restrictions on carry-ons. (and that if you had known, you would have packed differently and/or made alternative travel arrangements).

Do companies still monitor social media for troubleshooting purposes? I've known of some folks who, rather than starting with customer service, started politely bitching on twitter and got some recompense. But that was a while ago, and people with lots of followers, so don't know whether to suggest that now.

Heck, maybe some miles and some drink vouchers are worth a 45 minute call to customer service. I don't know. I just feel like, unless you are like super platinum flyer club or whatever, every airline is going to make you miserable at some point, so unless they REALLY f you over and then poo poo on you afterwards, it's probably a "grass is always greener" situation. Except for United, gently caress them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since insurance talk has come up again, anyone have a recommendation for insurance for photography as a very small side business? I'd like my gear fully insured against theft and damage, but also a little bit of liability insurance. I shoot nature/landscape and don't do bookings/events so much, so I don't have much worry about breach of contract issues, but I think I'd want at least a little bit of insurance in case my festival canopy collapsed and killed somebody's dog or something... But it's mainly for the gear.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I just ended up with one of these too. I need to figure out my workspace before it can be really useful and I'm probably not enough of a high-volume editor to really justify it but it looks really badass.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with Canon crafting printers? I'd like to be able to print 7x10 borderless, with print quality that approaches what I get from a Pixma Pro 100. Probably don't need 13x19 capability since I have that covered with the Pixma 100 and Pixma 10.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone suggest a good how-to video for graduated nd filters? I ended up with a set of cokins and wouldn’t mind some tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I lost the lens cap to my 14mm MF Rokinon. B&H only has rear caps and Amazon has 1 used for $40. I think I'm not searching under the right terms or something? Anyone know where I can get one?