Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Brekelefuw posted:

Koodo doesn't seem to have any good phones though.

Buy an unlocked phone somewhere, which is what you said you always do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
You guys, Bell is so rad.
They released the official CTV Olympics app, so you can watch the games on your phone or tablet! Maybe on your sweet new JellyBean-running phone on that sweet sweet Bell 4G LTE network!

Bell Media Inc posted:

• Video cannot be played over a mobile network connection (3/4G, LTE), but an advertisement will still play.
• Video is not available on Android 4.1 JellyBean

:haw:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Lexicon posted:

edit: I'm honestly amazed the network functions at all.

My buddy had a 1 year contract job @ Rogers. For the entire duration of this contract they couldn't seem to get the phone working at his desk. This was the norm for many employees there, in their head office.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

They'll probably let you out of your contract early!

...but that means that evry other carrier (except the new guys) are about to implement the same charge. So where will you go, Xanthine? Where will you go?

If Koodo stops unlimited world-wide texting I'm gonna... do nothing because there's nowhere else to go :(

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

VERTiG0 posted:

Would a Moto G from Telus work with Rogers after unlocking?

I just unlocked a Moto X today in the opposite direction, yes.

Unless you've got a cheaper way, I recommend this guy: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121376879949

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ColonelMoutard posted:

fyi, looks like petro canada has a decent 3g plan available for $30.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/396.aspx

good enough for most people and android + wifi + voip provider is easy enough to provide additional minutes

The highest data plan # on there is 500mb?
edit: Wait you meant 3g signal not 3gb data haha, a girl can dream....

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 4, 2014

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

slidebite posted:

Also, since it is a smartphone what happens if it tries to use data? Can I disable all cell data process on an old 2.x android easily enough and just leave basic phone/texting intact?

If you don't turn mobile data on in settings this will never be an issue...?
You can lock it out completely by messing with the APN settings but seriously it's an on/off switch. Just note that you can't send or receive MMS texts (picture texts) without data.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

PS. Love the cabin posted:

lol

This is on Bell's front page:

I can watch one whole video!

Koodo's 2nd cheapest plan is also 300/300, but country-wide calling and unlimited worldwide text/MMS.
And oh yeah it's $40.

Bell how... how... why? :what:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

(1AUD = .95CAD), but cost of loving is also more expensive.

:pervert:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

rexelation posted:

Anybody heard of Zoomer Wireless? They have a double everything promo right now so for $40.50 you get 500 Canada-wide minutes and 1GB data. Some Googling suggest they were own by CityFone which is now own by Rogers. Their website suggest they use the Roger's 3G/LTE network. Will I have to deal with Roger's customer service rep? I'm currently with Fido and my contract ends in 2 days. This looks almost too good to be true.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/smartphone-and-blackberry-plans/

I'd suggest calling and asking them some questions, as both Zoomer Media and CARP are orgs for seniors, and the phone plans are intended for them. As per the legal stuff at the bottom, the plans come with a CARP membership and you have to be at least 55 years old to get one of those.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

BGrifter posted:

I'm going to be heading to the states for a week soon and was wondering what my best option is for a small amount of minutes/text messaging/maybe 250mb of data? I'm currently on Koodo but I'm leery about using any sort of roaming addon after hearing horror stories for years about people with thousand dollar cell phone bills. Any suggestions/tips/warnings?

I use Koodo's USA add-ons multiple times a year with no trouble at all and am willing to vouch for it (never bothered with data though).

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 6, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Also turn auto download off for MMS.

BGrifter posted:

Do I have to go in and cancel the add-on when I get back or is it just a one time thing? Also I'm an iOS guy but I'm usually pretty good about keeping track of my data usage, thanks for the tip.

It just ends after 10 days, no further attention needed.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Acer Pilot posted:

I'm interested in that too. It's cheaper than what my office is offering me.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/individual-plans/

Do I actually need to be a senior citizen though?

Go back one page in this thread.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
The 5 - 10 minutes of voice calls I use each month will definitely benefit from being in HD

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
That's really up to the person who sells it to you...

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

BGrifter posted:

I've reached my breaking point with my folks hanging on to their crummy old flipphones. What's the best option to get a couples plan in BC with a pair of subsidized 16gb iPhone 5s? They won't need much data at all, cheaper is better. Not in Vancouver so Wind is out.

Would just getting them newer flip phones be an option? Older people with Too Much Phone is a whole new set of problems for you and them.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Mederlock posted:

So I've been with Tekus for five years and currently have 3 GB's, the my fave 5 thing, 15 mins long distance, voicemail+CID, and 250 mins+early evenings and weekends calls, as well as Text+sms for like 67$ a month(got some decent concessions from the loyalty dept. Over the years). What would be the best way to retain a similar plan and get up to 6 GB's? I'm one of the people who got released from my contract by the CRTC ruling, but I'm kind of new to the loyalty dept. Stuff (my mother did it before, she's good at that poo poo)

The only way you could get even close to 6gb at that price would be to do the Saskatchewan/Manitoba Koodo plan workaround.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark One posted:

The prices Koodo lists for US roaming look like extortion. Is there any other way to get coverage without popping out the SIM for an American one?

Welcome to the world of roaming charges. Yes they are always extortion, that's the point.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Dillbag posted:

Wind has US-wide unlimited text and data roaming with 2400 minutes talk for $15 a month. Too bad their coverage is so lovely in Canada.

This means that Wind's coverage is officially better in the US than here. That's even more hosed up than that other company charging a base rate for literally nothing.

Canadian Cellular: It's Kafkaesque!™

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Dillbag posted:

Isn't Koodo a Telus subsidiary and as such uses their network?

They are and they do and their signal & coverage is impeccable. And they're still a discount carrier compared to others.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Subsidizing phones is not something I understand the appeal of in this market, it's never made sense to me. :shrug:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Grumpwagon posted:

Hi. I'm sure this has been addressed, but I scanned the OP and the last few pages and couldn't find it.

It's in the OP faq. The answer is "lol you wish".

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ottawa is still a thing that exists.

"We're almost at Montreal, keep driving"

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Monsieur N posted:

They are offering a pretty decent plan(unlimited Canada wide calling and 1gb of data for 35$)

Koodo is great, where is this plan available?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Koodo is Telus and they use the bell network which is pretty much perfect.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Koodo has the preorder page up for that phone already, with a straight no tab retail price and everything....?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Or pay like $5 on eBay for an unlock code if you ever want to leave koodo

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

slidebite posted:

So.... here is my dilemma: Should I send them payment for the unlock code AGAIN? They did give me a code after all (which I presume cost them something to provide), but i had to babysit this, videoing my attempt and even asked them outright if I needed to add codes before and after the unlock number to which they said no they weren't needed.

I am not familiar with the cell system, but is it possible if they try to reverse the transaction the phone will not work sometime in the future? Or if it's unlocked now it will be going forward?

No, don't pay them. The phone can't be relocked that way. They hosed up, you fixed it, it's over.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

slidebite posted:

I'd like just a fill-up of whatever minutes which would preferably expire no earlier than a year and allow calls to Canada.

Might be worth it to ask in the US cell plan thread.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Koodo's version is for both old and new customers (Fido too, looks like?) and I'm only seeing unlimited minutes in some but not all provinces.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I switched plans shortly after you posted about it, and now that people are getting home from the workday the Koodo site is so rammed that friends I told can't even log in fully.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ColonelMoutard posted:

Will an iphone locked to telus work on Koodo?

Also, is there a reliable place to get an iphone unlocked cheaper than the 50$ telus wants?

edit: poo poo that was answered a few posts up. I'm still somewhat wary though...

If you're worried about it, go to a kiosk and get it set up there, so you can cancel everything before getting stuck in some SIMless mire. But there shouldn't be a problem.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

JoelJoel posted:

How does one go about lying and getting a good (sask) plan with an Ontario number?

Google - "howardforums Manitoba plan 2015"

It's only Manitoba now, Sask is out.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

P-Value Hack posted:

Im seriously looking at Wind because of their $35/m plan, plus the windtab. Don't really care about unlimited calling, but do like the unlimited texting and 5GB per month deal they have on now (plus the no-fee cap thing if you go over).

Find as many people as you can that have Wind in your area and ask them what the coverage is really like. Because Wind tends to be garbage and you could end up not getting any signal inside buildings or anywhere near your home or work. Sometimes it's fine, but don't expect it to be.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

vivisecting posted:

3)
Google voice????

Google voice is US only and if you want to use it you need an American friend to set you up using an American phone # that has no voice account already attached to it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

triplexpac posted:

Is there a better deal for Telus out there right now? Or with a new company, if I port over?

Koodo has a 4 gb plan for $75 on sale right now, or 5 gb for $45 if you do the Manitoba plan thing.

( http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

Is this a thing that actually works? Like, I can have my current Alberta phone number on a Manitoba plan?

There are people posting in that thread who've done it today.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Don't fear buying an unlock code.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

EconOutlines posted:

I'm traveling to Montreal next week for 5-6 days. Can anyone recommend a sim I can pop in my iPhone mainly for data?

Like it says in the OP about this - lol nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
If there was an affordable data SIM option you could get easily, they would be constantly sold out from residents before tourists could get any.