Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just watched Dredd for the first time last night and was pretty blown away by how great it was. Like, on every level I loved what was going on in this movie. Even the big sweeping CGI shots of the Mega City were pretty drat good looking and I would have assume that kind of thing would be the weak point of a movie with this kind of budget. But I really loved the fact that it actually had characters that I cared about. Urban was amazing obviously, but the rookie Anderson really made me like her and root for her in a way I wasn't expecting. And the villain(Lena Headley? I think it may have been her) was great too, she was somehow understated and over the top at the same time. And it goes without saying that the action was loving awesome. One of the best 2 or 3 movies I've seen in the past 12 months.

I haven't read most of this thread but I guess this is the type of post that comes in pretty regularly here. This is a movie that most people just wrote off and assumed would be crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I know it sticks out a lot in the minds of Dredd fans, but I don't think everyone else's memory is that long. Batman and Robin wasn't the kiss of death for Batman.

I really do see it as a kiss of death because the only way people could stomach more Batman was to totally reboot everything, which Nolan did and of course compared to what came before everyone loved it. When you have to shut down an ongoing franchise for a decade and reboot it completely thats pretty much my definition of the kiss of death, at least for Batman. Batman and Superman will always get more chances no matter how bad they gently caress up.

And Batman and Robin did define Batman for a lot of people for those years. Nobody talked about the first movie anymore, it was all nipple and ice skating jokes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I wish I had the talent to make such a thing or even just the money to get someone to do it. :smith:

I've never done cosplay, but I'm pretty sure if I tried I'd spend months working on it and end up with something that looked like a cheap Halloween costume, not something that looks ripped right from the movie like that Judge outfit. It really is a talent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

Checked it out last night, was very dissapointed. Felt like it could have been any action movie with no need for Dredd to be in it. MegaCity One looked, I dunno, just like a bigger LA with big stupid tower blocks. And there was no satire. No dark humour. And Gorgo Lannister was loving dreadful.

Karl Urban did the best he could though. I was really pleased that he had the stones not to remove the helmet at all.

No dark humour? I couldn't disagree more. I also thought MegaCity One looked loving awesome, especially for the budget.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I seriously can't think of a single joke beyond the Chinese guy getting squashed by the door.

There aren't a lot of jokes in the movie I guess, just darkly humorous situations. When I think of dark humor in movies I don't think jokes. There aren't a lot of "jokes" in Cohen brothers movies either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

This is the Dredd thread!

I assume he means theres one in the comics forum too. But as far as I know the comic doesn't really have jokes either. Its satire but you have to be able to intepret that to find it funny I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Can't really argue with that, but what that scene really makes you ask is how the situation could have happened in the first place. What kind of city is MC1 that criminal gangs have the balls to openly fight lawmen? It's like the slums of Rio or the bad parts of Colombia.

See, my point is that the movie drops a lot of hints like this that MC1 is a hosed-up place, but it doesn't focus on the flaws in order to mock them. There are fascist/dystopic overtones but it's not fiercely political and mocking like Dr Strangelove or Team America: World Police, which are the movies that I think of when somebody says "political satire".

I'm not saying that there is no point to the dystopia. This movie features a gang of drug-dealers who are powerful and bold enough to openly attack lawmen. Such a thing is unthinkable in present-day New York, which is today one of the safest big cities in America. You are better off using a setting where such an incident makes sense. You could set in a dangerous foreign city like Jakarta (see The Raid), or you could set it in a dystopian future America. I think Garland found that MC1 was a good setting for this Die Hard knockoff script he was working on.

I dunno man, I'm not usually one to pile on but the more you post the more it seems like you just don't understand satire. Team America: World Police is what you think of when somebody says political satire? It gets a whoooole lot more subtle than that, so if thats your measuring stick I assume you're probably missing a lot of satire in a lot of different movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

The Dredd comics are not at all subtle with their satire; they hit you over the head with it.

I mean in general. All satire isn't Team America, sometimes the satirical elements are in other places besides dialogue and obvious gags. You keep saying that in Dredd they allude to all these things but never focus on them, but thats the whole idea. The movie is very much enjoyable from a action thrillride perspective, you don't HAVE to pay that much attention to the satire if you don't want to, but its obviously there if you chose to look. Thats what makes it good to a lot of people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PerfectTommy posted:

Bad guys throw a guy off a balcony, murdering him.

Good guy throws a guy off a balcony, enforcing the law.

Subtle.

I think its subtle enough(its not like these two scenes are back to back) that if you don't want to pay attention to it you don't have to. I mean we're comparing it to Team America here, its all relative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Dredd doesn't wear a cape and he actually hates superheroes (see the crossover with Batman), but he's still a very outlandish character. He's not just a cop, he's judge, jury and executioner. His partner is a telepath. His firearm packs the firepower of a modern day platoon. He's got guns built into his patrol bike.

All the things you describe are true of all Judges in Dredds world. They are an extension of the state's will, they perform the function of cops but to the extreme because Dredd's world is an extreme one. The whole point of superheroes is that they work outside the system, and the themes in most of those movies is what conficts would come up as a result. Judges are a primary part of the system itself, they are the cops.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 4, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In your opinion, does the film as a whole absolve Anderson? Or is it just that her motives started out cleaner?

I think the morality of her actions is actually a lot more interesting than those of Dredd himself (in fact, I think his most important function in the film is to condemn her to the audience by approving of her to the head Judge), which is where most of the fun of the movie is for me. Condemning fascists is easy. Condemning liberal complicity in fascism even while it wrings its hands and talks about doing the right thing is a lot ballsier.

I feel like the differences between Anderson's motives and Dredd's are the main point of her being in the movie. She seems to have been thrown into this career without fully grasping how hosed up the system is that she is participating in, and obviously she learns some hard lessons during the movie. But she truly does want to help people, and make MC1 a better place. Thats a lot different from Dredd who values justice above all else, nevermind that his sense of justice is incredibly warped. It changes how I judge her actions because in a lot of ways she's really only guilty of ignorance, whereas Dredd knows full well what a "drug bust" in MC1 entails and what he will do(and presumably had done many times)to exact justice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So what do you make of the scene where she tortures a perp (and incidentally, reveals in the process that she has a more sadistic and cruelly imaginative mind than a violent criminal?)

That question is not even a little bit rhetorical, by the way. A scene where a white woman is threatened with (imaginary/symbolic!) sexual violence from a black man and then violates him instead is so densely loaded I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I just saw her as someone who got in over her head, and was using every dirty trick she could to survive. I couldn't give the same benefit of the doubt to Dredd obviously, he does this poo poo every day. But they really don't go into Anderson's back story a whole lot outside of the psychic thing. I had forgotten that she actually does try to hand in her badge at the end, she obviously wasn't happy with what she had to do and had changed in a way that she didn't like. Still not sure if she is really at fault though, especially compared to Dredd.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 5, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry. I meant that more in the sense that the gangsters were objectively bad as an organization, not as individuals and how I perceived the movie vs. reality . The movie went out of it's way to show you that those people were pretty much forced into their situations through intimidation or having amazing hair, so there is a ton of grey (black?) area in the way Judges operate, but in regards to the basic story I think Dredd and Anderson are still the heroes and Ma-Ma is the villain. Can anyone honesty tell me they weren't rooting for Dredd and Anderson at any point in the film?

I think its made clear in scene after scene that there is no "organization" to judge objectively, its just a group of people that are in this gang for their own specific reasons, and not all of them are there by choice. So yea, there will be people in it that are objectively bad people, but then you also have robot-eyes guy and the guy doing it to protect his wife and kid. Its just a lovely, lovely situation; there really is no "right" thing to do when you're Dredd and you're in that situation, the time to effect a more positive outcome was long before he showed up at Peach Trees. The system is totally hosed, thats the point, and Judges are a direct extension of that system. So to answer your question, yes about halfway through the movie it became clear that there was nobobdy to truly root for because nobody in it is 100% in the right. I was rooting for Anderson to survive because she has a likeable quality and was the rookie and all that, thats about it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 6, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Dredd says twelve serious crimes a minute, seventeen thousand a day. The USA figures were for all crimes not just serious ones.

I think he says violent actually. 17,000 violent crimes per day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Satire, to me, does involve some level of humor- just negatively commenting on something isn't satirical. Dredd is a relatively serious portrayal of a hosed-up society.

I think you just don't really enjoy dark humor, because its all over Dredd. The corpse zamboni, the homeless guy getting squashed, Dredd chucking that guy off the balcony to send a message, Dredd running out of ammo and using an explosive round to vaporize a guys head. The list goes on and on, this stuff is played straight for the most part, but thats the point. Thats why its darkly humorous, you chuckle to yourself because its ridiculous but its also really hosed up. Hence, satire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shanty posted:

Nothing substantial?! This is a depiction of a future in which the police are given the right to perform on the spot executions. The core concept is satirical. Add to that the "enhanced interrogation" and drone surveillance themes and jesus christ, Biff.

No man, the core concept is just a backdrop. Its just a backdrop and its never examined or explored at all, nope. Just an "excuse for crazy action sequences".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Here's another article that illuminates Garland's intentions. It suggests that he deliberately wrote Dredd as a straight, non-humorous movie because that interpretation had the most meaning for him. He first got into Dredd when he was 10 years old, too young to understand the satire.

There's this other interview and this one too where he says the satire in Dredd is at best implicit.

I think you're yet again not understanding how satire works and are also misinterpreting what Garland is saying in these interviews. For the satire in Dredd to work it HAS to be played straight, thats the point. Garland is fully aware of the satirical nature of the original comics, but he is saying that in order to recreate that feel he had to think like a 10-year old who thought Dredd was the biggest baddass. Theres a dichotomy there that is important, and I can see why he would want to go at it from that perspective. But he absolutely was aware of the original tone of the comics and was shooting for exactly that, he just knows that the way to do it isn't obvious, laugh out loud jokes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

It's really funny that you present an article as evidence that your reading of the movie is the most correct one, and the quote you choose from the article to support your claim starts with "I mean, it’s subjective, right?"

Well he apparently didn't even read it because when a quote was pointed out that contradicts him, he just said "oh, well ,guess that settles it." Good for him I guess for not just cherrypicking specific quotes that fit his argument.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

As I read it he finally admits that there actually is real satire in the movie, since now that the director has said so it is definitely true. It's just not the kind he wanted, whatever that means.

Oh yea good for Bifford for admitting that. I'm just pointing out that he is admitting it because of a quote from an article HE posted, which he must not have read all the way through. Funny poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

He became awesome in Be Cool.

I thought he was pretty awesome right out of the gate in The Rundown. A criminally underrated movie in my opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

At least he seems to be taking Arnold's advice to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF435dxn-44

I honestly think this is what makes The Rock endearing and ten times more likeable than other muscle-bound Hulk Hogan types. Every single acting job he's ever had he seems to be having a hell of a good time, and I think that was a big part of his success in the wrestling business too. His character was over the top, but in a really fun way and he was always very very self-aware. He just seems like a pretty cool dude in general I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's no way that Fox show with Urban has a chance because it look expensive as hell. Its not like Continuum where you only need like one minute of future scenes per episode. Fringe almost died early because of the big budget, I just think its a mistake because very few shows are instant hits in a way that will justify that kind of budget.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Successful scifi shows often have built-in ways to mitigate the costs of showing scifi concepts on screen AND decent to well-written characters WITH GOOD CHEMISTY. Stargate SG-1 and X-Files, which are the two longest running scifi shows ever, both suffer from tromping through the same forests outside of vancouver for 10 seasons, but it isn't a big deal because the quality of the stories and characters makes up for it.

All of that said, Almost Human reminds me of my favorite scifi cop show Total Recall 2070, in that it has an almost identical premise. I can't wait.

BSG is the one I think of right away. You knew sci-fi poo poo was going on all around them but every set was just a dark grim room/corridor. It worked because it fit with the tone the show was going for, and like you said the characters and the writing were good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it appears that Netflix has the right philosphy with these originals. They know if they cheap-out now while its still in the beginning stages then people will write them off and not give future projects a chance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I've been watching Almost Human, its got Karl Urban as the lead in it. The last couple two episodes have had some Dredd-isms in it. But I really want them to just dump any misguided hopes they have of this not being Dredd and just go "gently caress it, lets make Dredd the TV show." and drop the whole CSI-ish poo poo that plagues these kind of shows.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/563480#i0,p0,d0

I just watched the third episode of this show and it involved Dredd, I mean Urban, ascending a tall building controlled by gunmen with his rookie partner and without backup.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Well, the episode was based off of Die Hard, but I could see some Dredd in it too.

Yea not quite the same because Dredd was more like The Raid where he's going in to enemy territory and gets trapped. This was more Die Hard because terrorists came in and took hostages.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Karl Urban is the celebrity I'd most want to have a beer with I think. I've never seen him come off as anything other than 100% genuine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

You'd be drinking tequila according to him, actually. I just saw him in Seattle last weekend for Emerald City Comic Con and he seemed really enthused about a Dredd sequel, and also hopeful that Almost Human would get renewed. He's charming as hell and I have a serious boner for him.

Goddamnit, I'm too much of a pussy to hang out with Karl Urban I guess, I'd puke all over him.

Has he ever spoken about his experience on Doom? I wonder what his thoughts are on that movie since I think he might actually give an honest answer unlike most actors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As much as the Stallone movie has held people back from giving Dredd a chance, if you do succeed in getting someone to sit down and watch it the comparison does nothing but work in Dredd's favor. Their expectations are so, so low and after 15 minutes when they realize this is a slick, incredibly well shot action movie that even has something to say, they usually are very pleased that they've found this hidden gem.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress every time this thread pops up on the front page I'm hoping its sequel news.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Except Michael Jai White is a badass and has charisma... Katee Sackhoff just happened to exactly fit the character she played in BSG. Everything else I've seen her in, she's been... mediocre.

She's good in Riddick but its pretty much the Starbuck character.

She probably goes the furthest outside her comfort zone in 24 where she's actually a pretty hateable character.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

21st Cherry boy posted:

They took it off Netflix btw :smith:

That's why its one of my most valued Blu Rays! Not even joking in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

Even John Wick is getting a sequel, did it really do that much better than Dredd? Nothing against Wick, it was great too.

The Keanu factor was the decider on that one. I don't know the numbers but John Wick was in every Red Box and at the counter of every grocery store and all that. It had a lot more exposure.

• Locked thread