Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I got an account here because of Let's Horribly Break Pokémon Blue, a Let's Play all about tweaking the memory to make old Pokémon games do strange things. I posted a big set of screenshots on the thread showing a bunch of glitches that can be done purely through user input.

My input file still exists, although the video PureRok made is gone. You should just read the LP anyway, Pokémon is pretty slow-paced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brother Jonathan posted:

Alpha releases are sometimes more entertaining than the final just for the amazing bugs that can occur.

I remember alpha testing some American Civil War mod for Battlefield 1942. The horses were based on the code for Jeeps, and in version 0.1, a horse would explode in a fireball when it died. Good times.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Skyrim, I'm surprised there are so few Skyrim glitch videos here considering the game is pretty much the most glitchy and broken thing I've ever encountered.

It's strange, I've played 100 hours of Skyrim and encountered no glitches other than an occasional freeze.

On the other hand, Fallout: New Vegas was basically unplayable because of glitches. Dead bodies would come back to life after I reloaded a save, so saving after battling a group of Deathclaws meant that they would all rise up and start attacking me. Stimpacks would occasionally read something like "Heal -16777215 Health" and kill me instantly when used. Giant Radscorpions would split into more copies of themselves when shot, and they could fly. It reaches a point where I couldn't play the game because I was getting divebombed by dozens of giant Radscorpions, like a horrible hydra made of chitin.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Age of Mythology the Hersir, mass-produced Viking heroes, would each have a unique name. The name was formed as [Viking first name] [Noun][Verb]er, with random selections for each. This meant that you would send soldiers into battle with names like Ragnar Dragonsmiter, Olaf Wormcrusher, and Sven Refreshingbeveragedrinker. The combinations also meant you could have a completely unfitting name like "Refreshingbeveragekiller".

Egyptian Pharaohs would be given random names as well in that game, usually based on real Pharaohs, but occasionally you would get a succession of rulers named "Bubba".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Oblivion I had a character with 100% Chameleon and active effects that would confound NPCs as they tried to find me, so I could just walk around invisibly killing people. I could also wear a set of armour causing me to reflect all damage dealt to me except by arrows, and arrows were a weak joke in Oblivion. I resolved to play Skyrim without enchanting to have more of a challenge, and I'm currently doing quite well in a playthrough without levelling up or using magic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

There's an lp in the archive of Chorocojo thoroughly breaking Pokemon Blue in every way possible. It's a pretty fun read. He uses tools to speed up the process, but supposedly most of what he does can be reproduced with an undamaged copy of the game.

Everything I did in my TAS segment is possible to do on an unmodified copy of the game, such as catching a glitch, fighting the gyms in (almost) reverse order, and fighting Professor Oak's team of level 111 Pokémon. Lots of the glitches exist because the early Pokémon games strained the Gameboy hardware and shuffled around data to handle everything with only 8 kilobytes of RAM.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

take_it_slow posted:

I'm pretty sure he presses up+down or left+right in that video, which would be mechanically impossible on a stock gameboy color...

If you're a robot, you can press up then down at 120 hertz to make it register up+down.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lobok posted:

I wonder if they would even care or know that they were zombies. Snarling, brainless, savage cannibals are probably some of the nicer ways Ancient Romans would have used to describe Barbarians.

The Zombie Survival Guide has a bit where the Romans fight off a zombie horde. It's easier than a normal barbarian army because the zombies come towards the legion from a single direction.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

dpbjinc posted:

you could conceivably put an entire NES game into the SNES's memory.

I looked this up, and you're absolutely right. The SNES has 128 KB of RAM, the NES has only 2 KB, and Super Mario Bros. only takes up 32 KB. It would take a while to write it out, but it's entirely possible.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Scoreless soccer games are so boring, just another 0-0 snoozefest :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lizard Wizard posted:

What was the Corrupted Blood Plague?

World of Warcraft had a high-level boss who could hit players with a curse called Corrupted Blood that would deal a lot of damage for a few seconds and spread from person to person. If a pet got infected and dismissed, it would still be infected when called back later - perhaps in the middle of a city. Corrupted Blood was strong enough to kill low-level players instantly and completely disrupted the affected areas, leaving corpses lying all over the streets. Blizzard had a hard time controlling it because of players deliberately targeting unaffected areas with virtual biological terrorism. Eventually they had to temporarily shut down some servers in order to stop the plague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHNo-NZKxI

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rorac posted:

I remember a Pokemon blue LP that explored exactly how poorly programmed it was. 99.99% of it functioned perfectly(or at least, as-programmed). But if you knew exactly what you were doing, it showed that the game was practically held together with the coding equivalent of chewing gum, some duct tape, and distilled hope.

I contributed a video to that LP as well (the tool-assisted speedrun). A lot of the fun glitches like Missingno. are a result of the game refusing to crash even when it loads bad data, so it just processes some other part of the memory as if it were a Pokemon and starts a battle against that. Unless the game does something like divide by zero or try to search the RAM for a value that doesn't exist, it's content to keep going without crashing until gameplay either returns to normal or something does make it crash.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This one's not technically a glitch, King's Bounty is an RPG where you have to find a sceptre that the king lost at a random location anywhere in the very large game world. This run used luck-manipulation to ensure the sceptre was right next to the start location.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Croccers posted:

Technically could you just keep restarting the game until that happened, not even manipulating the games 'RNG'?

Yes, that's how luck-manipulation works. All videogames have a random-number generator that creates random numbers based on some seed, like recent button presses or perhaps the current time. By using savestates to repeatedly test different seeds, it's possible to find a set of inputs that leads to exactly the outcome you want from the RNG.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zereth posted:

Consoles without a built-in clock don't actually have anything to base a different seed off of, so it's pretty much down to time and player input for changing it. I think most of the King's Bounty TAS is waiting for the RNG to line up with "Scepter is under the player's starting position". This is why TASes in general work, in fact: If you feed the emulator (and in some cases, a console) the same input, it'll always spit out the same results.

(TAses for PC games or later consoles have to include the starting conditions of the clock and such to remain consistent, of course.)

Yes, but some games on consoles without an inbuilt clock still base the RNG on time since the console was turned on. I made the single-player and two-player TASes of River City Ransom, and manipulating luck in that game is tough because it's largely based on the current frame count. Often the delay from luck-manipulating a minor event is longer than actually manipulating that. Manipulating AIs is slightly different, because they are based on certain factors, but the way an AI reacts can vary so dramatically. One of my favourite tricks in River City Ransom is to stand just within vertical range of an AI, so that moving downwards for a single frame right before an AI makes a decision can cause it to make a different decision. You can see this quite a bit in how the single-player run manipulates the AI to damage itself, since the player character is so weak relative to late-game bosses.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tracula posted:

Sort of a shame. Part of me would believe you could somehow use a TAS to force every robot master to spawn at the same time.

You could, but it wouldn't look like that. It would be extremely laggy, with the graphics constantly flickering in and out, and there'd be a lot of handholding behind the scenes to make it possible without crashing. I think Megaman is one of the games where total control has been achieved, meaning that you can upload custom code to the RAM using only controller input, and that means you can do anything within the capabilities of the NES. Spawning lots of bosses in a non-laggy way is not within those capabilities.

I think the Super Mario World Total Control video has been posted, here's Total Control in Pokemon Yellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UnB1fomvAw

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bridge Constructor has some truly hilarious unintended physics bugs, and sometimes these can win the game because you only need to get vehicles across the bridge - neither the bridge nor the cars need to be intact. I'm timestamping this video to one of the funniest parts, but the whole thing is worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBg0j1GGgI&t=105s

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GreatGreen posted:

What they need to do is to develop a game that has just a whole universe of weird rear end glitches and crazy poo poo you can do, but hide it under a very thin, very easily breakable facade of a "regular game" so that producing those glitches is both very easy and makes you feel like a little kid getting away with breaking windows.

This is the only way I play Pokémon now. Once you understand how to manipulate the original game's memory at will, there are dozens of strange Glitch Cities to explore. This is what it looks like when you use those bugs to beat the Elite Four in 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCkw2kSzCcE&t=380s

And if you'd like to watch a feature film's worth of Pokemon, here's what it looks like when you use those bugs to catch all 151 Pokémon in under 2 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrspyLH0IoU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

synthetik posted:

Nah, they're enough for a nice night out, but not much more. Its based on a scale of percentage of code still being used.

Are you allowed to tell us what that percentage is? I'm also curious if you have information on how much other parts of the code from '97 get reused.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

blunt for century posted:

I like how the realism of racing games adds makes the glitches even funnier

It's the same with sports games - the way they try to be realistic and just like a game on your TV makes it even funnier when the world starts going crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

My internet can download a 140 megabyte file in less than a second but that doesn't mean it won't lock up every modern web browser.

I'm using Iron, so it's fine, but that .gif is not worth the size. Why wouldn't you just link a youtube video for something like that?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sprue posted:

I think for this specific example the problem is that there isn't enough room in the savefiles to save any but the very basic information of player name and various stats - it wouldn't work in the middle of a capture sequence. I remember being surprised as a kid when I played the first rpg to feature saving outside of limited save spots even.

There was also an issue with the length of saving - if PC boxes were freely accessible, it would take much longer to save the game because the majority of a Pokemon save file is the species, move list, experience values, and individual values of each Pokemon the player owns. So it only saves specifics from the player's current PC box, and doesn't changes the data from other PC boxes. If the player starts a new game, any untouched PC boxes in the new game are simply marked as empty instead of actually erasing the data, similar to how Windows doesn't actually overwrite data with zeroes when you hit delete. Not only does a longer saving process slow the game down, there's also a vulnerability during the save - that TASbot video works by turning off the game while it's saving, which confuses the game as to what parts of the data are empty.

A long time ago, I was dicking around with an emulator wondering what would happen if I hard-reset Pokemon Red while saving. I figured out switching empty Pokemon slots around, and learned that I could use this behaviour to get a glitchy level 0 Pokemon with extremely high attack power. My first idea was to use this bug to get a powerful glitch Pokemon and win the game normally that way, then I posted about it on TASvideos, and some guys on there went to town on it. Now Pokemon is one of several games where the fastest route to the end involves figuring out the best way to execute arbitary code.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FredMSloniker posted:

I expected to make a big fireball. What I did not expect was this:

You flew so far off-screen that it started rendering junk data. That's a thing of beauty right there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tunicate posted:

I assume at some point a curious person tried it with the old man.

Must have been mindblowing to the person who saw Missingno. for the first time. You'd hope for interesting results from that experiment, but who could guess it would be that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

After trying and failing to replicate a glitch in Super Mario 64, a speedrunner is offering $1000 to anyone who can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzTUdOHm9A

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheRagamuffin posted:

Tool-assisted speedrunners have already broken the game hard enough that this specific glitch is totally unnecessary.

Not true, that specific glitch would help to break things even further.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What a great speedrun, 18 years faster than the old record.

ranbo das posted:

The reason that guy is offering $1000 for the glitch is he's trying to do a 100% no jump Mario 64 run. Apparently he's down to like 20 jump presses or so and that glitch could cut out a lot of them.

There's a no-running, no-warp TAS of Super Mario Bros. that's only possible because of a hilarious glitch in 4-3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOzbAHPmvM&t=647s

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The White Dragon posted:

Sorry, that's not a proper glitch. That's your GPU having a panic attack :(

But it's at exactly the right time :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Baron von Eevl posted:

In 3 you could max out your sneak and unarmed (melee?) and just go around with the Chinese stealth armor and deathclaw gauntlet. You could walk right up to almost anyone and stab them to death in one hit and their buddies would never know you were there.

The most broken weapon with that build is the Terrible Shotgun. Most weapons do extra damage on a critical hit, and a stealth attack is a guaranteed critical that ignores armour and deals double damage. The Terrible Shotgun applies the critical bonus for each buckshot pellet that hits the target, so a single stealth shot at close range can kill anything except an Albino Radscorpion.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

credburn posted:

That game just keeps on giving. I have a weird question, though... can you clarify what the text in the image means?

Seriously, I don't understand what is being said. Are you saying (you? someone else?) that humans have superpowers, and also supercars have superpowers? Or are you saying, Humans, you need to get superpowers, and so here is a guy with what is basically a superpower?

Super humans have super powers, and super cars also have super powers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WealthyEvergreenArrowworm-mobile.mp4

My guy could've made the out, but instead he decided to electric slide 20 feet

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Add in either fighting mechanics or logic-based dialogue combat, boom problem solved

The Bigs had a minigame where one player controls the coach trying to argue with the umpire to change his call, and the other player controls the umpire and can throw him out of the game if the coach crosses a line.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reminds me of Pokemon Red and Blue. When the old man shows you how to catch a Weedle, your character's picture changes and he is temporarily renamed OLD MAN. The player's name is stored in the wild Pokemon data register, because that data gets reset every time you enter an area where wild Pokemon exist. Except, of course, the east coast of Cinnabar Island, which is why the player's name influences which Pokemon appear from the Missingno. glitch.

Ruby/Sapphire's catching tutorial only happens once, with an NPC's Zigzagoon using Tackle on a wild Ralts, and then throwing a Poke Ball. This tutorial uses the RNG, so it's possible to get an exceptionally weak Ralts that a strong critical hit will KO. The battle ends, and Wally talks about it as if he caught the Ralts instead of knocking it out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Like Clockwork posted:

Specifically, this was a glitch introduced in the English localizations—a related glitch prevents encounters on certain types of grass tiles, because they're read as road (which doesn't have encounters) rather than grass (which does). In the original Japanese releases, that stretch of coast is properly marked as being water, so you get the water encounter set rather than the name placeholder or whatever the last "real" encounter set was.

There's other glitches introduced in other RBY localizations, though I can't recall the details off the top of my head. I remember some of them being absolutely wild, though.

In Red/Blue/Yellow, they forgot to put the appropriate terminator on the Bike Shop dialogue, so that if you start a conversation without a Bike Voucher, the dialogue enters "instant text" mode where you can clear text boxes much faster than normal. For some reason, it's allowed even in glitchless speedruns.

There's a similar error in Gold/Silver, where looking at the English version of the Coin Case generates a text box that ends with a decimal point instead of a period. Under the right circumstances, this can be used to modify the RAM in arbitrary ways.

There are some bugs that appears only in the Japanese version of R/B/Y. The Old Man has a different bug, where if you watch his demonstration while having a full party and PC, it displays the message "The Pokemon box is full! You can't use that item!" It gets stuck in an infinite loop of trying and failing to use the Poke Ball.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a fun one I just learned about in Pokemon Yellow. The game has two different animations for wild Pokemon encounters - a long animation if the Pokemon is higher than your party's level, and a short animation if it isn't. When you nickname your rival, his name is stored in your party data, since that data is empty at the time. So if you give your rival a nickname that's at least 5 characters, as far as the game is concerned your party has a high-level Pokemon in it, and it will play the short encounter animation when you encounter Pikachu for the first time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Skyrim had a very similar bug where you could decapitate an essential character and they'd just walk around and talk normally.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NPCs in Skyrim will complain if you bump into them while sprinting. Apparently this includes enemies that you are fighting to the death.

https://i.imgur.com/yL8wwFC.mp4

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

flavor.flv posted:

I may be misremembering. What I remember clearly is wanting that loving dog to die

He doesn't even talk outside of quest-related cutscenes

He says "bark bark" but it's subtitled as "woof".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PhazonLink posted:

Didnt Big Rigs (and a bunch of other games) also not cap its reversing speed?

Super Mario 64 as well, which is why it's possible to beat the game without ever collecting a star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In International Super Star Soccer Deluxe, if you put the ball in the goal from behind, it counts a goal for every frame the ball is in there. But it doesn't show the number until the ball enters the goal from the front.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PowerfulCharmingIndianskimmer-mobile.mp4