Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I just want to say that I love the podcast. That's all. Love it.

Oh, and this is actually unrelated to the podcast, but a while ago I ordered a couple of books from Commonplace Books. My copy of What It Means To Be A Grown-Up was damaged, so I sent an email suggesting that you review your shipping practices and you sent me a new copy without me asking for it. So I want to say here where everyone can see it that that's very cool of you and I appreciate it.

Also the book of unused HP Lovecraft ideas is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I don't know if American scouts wear their ranks as badges or something, but if they do some of the Night Vale ranks would be pretty cool.

Also I think this latest episode was the most menacing one yet, at least the introduction to Street Cleaning Day. Or maybe the time station management was acting up has it beat, I'll have to listen through the whole series again soon.

I liked this episode's weather, too.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

End Of Worlds posted:

I know you're waiting to see a return on the shirts but holy poo poo this.
A map seems like such an obvious thing to put in the upcoming book, I think. I hope there's a map in there.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

That was Jeffrey actually. We originally did it with Lou of Lou Reads The Internet, who has a great voice, but we decided that Carlos was such a major character we wanted to keep his voice with someone who could be called up to do it last second at any point. It was actually Cecil who recommended Jeffrey, and I agree with him. Jeffrey has this great "expert" voice that I think works perfectly.
Just for the record, I really like Jeffrey/Carlos' voice, and when the voice mails started playing I got this big goofy grin on my face.

I also got my T-shirt the other day. It's nice, seems like good quality and all. Kind of big even when I got the smallest size though, but that's a minor complaint.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's up, I love the Brownstone Spire segment. And the weather caught me off guard, can't decide if I liked it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

If you don't like it, you don't like it. But if you're on the fence, seeing them do it live might tip you over to the positive side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI
I tend to like progressive rock, and Hella seems all right. I should probably get the whole album, that tends to work better for this sort of music than just a single song (in the middle of a talky radio show, no less).

You folks have gotten me into a bunch of music I wouldn't have discovered otherwise, so cheers. Wish I was in NYC for the party, I don't suppose there's anything either of you are involved in happening there during the second half of August?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

This American Life just hit 500 shows and did a big special, so it's not too surprising they'd get a boost. Hopefully Night Vale will be back on top soon.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Hey maxnmona, this isn't 100% related to Night Vale specifically but seems the best place to ask: are there any more collaborative, non-Night Vale books planned for Commonplace soon? I love A Commonplace Book of the Weird and put off What It Means To Be a Grown-Up for ages because the subject matter seemed boring until I finally picked it up the other day, and I'm loving it as well. So I'm just hoping you've got something more on the line. Still psyched for the Night Vale book though.

Also agreeing with everyone else that the last episode was simply adorable and heartwarming.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Regarding Cecil's appearance:

Commonplace Books FAQ posted:

WHAT DOES THE CHARACTER CECIL [OR KEVIN OR OLD WOMAN JOSIE OR _____] LOOK LIKE?

What do YOU think they look like?
Basically it's kind of pointless to discuss what someone looks like on the show, unless their appearance has been explicitly described they look however you want them to look.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Not necessarily 100% Night Vale related, but I saw the New York Neo-Futurists perform Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind during my recent visit to NYC and Cecil was on the night's cast (which I feel makes it fair game to bring up here). Can't say I expected to be handed a cup of Cecil Baldwin's penis water, but there you go.

Anyway it was pretty fantastic overall and I think most of you who enjoy Night Vale would also enjoy their show, so go see it if you're in NYC on a Friday or Saturday sometime.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

People usually refused to take the coffee, but Cecil told me that one night someone in a Night Vale t-shirt enthusiastically took it and seemed really excited about it.

...was that you?
That was me! I didn't know I seemed really excited about it, I just sort of accepted it when offered and politely thanked him for it. It's just proper manners, you know?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Annakie posted:

Along those same lines, I figured Carlos didn't think about Cecil much, and then after The Phone Call, when Carlos and Cecil met for coffee, Carlos told Cecil to stop talking about him on the radio, but they could be friends. After the Phone Call, Cecil doesn't talk about Carlos again until One Year Later, which is 9 episodes (and like 4.5 months) later. That would give them enough time to actually become friends, and Carlos would probably relent on the talking about him on the radio thing a bit. I've also seen a fan theory that Cecil dated Earl Hanlan (the Eternal Scout master) in there for a bit, which is why Earl said that they could have had something before the Eternal Scout ceremony (and that maybe that started to turn Carlos' feelings towards romantic.)

Probably overthinking it a bit, but I like that theory.
If we're talking about favourite fan theories, I like the one about Steve Carlsberg being Cecil's ex.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Voting for the T-shirt design contest has started. I personally don't really like any of the Cecil/Carlos shirts that made it to finals (I'd been really hoping for Lawrence Gullo's design, personally), but at least I voted for the intern shirt in the second category.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

The cool thing about contests is we can only use designs that were actually submitted to us. That it simply exists online isn't enough.
It was submitted! Was it lost somewhere in transit? Lawrence is a friend of mine and I know for a fact that he submitted it. He only shared it elsewhere online after submissions were closed to make sure nobody would steal it and submit it in their own name.

Edit: Checked with him and he definitely remembers submitting it. Of course if it just didn't qualify for finals that's one thing, but if it was lost somewhere on the way that's just really unfortunate.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fantastic episode. Also the contest winner shirts are now listed on Topatoco, I've already ordered my intern shirt.