Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Quill posted:

Holy poo poo. This never ends, does it?

Matt McMuscles (a Youtuber who used to be part of Best Friends Play) does a series called 'What Happened?' where he tries to explain the behind-the-scenes stuff that led to famous gaming and movie disasters.

He had to do a 'What Keeps Happening?' For Fallout 76, because it somehow keeps finding new ways to be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Not exactly glitchy, but glitch-adjacent: John Bois, famous for Breaking Madden and a couple other 'gently caress with sports games' features, has been doing an occasional video series doing the same with more recent sports games.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUXSZMIiUfFTvJYfAo9qWil6GcS18OSz1

The first one is revisiting one of his famous features (slowly filling the NBA with the worst players possible), and while it's relatively glitchless (aside from some hair that CAN'T be correctly generated), it's still a good breakdown. Including the game outright rebelling against his attempt to ruin it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Jan 15, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Frostbite caused a lot of EA a lot of problems. Upper management mandated that every single game be pivoted to it, probably because they owned DICE so they didn't have to pay any licensing. Problem is that Frostbite is basically awful at everything that isn't exactly the kind of shooter DICE makes, so most of the resulting games have been hit-and-miss at best.

It's a big contributing factor to both Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda's problems, because you can basically guarantee that if any kind of game's going to push an engine to its limits it's an overambitious RPG.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm sure this is the exact problem troika games had with Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Nevermind that licensing agreement that Half Life 2 had to release first.

That said, people clearly pulled it off eventually, as you can see with Dota 2, and... I mean, I'm going to call E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy a successful attempt at what it was trying to do, I just don't know what it was doing.

I didn't actually know those specifics about Frostbite, though, thanks!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, just a bit of trivia. I played more than a few games that made me think "I don't know what's supposed to be so difficult about this" only to realize years later that I was basically on permanent bullet time the whole way through, lol.

It might be why I thought I was good at fighting games in the PS2 generation.

But it did have the side-effect of every piece of footage I saw of an American playing a game I knew well feel subtly wrong and it took me a while to figure out why.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I meant that in the sense that you almost never see speedruns on PAL versions because they run slower. It's always either American or Japanese versions, usually Japanese.

There's also bugfix-based reasons for that, too. PAL games almost always took longer to come out, for distribution, localization and framerate conversion reasons, so it could sometimes mean that the European version caught some bugfixes that weren't in the initial run of the American version. I remember there were some cases of this with Metroid Prime.

I believe that if you ever see specifically a European version being used for speedruns, it's probably a quirk of localization.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
A friend of mine has introduced me to what's now one of my new favorite speedrunning glitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-4YqvDwtQ

For a brief primer on what's going on here, Persona 3 has plot progression based on calendar dates, with the final bosses of the game taking place on January 31st. On the night of that day, every single way you could possibly pass time is disabled.

...except that they missed one single event. From the description:

quote:

By starting the Tanaka's SLink (Devil) on 1/31 you can skip finishing Tartarus and fighting Nyx entirely while still getting the true ending.

Devil SLink requires raising Hermit SLink to rank 4, having at least rank 4 courage, and 40000 yen. After getting rank 4 Hermit, Tanaka will be at Paulownia Mall every day of the week until you start his social link. Normally on 1/31 you cannot do any activity at Paulownia Mall that would consume time, however you can still talk to Tanaka. By timing the third time you give him money to be on 1/31 you can start his social link and skip the rest of the night, bypassing being forced into Tartarus. The game will skip right to 3/03 and you will still get the true ending.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Wait... so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game as where the bug happened?

That's actually kind of amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
For what it's worth, the Nick situation happened right around when The Adventure Zone got REAL drat big, and I think soon after was when he started a new podcast with his wife that's still going. Griffin's own corner of podcasting has been very kind to him, and while I miss the willingness he had to do neat gaming stuff at Polygon, I don't feel sad for him anymore. He's doing good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
So I've been stuck in a Youtube hole for the past week or so that's led me to a very weird example for this thread: Card game glitches. Yu-Gi-Oh, specifically. The way that some older cards were written led to dumb and insane bullshit, because the card was written bad.

This guy's got a series of videos on weird old card effects, but the actual 'glitches' come up in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVxRzlgcD7Y

And for people who don't want to watch the video, the cards he talks about that basically glitch out a card game:

-Darkness Approaches has you flip one face-up monster face-down, but doesn't change its attack position. This accidentally invented the concept of a face-down attack position, which doesn't exist in the game otherwise and the game can't handle.

-Weather Report gives all your monsters two attacks on your turn, by making the battle phase happen twice. Despite being practically no different from just directly having monsters attack twice, the fact this card was printed once in the 00s means that every single card effect ever since that handles the battle phase has to accommodate the idea of that phase happening twice.

-You can't legally use every Harpy Lady monster in the same deck, despite them being intended to be used together, because their effect says that you treat all of their names as 'Harpy Lady' so that they all benefit from the same support cards. Because you can only have three of the same card in your deck, you actually can't use all of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Pokemon Red/Blue is actually especially prone to this craziness because they had to take out the error handling that would've been there. It's of an era where they started implementing that as a matter of course, but they didn't actually have room for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Like Clockwork posted:

They almost couldn't fit Johto proper, that any of Kanto made it in at all is testament to Iwata's code wizardry.

That said I suspect that the safari zone may have been primarily cut more for bug-related issues since the first two gens shared a lot of code and fixing why e: the safari zone teleport to an out of bounds glitch city happens probably wouldn't have been feasible with the time/money they had, mostly judging by there being a proto-safari zone left in the data.

Yeah, a lot of the ways they 'fixed' bugs in the 8-bit Pokemon generations wasn't by actually fixing it, but by removing the way people triggered the bug in the first place. Missingno. and other glitch Pokemon still exist in Yellow (in fact they might be worse), but they removed the ability to rewatch the catching tutorial, so you can't do the classic Cinnibar Coast glitch. They didn't fix the ability to go into glitchy areas by handling doors weird, but they removed the Safari Zone that people used to trigger it in gen 2.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Pretty good posted:

Is there any documentation of how the Missingno glitch was first discovered? Like, I've always imagined it originated from some nerd posting on some niche forum about weird stuff they found while messing around with an emulator, and it spread online from there before eventually filtering down to 8yos telling each other about it at recess, but I'd love to know the specifics.

Missingno was likely before emulation was big enough that it would've been initially found that way, but remember: Pokemon is loving huge and played mostly by young children, so chances are likely that instead it was sort of a monkeys-on-typewriters situation. With so many kids doing so many different things in this one game, it was almost inevitable that eventually a couple of them would stumble onto this relatively easy to perform glitch by accident. I don't think it's something we can trace back to one place, given when and likely how it came about.

Incidentally, something I remember from my own childhood is that the Missingno steps in my local area didn't direct you to Cinnabar Island; they directed you to Fuchsia City, and then down to the east coast of Seafoam Islands, which has the same behavior. To me that sort of thing lends credence to the 'no single discovery' idea, because it seems like two totally different ways to perform the glitch developed in parallel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The only thing I remember anyone saying about Absolution was that it was subtly set in the Deus Ex universe. I'm kinda not surprised to hear that was the only thing worth saying about it at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I kinda like those models, they're authentically dumpy. It looks like a faithful adaptation of a 70s-80s historical drama that's not from the BBC but turns up on a network that airs a bunch of BBC shows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Post poste posted:

That's usually what you get.
Sometimes it's not even the current version of the script.

I've been playing Street Fighter V recently, ending up with Seth as my main. He has one entrance quote, and the subtitles VERY CLEARLY don't match up. The subtitle says 'Doll unit zero now operational', but the actual line is 'Doll unit zero online'.

I also remember Sonic Heroes having a hilarious amount of these.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO my face dumb glitch was how the mouths didn't match the dialogue in ANY language in Sonic adventure 1 & 2

And the speech was just so stilted sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbiemUjFTU

If I remember correctly, one of the most famous speech bugs in Sonic Adventure 2 actually only came about in the porting process from Dreamcast to Gamecube. In the cutscene before Sonic and Shadow have their first fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ockHHFfZ3b8

From what I've heard, Sonic doesn't step on Shadow's line in the original Dreamcast version. But in the Gamecube version, and all the later ports based on it, the cutscene runs at a different enough speed that lines happen on top of each other. It also happens in their first meeting, and a couple other scenes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Wizzanthos posted:

The other night I had a bizarre glitch happen in Smash Ultimate, first one for me.

Joined as Ganon and was replaced by a CPU Mario with a lower GSP, no pic, and an unknown quantity of lives. After the match ended on my screen and I wanted to rematch, my character switched to Cloud until I quit out of the lobby.

There's a couple of very rare, very weird bugs in Smash Ultimate's online play. My favorite came up in a video where a youtuber was betting on Spectator Mode, and went in on a two-player match only for a player four to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lh2TO-Uj3E&t=832s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Yeah, you're definitely thinking of Jazztronauts. I'm not sure what video specifically you're thinking of, but this is the one I remember it from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jSBrtmpr1o

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The famous Chris Houlihan room in A Link To The Past was similar; doing something that would cause the game to crash would just dump you in a secret room full of rupees.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure at this stage nobody should want to get close to a yakuza member.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
All of the Norse (and Norse-inspired) fantasy games basically look the same to me. If you showed me screenshots of Valhalla, Skyrim and the new God of War, I'm pretty sure the only way I could tell them apart is by the fact that I remember the design of the gruff beardo in God of War.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Captain Monkey posted:

Goon pretends he doesn’t know Kratos’ name.

She. And I know Kratos' name, but I wanted to underline that all three of those screenshots would have gruff beardos, it's just that Kratos is the only one I could pick out of a lineup.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Every time I see a new person tweeting about 2077, I find a new person to be disappointed in.

Come on, Tiedrich, you had all the opportunity in the world to know.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Cardiovorax posted:

Seriously, it's wild. The last time I saw a game launch fail that spectacularly was Final Fantasy 14. They remade the entire thing from the ground up to get it to where it is today and a lot of people still don't quite trust Square again.

Even XIV never got pulled from sale, except for when it was literally offline.

Imagine making a game such a disaster that it gets treqted worse than XIV 1.0.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

There are locations in AC Valhalla (and maybe earlier ones, I dunno) where the main game world's simulation stops working properly and you can hunt around for the collectible that's causing the glitch. It doesn't go this far, it's more like time looping/stuttering and objects freezing or popping in and out of existence, but it's really neat looking and has fooled me a couple times into thinking an area's not loading properly out-of-game. (the downside is that the areas boil down to very hit-or-miss platforming puzzles, but the overall effect is really cool and should be used in a more targeted game)

This sort of thing does deliberately happen in Saints' Row IV. The game takes place in a simulation, and there are points where it starts breaking down. And they use completely realistic animation, rendering and rigging glitches as inspiration for when you're around those places, it's really neat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Captain Monkey posted:

Sure, I wouldn't want a direct sequel because of that, I'm just eager for 4th wall breaking elements.

There's honestly been plenty of that, it's just that people have done the smart thing of having it be brief sections in largely 'straight' games, rather than a single game that can become known for it.

Undertale's neutral ending comes to mind, using things like crashes to desktop and suddenly acknowledging the save system. And of course, the Scarecrow sequences in the Arkham games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Frankly, I think a sex% speedrun is probably more true to the developers' vision than any other type of speedrun for basically any game where a sex% run is possible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

moist turtleneck posted:

Bethesda should get an apology from the world because their radiant AI was light years ahead of this game lol

Technically speaking, a lot of the things people pin on radiant AI weren't bugs; they were the game working completely as intended, it's just that the game's intentions were weird as poo poo and not always clear. Something I always think about regarding game AI is that we don't necessarily respond to the AI's actual intelligence, and more towards us being able to understand its processes. In stealth games for example, your Deus Exes and Metals Gear Solid, we very rarely respond to how smart the AI actually is; we respond to how it talks, how it visibly responds to things. Most stealth game AIs are rock-stupid, but we believe they've got some brains because they talk out their thought process.

Radiant AI was really interestingly nuanced, but everyone saw it as dumb as bricks because it couldn't articulate that an NPC was hungry and lacked social responsibility and so thought that it was best to steal what they wanted; all it could communicate in was rumors about mudcrabs down by the water. This was especially true of Oblivion, the only game where radiant AI was really at its 'full power'; everything afterwards just took out more and more of the parts that were causing wild-rear end behavior.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jan 14, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
A bit of a curveball from the usual, from the Nier Replicant PC port:

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1385757947112804357

The 'explain it like I'm five' explanation: The game's running into critical, crash-worthy errors when running just as a normal matter of course. ...But apparently nobody told Nier that, because the game runs completely fine and has no notable issues despite all coding logic saying it should be crashing constantly.

It's an anti-glitch! Everything is normal when nothing should be!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
My favorite arbitrary code execution is the one where Ocarina of Time hits a credits warp.

...for Paper Mario.

By using a mechanic invented for an entirely different game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9dTmzRAL_4

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jun 20, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Velocity Raptor posted:

Back 4 Blood is a L4D clone currently in beta.

Some people playing it have found an unfortunate bug when the game plays two sounds clips for some of the zombies.

https://twitter.com/HomBKE/status/1423499337766735875?s=20

Dev's response:

I heard about this without watching the clip, and thought it was gonna be something like 'I guess the growls kinda sound like that sometimes if you're listening for it*'. But actually checking out the clip... wow, it's kinda blatant. Like, there's no hearing anything ELSE.

*I was going to say 'like that one Persona 5 song that sounds like it drops the R-slur', but then I looked it up to confirm what the lyrics there are supposed to be, and... nobody actually knows, I can only find people talking about how they're sure that's what they heard but that can't possibly be right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Right at the end of Axiom Verge 2, after the credits if you get a certain completion percentage, is a hazy, glitchy cinematic of the player character in 'maybe the afterlife, maybe another dimension', finally meeting up with her estranged daughter. just as they're about to touch... the game crashes.

Or at least, it did for me the first time. That's apparently NOT how it's supposed to go. But holy poo poo did I buy it, Axiom Verge is exactly the game to pull something like that. That whole scene's full of visual glitches, why WOULDN'T it deliberately crash at a dramatically appropriate moment?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Tiggum posted:

I can't remember if it was Saints Row 3 or 4, but one of them has a bit where it makes it look like your computer has crashed. I definitely thought it was legit for a moment, the first time I saw it.

I believe both do that, actually. It's just that 3 does it in a single cyberspace-focused mission, while 4's whole thing is cyberspace-focused so its playing with that is more spread-out.

And funnily enough, glitches are actually the one place where 'gently caress with you as the player' sanity effects would still work. And probably better than they used to, actually. Widespread mass common engine use of stuff like Unreal and Unity means that a lot of the vocabulary of glitches is more standardized; not only that, but the general gaming public is more familiar with that vocabulary now, so we can recognize stuff like t-posing, misaligned textures, value over/underflows, clipping out of bounds, stuff like that.

If I were a game developer today, I probably couldn't convince you that your TV was broken. But I could definitely convince you that your game is.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Sep 12, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

alexandriao posted:

is that not exactly what that one visual novel does

Yes and no. Doki Doki Literature Club occasionally uses the language of glitches to show things going wrong, but it more uses it as just a small part of its greater arsenal of 'uncanny game horror'. It more typically likes subverting its own artstyle and genre conventions than pretending to be broken.

It does lean a lot on the very related angle of using the game's conventions and file structure to aid in telling the story, which is something you can do very well for PC games especially.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

flavor.flv posted:

That sure sounds like it would be funny, maybe someday here will be a video of that happening without some goober screeching over it

Sorry, this is just how video game videos are now. At least Matt is generally a pretty cool guy who knows the value of being silent to let the game 'speak'.

Plus, inconsistent bugs are actually a really difficult thing to consistently capture, so you kinda just have to accept the form you see them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Casnorf posted:

It's using a face texture as a reflection map.

I think I've seen similar problems from overheating graphics cards, so they might have hosed something up really bad here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://twitter.com/onion_mu/status/1493265908764069889?t=CeGEghGTzxUSsGJ1esOXkg&s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

kirbysuperstar posted:

If I had to guess, something fucky about LODs?

That's the best guess. For some reason, loading the full model from an LOD here makes part of the model bigger every time it happens.

The NPC they're running around is not needed, and in the replies people replicate it without her being there, it's just that she happens to be at exactly the right distance from these characters that running around her reliably causes the bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

I watched this like four times, and can't tell what's supposed to be funny or glitching.