Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
The Ace 2 X isn't a bad phone. Lowest specs of the 3, yes, but I'm assuming this guy's dad is not a giant techno-nerd like the rest of you guys. Given his needs, which sound similar to most middle aged men I deal with, he'd be totally fine with an Ace 2 X. We have very few issues with those phones so far given the large volume of them that we sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

They'll probably say there's no collusion. Carriers compete with each other on numerous other variables besides price, so they aren't afraid to increase prices. One carrier can raise their prices and be perfectly content that the others will do the same, because hey, "our carrier is the best right? We've got the best network, best devices, best customer service, so who wouldn't want to be with us! We can raise our prices to match the others, because we don't need to be cheaper to be better!"

Again, I'm not justifying this practice or saying it makes sense to a customer in any way. This is just roughly how carriers think. Also, Koodo and Fido announced price increases last week. I was on vacation and didn't know about what the plans were going to change to, but as soon as I read that I knew the carriers were going to declare open season on prices after that

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

To be fair, OilSlick may have meant that carriers would claim that they compete on other factors. They clearly don't, in actuality. As you say, there's nothing really left to compete on.

Yes, factors include:

- network strength (the big one)

- unique services (Bell Mobile TV, etc)

- bundle discounts

- exclusive phones (becoming less common these days, but our bosses will mention it sometimes)

- great customer service (I know, this is bullshit, but any carrier executive is going to say they offer great customer service. It's like how parents will always praise their children regardless of what a moron they are)

- faith in their sales reps to sell you on value, not price (again, bullshit, but that's what they believe)

Network strength really is a big deal to carriers. Maybe not where you guys live, but in Nova Scotia, Rogers is easy as hell to sell against. Their network is spotty anywhere outside (or inside half the time) of Halifax. People leaving them seriously supply at least half of my monthly sales quota. Eastlink is our equivalent to WIND in Atlantic Canada, and my bosses rarely ever bring them up when discussing competitive information. Why? Their network is just that bad. I can say with experience that network strength is legitimately a major issue for a lot of customers.

But as I said, this is just how these people think. Is it a flimsy defense against accusations of collusion? Yes. But that is what they will probably go with.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I guess you work in sales? Do customers actually give a crap about that bundled mobile TV bullshit or whatever? I wouldn't have thought so.

Not overly. Mobile TV was somewhat popular during the Olympics, and having phones bundled with other services is nice too I suppose. That's about it though. The Big 3 are probably roughly equivalent in major Canadian cities, but those guys still have WIND and Mobilicity to worry about. Despite this, I never hear anything about them when reading about competitive info (Our memo system often encompasses all of Canada), leading me to believe that the Big 3 probably don't take those guys too seriously right now because their network just isn't big enough to be a threat.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Nuntius posted:

Hoe salty

This is pretty much the best autocorrect of "honestly" ever.

I don't know much about Koodo so I can't really be of much help. I just wanted to point that out.

They'll probably make you change your plan, but the Moto G is pretty cheap, so it's possible you won't need to/they'd change you to one that's the same price anyway. Most of the new scary plan change poo poo really only applies to expensive phones. As for using them in the UK it would depend on their frequency. The UK uses towers that were traditionally GSM while Koodo did not. Again, probably okay, but I'm not sure what the exact frequency settings for UK carriers are.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Anyone on Bell planning to upgrade soon (yeah, I know) do so before April 1st. Upgrade prices are low but are rising to normal pricing as of April 1st

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Godinster posted:

Clearly banking on a big April with S5 [and to a lesser extent I guess, M8] launch if prices are going up.

I was told it was because it's the end of the quarter.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the idea of keeping prices competitive was to beat the other guy on value for dollar; not leapfrog each other in a race to be the worst.

Nope, like I said in an earlier post, they find ways to compete beyond pricing. They may be bullshit reasons, but that's how they think. I went to a head office meeting last month where they pretty much reinforced that reasoning. Basically they showed how all 3 carriers were the same price, but one had more features/towers than the other, so why not go with the one who has the most? In fact, is that not worth a couple more dollars?

Again, I know this doesn't line up with how normal consumers think, but that's how their logic works.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

That is very odd indeed. Phones don't just end up in a store's inventory like that. They would come directly from a manufacturer. The odds of a used phone somehow slipping its way into a store like that are so insanely high that your brother is lucky a loving rattlesnake didn't jump out of the box and bite him in the face when he opened it.

Does he still have his paperwork? If so, does the paperwork actually document the device type and the discount given off the device, and does the IMEI match? If so, that is insanely odd, because if your paperwork shows the IMEI of the device and then mentions the discount you were given, that means that it truly was a part of Wind's inventory as their activation system must have recognized what it was in order to know how much to subsidize it. Is the IMEI listed on his actual receipt?

Also, are they looking at the IMEI that is stored in the settings of the phone itself? (i.e, not the printed one on the box)

Can Bell tell you what store it originated from?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Actually, Gunslinger, if you want, you can PM me the IMEI of the device. I can confirm if it is indeed listed as lost/stolen, and I may be able to determine what store it came from (only if it came from an actual Bell corporate store. If I don't find it, it may have come from Futureshop or Walmart or something)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I'll check into it tomorrow, but I can confirm that phones are indeed sent from a central source; we've sometimes received devices locked to Telus. That said, I've never heard of anyone getting USED ones shipped to them. Typically mistakes like that are communicated to stores and the stores ship the phones back. Also, the clear plastic sticker that "sealed" the box is not a good indicator of fresh packaging. Blackberry boxes often come with spare stickers for resealing. The altered BBM is also a huge red flag, as BBM is unique to your device.

Definitely mention it to the CCTS, and has he spoken to the manager of the Wind store yet? Because the fact that there is altered BBM info on the phone pretty much proves, blacklist or no, that the phone was used. They sold you a used phone with someone's info on it, that should be enough. The fact that it is blacklisted is even worse. That Wind store sold you the phone under the pretext that is was not used/blacklisted, so they need to fix that. Even if Wind didn't know they had received a stolen phone, it's not like you can just call their loving distribution center to complain. Wind is the only one who can do that. Don't bother speaking to anyone but a manager in this case.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Let me run this scenario past you guys:

- I have a company provided iPhone 4S that is giving me some trouble. We're with Telus.
- I would like to upgrade to a Nokia Lumia 625 which is apparently $200 with no term as listed on their website.
- I'm pretty sure my company could swing an upgrade, but I don't want to get my company involved since I'd like to keep this phone if I ever leave. My goal is just to get a Telus locked phone for now and use it with the SIM card that is in my iPhone.

So my question:

If Telus is offering the phone for $200 with no term, does that mean that they are not subsidizing it in any way? If so, do we know if Telus will sell a phone outright without signing up for a new plan, even one with no term?

If not, what is the feasibility of signing up for some crap plan with no term to get the phone at full price, then cancelling it immediately?

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I don't really want to use, and the Telus trade-in value appears to be about $70 according to their calculator. How does this figure into the above, if at all?

Sorry if this is a mess of a question. I really should be asking a Telus rep, and I will once I have time to meander to a Telus store, unless you guys know for sure.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this is a very simple transaction.

Assuming you have authority on your work account with Telus, you walk into a store and ask to buy the Nokia phone outright. As hard as it is to believe, you are actually allowed to do this. You are a Telus customer and have an account for them to activate it on, so there should be no trouble here. You sure as hell do not need to activate a whole extra line to do this. How do you suppose people who break their phones a week after buying them get new ones?

You can also use your Galaxy S3 for trade in value if you like. If they said it's worth $70, they'll apply $70 (before taxes) as a payment to your purchase in store. That should be no problem, assuming the store participates in the trade in program (not sure if Best Buy or whatever does. Any actual Telus store should)

The only requirement is to get your company to allow you to have authority to switch phones on your work account if you don't already. This transaction will have no impact on your company's account in any way, and I'm assuming you are paying for this phone fully with your own money, so there's no reason why your company wouldn't let you keep the Nokia phone, since it will technically be your property.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

WARNING: Rogers has just increased their no contract bring-your-own-device unlimited plan from $40 to $50. If you want an entry to mid-level device with Rogers, there are literally no savings by purchasing the device outright. Purchasing a high end device outright will save some money on your plan but not recoup the savings of getting a contract discount within two years. This is the second time they've raised the price on this plan this year, and the second $10 bump in a major plan within a couple months. This hasn't happened for the other carriers yet, but given their idea of competing, there's a good chance it will happen with them too.

gently caress this industry scares me sometimes.

If you are planning to sign up with any of the other two major carriers for a month to month plan, do it now before they increase the price too.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

It is now required with Bell (and probably only a matter of time for others if not already) that all high end smartphones (iPhones, Galaxy S, etc) REQUIRE data. So unless you have a retention deal or are already sharing data with someone else, a standalone iPhone will be at least $80 a month. And they are also going to require data for certain bring-your-own device plans, but it's not until July and we are trying to fight them on it since there are many logical reasons why that doesn't make sense.

I need to get the gently caress out of this line of work. This industry has seriously lost its mind

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

reflex posted:

I currently have a Rogers-locked iPhone 4S. The contract is up in November. Once my contract is up, I plan to hop to Koodo with this 4S. It has a cracked screen and the volume buttons no longer work. At some point it is going to need to be replaced/repaired.

Would it be easier to replace the phone before or after I get set up at Koodo? i.e. Would Rogers unlock a brand new 4S if I get it repaired before hopping? If I bring my broken phone to Apple after hopping, will they give me back a Rogers-locked phone I'll have to pony up another $50 to unlock?

Rogers will unlock your phone as long as you've had it for more than 90 days after the contract was originally signed, or immediately if you didn't sign one. You didn't sign a contract to get that new phone, so you should be fine.

I'm not sure how Apple handles the repairs of unlocked phones, but if you've already switched to Koodo at that point, I can't see them relocking it to Rogers since you've already paid Rogers everything you owe them.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Mantle posted:

I have first hand experience with this situation. Absolutely DO NOT repair your iPhone before getting it unlocked. I cracked the screen on my Rogers locked iPhone 4 and had it replaced with a new Rogers locked phone from Apple. I then planned a trip overseas and wanted to pay Rogers $50 to unlock my phone. They refused to do it because the IMEI on my replacement phone did not match the IMEI on the phone they issued me. I quote, "your phone's IMEI is not in our database so it's not a Rogers phone so we can't unlock it".

Well, it is locked to Rogers so it is defacto a Rogers locked phone, you loving thieves.

I even had all the paper trail showing my replacement process with Apple AND the IMEIs of both devices. Still flat out refusal.

That's hosed. There must be something you can do, perhaps the CCTS. Basically that would mean that no one who had their phone replaced by Apple could ever have it unlocked. I can't believe I haven't encountered that situation yet.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Anyone ported out of Rogers recently? Is it still necessary to go through that song and dance of "notifying" them 30 days ahead of time, so you can get the CCTS onside when they inevitably try to bill you for a month of service beyond the port date?

(I'm on an old contract - signed in 2012 if that matters. I'll have an ETF to pay, which is fine - I just don't want to pay for service they can't deliver)

If you are not a part of the WCOC regulation that went into effect last year, then they'll still make you do 30 days. If you change your rate plan (or have done so within the past several months), that should make you a part of the WCOC regulations. You could try switching your plan to anything and then cancel, but make sure they don't re-sign you into a contract if you do that (they probably won't. I don't think they can. But I don't work for them, so who knows)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

eXXon posted:

Smaller carriers can offer gimmicks like unlimited usage for literally everything you do with your phone, but what about the tangible experience of choosing a more expensive and limited rate plan that's right for you?

It's like I've been saying: Carriers literally believe that they offer great service and are generally the best. Hence the "justification" for their pricing structure. It's no less insane, but there it is.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Do all carriers force you to get one of their new-style plans if you upgrade your phone through them? I heard recently that Rogers still lets you carry over your old plan, but Bell and Telus don't.

According to MobileSyrup, that ended like yesterday or something. Rogers allowed you to keep your plan as long as it was at least $60 per month before taxes, but not anymore. I think you can get retentions to keep your plan for one last upgrade, but that's it.

Aphrodite posted:

Those screens are on 24/7 though aren't they?

Yes, they run an annoying demo loop that has a mind of its own. That said, I've yet to see a single S5 with that problem, so hopefully it's a rare occurrence.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

less than three posted:

Can we update the thread title, please. :getin:

Alternatively:

This is because it is included on pretty much every plan. It's only $8 if you are on a grandfathered plan that doesn't already include it and you would buy it if you didn't want to switch your whole plan just to get free call display.

I'd change the thread title, but I have no idea how.

Also is locking iPhones really that uncommon? Don't they do it in the U.S too? I mean, not that it makes it okay or anything, but I figured there are far more insane/archaic practices in Canada than that.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I just ported away from Rogers (before end of contract) and received my final bill. It shows a device subsidy charge as well as a final-gently caress-you called a "Service Deactivation Fee" of $12.50, which is a new one to me.

Holy poo poo, I never knew about that one. Checking Google shows that this fee applies to anyone who isn't in Manitoba or Quebec (presumably due to stricter mobility laws) and is charged whenever you cancel your service before your contract is up. So yeah, they're actually creating an extra fee to break a contract. Wow.

Anyhow, this appears to be a part of Rogers official terms and conditions, making the fee legally "legitimate" in the eyes of Rogers, which would mean that protesting it would be about as fruitful as protesting your regular cancellation fees. So I really doubt you'd get anywhere with it. Maybe the CCTS might help since people have had luck getting out of having to pay for the 30 day cancellation notice.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 21, 2014

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Godinster posted:

If you're ever in Thunder Bay for any amount of time, get your address set to Thunder Bay and get their plan on Bell. Otherwise you'll need an $80 plan minimum for 500 megs of data.

I think you may need to have your phone number set to a Thunder Bay area number. I don't think the address has anything to do with it as when an employee changes your address there is no opportunity to modify your plan at the same time, so it never requires a change. However, when changing someone's phone number, it occasionally will force the employee to change your plan. That said, if you can change your phone number that plan definitely looks worth it.

As for the HSPA thing, it probably says that because that's the minimum type of network it runs. LTE isn't everywhere, but a SIM card phone will still run on HSPA if LTE is not available. It's not really saying your phone does not run LTE, it's saying that your phone is not CDMA, just in case you didn't know that (some people don't know the difference)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Godinster posted:

Their "fall promotions" will be $50 discounts on phones, almost never including the iPhone which I gather will be an issue given your avatar. The most you'll see is around a $5/month discount and likely only if you're a student.

Uh, I hope this doesn't affect the crazy Koodo plan deal, but pretty much every contract iPhone dropped by $130 today.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Godinster posted:

As mentioned, no they don't. This was strictly laid out in the new wireless laws. He's either a jackass or doesn't know any better.

Those new rules are not retroactive. Customers who haven't changed their plans/renewed contract/ended contract since before last November are still subject to the old rules. If so, 30 days notice is still required unless you take the CCTS route.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Bell's is also $50. And don't ask the Source questions about stuff. They're merely a dealer for Bell products and probably wouldn't know much about anything beyond basic product knowledge.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I don't think that there's anything preventing you from buying one of those phones as "prepaid", that way you are creating an account. Just say you don't want to buy any funds for it just yet.

Not sure about unlocking, but there you go.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Shoota_McG posted:

She said that Rogers loyalty would just tell them no - which is plausible.

With Bell loyalty offers usually don't come into effect now until 6 months or less of service. You mentioned you had an iPhone 5, so I'm guessing you probably weren't that far into your contract yet.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

reflex posted:

Fair enough. Are you suggesting I port before my contract is up or on that day?

Do the port on the day of or after your contract end date. You will no longer be required to give 30 days notice once you are out of contract.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

grack posted:

At which time Rogers, the scumbags that they are, will probably still and try to bill you for an extra month anyways.

Nope. CRTC outlawed that one as long as you are part of the new legislation. You become a part of that legislation as soon as you are out of contract.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

PS. Love the cabin posted:

My bill always says "PAY BY THE 25TH OR ELSE!" but the new cycle starts on the 5th.
I suppose I have another few weeks to decide on what to do.

I'm most worried about the koodo man yelling at me for cheating and making me feel bad.

The Koodo man has sales targets to meet. It won't be too hard to find someone to do that for you. Dealers like Best Buy have are a lot less likely to care.

Also, Lexicon is correct. Most cell phone salesmen are crippling alcoholics who can't wait to drown their feelings of emptiness in a tidal wave of liquor.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

triplexpac posted:

My contract is up in a couple months. I'm currently with Telus on a 4s, so I'd like to get an iPhone 6.

Am I basically going to be stuck with paying for a regular, lovely plan? Or are there any tips I should know that I can get a slightly better deal?

Not expecting much, this is Canada after all. Just thought I'd check.

You can call retentions, but expect to still be paying more. Maybe $10 less than the normal rate.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Probably way too early, but anyone know yet if our lovely Canadian carriers will be getting the Nexus 6 for contracts? No way in hell I'm buying a $700+ phone unsubsidized.

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure we will. Are they not selling those from Google for like $400 this time around?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Coolwhoami posted:

If the old cancellation bills for Bell are that much, wouldn't it make more sense for most people to do a hardware upgrade asap to their cheapest phone, then immediately cancel that contract by buying the phone out under wireless code rules? Is this a thing someone can do?

Any carrier can do that, but if your cancellation fee is that high, then your upgrade fee must be fairly high also. An early upgrade fee + $15 activation fee + $99 (the cheapest phone you can upgrade to) should make it about the same as cancelling early. I wouldn't bother with it.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Well, there's no rule against it, so enjoy your flip phone I guess.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I did a port for someone that was initiated by an over the phone sales rep. He entered his own name into the customer information field for the port request. It worked fine.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

reflex posted:

Is it even worth fighting with them or should I queue up the CCTS?

You were not required to give 30 days notice to cancel. Rogers won't bill you for past your cancellation date. It is a major part of the Wireless Code of Conduct that came into effect last year.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Scudworth posted:

Koodo's 2nd cheapest plan is also 300/300, but country-wide calling and unlimited worldwide text/MMS.
And oh yeah it's $40.

Bell how... how... why? :what:

It wasn't Bell's idea, it was Telus. Bell (and probably Rogers) matched it.

The primary purpose of that plan is that it allows you to get full subsidy on an iPhone, rather than spending $80 a month. It's targeted towards old people who want an iPhone but don't plan on using it much, or for kids when parents don't want to spend as much.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is it possible to select no voice at all? 3GB of data for $45 wouldn't be that bad.

I've done that for customers before. It's basically a tablet plan of up to $40 for 5GB that I program onto a SIM card and slap it in a phone. If your rep is knowledgeable enough they may do it for you, since it is considered a new activation sale and in the best interest of the sales rep to do it, assuming they know that there's technically no rule against it.

That said, it does mean that you'd pay for every minute used, (probably 50 cents) and every text sent or received (25 cents in or out), so it's probably not a good idea. You also do not get any subsidy off a phone to do that.

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone know how much of the monthly bill in a standard two-year contract actually goes towards paying off the phone? I mean, the big three all claim to be giving you a $485 subsidy on the various flavours of the iPhones 6, but how much are they paying for them wholesale?

They do indeed pay the whole retail price to obtain the iPhone they are selling you, which is why they are so stingy about them.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Paccione posted:

I'm getting my son a cell phone for Christmas. Is there anyway I can get Google Voice in Canada and just get him a $40/month 5GB data plan? Or something similar to Google voice?

As I stated earlier, you could just get a data plan for a bring-your-own tablet and pop that in to a cell phone to get $40 for up to 5GB of data. Can people without Fongo text him? If not, he'd be unable to receive or send texts since there are no other free calling features

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

spoof posted:

Is it actually possible to buy a phone outright anymore? I have a $150 positive tab balance and I want to do something with it before cancelling my plan at the end of the week. I tried to buy a Nexus 5 at Best Buy but the guy wouldn't sell anything outright, only put it on a tab and I would have to cancel in 2 months. Is a corporate store going to tell me the same thing? It's a bit of a drive so I don't want to go for nothing.

It's always possible to buy a phone outright, what do you suppose people who lose their phone the day after they bought it do? That said, third party dealers like Best Buy, Wireless Wave, etc. will only do upgrades or activations. Actual carrier stores will do it.

I've known some reps to simply lie about not being able to sell a phone outright because they want to save the phone for a more valuable sale like a hardware upgrade or activation (outright purchases are worthless to the carrier), but that's pretty much only when a phone is extremely new and in limited quantities, so it doesn't happen much.