Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

nurgle stuff

I was really impressed with his "Baron von Shoulderpads" bike but all the pictures I can find are pretty low quality and low light. Do you have any better pix of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Old Space Hulk Librarian figure?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The Sanguinary Priests of the Angels Sanguine pulled a Maury at the Drinkers' trial and proved that Rogal is not your baby's daddy. No idea who is, though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I've been painting my brother's Descent minis for him because I got the itch to paint, and he casually mentioned that he has the Dark Angels five-man sprue from the basic paint set.

I haven't played in something like over a decade. I am not a strong man.

I guess what I'm saying here is, how lovely are the actual Dark Angels nowadays?

EDIT: And/or: if I use a successor chapter, can I still use whatever the DA ruleset is?

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 4, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's kinda what I thought about DA. If I make this impending army some sort of successor chapter, do I have to use the DA rules or can I go with vanilla marines?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Well, to be honest, I was already looking at making a DA successor so these five dudes are sort of just a tip in the direction I was already thinking of going down. I know they're not going to define my army and that five dudes is a drop in the bucket. In the interest of avoiding sperginess, though, I may just do the color scheme I was thinking of and throw some blank shoulder pads on instead and run vanilla SM.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Those five dudes multiplied fast. I mentioned to one dude at work that I was thinking about getting back in and he gave me a box with some truly ancient pieces and a Rhino still in the plastic. From what I can tell, among the miscellenea the box contains a 1990 Ultramarines Captain, a Blood Angel Captain from the same year, a 3rd edition limited Space Marines captain with a power axe, the '91 Games Day captain, a few old Grey Knights, a Rogue Trader Librarian, and another old school Librarian that I can't identify. I guess I'm set for HQ choices...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It wasn't a librarian as I thought (I was posting from faulty memory), it's the Terminator Captain from the 80s. The actual model is being stripped right now, but this is the one:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I had been looking into doing the Third Street Saints idea that someone posted a while back as a color scheme, but it looks like SoB transfers are a thing of the past. If I really want to do this, should I just suck it up and learn to freehand these bad boys? Do people even use transfer sheets anymore?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Deviant, I would love those. PM me to hash this out.

Also, one of the models I got was this one - this isn't a picture of the actual model I have in possession, but it's at home and I'm at work. If anyone's interested, let me know.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Fearless posted:

See, I like the Ultramarines being just straight up heroes. It contrasts well with the 40k ambiance, especially where everyone and their dog (or Space Wolf) has some sort of crazy gimmick or flaw.

I kind of dig the fact that their by-the-book, "we made the rules and so we embody the rules" image kind of breaks down if you look at it too hard. First there's the non-standard Tyrannic War Veterans, and then there's the fact that pretty much every interesting Ultra character has admitted that the Codex isn't the be-all, end-all. I also get the distinct impression that many of their Successor Chapters could be folded back into the main Chapter to re-form a Legion without much fuss at all if they really wanted.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Having been tempted back into the hobby, I've read through the basic rulebook and the SM Codex. I think I've largely got my footing, but I had a few questions:

1) The errata for the Codex mentions that a Librarian can take Psychic Disciplines from the main book instead of the SM Codex, but I don't actually see any Psychic Disciplines in the Codex. Am I drunk or am I missing something?

2) Reading back through the thread, it sounds like the general consensus regarding Tac squads is to run a full 10 man squad with a meltagun and a multi-melta. Is this still the general ? Also, if I run one squad with this setup and one with flamers, am I setting myself up for disappointment?

3) If you had to give one piece of advice to a dude just getting into the game who hasn't played since 3rd Edition, what would it be? I'm looking for anything ranging from "you must get XYZ unit because it's the tits" to "here's a rookie mistake that every newb makes, don't do it."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Hope this helps a little:
1. The errata is actually for the old codex and isn't valid anymore. Not sure why it's still up, but GW hasn't done anything with their FAQs for a while.

Thank you! This is what I get for trusting that Googling "Space Marine codex 6th edition errata" would get me the right document. It looks like maybe what I had was some document revising the 5th Edition codex to come up to par with the new edition, then.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

So is the general anti-flyer advice for Space Marines simply to grab an Aegis Defence Line and Quad Gun, then? It seems like it's the most bang for your buck, given that it has Interceptor.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Well, that makes sense. I went back and looked; somehow I missed that all Flyers can choose to switch all their weapons to Skyfire for a phase. I didn't really see much point in Stormtalons before but now they look amazing (especially with a Skyhammer).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I definitely don't think I'd run the Assault Centurions for all the reasons listed above, but part of me really wants to run a squad of Grav-cannon Devastator Centurions (possibly with a Land Raider DT if the points allow) though I suspect that may be ill-advised.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

What about splitting the squad's weapons up and giving one of them the TL lascannon? With an Omniscope on the sergeant you could alleviate the short range somewhat. Or, hell, spend the points and get the MLs if you have room for it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

I hatelove you Goons.

What have I done... what... have I become?

I read this thread and it convinced me to get back into the game entirely. I feel your pain. (At least the thread warned me before buying a drop pod, though.)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I thought you can't charge in the same turn that you run?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm going to guess it's in Seattle, because EVERYTHING seems to have a liquor license there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'd be interested in any and all bikes but I'd like to shop around for local charities first and see what's legit. We have a lot of charities in the area for homeless or at-risk youth but I suspect some of them put a little more effort in than others.

EDIT: Lungboy makes a good point. I'm in the US, so if you're in the UK I would bow out of the running to prevent prohibitive shipping costs.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 19, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm trying to get a sort of classic stereotypical Russian Streltsy / Cossack look for the faces of my Marines - think like the Astartes equivalent of the Vostroyan Firstborn. What are my best bets for headswaps for this? My gut says that I should probably be able to find some Space Wolves heads with ridiculous mustaches and just trim off the mohawks or whatever, but I didn't know if maybe there was some third party alternative.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

high six posted:

So, I want to try making cloaks/robes for my new Guardians of the Covenant out of green stuff.

Where do you guys get green stuff for modeling that isn't from GW and doesn't cost my left kidney?

I am very interested in the answer to this question. I spent the last week searching every craft store and hobby store in my area for the stuff and ended up having to fork over to the one hobby store that even carried green stuff.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Hardware and plumbing supply stores carry cheaper equivalents to greenstuff, it's just not called that there - Kneadatite is the proper name, miliput is a cheaper alternative recommended to me (I need something cheap for my basius pads soon)

Yeah, I checked the big chain hardware stores for kneadatite but stupidly I didn't check the local Ace hardware. I need to stop there anyway to see if they have a 1 mm pin vise bit anyway so I guess I can kill two birds with one stone.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Are the FW army lists totally legit to use in WH40k games? Resident Shitlord can't stamp his feet at me?

Absolutely, and if he gives you any poo poo grab the copy of Imperial Armour that has the unit in it, and show him this.

FAKE EDIT: also don't play with shitlords

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I've been unable to find any really good tips for making up a chapter/company banner on the computer. Searching for them seems to turn up mostly banner creation in DoW or a set of defunct files. Does anyone have any resources or tips for doing so in Photoshop or Illustrator (or even MS Publisher)?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I was literally just shopping around for what to get to model a Captain/Chapter Master on a Bike. Think it's going to be the Vanguard Veterans top with a Storm Shield and Power Sword for the Captain and a Thunder Hammer and Shield Eternal for the Master. Now I just have to resist the temptation to have him doing a kickin' wheelie. If I was doing a comedy option I'd have the front wheel landing and him holding on to the handlebars while flying back.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

I use Stormtalons for anti-flyer duty in my SM force. They tend to shred whatever's in the sky, and are great for ground targets as well.

I'm looking to do that as well. What loadout do you typically use?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's exactly what I thought. One of my friends said I should go with regular missile launchers, but the Skyhammer is too sexy not to use. I'm going to magnetize the weapons loadouts anyway but I doubt I'll be taking the Skyhammer off.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

That guy from a while ago? Came back for his army.

Jesus, dude, don't leave us hanging!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The damage on the auto- and las- guns/pistols is comparable but the las guns typically have bigger clips and are less likely to jam though they have no armor penetration.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If bolters crush unaugmented humans, no one tell the Commissars. Or the Sisters of Battle. Or the Arbites.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hell, look at the IG Gunnery Sergeant, he's not augmented and he's still jacked enough to carry a Heavy Bolter with no bipod or tripod or anything.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

What's the best method nowadays for buying bits given the whole moratorium on bits in stores? Are there any online retailers, or am I stuck with eBay? Or, perhaps, should I set up a thread in SA-Mart and link it here?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sadly, Hoard doesn't seem to have some of the newer items like Vanguard Veterans bits, which is what I'm looking for. I may use them to get some heavy weapons, though...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If I ever decide to base coat a vehicle by hand again, someone please shoot me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, no kidding. I just finished basecoating a Tau tank...

Purple basecoat over black primer takes a lot of thinned coats to show properly. On that note, is the army painter purple spray the same color as Liche/Xereus Purple or is it closer to Genestealer Purple?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Another lesson to myself - always check which hand goes with the combi-melta before you cut the hand off the existing model. (In my defense, I didn't actually have the combi-melta when I cut off the hand.) It's not like I can't fix the problem but god-drat I feel like a grade-A idiot.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That was exactly my thinking, yeah, but eBay seems to have only the right-handed stuff. I couldn't have used the hand that came with the model anyway since it was a biker model, and I've got a couple spare left hands that I could slap on there after removing the hand that comes with the combi-melta. Still feels like a schoolboy error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My only possible thought regarding the Crimson Slaughter Codex is that they want to follow off of the Dark Vengeance set for inexplicable reasons.

• Locked thread