Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Kinda reminds me of another FPS I was playing recently, where if I used a shotgun, I'd occasionally run into this glitch where I'd never stop reloading. It'd just keep feeding shells into the gun like the world's most morbid clown car. Damned if I can remember what game it was though.

This happened to me in Stalker: CoP. Bring it on Bloodsuckers, my shotgun has my entire store of shells in it :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They cram a lot of people into those JC2 games :stare:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thats the main reason I buy Bethesda games on PC, a handful of quick console commands and that error would be fixed!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I googled it and apparently the normal console commands to set someone as inessential don't work either lol. Everyone who has it is stuck waiting on a patch.

:lol: Oh wow okay that is grade A. Guess I'lll make double sure to save before that bit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

You used to be able to kill yourself if you crouched in a pool of water and shot your own knee

You still can AFAIK

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

That was fixed a patch or two ago :(

You can still do this (1:00) though.

Oh drat, I totally missed that in the patch notes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Rules.ini gave kid me high expectations for easy game modding, which sadly have not been met in modern games.

For real. I had so much fun screwing around with voxel editors and the ini in Tiberian Sun. I made it so instead of tossing off a single tire when destroyed, vehicles would basically shed all their parts to go bouncing/exploding away. Attack buggy? 4 tires and some bits. Tanks? Turret, gun barrel, road wheels. Tiberium harvester? A bunch of chunks of raw tiberium that blew the gently caress up and basically turned them into mobile cluster bombs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

stuffed crust punk posted:

did the voxel editors come later? coulda sworn when I played tibsun back in the day there was neither a real map editor or a unit editor

Probably, yeah. I don't remember the timeframe but I had to make games last.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

totally agree, Dismount gave me so many hours of enjoyment. I'm really sad that the Wreckfest soft body physics tech still hasn't been implemented widely. I want a mashup game of Burnout, Red Faction, and Dismount, with all the most advanced physics engines.

My god yes. Red Faction building destruction was some of the most satisfying poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stop it you guys are making me sad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

stuffed crust punk posted:

the thing that drives me nuts and seems to keep happening over and over again is game logic is tied to framerate. the dark souls pc port had something like double damage or double weapon degradation or something when people modded it to run at 60fps because it determined those things by the number of frames where a weapon intersected with a target or some poo poo like that. I make loving phone apps and I'd be fired for putting business logic values in the ui

You'd think devs would have figured this out ages ago. It's not exactly a new problem, going back to game logic tied to clock rate and suddenly a game runs at light fuckin speed on a newer computer, thus turbo buttons and all that jazz.

I'll always remember Cyberstorm 1/2, some :krad: strategy sim games in the Starsiege pre-Tribes universe where you commanded a mercenary band of not-mechs (HERCs!). It was a hybrid game where you could choose real time or turn based (at least, the second one). Well, by the time I got the game turn based was the only option because real time ran at some mega time compression thanks to the improved hardware of the time. The mission would load in, enemy forces would zip over like the Flash, boom my guys explode, mission failed. All in, like, a second.

The game came out in '98.

how is stuff like this still a problem

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

While we're on it, howabout parts of games (like menus) with completely uncapped framerates.

The main menu in Starcraft 2 when it came out nearly melted my laptop since it would gobble up all available resources to push hundreds of frames just cause it wasn't told not to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

A fellow goon got even more literally SHAME CUBEd in Destiny 2 the other day.

https://i.imgur.com/cOjpYFg.gifv

Holy poo poo it never even occurred to me that you could get stuck inside that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sounds like something oh so slightly amiss with your hardware? But also hilarious, so keep trucking.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

The best use of the kinect ever was sports game ls saying "the manager is getting heated!" Or tossing you unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when it detected swearing.

That's loving awesome lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

QTE's were the worst addition to gaming since you now have to be on your toes during cutscenes instead of enjoying it or zoning out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Live, in-engine cutscenes are the best, for the simple reason that just like ever more advanced physics: they allow for wonderful gently caress ups to occur.

A very tame one for example, from the first Halo: I triggered the level ending cutscene with enemies still alive in the area, so the chief stood there chatting while taking hits and grunting, until he died. The body was then teleported out and on to the next mission. It was great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hel posted:

It's like games not having loading screens, first it seemed like a cool idea, but then it just turned into the player mashing a button to squeeze through a beam, or being forced to slowly walk down a corridor

Or the slowest elevators, ever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tight aspirations posted:

Watching cutscenes should present a different narrative to skipping them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkaJIisVyyg

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Honestly the optical illusions game devs come up with, or the funny way an item/vehicle/element is actually this bastardized vehicle or armor or NPC to creat the illusion is fascinating to me and I want to know/see more. It is separate threadworthy tbh.

Yeah its very fun trivia, like how early versions of WoW didn't actually support most quest objectives beyond "kill X" so pulling a lever or turning a valve for a quest would fire a script that spawns and kills a rabbit somewhere in the game world to kludge around it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

One of my favorites is that Freelancer had sun coronas and planet atmospheres that would burn you up if you flew at the related bodies to hide the fact that 1. they're actually really small except 2. if you're in a strong enough ship you can mash heal and shield restore and hit the sun and bounce off it

That's hilarious. I love freelancer but I never tried that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

star citizen has the best bugs, and is definitely releasing any day now

https://v.redd.it/upjm19xwf2r81/DASH_480.mp4

Computer, initiate self destruct sequence. Activation code: Oopsie dropsies 101

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

ELEX 2 is worlds better than ELEX 1

I mean, is there any way that couldn't be the case? 1 was rrrooough

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Elfface posted:

Probably already known, but...

Today I learned that everyone in the original Half Life is that guy from Police Academy/Spaceballs who does sound effects. The game only allowed certain types of thing to make noises, and inanimate objects were not among them.

Every time a security guard presses a button and it goes 'beep', the guard is saying 'beep'. Ordinarily, just a funny quirk. It doesn't matter what process creates the sound so long as it sounds right to the player.

However, Half Life also had a simple lip-flap script to make NPCs animate when they're talking, and though they do their best to hide it by having them lean into the panels, this script is still running for sound effects.

This even applies to Gordon's model if you force 3rd person. When he fires a shotgun, he's yelling "blam". When he recharges his suit, he's saying "Nyeeeeowwww bleephmmmm bleephmmm". When the suit says "Welcome to the HEV Mk4 Protective System" Gordon's mouth is moving.

That is brilliant

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone made a mod for a shooter where they replaced every single sound effect with them just saying it.

Guns went "bang", reloading was a clip of the guy going "k-chk" etc.

I remember that for Half Life 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxN8sCIOOE

Arrath has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Jun 22, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

We've all been there. One of my first forays into 3D graphics led to me spending an hour investigating why my mesh renderer wasn't working, only to discover the scale was so wrong that it was outside the far clip plane in all directions

Lmao that's great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Philippe posted:

Yeah I'll strap a balloon to a tank and put it on my helicopter, there's nothing unrealistic about that.

The balloons give lift, the chopper just pushed it forward. :science:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

But, do hats go on the bridge/conning tower? The gun directing radar? On each turret?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lmfao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Getting bullied by bees and locked into a corner ala CoD riot shield griefing is just the best.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SS13 never fails to deliver :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

Hey I know I'm like a decade late in asking this question, but is GTAV and Grand Theft Auto Online two different things? Or are they the same?

They were the same, you bought gta5 and GTA:O was the multiplayer component. I think a few years ago they released the online part standalone for free.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That was a known issue early on in WoW's lifetime, too. Instead of simply failing to apply, though, older buffs would get overwritten. This lead to us healers being cautioned not to use heal over time spells on the tanks as that might push off a pivotal buff and get them splatted.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lmfao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:lmao: I'm fuckin dead

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Not sure why Bethesda does anything besides Skyrim and fallout rereleases

Beth just published this one. Akin to Obsidian doing New Vegas under their banner, but you know, NV was a great game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a kid with a sword who hosed around with a chicken and found out

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Another crippling AI bug from I've experienced is from the old Microprose Magic: the Gathering game, although this one isn't the original dev's fault. The game was released in 1997, but in the decades since, a bunch of cards from more recent Magic sets have been modded into the game. Enter Oona's Prowler, a 3/1 flying creature for 1B that has an ability that lets any player discard a card to give it -2/-0 until end of turn, shrinking its attack power. This is usually not worth it for an opponent to do, because a card is usually worth more than 2 damage. I put it in my deck because I was trying to play reanimator, and it's a decent way to get big creatures into the discard to be reanimated. But it turns out that as soon as you play it, the AI will immediately decide that they need to shrink its power down to zero, even though it's not attacking yet. And, in fact, they'll keep on discarding cards, even after its power is already zero. So on turn 1 or 2, you can play Oona's Prowler, and instantly destroy your opponent's entire hand. If that sounds like it's so devastating that you basically have won the game already just by playing this single 2-mana creature, then you'd be correct.

I think this bug exists because the original game's card pool doesn't have any activated abilities with a discard in the cost, so the way the ability would have to be coded, or maybe just the way it's interpreted by the AI, is as an ability that costs nothing and causes the player who activated it to discard a card and the creature to shrink. So the AI sees: an ability I can do that costs nothing? Hell yeah, let's do that. Okay, that's done, now what? Oh look, an ability I can activate that costs nothing! And repeat.

Yo is this the game with a big overworld map you go traveling around and battling folks in? And it has an active modding scene??

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well I've got some games to look into, thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Golden Dragon posted:

really looking forward to seeing what new and exciting jank Starfield will give us

Oh yeah, same here.