Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I would certainly expect to see anything with the word unlimited in the plan disappear.

It'll just go back to unlimited*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Wind Mobile started up in the last 2 weeks of 2009, Public Mobile March 2010 and Mobilicity May 2010. Koodoo I think has been more competitive since then as well. Together they may not be a majority of the market, but I would expect ARPU to have gone down a bit since then.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Speaking of why go with anything else, I've got a nexus 4. Currently on Wind, but going to soon end up in a situation where I'll be roaming basically 100% of the time away from Wind zones. I mostly care about data and use very few minutes. A bit of texting but under 200/mo. Going to freeze my Holiday Miracle plan and jump on another carrier. Need to make the switch by the end of September. Anything from the back to school plans worth getting or wait it out a bit?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Wind used to let you pay $30 to suspend your account for up to 6 months, but I can't seem to find anything about this on their site anymore (only max 7 days). Did this go away? I'm moving out of the GTA for a while but want to keep my Holiday Miracle plan, if I can.

In a related question, what does the Koodo kiosk agent have to do to put you on a SK/MB outside of those areas? Found one that also wants it for himself but doesn't know how. The $55 promo plans looks pretty hard to beat.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
^ This is what I'm on right now. Switched from Wind's 40 dollar holiday miracle plan for it and it's a good trade. It's nice to have signal outside of the city, and LTE is awesome.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Wireless carriers quietly hike prices over weekend

Without any fanfare, Canada’s big three wireless carriers hiked the base prices for new plans by $5 in most markets over the weekend. Rogers, Telus and Bell Mobility now all charge $80 per month for new smartphone plans with a new contract, $5 more than those same plans cost when they were introduced last year. The prices for other smartphone plans with more data cost upwards of $145. The price hikes affect every province except Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Link

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is there any word on when the new Moto G is coming up here? Are there going to be different big3/AWS versions again?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Moving my mom off Wind too since she's been complaining about it a lot and looking for a new plan for her. <200 minutes and 500MB data should be fine. Looks like the going rate for that is $45 less any BYOD discount. There are promos at Speakout and Petrocan but they're timed limited and expire after a few months. Prefer to go no contract, and looking to pick up a moto G on tab or get a used moto X (2013) and BYOD it. Any other promos or plans I should know about? I really hate Bell and Rogers.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
When porting a number, does the name on the two accounts need to match? What if it's from a family plan?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

They needed the account number in my case for sure. I had te IMEI/SIM from my Telus line but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. Which makes sense I guess, that you have some kind of information identifying that you're somehow involved in the actual contract to begin with.

The port (Wind -> Koodo) went great, and took maybe 5 minutes. Koodo wanted the account number, pin and imei. It also let you set the name on the account you're pulling from so everything matched. Just waiting for the final bill from Wind now.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I had Wind for 3 years in Burlington and barely got signal at work, and I sat at a window. Everywhere else (home, travelling, etc) was fine. About a year ago I switched to The MB/SK plan when I started travelling cross-country and it's been awesome. My plan didn't get set up for BYOD before I ported my number over (make sure you get the discount before porting) so I've got a $140 positive balance now. I'm taking off to Europe for most of the year and it's not worth paying $50x n months just to keep the plan. Koodo's idea of freezing an account is to pay them $15/mo for the privilege, then you have to choose from an in-market plan, so going to port to Petro for the long expiry and to have a few minutes and texts to use when I come back for a bit. Hopefully there'll be a decent in-market plan from someone when I get back, but that wouldn't be very :canada:, would it?:.

What's the best way to use up this tab balance? Can I go to a Koodo kiosk, tell them I want a Nexus 5 partially paid for with a positive tab balance and walk out with it? If they force a plan change on me (because of the MB/SK plan), the number is just getting ported out (and therefore, plan killed) the next day anyway.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is it actually possible to buy a phone outright anymore? I have a $150 positive tab balance and I want to do something with it before cancelling my plan at the end of the week. I tried to buy a Nexus 5 at Best Buy but the guy wouldn't sell anything outright, only put it on a tab and I would have to cancel in 2 months. Is a corporate store going to tell me the same thing? It's a bit of a drive so I don't want to go for nothing.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
It's been fairly popular to get a Koodo plan with a number in MB or SK, then port in your ON number while keeping the same, cheap, plan. There's been rumblings for a that they would kick people off those plans with out of market numbers, but I hadn't heard of it actually happening. As long as you don't try to do anything that involves an agent, you should be fine. I used a positive tab balance to buy a phone through Koodo's online portal and kept my plan fine after that.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Speaking of exploiting the SK/MB plans...

I've asked before in this thread, and also did some research on Howards Forum. The Howards Forum thread is a bit of a nightmare, and from what I can tell is people NOT from SK/MB trying to exploit the plans (no problem with that, IMO).

I'm already in SK, however.

I'm with Telus, and from what I can tell, they're totally going to catch my SK plan when I try to change my number to a BC number. The online tool won't let me select anything out of province and I have to call them. I know the Telus system, I used to work for them. There's no working around it, the system will force a rate plan change when the number change is initiated.

Koodo has an even cheaper plan, and I know they're technically Telus so porting and phone compatibility isn't an issue.

Will the Koodo self-service system allow me to change my number to another province without triggering a rate plan change? Or do I have to go to a kiosk when I'm back in BC and hope the attendant has no scruples?

I suppose I could just keep my SK number, I have unlimited national calling, but it's going to look rather odd when I'm applying for jobs in BC with a Saskatchewan number. Also, my friends aren't as lucky to have national calling, so I don't want them calling long distance to reach me.

I ported in an Ontario number over a Winnipeg one completely online with Koodo without any problems.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

It turns out Canada can't have Skype numbers because they don't let you call 911 even if their only real purpose is inbound calling :mad:

Is there any other scheme I can run to keep a number from one area code as a forward when I move to another town? My current number is in a tonne of services and I don't want to try rolling it over after it's been unassigned.

I use voip.ms for this.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Right, primarily they're a SIP provider. When I started to travel extensively, I ported in my old cell number to them for $10 and did 2 things. One, set up the SIP client built into the Android dialer so I can dial out and receive calls on that number, and two, set up a ring group for when someone calls that number it both tries to reach me over SIP and also rings me on my Google voice number. Whichever I pick up first, gets the call. Incoming and forwarded calls are billed at ~1 cent/minute and outgoing calls are billed at about 0.5 cents/minute, and I pay about $1/mo for the DID (phone number). If you expect to have a lot of minutes (>1000/mo), you can go flat rate for incoming for ~$5/mo.

If all you care about is being able to receive calls on your old number, all you would need to do is port your number to them and set up a ring group to ring your new number and forward the call. You only need to set something up on your phone if you care about making outgoing calls from that number (or what their cheap long distance rates).

There are likely other options, but this is what works for me.

edit: I don't follow the roaming argument. Why does it matter where an incoming call is from?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Ah, I get it now. voip.ms does actually support SMS as well, which is free at least for the foreseeable future, but it's kind of cumbersome because SMS doesn't really map that well onto SIMPLE, the SIP messaging protocol. I wouldn't use it unless you don't have another choice.

What you could do, and its getting convoluted, is keep your current plan as is, get a new VoIP number in Toronto, set up Rogers to forward to that VoIP number and receive those calls over SIP on your phone.

Another option, which is probably the least hassle, is get yourself on a Canada wide plan for voice, like the 55 dollar MB/SK plan on Koodo and just keep using your phone as is.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Monsieur N posted:

How is kodoo ? I know they use the telus network so it should be fine where I am. They are offering a pretty decent plan(unlimited Canada wide calling and 1gb of data for 35$) and I'm thinking of switching.

Koodo is Telus, just cheaper.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
If he's going to buy it outright, may as well not get it from Telus since 1) he'll have to pay $50 to get it unlocked, 2) they only sell the 1GB RAM model. Spend the extra $50 and get the unlocked 2GB.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
A coworker sent me his order confirmation for a 128GB 6s last night. $1309.67. He bought a 128GB 6 last year.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Bell and Telus share towers. I don't think they share with Rogers.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I use voip.ms for this, and ported my old 289 number to it. There's an app to get SMS working as well. Originally I used the built-in SIP client, but since switched to CSIPSimple because the built-in would keep losing registration but not tell me.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

experienceBeej posted:

I changed my cell phone plan recently. I gave up a ~$75.00 Fido plan (450 minutes, Unlm Ev/Wknd, Unlm Text, 6 GB data) for a flex tablet data-only plan that starts at $15.00/month for 1 GB and grows to $40/mo for 5 GB.

Before cancelling, I ported my number over to voip.ms, paid the one-time setup fee, and I'm using a VOIP app on my iPhone to send and receive calls.

I have two friends who have been doing this for about a year and haven't reported any major problems. My wife started it a few months ago and she's been having great luck with it.

Upsides:
- cheap plan, especially since I never call anyone, and rarely receive calls. When I expect to have a long call, I can use Skype or Facetime, and I'm generally on Wifi when that happens.

Downsides:
- SMS suuuucks. voip.ms can send and receive texts, but you receive them through your e-mail or through a web portal. Fortunately, anyone I text either uses iMessage, Slack, LINE, or Twitter, so I just message them that way and ask them to stop messaging me at my phone number (iMessage can also use e-mail addresses to identify you).
- the DID porting and setup is a little more involved. After initial setup, it's not that big a deal.
- calls are per-minute ($0.009/minute - yep, 9/10ths of a cent - so it's not really a downside)
- VOIP service is pre-paid, so I have to pay into the service ahead of time
- no subsidized phones. Which I don't really care about anymore. Because my old plan was $5/mo under their arbitrary limit, Fido screwed me out of a bigger subsidy when I upgrade to my iPhone 6S.

Neutral:
- you can get a voicemail account, and messages are e-mailed to you. I think the last time I got voicemail was about six months ago, so I don't really care about this.

So far, I really like it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It might be worthwhile for some of you who don't get a lot of phone calls and mostly use your pocket computer to do internet stuff and check Slack all day.

This is exactly my setup as well. The other major upside for me is it decouples the phone number from the carrier plan from the number I give out people. I travel a lot and usually get local SIM cards, but everyone can always reach me at the same number. I've never had any problems hearing the other side, but people occasionally complain about call quality, and that it sometimes doesn't ring (but it rings for me and I pick up).

There is a voip.ms SMS app on the Play store that's good enough for my (infrequent) SMS needs. Note that it does go through someone's GCE account for push notifications. voip.ms's SMS seems to work much better than Twilio at 2FA messages.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

slidebite posted:

I am a cheap plebe on a Public Mobile plan. I know they have US Roaming now, but I'm going to be in Panama next month for a week and would like some sort of cell for just in case.

Doesn't look like Public offers any other roaming add-ons yet. Anyone know if just buying a cheapo prepaid SIM in Panama, maybe right in the airport, is a possibility?

This wiki has been my go-to source for picking out SIM cards while traveling.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Nofeed posted:

Help Canadian Cellular thread!

I come to you with hat in hand looking for some advice. I’m moving to Europe for work for a duration of 10 months (Yea, in the middle of COVID) I called Rogers to suspend my account, and the fuckers want $12.75 a month for the privilege of letting me keep my number when I get back. Oh wait, except that the absolute pieces of poo poo will only extend this generous service to me for a maximum of 6 months.

I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience before, and what strategy they took to keep their number after an extended trip overseas. I’m thinking there’s probably some gambit I could play by porting my number to some random low-cost provider?

I eagerly await the transmission of your combined wisdom!

When I did something similar, I ported my cell number to voip.ms, installed a softphone (I use Zoiper) on my cell phone, and carried on calling/texting with my Canadian number through that. Incoming calls ring through to the softphone, so other people won't even notice you're not there locally. It runs on whatever data network/wifi you'll have.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
This is the wiki I used to find local prepaid SIMs while traveling, and covers Canada as well. The page notes which carriers take foreign cards.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Most likely traffic pumping or similar.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Public mobile has 50GB for $35/month when on a 90-day plan, which in practice ends up as pooled 150GB/90 days. Plan is at 5G speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I use voip.ms for this. $0.85/mo for a DID (phone number) that I rotate whenever I feel like, $0.009 per minute of voice, $0.0075/SMS. Prices USD since that's what they use, but regardless it's still cheap. I use Groundwire as the SIP app, but you can forward calls and texts to another number (or email, for texts. Replies work from email as well).