Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dredd and Anderson fighting their way through a block run by a slow motion drug dealing gang is definitely something that wouldn't be out of place in the comics. And Dredd may be a fascist but he's rarely presented as a straight up villain (though that has happened). He's normally more of an antihero, like Dirty Harry (who he was heavily inspired by).

Dredd is completely merciless in his application of the law, he's a clone of Chief Judge Fargo (the dude who overthrew the last President of the USA) raised since birth to be part of this horrendous post apocalyptic capitalist police state dictatorship. So his values are completely hosed up but he's not evil. He will put his life on the line to save an innocent, it's just that his definition of an innocent is going to be a lot narrower.

Which is why I think this low-key storyline is a good idea- if they had him fighting Judge Death or someone completely evil, then it would be really hard to not come across as endorsing Dredd's values. Instead they establish the character and setting with a relatively normal day in Dredd's life.

My main concern for this movie is that with the low budget they aren't really getting across how crazy Mega City One is, it all looks a bit bland. There should be all kinds of stupid fashions, adverts everywhere, flying hovercars, the skyline should be a cluttered mess. This is the one thing the Stallone movie did a really good job on. Most of the new movie takes place inside one block so this shouldn't be a problem for long.

But for the sequel they need to give it a huge budget and get Paul Verhoeven to direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That reminds me, the Stallone movie also had Judge Hershey (Diane Lane's character) as Dredd's love interest. Judges aren't allowed to love. And while some might break that rule, Dredd never would.

And also in the new movie I don't approve of Dredd being so unshaven.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Wow, I cant believe you do not see the main characters eyes ONCE in this trailer.

Its one of the most basic ways you connect with a character and all we have is a jaw and a helmet. I understand thats Dredd, but it worked for Stallone because everybody knew who Stallone was.

Karl Urban is NOT a recognizable face/name, so the whole not showing his eyes thing is pretty dumb.

Surely this post can't be serious.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not very familiar with the source material beyond the basics, would she be suitable as a character the audience can connect to in the way AccountSupervisor talks about? Kind of like this movie's Rob Schneider?

Yes Anderson is much more human and relatable than Dredd is, despite her powerful abilities (I'm interested to see how her powers are handled, there wasn't a hint of them in the trailer). Also in this movie she is a rookie meeting Dredd for the first time, so yeah we will be seeing Dredd through her eyes.

I'm actually pretty amazed that Anderson wasn't in the Stallone film, she's easily the most popular non-Dredd Judge character.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was never clear on if Dredd and Rico were meant to be exact copies of Fargo or if they made some changes.

Besides they all looked completely different in the Stallone film!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I'd say the '95 movie communicated the anti- part pretty well. The supporting cast frequently comments on his over the top application of the law, and Rico, despite being a mass murderer, actually makes a good point during his big speech.

Not seeing any indication of irony from this trailer though.

I thought that the way the Stallone film treated Dredd as though he was some renegade taking things too far in the eyes of the other Judges was missing the point. It was silly to have Hershey and Fargo and people criticising him- he's like the perfect Judge. Calling out Dredd for his application of the law is basically calling out the whole Judge system. The only Judges who would do it would be actual free thinking renegades, which none of Dredd's critics were portrayed as. Edit- Except Rico obviously.

They latched onto the idea of him being a Dirty Harry type antihero but missed the point that unlike Dirty Harry he operates under a system where his methods are completely acceptable.

Though they did also have non Judge characters calling him/the system out which was good.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The costume and set design in the Stallone film were great, it's just the rest of the film that's a problem. They choose to have Rico as the main villain- not the choice I would have made, I think learning about Dredd's 'family' is something you do after you know the character. But fine, there's a lot to work with there.

Then they just add everything they could think of to mess up what, in the comic, was a relatively simple story of two brothers at odds with each other. And they miss the point of just about everything. They add Hammerstein the robot, who isn't even from Judge Dredd but another unconnected 2000ad strip. He looked good though. They take us to the cursed earth where we meet the Angel Gang, who are done well but really deserve more than the short sequence they got. They add Judge Fargo (who is long dead before Dredd crawled out of his cloning tank). I think Dredd having an actual relationship with his clone-father humanises both Dredd and Fargo too much. To Dredd Fargo should be the almost godlike distant Father of Justice, not a mentor figure he has nice chats with. They add Fergie, a moron character who appeared once in the comics 30 years ago and change him drastically from a lumbering giant brute idiot to being Rob Schneider.

This is what Rob Schneider's character was like in the comics, if I remember right he died in the same story he was introduced in. He is not someone the fans were demanding to see in the movie, and is only remembered because he appears in a minor role in a classic story.

I think they must have just decided to place Rob Schneider in the movie and just chose a name for him out of the comic randomly.

Also there weren't any fat people with belly wheels, which is like half the point of doing a Judge Dredd movie. Hopefully the new movie will have wheeled fatties in 3D.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also sending Judges who gently caress up to a penal colony on Titan where they need to be surgically altered to survive is one of the most memorable and horrifying things from the comics. One of the things that really shows the Judges aren't the good guys. This is rico from the comics after he gets out and comes after Dredd for revenge.

So they change it to Aspen and just have a few jokes about how Aspen isn't a place you want to go to in this future world, ho ho!

bobkatt013 posted:

They also need to have his sterotypical Italian maid.

Yes this too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

McDark posted:

I can understand how Dredd '95 may have been a wild departure from the images and themes of the comics, and how Dredd fans who wanted that would be disappointed at the lost potential - I have similar feelings about the Transformers films. However, I don't see that as a criticism of the film rather than viewers' expectations. Admittedly this discussion pops up in every thread where the existing source material has a fan base so I'm not looking to repeat it. I'm glad the film was made, stylish camp and all, and at the same time am looking forward to a more grounded effort in the new Dredd film.

It's not that they messed with the source material- that's something anyone adapting something into a film is going to do. It's that they seemed to not understand it, and then they kept adding random things from the comic cluttering up the movie. Mean Machine, Fergie, The Cursed Earth, etc etc. On the one hand it's a really unfaithful adaptation, on the other it's full of random things and characters from the comics, so much so that the main plot is neglected. It's the worst of both worlds when it comes to adaptations.

Payndz posted:

Danny Cannon once said that writer Steven de Souza kept complaining about Dredd: "This guy is a fascist!" The reason for the bit where Dredd blows up the yuppie guy's car is because the thought process literally was "This makes him a dick rather than a monster, which gives us a starting point to redeem and humanise him." :ughh:

Now de Souza wrote Commando, The Running Man and Die Hard, so to me that lifts him above most criticism. But yeah, he really didn't get the point of Dredd at all, and was trying to fit him into the standard Hollywood formula.

Not that I don't blame Danny Cannon for a lot of those failures as well, but yeah the humanising of Dredd was such a mistake.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wow I wasn't expecting this to be that violent. Good stuff. Really shows just how dangerous Dredd is. Those poor villains, thinking they had ten minutes to shoot Dredd and Anderson.

Man the lawgiver is cool as heck. And it says high-ex! Not grenade like the Stallone movie. I'm not sure why that super minor detail pleases me but it does.

Really pleased this is getting such positive reviews.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

To clarify, is this film actually shot entirely in 3D or simply post produced?

If its the latter then I think ill just be seeing the 2D version.

It's shot in 3D.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha I was not expecting a Fergee reference in this movie.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They better have old one eye in a Cursed Earth movie! And also President whatshisname, the guy that started world war three, he'd have to be included. Meeting him after spending the whole movie seeing the radioactive wasteland he created would be pretty great.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Payndz posted:

President Booth (yep, naming the final president of the United States after a presidential assassin was quite deliberate).

Oh yeah! It's been a long while since I've read the Cursed Earth, I should remedy this.

Payndz posted:

Who would they have as the fifth face on Mount Rushmore, though? The Jimmy Carter joke probably wouldn't work as well today...

Surely there is only one choice-

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still haven't seen Dredd 3D yet, but did you guys see this in the movie posters thread?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What is it with lovely covers for Bluray releases of older movies? Just look at this. There is nothing iconic 'DREDD' being used, not even the helmet. The ridiculously plain background used... I mean if I didn't have a soft spot for the movie 'STALLONE JUDGE DREDD' I wouldn't even buy it :colbert:

Also, what's wrong with your arm, man?!

Friggin' look at that arm!

It reminds me of that terrible van graffiti version of this picture:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would they have the helmet on the cover when he did not even wear it most of the movie?

That's true I suppose, it is a more honest cover. It's still sacrilege though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was great, I loved it. My only quibble is the low budget shows through sometimes with the vehicles not being as futuristic as I'd like, but that's a minor concern.

I'm so glad they didn't get bogged down in some unnecessary origin story or some backstory requiring classic villain from the comic- just a day in the life of Dredd and Anderson. Both leads did a great job and I just want to see more of them, I really hope this does well enough to get a sequel with an expanded budget so they can really show how crazy Mega City 1 is.

A lot of people have been comparing this to Verhoeven with the violence but it reminded me of John Carpenter, the grimy locations and gang members could have come straight out of Escape from New York.

I haven't picked up a Dredd comic for years, but now I'm thinking it's time to get those complete case files and work out where I put all my old 2000ADs and Megazines.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well seems like this is doing really badly in the US, lots of reports of empty screenings. Box Office Mojo says it only took $2.2 million on Friday. So I guess a sequel's looking unlikely.

Thanks a lot America. :argh:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also I thought they oddly shied away from showing/lingering on the gore for an R rated movie. Maybe they're saving stuff for the unrated Blu-ray release.

What? It's one of the goriest movies I've seen in years.

Fatkraken posted:

Assuming theatres are willing to keep it around, I think it might be a slow burn. It's been getting really good reviews across the board and the word of mouth is pretty phenomenal (just look at this thread). Hopefully it's just people avoiding an unknown quantity so far and it'll have a long tail.

Let's hope so, but a movie coming back from a bad opening is incredibly rare, isn't it? Best chance of a sequel now is hoping that it gets a following on DVD/Blu Ray.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Just got back from seeing this and I loved it. I'm not usually one for 3d films, because they always look blurry because of my weird eyes rather than because of any artistic objections, but the 3d in this was great, no discomfort at all.

To me a lot of the slo-mo scenes seemed to be framed in the same way a comic panel would be. I've never read any Dredd but scenes like the first shoot out in the drug den with lots of close up bullet wounds reminded me a lot of "edgy" comics from the 90s. Was it my imagination or did blood actually leave the frame during that part?

Yes, but they cheated by letterboxing for that one shot, the blood doesn't really leave the frame, it just goes onto the black border.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

The cinema was basically empty, which is a bad sign for its second weekend. How much did they say they needed for a sequel?

$50 million in the US.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

And finally in the end, after all is said and done, after Anderson had experienced all of this, she rejects both social constructs. She removes her badge and walks away from the mentality they try to force on her. She wont adopt the hyper masculinity of being a Judge and will not disconnect and become Ma-ma to do so.

I would have never guessed to find any of that in a Judge Dredd movie. Alex Garland is fantastic.

Interesting thoughts but Anderson doesn't walk away from being a Judge, she is walking away because she thinks she has failed her assessment, since she lost her weapon which is an automatic fail. She doesn't realise that Dredd is willing to bend the rules and pass her.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

But I read a spoiler that said (Caution HUGE spoilers for Dredd series!) Dredd was created in a lab to be the PERFECT Judge. How does that make sense?

He's a clone of Chief Judge Fargo, the first Chief Judge. He's still human, just like Fargo was.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

Dredd doesn't let the homeless guy off with a warning because the Law is fallible. He lets the guy off only because there are three murders to be dealt with first.

Also, not arresting the guy on the spot is Anderson's call, not Dredd's. Dredd agrees with it, obviously, but if Anderson had recommended cuffing the guy to a rail and picking him up on the way out he would have done that too. The flexibility of the Law is only in what crimes are dealt with and how.

Yes a lot of people seemed to miss that Dredd left most decisions about the case to Anderson, at least until poo poo really hits the fan. Which is cool, since he obviously needs to assess her ability to make decisions in the field as well as her ability to shoot people in the face.

Like half the articles on this movie describe it as Dredd being given the assignment to wipe out slo-mo when actually Anderson chose the triple murder from the cases on her bike computer.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are the Dreed comics any good? I'm thinking of reading them.

Yes. Read the rest of this thread, there's a lot of recommendations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tofes posted:

What was the significance of the "hot shot" at the beginning of the film? Just to show the audience how his gun works?

Yeah I think so. But in the comic a hotshot is a heat seeker, not a flare, so I'm a bit unclear on that too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Alex Garland has said that since they started trying to get the money together for Dredd right after Avatar, they pretty much had to make it in 3D or they wouldn't have been able to get it made.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Considering we ourselves are not really clear on what the drug does, and Dredd just learned about it when he was in the apartment building, I think it's safe to say he wouldn't know for sure what it would do either.

Dredd knew about it beforehand, he recognises a burn from a slo-mo inhaler on one of the skinned corpses at the start. But yeah he gave her slo-mo to give her a nasty death, not to keep her alive. It just slows down your perception of the world, it doesn't actually slow down your body.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Riflen posted:

I'm extremely pleased that was not shown. It would add absolutely nothing to the film.

Plus this is Dredd we are talking about. Patch up the exit wound, but the little entrance wound can probably wait until he's finished his shift.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There was 'supernatural bullshit' in the movie too, with Anderson's psychic powers. But over 30+ years the comics have dealt with all kinds of different tones and subjects, I'd recommend you read America for some quality Dredd being a bastard without much wacky stuff.

And the movie lawgiver has two different ammo clips- regular rounds in the front ammo clip thing you see them reloading in the movie, and special rounds in the handle, though a shot of Dredd reloading the special rounds didn't make it into the film. If that makes any sense, I know I'm probably using the wrong gun terms. And they do show the special rounds being pretty limited, Dredd only uses two hi-ex rounds iirc.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

No that makes sense and that's how I imagined the gun to work. I understand bullets in the mag, special rounds in the front area. However, what doesn't make sense to me are armor piercing rounds. You can't convert regular bullets to armor piercing on the fly, you'd have to change out a magazine. This issue is entirely miniscule but fascinating to me as a gun owner, so I'm not trying to get into a big argument or debate, just theorizing how it would work.

Well Dredd does run out of armour piercing, and the corrupt Judge only shoots about 4 or 5 of them. So still limited numbers of them, in the secondary magazine, but you can see why they would have more armour piercing in a clip than hi-ex or incendiary.

There was a behind the scenes video where they showed the lawgiver prop, but I can't find it. They showed reloading both magazines. It's basically a normal looking real pistol with an extra magazine added to the front, the real magazine is the one they don't show them changing in the movie.

I think in the comic, bullets are given the appropriate head for whatever round type is selected inside the gun just before firing. So it's fancy future technology. Like some kind of micro bullet factory.

On the subject of Judge equipment, those helmets must be made of some strong stuff, since when Dredd shoots the corrupt Judge in the face with the same hi-ex round that took out a wall, his helmet was mangled but still mainly intact. I guess shooting in the face must have shielded Dredd from the explosion as well, containing it inside the helmet.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

No one fears the judges in Dredd, so I don't see him as a figure of terror.

The woman saved by Dredd at the start is terrified of him. She can hardly get the words out when she says "Thank you Judge."

Neurosis posted:

Just saw it. Gotta add to the sentiments here. I loved it. I thought it was internally fairly consistent and carried the themes and satire pretty well while also being extremely viscerally enjoyable. Except for Dredd passing Anderson. Not something I thought he'd do, although there may be an in-universe rationalisation explaining how that could be in the letter of the law.

The point is that even Dredd has to pick and choose. It's not actually possible to completely obey the letter of the law all the time, especially with limited resources. He doesn't shoot those kids, he passes Anderson because he thinks she has what it takes to be a Judge, despite what the letter of the law says.

Remember the Chief Judge has already overlooked Anderson's sub par test scores and her status as a mutant because she thinks her psychic powers are useful. In theory Anderson shouldn't even be allowed to live within the city walls, let alone be a Judge.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Black Bones posted:

Sure, they fear Ma-Ma more than anyone else, because they live in her territory. And while the captains are certainly hardened gangsters, most soldiers are not portrayed as "any nut with a gun", but as nervous and desperate men quite aware of what they're going up against (especially as the film progresses). Anderson's big scene with the wife of one of her kills hints that for many in the block the game isn't just for gold, guns and girls; but rather basic employment (ie: survival).

The gang was freaked out about the Judges, I felt it was obvious they'd never shut down the building before - otherwise the computer-kid would have already been in control of everything. they certainly had planned for the occasion, but it's a mistake to assume that Ma-Ma's precuations (the railguns, having a line out to corrupt cops, the bomb) are underestimations of what Judges can do. She was afraid of Dredd, that's why she trapped him and his rookie in the first place, it was her best option to take care of them!

Agree with all this. Ma-Ma does have that line about Kay, that if they are bringing him in, he'll talk.

She knows that if the Judges start taking an active interest in her affairs, she's finished.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I always really liked that Judge Death has a pterodactyl instead of an eagle.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you ever wondered where that pterodactyl came from, you really need to read Judgement on Gotham. It settles once and for all the question of whether Judge Death is a brony.

I've read it, but it took me a moment to remember that bit haha.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't understand why Dredd didn't just stun her or shoot her legs off.

edit: sorry for the triple post, can a mod plz delete this?

Because the sentence for her crimes was death.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Self-defense. He was facing a small army of armed criminals who were out to kill him and who were killing innocents in the process.

There was no self defence when he burns all those guys. They had no idea where he was- he kills them because they were guilty of attempted murder of a judge for shooting up the phone box they thought he was in. And then he hangs around to watch them burn for just long enough to be uncomfortable.

The movie does not endorse the Judge system.

Baron Bifford posted:

What was Dredd supposed to do? The perp had a hostage, yet Dredd couldn't let him walk. The perp deserved a death sentence for his crimes, but Dredd was willing to commute it to life in the cubes in exchange for the hostage's life. When the perp rejected the offer, Dredd took a gamble and killed the perp, saving the hostage in the process. We've seen this scene in lots of other movies - why is Dredd the rear end in a top hat on this occasion?

Notice in this scene the citizen is clearly terrified of Dredd.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baron Bifford, do you think the Judge system is a good idea?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There was a good post earlier in this thread replying to someone who thought the satire was too subtle. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something about the scene where Dredd tortures a black drug offender in front of an American flag.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

That one line was very true to the comics. It's a case where he screws over a little guy by being inflexible and harsh. And characters in the film actually confront him about his extremeness. Although the Stallone film mishandled the issue, it at least tried to address it. In this new film, Dredd just shoots up gangsters and behaves like a common movie action hero. There are not enough moments of him making dickheaded judgements.

The whole point of Dredd is that he isn't extreme by big meg standards- he's a good judge. He's not a loose cannon renegade- he's a by-the-book stickler for the rules. I hated that other Judges called him out for being too harsh in the Stallone film.

And this movie doesn't address Dredd screwing over the little guy with his inflexibility? What about the homeless man? What about the wife and child of the wounded man he insists Anderson execute? What about him wanting to lock away the Ma-Ma clan's tech guy?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Also, gonna have to echo the sentiment that the soundtrack absolutely owns.

I probably prefer Drokk to the actual soundtrack, but both are amazing. (Drokk was originally going to be the movie soundtrack, but they went in a different direction. So now Drokk is the soundtrack to an imaginary 1980s Dredd movie).

Edit- http://drokk.bandcamp.com/ in case anyone missed when it was posted earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are you arguing that the movie doesn't portray Mega City One as a fascist police state because it's pretty similar to modern day America?

• Locked thread