Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Mr. Despair posted:

we need to make a Pentax ME Superposters gang tag.

Count me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Krelas posted:

Cheers, just ordered an ME Super from keh.com. Look at what you've done, dorkroom.

congratulations

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Dr. Lenin posted:

I'm looking to get something to use as a primary all-purpose lens, and I have a chance to buy a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 that is in pretty good shape for $350. Is this a solid lens? I know the Tamron 17-50mm is the most recommended, but after banging around with a kit 18-55mm and an 80-200mm f/2.8 for the past few years I was thinking a little middle ground zoom range would be nice.

It's the full frame version of the 17-50 and is supposed to be comparable, although I haven't used it myself.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

Hi camera goons. Here's my dad's old Minolta SRT101 from the 70s, and a few lenses and stuff. I don't know jack squat about cameras n' poo poo. Is it worth trying to sell this stuff or do I just donate it to a charity shop? Fake edit: or do I just throw it in the trash, I mean that's an option too.

Ill throw out an offer of $40 plus shipping for the lot.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I want this, in a Pentax-1.7x-AF-style moving-element focuser, on an APS-C body with phase-detection-focus sensor a la the Fuji X200.

And I want a pony!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

kahm posted:

I would think the benefits of vibration reduction would outweigh the differences in optics, but I'm having a hard time finding a comparison or any one else bringing up this point.

How is VC going to cancel out poor optics if, for example, you're shooting stopped down on a tripod?

How is VC going to cancel out poor optics if you're shooting kids indoors wide open?

I'm not saying that the VC version is bad, just trying to understand what you were getting at with this comment? I used to think I needed VC on every lens, but in reality this lens really doesn't need it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

I bought my first polarizing filter this weekend. I knew what to expect, but I wasn't expecting it to be such a dramatic difference:

Wow, I've been living in Calgary way too long. I recognized where this picture was taken.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

dakana posted:

re: monitor chat, I'm still using a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 931BW I bought in 2007. Now that I think about it, it's seen me through high school graduation, a dorm, three college apartments, my college graduation, back home, and now my new apartment when I moved out having gotten a job.

Come to think of it, I think I bought my LG in 2006, which is still use.

eesh

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you mean light-capturing he's correct. More specifically, it captures the same amount of light but compresses it into a smaller area, making the image brighter.

Yeah, like using a magnifying glass to kill ants.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Doesn't matter which anymore, since the best primes aren't Canon or Nikon anyways. ~sigma~

Canon for AF, Nikon for ISO and DR.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 30, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

bobfather posted:

Your whole post is confusing, since Sigma lenses have some of the most bipolar focusing tendencies of any modern AF lenses.

Also, Nikon bodies, even the entry-level ones have AF systems that surpass anything Canon except for the 5d3 and 1dx.

And I guess you're right about Nikons having better ISO and DR, but it's a Sony sensor, so...

For the sigma's, I'm referring to the new 35mm, 50 and 85 1.4's. which personally I would choose over the first party counterparts.

Also maybe the AF is a bit of a generalization but the 7d beats anything Nikon has in crop, and the 5d3 beats anything short of a d4. I guess a d700 has better AF than a 5d2 so, eh. Rock Paper Scissors.

The last generation of Nikon sensors are made by Sony, Toshiba or Nikon depending on the body.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I have a hard time recommending anything other than FF cameras nowadays, except in certain cases, with prices the way they are.

Exceptions being wanting the excellent 7d autofocus without the 5d3 budget; or wanting a "good camera" without really being interested in photography (get a 3200/5200); or wanting something really tiny (go m4/3).

Also if you just plain don't have the money.

Ok I guess that's a lot of reasons not to go full frame but whatever.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

You've got it backwards. New CF = old FF. Of course 6D > 550D.

e: compare a 5D to a 700D.

A 5Dmk1 has cleaner output than a 700D. That's more Canons fault than anything, since they haven't updated their crop sensors since 2009.

A better comparison would be 5D or 1Ds1 to an OM-d, x-e1 or d3200/d5200. All of which are pretty fantastic smaller format cameras. But that's still like a 5 year+ release date difference.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Yeah we're past this point. The discussion now is that engineering trumps physics after a 3 year product cycle, which is patently false.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

I went right to the bottom for sweet sperging.

:geno:

Killjoys!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Any of the 10-15 dollar adapters on amazon or ebay are going to work just as well as any other one, so just go to town.

fotodiox

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

First they came for our pic dump threads.
Then they came for our lovely photographer threads.
Then they came for our gear threads.
-Anne Frank

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

powderific posted:

If you live in Australia I'm not sure why you'd buy from B&H instead of a local company. I mean, B&H is fine, but even as someone who lives in the US I wouldn't buy from them over Amazon if Amazon was cheaper.

Have you seen Australian prices?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Sigma 35mm F1.4 A

Anyone with a full frame camera needs this lens.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Pentax has such a fantastic line of APS-C cameras. Weather sealing, decent autofocus, advanced features, great sensors, legacy lens compatibility, selection of modern primes, the list goes on.

The downsides are
1. availability and price of lenses in general, especially higher end.
2. No upgrade beyond the K5ii (which is arguably one of the best APS-C cameras ever made so whatevs)

If you're not lusting after full frame or planning on shooting NFL games then Pentax is a great choice. It all comes down to what appeals to you the most.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SybilVimes posted:

wait, are you seriously saying that availability of PK mount lenses is an issue? Because PK and Nikon F are about on par in terms of how many lenses are out there.

Pentax/Ricoh may not have the most available lenses on their books today. But you shouldn't have any trouble finding quality lenses made in the last 40 years. (Although IIRC Nikon were quicker to add auto-focus to the F mount than Pentax, so there might be more PK (manual) than PKA (AF) lenses out there)

I guess I should have qualified that statement with "other than manual focus lenses". You are correct that there are fewer AF Penatx lenses than CaNikon (Pentax doesn't even make an AF 70-200F2.8). The ones that do exist are not as common to find used. Also, Pentax keeps raising prices (77mm 1.8 for 1k in Pentax vs 85mm 1.8 for ~400 from CaNikon).

Anyways even after all that I would still recommend Pentax in general, as long as it suits your use.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

You also just plain get more camera for your money from Pentax.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

why even own a camera, really

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Haggins posted:

I don't get how I was being condescending but whatever. If I wasn't really into photography as I am now, I wouldn't be motivated enough to carry around a bunch of heavy rear end gear. In fact, I would be unhappy at myself for wasting the money on something I'm not getting the full benefit from.

I guess what "the full benefit" is varies from person to person. And also you're equating not being into photography with not wanting to become a pro.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Dangerous Mind posted:

OK so finally I found a thread that's relevant to my interests.

What you are looking to buy
Just looking for a cheap camera that's most recommended for the budget.
Budget
About ~$300, I don't want to spend more than that.
Your photo gear you already have
None.
What you plan on using your purchase for
I want to take progress pictures when I lift because I find it motivating, hence why I'm not spending $1k+.
What you find limiting about what you have now
I have a camera phone but the quality is absolute poo poo.

Canon S95/S100

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

About third party 70-200mm/2.8, how hampering is the blurry corner performance of both the Tamron and (even more on) the Sigma in practical non-peeing use?

Sorry, I only use them for peeing purposes.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I heard UV filters are still useful on film, C/D?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Except make you wonder why all your reds are radioactive looking, until you realize you had no idea how color profiles worked.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Dell Ultasharp, spend to taste.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

If you're in Canada and want to support a legit vendor who "gets it", order from thecamerastore.com (based in Calgary)

They're the guys who created battle on f-stop ridge, along with a bunch of good reviews on their YouTube channel. Quite a few dudes who work there are professional photographers, well known locally. The store is always busy and an awesome place to browse and talk photography with other nerds.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Remember the Minolta lens mount changed between their manual focus and Maxxum cameras.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

My 35mm camera's meter really only works properly with illegal mercury batteries (there's a modern good-enough substitute that makes it read a stop off). But at least Zuiko glass isn't radioactive.

My chromenose zuiko 50mm 1.4 is hella radioactive.

Hi I'm a zinc air cell. I'm cheap, your grandma loves me, but I don't last very long under pressure.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the cheapest, decent full frame body you can get into for a fairly normal used price? D700?

5D mk1, pretty much a no brainer @ ~$500 nowadays.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Sigma is known to be working on a new 'Art' version if it's fast 50. Canon is going to release an all new 50mm 1.8 with IS to match the other slow-ish but sharp IS primes that came out last year (priced at the current 1.4 level or higher of course).

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Ferris Bueller posted:

I'm thinking of purchasing canons 40mm pancake for an upcoming trip to Rome. I really don't think I will notice the stop of light loss compared to using my Sigma 50mm f1.4 a la roll in an extra stop with ISO, but I do think the weight savings will be surely felt at the end of the day.

1.4 to 2.8 is two stops. But the 40 is sharp wide open so probably not too much sacrifice for landscape/environmental/touristy stuff.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 4, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

3100 is a good starter camera. Great sensor, no major features missing. And that bundle covers the important focal lengths. Go for it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Nope, he's right. Just pay for a baby photographer and get the nice shots finished and out of the way. Then enjoy taking pictures of your kid without your wife giving you that look of "why do you spend thousands on this hobby when you can't even take Anne Geddes style pictures of our children! "

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I hope you guys are ready for a full on sperg-a-thon, because I need some advice.

I've been in gear buying paralysis for a year due to not being able to commit to a single system. I need a new camera(s), but my problem is I want it all.

I used to have a Rebel T3i, which I recently sold, and bought a 5D mk1. This got me in a moderate amount of trouble with the old lady, since I can't shoot video anymore (I have kids that do things that we occasionally want to record I guess, and an iPhone won't cut it at an xmas concert). So now I'm under orders to get something to shoot video. Ok fair enough. I really have been planning to switch to Nikon from Canon due to the better sensors for the past year or so (but still keep the 5D because ~classic~). That being said, I'm reluctant to drop 4-5k on switching systems because of the money (of course) but also, I'd lose the ability to easily adapt cool lenses I own (screwmount stuff, OM/K mount stuff, etc.)

So one option I thought of was with the new Fuji XE-2 because of the better autofocus.
[x] legacy compatibility
[x] first party lenses that kick rear end
[x] sweet image quality
[x] video (barely)
[x] AF good enough for kids soccer
[x] the price is right
[ ] full frame
[ ] wireless TTL flash (shut up i like it)
[ ] yeah the first party lenses rule but they are pricey and no cheap third party options like the more established systems

Next up, Nikon D610 setup
[x] ridiculous selection of well priced first and third party lenses
[x] sweet image quality
[x] good video
[x] AF better than good enough
[x] Full Frame
[x] wireless TTL
[ ] expensive as all hell (cheap lenses balance this out somewhat)
[ ] no legacy glass (other than F mount so not a total loss)

Next I guess I could stay with Canon (6D i guess??)
[x] ridiculous selection of well priced first and third party lenses
[x] good video
[x] keep existing flashes
[x] AF good enough
[x] Full Frame
[x] wireless TTL
[x] moderate legacy lens compatibilty
[ ] good image quality but some compromises vs Nikon WRT dynamic range, shadow noise etc
[ ] thanks to Canon taking features I really like out of the 6D i may be "forced" to buy a 5Dmk3 which would be expensive
[x] let's be honest here, the moderately priced L glass is really good value compared to Nikon

What I shoot:
Kids
Video of kids
a half dozen gigs a year maybe using remote flash, triggers etc
Landscapey, environmental MrBlandAverage/Patrick Joust type bullshit
budget: honestly I don't even know anymore, photography has introduced a disconnect between myself and sane financial decisions

i have problems

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 12, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

The stocks of refurb D600's dried up fairly quickly up here in Canada (I should have jumped on one @ 1499), but as recently as this past lunch hour, I saw a camera store with some left over retail D600's for $1799. For a $200 price difference, I'd rather just get the oil free shutter with the quiet mode and better weather sealing of the D610 though.

~IRC~ told me to flip a coin between a Canon 5D2 or an XE-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Hmmmm...may be worth importing one if that's the case.