Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I've been thinking of grabbing a small travel tripod with a decent ball head. I have a cheap unbranded aluminum tripod that's way too short for even me, and it's actually so frustrating to use. So I was looking for one with similar folded dimensions (~16" length) to fit in my backpack, but could also unfold to 5 feet or so.

My price range is ~$300. I was mostly looking at the carbon fiber MeFOTO Globetrotter, seemed to check all the boxes. Not sure if the extra $100 is worth it to go for carbon fiber over aluminum though, that's what I'm a little unsure about. If anyone has any other suggestions on what I should spend my money on instead that'd be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

How much time do you guys spend on flatbed scanning for medium format? I'm considering picking up a flatbed in the future for when I get some more medium format developed so I can get better control over the output. I'm shooting pretty sporadically but I'm planning on some trips in the near future, so I'm expecting it'll come in waves.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you don't get a V700 then prepare to spend a while scanning. The V500 can only do one negative at a time if they're larger than 6x6, the V700 can do much larger batches at once, so you can watch a movie or something and only come back to reload it once every 20 minutes.

So I have both a 645 and 67 camera, so it's a bit of a mix. There seems to be quite a price difference between the V500/600 and the V700/800. Is there much of a difference in scan quality besides throughput as well?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Well, guess I'm glad I asked. Obviously the feedback in this thread so far isn't on board with what the off-site posters were saying about those heads.

Thats a pricy counteroffer though. Photography is an expensive hobby, but the Pentax 6x7 (not 67II) is a value-priced entry in its range. I love mine and hate to say it, but if I had $1,500 to drop on the Cube, I'd probably have a Mamiya 7 instead and wouldn't need a top-tier geared head anyway.

(Probably. But then again if I was flush I might just have a nice late-model 67...they're the most badass looking cameras in the 6x7 format.)

I've only had a Pentax 6x7 since August but I took it with me on a trip to Singapore with the Mefoto Globetrotter tripod (someone mentioned it a few pages ago as well). I used the tripod a few times for some night shots and it felt sturdy enough for 16s exposures. I haven't gotten my stuff developed/scanned yet so I won't be able to tell how sharp everything is, but it didn't look wobbly at all when I was shooting. The ballhead was easy enough to use and it didn't feel like the camera would slip once I tightened it in place... the only issue I had was that when trying to shoot vertically, the camera would dip a little inward due to its weight so I would have to adjust it a little to line it all up. It's rated for 26 lbs which is 2x as much as your current tripod, which should be enough for the 6x7.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can anyone suggest a good how-to video for graduated nd filters? I ended up with a set of cokins and wouldn’t mind some tips.

How about some words? https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2016/8/30/gnd-filters-getting-the-perfect-exposure-in-one-shot

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Is there any cheap, simple adapter from 95mm diameter lenses to 100mm filters?

Are you talking about 100mm square filter holder systems?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Helicity posted:

A few related questions after being away from photography for quite awhile:

- I've got a Mamiya 7 + 80mm in really nice condition, and I just can't bond with the rangefinder style of shooting, so it's getting sold. The price on these is astronomical now. How do I go about selling this and minimizing my chance of getting screwed?

I've been selling some film gear lately and I aim to sell locally through craigslist or some other group, for straight up cash. Film cameras are kind of finicky and I am always a little wary of shipping them. First time I ever bought a film camera, I got it through Japan, when it came the shutter jammed on exactly the second shot, so I don't buy cameras from Japan anymore. So I'm a little paranoid I'll ship something out and the other guy will get something damaged and freak out, even if I know it worked on my end. If it's local, they can see that everything works as expected, and check everything else out right there with you.

But depending on where you are the market might not be very large, even if it's a Mamiya 7. So on the other hand, I've sold some stuff through online forums, I've actually done some purchases/sales through r/photomarket. It's a little easier to reach out to people and I can look at people's post histories to see if they're actually real or not. Just sticking to Paypal G+S (and as a seller I always generate an invoice) so there is some degree of buyer protection, if you find someone who wants to pay you in friends+family they're insane since there's no protections there whatsoever for them.

Other than that you've got eBay and other sales websites, those obviously take a higher cut and are still very buyer favored. I don't have any eBay selling experience so someone else can chime in on that, but it's got strong buyer protections.

And then you've got some places like KEH which will grade and buy your camera to resell on their own. But even with any discounts they offer you, you are going to get a low offer from them.

I think no matter what when you sell, take a lot of pictures of it and document any issues. Run a test roll through it first so you know everything is working great, get the negatives back uncut so you can see if there are issues like spacing issues or light leaks you've got to worry about as well (and use a good lab so they don't gently caress up your negatives and make you think you've got a camera issue too)

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

I found something even more fun than the usual point and shoots at Goodwill this weekend: a Canon Selphy printer, bundled with some ink and paper for just $15. It's a dye sublimation printer, cost is around ~20-30c per print. The prints themselves don't look too bad either. So now I'm gonna be making it rain 4x6s on my friends over the holidays.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

xzzy posted:

I keep hunting for ways to get more silly aspect ratios like 3:1. Because gently caress the sky, I just need that tree to fill my peripheral from left to right.

I have a fairly high MP camera so I can crop quite a bit without much issue but it feels weird to throw away 2/3 of the sensor's pixels.

Unfortunately stitching panos makes me anxious, if I can't see the whole composition on the back of the camera it feels like a prayer. And the only other option is to go film and do 6x17 but man that's a rabbit hole I am not ready for.

You should get a 617 just so you can see the slides on a light table. It makes it almost worth the 4 shots per roll

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

I am looking at a webpage where they sell a new Leica M6, with warranty. Only 5000€. Not too bad, I think. Please help.

I have too many film cameras, but they are all old, none of them work right and hard/impossible to service these days.

if you want a metered rangefinder body get a Bessa R2 or one of the other M-mount Bessas. Then buy a voigtlander lens in your preferred focal length

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Megabound posted:

35mm SLR can be a very cheap world to play in. Look at the Minolta SRT series, Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax ME/ME Super, basically anyone who isn't Canon or Nikon and you'll find a body and lens for $100 or less.

My daily 35mm is a Minolta SRT303b and they're great cameras with great (and cheap) glass.

The canons aren't much more expensive if you look closely. I picked up a Canon Elan 7NE for $65 off ebay, which is already one of the higher end AF canons, and the 40mm/50mm primes are also pretty cheap too (I assume the 90s kit lens zooms are generally trash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

xzzy posted:

Anyone know the image circle size on Pentax 6x7 lenses? I am unable to coax google to give me the details and I think I might do a Stupid Lens Adapting Project and am trying to hunt down numbers.

If it's different for each lens, I'm mostly curious about the 45mm. Maybe the 55mm too.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-64857.html towards the bottom. Somewhere around 5" for most lenses.