Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Eating naked in the shower is a bug? Someone tell the bachelor thread about this, stat!

BUG: Medics using vacuum cleaners as surgical tools when dealing with prisoners who have boils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

New Vegas worked just fine but I somehow managed to make King of Dragon Pass do horrible, horrible things, and apparently that game was never known for glitches.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

That was The End. He shows up asleep in a wheelchair in the cutscene, and if you're quick you can kill him right there while he's asleep and harmless. The best part about that is that killing him, like any of the Cobra unit, causes him to explode spectacularly. Also the explosion flings his wheelchair into the air and directly at you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rare Collectable posted:

In my runthrough of MGS3 HD Snake got his nose pierced during the fight against The Fear and he kept it in for the entire game.

The bolt didn't show up in the med screen or during cutscenes but it was a cool emergent example of how much of a badass Snake is,

Yeah if you get an arrow stuck in you during the Fear fight and don't remove it eventually the game kind of forgets it's there and it disappears from the medical screen but the actual arrow stays stuck in you forever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I think one of my favorite 'unintended consequences' that wasn't quite a glitch (but I believe was later patched out), was when they were monkeying around with the forge and someone figured out that it's possible to make an alloy that explodes, violently, in any bashing reaction...but which is itself immune to explosions. Wield an endlessly exploding shovel. Punch people with exploding gauntlets. Wear a suit of reactive armor that gibs anyone who punches you but only knocks you down with a little stun damage because your exploding armor is immune to explosions.

This was actually me. The alloy would also explode if it got hot, and I managed to create a suit of blast proof armour out of it that was infused with napalm and thus constantly on fire.

If you put it on you would immediately burst into flames and explode, but you were immune to explosions, so you would just continuously explode for the rest of the round because every explosion stunned you so you couldn't take it off.

I remember the first person I showed it to just said "haha it's straight from hell"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Sorry no you're going to have to expand on this one; people figured out how to eat the loving UI of other players? :catstare:

So SS13 is a game made on the worst engine known to man, BYOND. Due to this, every player's UI is in fact actually a series of objects contained within their body that only they can see.

In Genetics you can give people a mutation called Matter Eater, which allows them to eat normally inedible objects, which certain restrictions on very large items. There's also a booster gene, which when combined with Matter Eater removed those restrictions.

People who activate the gene get a list of all the objects nearby that they can eat. People with the boosted version would, looking at this list, notice an item called "hud". This was their own UI, which would disappear if they selected it. If they were standing next to someone else, their hud would also appear on the list.

This all sounds very unusual but you have to remember that holy gently caress, BYOND is the worst. It is not actually uncommon for you to just find discarded hud elements that have somehow detached themselves from their host players and gone on adventures. I fondly remember the time we found an orphaned strangle button which made someone pass out every time we poked it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

you know a goalie is dedicated when he permanently destroys all the bones in his leg to make an incredible save

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Really digging the one soldier who's just a floating head bristling with weapons.

in dire circumstances, certain physical standards for military service get relaxed, like "don't have flat feet" or "have a torso"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

There have been multiple games where uninstalling them will accidentally uninstall something else, maybe lots of other things. Myth 2. Pool of Radiance. Probably others.

The EVE thing IIRC was they pushed an update to the game that also messed with a critical system file and made some people's PCs unbootable.

EVE had always contained a file called boot.ini. One update installed into the wrong folder, which also happened to contain a file called boot.ini, which it naturally overwrote. This file, as it turns out, is pretty important.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

A fun lesser known example is the undead sponge. Occasionally, the same conditions that could lead to a fort being infested with hardy undead carp could also generate undead sponges. This leads to a problem. The sponge, being relatively slow and sessile and possessing no limbs, was not an especially dangerous combatant. Possessed with the mighty ability to inch onto land, sponges mostly just terrified dwarves into uselessness, and your military would happily leap in to begin combat with the threat. However, remember how I said undead needed to be hacked apart, and sponges have no limbs? That's right. For a while, undead sponges were completely immortal. Just these...cthonic heaps of undying flesh that were vaguely threatening and couldn't be hammered or axed or sworded for poo poo. I suppose you could use a Dwarven Atom Smasher (A drawbridge happily makes anything under it cease to exist), but that would require the presence of mind to set one up beforehand, because your dwarves would put on their best Ernest T. Judd and flee in terror from these horrible creeping sponges otherwise.

The fun thing about giant sponges was that they were designed to be completely immobile and to never do anything, and they were never supposed to attack, but if you threatened one it had the same chance of entering a combat rage as any other animal. This would cause it to charge towards the offender somehow and use the default no-limb attack "push", the damage of which was purely based on mass and would murder whoever it hit because giant sponges were enormous. This lead to the immortal quote: "Without a nervous system, all it can feel is anger."

I also remember that at one point giant sponges were accidentally made sentient, and someone loving around in adventure mode found two giant sponges sitting about a foot apart who absolutely hated each other and were locked in an endless screaming argument.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Who What Now posted:

There's also the Dwarf Fort Danger Room™, where you fill a room with spike traps armed with wooden training spears. Each tile has ten spears, so standing on it when it's activated is the equivalent of being attacked ten times. If you put dwarves in metal plate armor and put them in a room filled with these, the spears will (usually) bounce harmlessly off of them and give them fighting experience as they attempt to dodge, block, and party each spear. And since you can activate the traps with a lever, and dwarfs can pull levers very quickly, you'll quickly cram a lifetime of battle into ten minutes, giving you a squad of legendary soldiers ready to fight off an invasion that just arrived.

Just make sure that none of your dwarfs have a baby or pets following them, because those will be vaporized

There was also the advanced version of this, the Shaft of Enlightenment. Basically, you throw someone down a pit with an upright spear at the bottom to impale them. Most of the people that you throw down will hit the spear and die. However, occasionally, someone will dodge the spear, and instantly become the greatest warrior who ever lived because their dodge stat will become superhuman. Discovered when someone set up a spear pit to execute goblin prisoners and one of the random goblins he threw in instantly became a legendary goblin swordmaster, clawed his way out of the pit, fought his way out of the fort and disappeared into the woods.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There definitely needs to be a mod which slows things down to a crawl just so you can have NPCs wandering around, slowly being followed by a random assortment of hurled crap.

I want to see a target being orbited by an entire solar system of knives and bricks.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

One of the neatest things about the early Fallout games to me (and its spiritual derivative Arcanum) was that they actually had an entire second set of dialogue for low-intelligence characters, sometimes just rewording, but more often actually quite substantially different with different outcomes. That's a degree of dedication to writing your game that you don't see a lot these days, although I suppose the fixation on having everything voice-acted would make that harder.

In Arcanum, there was even a not-quite-glitch where you could get stinking dead drunk and lower your int past the treshold for idiot dialogue. I got some real laughs out of reading my own journal entries again through the drunk filter. I recommend it to anyone who liked that game.

My favourite thing about arcanum was a very specific interaction you could get right at the start of the game. If you've never played it: the first person you talk to in the game is a guy named Virgil. He's a devout follower of a religion and believes that you are the prophesied reincarnation of the messiah, an elven sorcerer who lived thousands of years ago. Normally, he's very deferential and respectful while trying to explain to you that you are the chosen one. If you play a character with rock-bottom intelligence, he tries to explain it very slowly and simply before getting frustrated and starting to just shout "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE, YOU ARE A POWERFUL WIZARD, COME WITH ME".

but the best version is if you start as a half-ogre, who have a huge intelligence penalty, but then max out your int in order to get over the stupid dialogue threshold. He starts out with the idiot dialogue, where he mutters under his breath about your reincarnation being defective and then trying to explain it to you using small words, at which point you interrupt him to ask him why he's talking like that and he gets incredibly flustered about the fact that he's basically just called his own god an idiot.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Arcanum has the supremely offensive anti-semitic questline that's so over-the-top about 'all the Jewish conspiracies are true!' that I don't understand how that ever got a pass. But it's not a glitch and certainly not funny.

The gnome conspiracy thing is a bit weird, yes. I can't exactly say how bad it is, because it's very clearly not finished(deliberately or otherwise). Gnomes(who represent a disproportionate amount of Tarant's industrial elite) can be interpreted as being meant to represent Jews, but I don't know that that was actually intended or not, and I wouldn't say it's blatant enough for it to be 100%. The half-ogre conspiracy quest has a build-up which might suggest that it's heading in the direction of "the gnomes are trying to replace everyone with half-ogres because they think they represent the ideal industrial worker", but there's no resolution to it. You find the facility where they've done medical experiments to try and produce half-ogres, it's abandoned, you read a couple of journals and then that's it. When you go back to the guy who gave you the quest, he's gone. Exactly what's going on or who exactly is involved is never explained.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BogDew posted:

I remember playing multiplayer Arcanum and deciding to do mage pistol duels.

I also recall early on in the game I was broke and had to sell off some decent magical gauntlets I was holding onto.

I discovered these would end up in a chest in the store owners house. This meant I could break in during the night, steal them and sell them back.

However having a very low lockpick skill made for many, many reloads.

the best way to get gold in arcanum was actually pretty funny: NPCs would pick up items that they found, and would equip them if they were better than the items they already had. Fairly early on you can find a pair of magical gauntlets which are cursed to do poison damage over time if you wear them. They have pretty good armour value, so if you drop them in front of an NPC, they'll wear them. You could go do this to every shopkeeper and rob them blind while they were dead, then just use the scrolls of resurrection you stole from the magic shop to revive them. Not only did this not count as a crime, reviving them would actually boost your relation with them enough that they'd give you a discount in the future.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

is IVAN the one with the artifact weapon mace that causes explosions when you swing it, but does not actually make you immune to those explosions. I've played A LOT of roguelikes and that's up there with my favorite weapons of all time.

Crawl also used to have that in the form of the artifact mace Firestarter, but I think that gives you at least SOME fire resistance now. That's still not the same as immunity, mind you.

crawl still has this, it's called the Devastator

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

I know there's a sword which has a chance when it hits to "Bring an End", which causes the message "Let's Ragnarok" to appear in the message log and fills the loving map with dragons and giants and poo poo who fight each other

(It's normally in the hands of some guy in a peaceful town, but there are a few ways to get enemies in there, even without player intervention. Last I checked, dirinking from wells/fountains could sometimes infect you with a chestburster, and NPCs would sometimes do that on their own. So a townsfolk gets chestbursted, and then the guy hits it with his sword, and WHOOPS TOWN'S RUINED)

This isn't actually a glitch, that's just how Elona loving rolls. I think you can actually restore the town by buying a nuke, nuking the town off the map, then waiting several in-game months for it to be rebuilt, though

In elona you can play music in front of people to earn money. If you fail the check, they'll throw a rock at you instead. The rock throw basically counts as a standard attack with some modifiers on it, which means that if you play music in front of this guy you can actually do so badly that you end the world. Also, even if ragnarok doesn't proc off of it the guy still has sky-high strength so he'll probably one-shot you with the rock anyway, which is great especially because this guy is in literally the first town.

Speaking of the first town: in Elona, you start with a pet. This can be a cat, dog, bear, or small child. Theoretically, they're supposed to follow you around and help you out in battle. In practice, there's an open well in the first town about 3 squares from the entrance and 100% of the time your pet will fall into it and die instantly the first time you go there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I looked up Elona, and it looks to be a game for sex perverts,

it's not a game for sex perverts but was probably made by one

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What is up with "You drink from a well. You taste something bad. You are pregnant"? :psyduck:

congratulations on your upcoming reenactment of the movie Alien

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm sure this guy never spent a cent.

it is entirely possible to play a game for that long without spending money on it and it is also entirely possible to rightly complain about the pay2win aspects of a game even if you're willing to play despite them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

put in a killstreak/combo system that does nothing but increase the size of the explosions when you kill things if you're doing well