Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Remove Dredd's helmet and this is a generic action movie. That's really not a good thing. :(

Yeah but capturing the the acidic satirical natural of the series would be much more challenging than going the interesting setting for a action movie route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

I honestly cannot believe some people got genuine enjoyment from the Stallone Judge Dredd film. That poo poo was loving terrible.

It's a guilty pleasure sort of film.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

If we're talking guilty pleasure Stallone films, Demolition Man at least has something going for it. The Judge Dredd movie with him in it is a piece of poo poo.

And Judge Dredd doesn't have the mystery of the three seashells.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gooble Rampling posted:

I later regretted it, but I remember convincing a friend to go see the '95 Dredd purely based on some behind-the-scenes piece I saw that showed the creation of the ABC Warrior. I just thought it was so cool that they built a big "actual" robot and not a stop motion model. I would like to see that production footage but I can't seem to find it in a youtube search.

Yeah the sets and practical effects were really neat but it was a hilarious poo poo movie overall that missed the interesting parts of the source material.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

This looks great, Dredd looks just like the early Mike Mcmahon B/W strips. people saying the city looks sparse need to look again, at first glance it looks like some skyscrapers with sort of shanty town/slums sprawling around them but if you look closer you'll see the 'small buildings' are regular cityblock sized towers and the 'large buildings' are colossal megacity "bloks". As CG future cities go it's fairly nice and it communicates 'bleak' more succinctly than some wondrous multi-tiered neon dream-scape.

It's more present day slums taken to massive size scale while the comics went with a more cyber-punk futuristic feel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Starship Troopers was a really hilarious film, even now I'm still not sure what to make of it.

At least I got a good laugh looking at the US team's uniform design this year for the summer Olympics since it made me think of the wonderful film.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Despite the size thing the only reason I'm giving any fucks about the new movie - and am following it - is Karl Urban. I'm glad to see that guy's career do well; the first movie I ever saw him in was Doom and the whole sequence with The Rock I was thinking "Man, these guys needed a very different script." I got the vibe he was a far better actor than anyone else in the film by a mile.

And was pretty neat as the energizer bunny assassin in the Bourne movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flatscan posted:

They don't get shot, they get 20 years in the cubes. For all that he has the power, Dredd doesn't really go in for summary executions.

Yeah the black humor nature of the character and how he applies appropriate punishment was one of the more amusing aspects of the character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Talkie Toaster posted:

Just seen it, and is it supposed to take place in a version of the 'regular' Dredd universe or an alternate one? It has a really different vibe to it, far more postapocalyptic, and I'm wondering what the backstory is- for example, why the blocks now seem to be build as giant air-raid shelters rather than just eighties high-rises taken to grotesque extremes.

It's more a modern take on the Dredd in terms of visual design with the slums taking inspiration from real-world places in Brazil and obviously South Africa instead of going for the more cyberpunk grandiose design.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Becomes? The Judge system has always been pretty fascist. That's the joke.

Yup it's taking people's demand for the police to get even more tough on crime to its logical satirical conclusion.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, Meg One is basically Thatcherite fear-mongering about a nanny state taken literally. Sugar is illegal, there's like 95% unemployment due to robots doing all the work, and almost everyone lives entirely on welfare and sits around either zoned out watching future-TV or is out causing trouble mostly out of boredom.

The Cursed Earth, on the other hand, is basically corporate libertopia, all the way down to fast food companies running their own societies. It's one of the few places on earth worse to live in than the Mega-cities.

Oh, and people realizing how horrible their life is and going on a violent killing spree is so common that they're called futzies, short for "Future Shock Syndrome." This last one is basically actually like real-life America now.

And the Block Wars is also pretty much the ultimate US gun nut fantasy of being able to deal with their annoying neighbors using their small weapon collection.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

The very essence of Judge Dredd is that he is a pro-police power fantasy. That's basically an exact description of the character. He's future dystopia Dirty Harry in a helmet and gimp suitand without all the waffling and moralizing about consequences and the law afterwards.

And doesn't have to deal with the standard vigilante/cop scene of the police chief chewing him out for being too extreme and not following the correct judicial process since the judge/officer/executor roles are merged.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

2) Aside from the drugged-out Slo-Mo scenes, very little of this needed to be in 3D, even though it was obviously intended to be seen that way. But drat, those Slo-Mo scenes were pretty.

The Slo-Mo was my favorite original FX shot for this year, was really awesome such as creative horrible death scene for the 3 poor gangsters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

I hate to say it, but I really think Urban should get an Oscar, because he turned the world's biggest loving joke of a movie character around and loving sold it. His dialogue was great.

"Yeah."

And a fun fact from the movie as part of staying true to the character Urban kept the iconic helmet on during the whole day of shooting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

I thought they did do an ARG type thing, though?

I could've sworn I saw a Drudge Report re-skin called "The Dredd Report", complete with Mega City retools of then-current news stories.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. http://www.dreddreport.com/

Judge Ke$ha Says She Had Sex With A Ghost…

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff and it's really awesome how much of the movie was practical effects. Dredd's gun was real and designed around a basic 9mm, Dredd's motorbike was real and designed around a 500cc, Mega City One is just real-world shots of Johannesburg with some digital painting over them, people getting shot during the Slow-Mo scenes were blown with giant blasts of compressed air to give them that look like they'd just gotten hit by something high-impact, etc.

I know some review(s) said this Blu-Ray was barebones but I don't feel like that at all. The special features on here are pretty interesting. Plus the video quality and audio quality loving blew me away and I felt like I was back watching this in the theater again while watching the Blu-Ray. I don't feel ripped off at all.

For anyone on the fence about buying it, buy it.

Yeah even short clips are on how to do practical effects or the set design are really fascinating to me.

Was really neat seeing how they did a majority of the stunning slow mo scenes using mainly practical effects and lots of time intensive trial-error with their special high frame rate cameras.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BulletRiddled posted:

"The mall food court will re-open in thirty minutes" is the best line of dialog from all of 2012.

I watched this again last night (my first Blu-Ray), and it's every bit as good as I remember it being in theatres. It could have easily slipped into being a mindless shooting gallery with its setting and premise, but every setpeice is just so distinct and memorable. I really think this one will still hold up 10 or 20 years from now.

And then seeing them load up the bodies on the meat wagon and mop up all the blood like it's perfectly normal.

After watching it again it really does capture the black humor and satirical elements of the original very well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bandamyion posted:

In a slum block with 96% unemployment, the only Med-Center in the block, run by the Justice Department (the State) has a sign above the door reading "No Creds No Meds".

How is that not funny? Dredd's subtle satire at work :)

Its an amazing film and I love it! Took it's time but there it is. More please :)

Or the homeless guy with the "Will debase for credits" begging sign.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This ended up being one of my favorite movies of the year, despite its commercial failure, and I was excited to learn more about the design and production of the actual film. Joke's on me! Maybe that poo poo will show up on youtube...

Despite being really short features was nice seeing how the did all the practical effects and also the overall visual design for the movie.

Pretty amazing how a majority of the slow-mo scenes were done using practical effects such as blasting the stunt men with compressed air during the gruesome room storming scene to simulate the shock wave and bullet impacts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

I am a bit disappointed that we probably won't be seeing a sequel, because I was actually liking Anderson more than Dredd the second time around, and wanted to see more of that character.

Dredd's not designed to be a likable character in any sort of way while Anderson serves as a more vulnerable, inexperienced contrast character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

When Dredd came out a lot of people compared it unfavourably to The Raid, but to be honest I actually preferred it. The Raid took a big nose dive in quality in the second part, Dredd kept its quality throughout.

In fairness, Britons lapped up American big screen neo-fascists as well. Dredd is probably meant as much of a parody of (British) Conservatism as anything else, although cold-war US propaganda, cop movies and the like are the key narrative influences. He's certainly not a sympathetic hero, even if his actions are justifiable at a practical or political level.

It's a shame that the film didn't really show either extreme of the original comics, the comical subcultures of Megacity One against the complex morality of the Judges. But it was certainly a loyal representation of Dredd on show.

There's a neat feature on the DVD that went over the origins and inspirations for the character.

A good amount of the humor was mocking both excesses of loud almost alien elements of american culture seen through the lens of british humor such as the obsessive american gun culture and also satirizing right wing fascist elements in the UK such as Thatcher.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

^^^ Case Files 5 is a good place to start, that or CF3.

It didn't need to satirize Thatcher. Everything in Mega-City One is an American thing cranked up to 11. Many Americans are fat; the Mega-City has people so fat they need support wheels to keep their stomachs off the ground and wear trays of snacks around their necks 24/7. American gun owners like their well regulated militias, so every block has its own Citizens Defence unit to constantly prepare for war - primarily by attacking other blocks that they suspect of planning a preparation exercise against them.

Most of all, though, the comic parodies the American right wing's paradoxical joint love of strong laws and freedom from government interference. In the Mega-City everything is legal right up to the point where it isn't. You can keep a laser cannon on your balcony or a man eating alien in your kitchen so long as you have the appropriate license, and on several occasions enterprising perps have managed to evade prosecution because there wasn't yet a law against what they did. (Of course, so many things are against the law that the Judges get them for something else then close the loophole.)

And the satire has aged well since in the US the same problems are still here from obesity problems, militarizing police force and the very loud gun nuts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, it almost reminded of Hobo With A Shotgun and other grindhouse movies like it in that it's a combination of really dirty and grimy, and then all of a sudden super colorful.

I love that style.

Yeah it's a similar visual design like how drab places like the Megablock or Mall look contrasted with all the bright cheery advertising signs. Or the contrasts between the high tech medical clinic in the buildings and the run down nature of the apartments.

Another neat things I didn't notice before is how during Ma Ma fall it revisits all the setpiece showdowns on the floors such as the mini gun carnage floor and the booth trap.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

My two favorite character moments was when Dredd emerges from the smoke just to nonchalantly toss Ma Ma's right hand man over the rail and also when he makes he speech about how he's the law not in the mega-block not Ma Ma despite not being a position of strength.

And really sells despite not having classic super hero abilities is still is terrifying to the opposition due to his fierce reputation, level of experience, high tech weapons and also fanatical pursuit despite the odds of lawbreakers.

Urban should win a Oscar for the new best, most intense frowning category.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Also the gas they used looked like yellow mustard gas which I'm sure was deliberate.

It's another reference to the comics since the Judges use a nastier version of tear gas called Sturmm gas which may or may not have horrible side effects on the perps such as 1/250 death chance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sylink posted:

I didn't even realize until just now Cersei Lannister is the villain.

And this time around she gets the defenestration treatment.

:ironicat:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

People have mentioned Dredd's use of the incendiary attack as an example of his brutality, but that occasion is better viewed as a combat manoeuvre, not a proper execution (even though the penalty for attacking a Judge is death). Dredd was on a battlefied; the thugs weren't disarmed and cuffed, waiting to be judged at leisure. He was outnumbered and they were closing in on him, so he used a decoy to lure them out into the open and cluster them around one spot, then flank them and hit them with an area-of-effect attack. The standard execution Judges use is a bullet to the head, which is quick and painless, but is only done on a prisoner who has been disarmed and captured.

And he was also running low on ammunition for regular rounds so it was a very clever ambush to save supplies and also take out even more heavily armed perps with a area effect weapon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I really appreciated all the gruesome practical effects even more after the Blu ray second viewing, really reminded me of the stellar gruesome works from many memorable 80s movies such as The Thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

marktheando posted:

The lack of robots, and the lack of futuristic guns and vehicles, is pretty understandable given the low budget. And it doesn't mean those things don't exist in this world, since we just see really poor areas anyway.

Yeah a good amount of the look was driven by the somewhat low movie budget requiring to do things such as adapting a modern city fill in for a Mega city.

I suppose the cheesy Stallone Dredd movie was in many ways much closer to the look of the comics and the wider range of colors.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

I really don't want to have to watch the old one to check this, but I think you're right. Besides budget concerns, I think they really tried to distance themselves from the old film by having a completely new and more realistic aesthetic for Megacity One. I think it works pretty well though. This film is astonishingly colourful and amazingly well shot - the Slo-Mo scenes in particular are like comic book art.

You can watch it on Youtube if you enjoy cheesy movies, if anything it serves as a amusing contrast the newer better executed movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

massive spider posted:

The thing that stands out most to me about 95 dredd is the theme, which its totally badass but totally ill suited to the movie. It really seems like everyone involved thought they were kickstarting an epic sci fi franchise.

And also amusing from a theme point of view since a bombasic heroic theme really doesn't really capture why Dredd is so different than the standard superhero setup.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elentor posted:

Maybe the others were so much worse (:cry:). To me what was so bad about the first Dredd movie was the tone. It had that 90's cheesy humor for kids that was unbearable, scattered all over the film. Stallone himself was a good Dredd, in my opinion at least.

Another small plus is it had foxy Joan Chen in a minor henchman role.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The most important thing to remember about Dredd is that he believes fully in the Law and believes that it is the only thing from causing Mega City 1 from turning into complete chaos.

Yeah in the comics he does question the whole system as part of the Democracy storyline but eventually arrives to the conclusion that it makes sense given the violent, chaotic, dangerous nature of the world.

Living in a world with block wars, ravenous crocodile aliens and mutant zombie outbreaks doesn't leave much room for a democratic system.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, but he also said he didn't want to do another Dredd movie himself. Which makes me lose most of my interest.

Drokk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I may also go for a helmet, but I'll probably end up more seriously bidding on something smaller like a belt.

The belt looks pretty boss.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

echoplex posted:

This isn't true!

Yeah it usually means a lack of interest, for example all the awesome practical sets for BSG got bulldozed after the final season.

twistedmentat posted:

This is exactly the issues with the 95 Dredd movie, it looks great, but the story is very undredd. It's like the production designers and set dressers poured over the comics and tried to be as faithful, but the writers were like "Okay, he's a future cop that shoots criminals, there's a bad guy named rico in a story and they're clones" and that was about it. The funny thing is they could have done a Dark judges story and that would have been just as big, and would have been more Dredd.

Yeah due to the bigger budget the Stallone version was more a carbon copy of the colorful, massive scale visual style from comic books but missed out on the rules/compelling themes from the sources material unlike Dredd 3D.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Speaking of the auction items, Collider is having a (:911: only) contest to win some Credits from the movie. Just have to email them:
http://collider.com/dredd-prop-giveaway-mega-city-one-credits

edit-

VVVVV Woops, sorry. Edited my post.

*Will Debase self for credits*

I like these signs too:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...=item2ec58ce92c

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They might not make a sequel, but the fact they are selling off stuff doesn't matter either way. Look at how many different movies the Starship Troopers armor shows up in, after they were sold and and parted off.

Yeah it was hilarious recognizing the same sets and infantry body armor in the Firefly movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snak posted:

I didn't see them used in Serenity, but they were used in the episode "The Train Job"

They re-used slightly modified body armor and also the starship sets from Starship Troopers for the Alliance scenes in order to save money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DocHorror posted:

The long walk is their reward for a lifetime of service.

AKA a clever solution to avoid exploding pension costs over time.

• Locked thread