Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Since this is a new thread, I'm going to just take a moment to reiterate that if they turn out another Dynasty Warriors game on the Vita that has gimmick bullshit touch screen / gyroscopic mini-games that you cannot opt out of, it'll be the DW game I don't buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Oh hey, here's a new gameplay video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors. A third of it is a tutorial as it's the first stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwiPg-epdw

Blu-ray release for Europe in September, PSN release for North America presumably in the Summer.

Don't like the anime a bit (lol at the pissing match I remember some halpless devoted fan engaging me in, in the previous thread), but this is pretty much what I expected to see in a One Piece 'Warriors' adaptation. I am looking forward to it!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Since we're speculating again about other decent historical settings / people of interest that KOEI should consider for future Warriors installments, I think they should have a Warriors Orochi that pulls across a broader expanse of time to soak in some more heroes from much more distant eras. Hittites, Assyrians, Sumerians, Phoenicians, Egyptians, Romans, Huns, Vandals, Franks etc... There's a good pile of notable heroes to come out of all of those eras that could also provide a lot of stylistic / weapon flare.

Plus, it could invest a bit of actual historic curiosity and respect. Whereas courtesy of reading some dry-assed world history texts in high school and college gave me a general understanding of the 3 kingdoms period of China, I became curious about specific officers and the fictionalized novel courtesy of the games. I would think that there would be a net gain in there somewhere when a person pauses and thinks that there must be more to Ramesses II, than a 7 foot tall bare chested wrecking machine that shoots lasers from his eyes and fire from a khopesh.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The GIG posted:

I could be just me, but in WO3 does the Samurai Warriors Muosu attacks seem very weak? It honestly feels stronger to just do the Muosu special attacks most of the time.

Depends on the warrior, because Ginchiryo's musou is devastating in fights with generals, and is a joy to behold the combo meter when you catch about twenty halpless fuckers in it and watch them bounce away.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

For those of you that enjoy the 'gotta repeat this map like twenty times and get a better score' aspect, enjoy a bit of grind for character development, and like brawlers with a variety of combos, I want to slightly derail a bit and suggest 'Lollipop Chainsaw' is a decent stop-gap for those of us between *Warriors titles. I picked it up after sufficient peer pressure from a couple friends, and really enjoyed it. It reminded me in numerous small ways of the things I enjoy in a good *Warriors title, so I figured I'd plug it a tiny bit here.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Gracia on Horseback has always been a roaming death machine, in all of her appearances. Zhou Tai in his DW5-style incarnations was also death on a horse despite no horseman styled backstory. It only really makes sense on Ma Chao. :v:

Gracia's back story is that she is Mitsuhide Akechi's daughter who after his death was sent off to a remote location. She converts to Catholicism after Hideyoshi outlaws it, Mitsunari Ishida tries to capture her as a hostage, her retainers kill her and them themselves, because suicide is a sin in Catholicism.

Being a Christian of course, means KOEI decides to make her a magic hurling sorceress. This is why these games are stupid awesome.

My first experience with her, was with the 3DS Samurai Chronicles, and my impression was she was some absurd, fluffy, fisticuffs / gymnastic type. I thought it was loving bizarre, because I was aware of the really tragic history of the real Gracia.

I've also not been able to get past thinking of Nobunaga as Soundgarden's Chris Cornell, tearing up Japan. But that one's on me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that Nobunaga has magic powers because he was also interested in foreign sorcery, i.e. Christianity.

It's not just sorcery, it's EVIL sorcery at that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If you go by that screenshot Cao Ren is also apparently a Krogan.

He's looked like that for a while?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I entertain the scantest hope that around the time I feel like playing WO3 again, the costume packs will be bundled together and on sale.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The GIG posted:

Dynasty Warriors won't end until they have mapped through the history of China and literally made every person in Chinese military history a playable character.

EDIT: By the way, Sun Tzu should be a secret unlockable one of these days.

Or Sun Bin, whose weapon is a magic karate wheelchair.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

Hell, doesn't even need to be a political figure either.

Imagine if Bruce Lee was in a Warriors game? :swoon:

Guan Suo. Ling Tong.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Argh gently caress you, Koei. Still not getting a Wii U.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I never watched Gundam-anything and I really enjoyed DW:G 1 through 3. I expected the story was going to be convoluted, gappy and nonsensical. I've taken in a couple episodes of english-dubbed One-Piece courtesy of the show being on Hulu Plus and my kid liking it, but I don't care for it. I expect a poorly-arranged timeline of the manga/anime, but I expect if at the core of it there's a good ole KOEI beat em up in there, I'll get my money's worth.

I am also further qualifying that since it's not on Vita, I won't have to worry about bullshit gimmick touch-screen events that I'd undoubtedly grow infuriated with. I'm looking forward to it, even mostly ignorant of the anime.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My psn download and install of One Piece finished, giving me just 20mins to play it before I had to get to work. On the first map I think I witnessed the qte's pissing people off, but I managed to get through them perfectly, and I noticed they have a very gimmicky way of warning you to get ready to do some control pad fiddly poo poo. Overall, it's nowhere near as infuriating as DW Next's touch screen or gyroscopic garbage. ESPECIALLY the gyroscopic garbage. A-ranked it on the first try, missing S only because I took too long to finish the map while settling in to the controls.

If that first, brief tutorial is any indication of what's to come, I'll probably enjoy this one.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

RoTK12 is on PC, PS3, and Wii U but they probably aren't gonna see US release.

It'd be such a great fit on the Vita. A game like that you could spend probably the whole campaign poking at the screen for options instead of using the gamepad options.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

After reading that wiki on Yue Jin, I'm wondering how the hell it is he wasn't in at the start, let alone in after bullshit like Bao Sanniang.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

:siren: New DW8 Characters! :siren:

You say you wanted more late characters, well here you go.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/04/dynasty-warriors-8-shows-off-three-all-new-characters/

We got 2 kids of Guan Yu and 1 of Zhang Fei.

Also the Elemental system changes look interesting.

Well, I hope at least these kids aren't the same bishie/teenage kawaii bullshit we got out of Guan Suo and Bao Sanniang.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chachi posted:

Considering Guan Xing looks a lot like Xing Cai in that scanned magazine page, you may not want to hold your breath :ughh:

I thought he looked a bit like a rejected costume palette for Zhao Yun. 'Double mace' makes me think they're likely just going to do a lazy import of Fukushima Masanori's moveset.

In any case don't worry about me suffocating. I've been in one long, perpetual sigh for years now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ding Feng may have suffered from the ridiculous 'big meathead guy is gay' trope, but I think he was my favorite new guy. He may have been a flower-loving ponce in his general interactions, but I loved the raw brutality of his proprietary moveset.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, I always thought Gan Ning would fit the arm blade better, considering he's a pirate and the arm blade is a boat.

More on that, Huang Gai should always be wielding a big assed anchor as a weapon. Not sure I'm on board with that change.

It's probably karminc balance though for a majority of good things in that list. Some of those reassignments appear to just be bringing back some familiar weaponry to their original characters- Cao Ping's doublesword (listed as new but iirc his first appearance was with a doublesword), Guan Yu's crescent blade (as it loving should be), Yueying's dagger axe, to name a few examples. Ling Tong getting a new wonky kung fu weapon is a pretty good choice I feel also.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

socialsecurity posted:

I just realized what the next Warriors Orochi is going to be, Warriors Zombie all of the Heroes who died come back as evil zombies with evil zombie armies.

I had a brief imagining of a DW game based off of characters from Romero / Savini movies, and the Walking Dead that seems to be getting an absurd amount of hero worship amongst my FB relations. It could work.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suben posted:

I'm actually really liking Han Dang's design. Him and Lu Su both aren't overly flashy in any way which in this series helps them stand out a lot from the other characters.

Ha, that chain belt reminds me of that saxophone dude from The Lost Boys. I am never not going to think of this guy as Tina Turner's weight lifting saxophonist.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

In happy news for cool bros who are waiting for Dynasty Warriors 8, check out the 3 new cast additions: Yue Ying, Xu Shu, and Wei Yan.

Xu Shu there looks like Ma Dai with a haircut, better posture, and wardrobe consultation.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chortles posted:

Which is pretty important considering how often "warrior who would end the chaos and bring peace to the land" is the by-far most dominant personality trait... if not some characters' de facto ONLY personality trait.

I've always been partial to Zhang Liao's "HONOR! FIGHTING! LET'S FIGHTING HONOR FIGHT! *serious grimaces everywhere*" thing. An amusing juxtaposition of propriety, restraint, and pure assbeating bloodlust.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bloodly posted:

I dunno, the sheer oddness of his Superman impersonation(Seriously, you hear it you half expect a transformation) from 5 has always stuck with me.

"This looks like a job for Zhang Liao!"

How could that not do anything except endear you.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

Zhang Liao is my favorite dude from the Three Kingdoms. Or maybe Guan Yu. Or Sima Yi.

poo poo I don't know, but Zhang Liao gets bonus points for being a god damned wrecking ball in DW7 and WO3.

My favorite part of WO3 is putting a pair of electric guitars in his hands.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going to guess $50 for NA because that's what One Piece Warriors dropped in at.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know in my head that it's been like three years since DW7 but when I watch that trailer it feels like I was just watching trailers for DW7 yesterday. I dunno...maybe I will wait on it after all.

Also, I honestly don't know why weapon switching is still in. When it wasn't present in Orochi, I figured it was because they got a big fan backlash and abandoned the idea. Japanese fans are saying the same thing I am, that it reduces character's individuality and that's their selling point.

Weapon switching is a laugh for most of the cast, but it's nice for when a character has a lovely EX on a lovely weapon and you're content to use something else they're 3-starred in to get by. Otherwise I've just considered the 'secondary weapon' to be more slots for affixes.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zhuge Dan's thing is constantly looking like he's trying to be the most serious person on earth, while trying to power-poo poo an enormous pine cone.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Earlier last year for the anniversary Koei said they were making a Samurai Warriors 4.

And later this year it'll be announced to be Japan-only, Wii U direct download exclusive...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

Despite making this thread I've never been a big fan of Samurai Warriors but I picked it up for the 3DS I got for Christmas, cause why not? I've actually had more fun with it than any of the other 3DS games I have. It's switching mechanic is surprisingly fun and the levels are designed around it. The only problem is friendship grinding but that's par for the course in modern Warriors games.

Seconded. I have a 250 hour savefile on that game, and that's all from playing on public transit or breaks on work. It's one of the few games that had touch-screen controls that felt intuitive and useful, as opposed to the shoehorned gimmicky bullshit with the Vita's DW:Next.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Glanced fast and saw 'Buttride War', which would've had me clammoring to import it just for shelf esthetics.

edit: I looked at the screens they attached, and they really don't sell the game too well. The 'action'y ones, didn't look very kinesthetic at all. It suggests that the animations are going to be wooden, and the postprocessing effects look phoned in.

5er fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

Zhang He is one of my favorite characters and I hope they don't ever get rid of his fabulousness. It actually makes him unique from the other generals, who are all either pretty boys or gruff men (e: I guess some are girls, too). Not that there's anything wrong with either, but some flavour is nice now and again. :wink:

Homicidal poncy esthetic-obsessed bishy guy (e.g., Vega from SF, Kojiro's treatement in Samurai Warriors- reaching back, Kuja from FFIX) is such a common cookie cutter personality shape for a Japanese video game character that I hardly feel he's all that unique of a snowflake.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

Yes, but he's unique within the series itself regardless of it's uniqueness without. Mellowing him would remove any personality he has within the series.

That's only assuming it is impossible to transplant him with a new, more amenable personality. If they swapped in yet another bishie-teenager-saves-ancient-China bullshit persona for him, that'd be far less palatable. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it a great loss to see another boring 'blood is so pretty and so am I lol let's kill' character from the world, in general.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

I dunno it kinda felt like it just creeped up on me all of a sudden. Like I took a look around and realized like 9/10ths of Jin look like they belong on Ancient Chinese Vogue and like some dudes are reciting poetry and I'm now just realizing holy poo poo what is Zhang He going to do if Koei suddenly decides to transform Han Dang into like a 20 something silk-wearing Confucian poet.

Zhang He always had that creeper mccreepy aspect going for him that I didn't just associate him in the standard 'pretty boy' vein that the characters you cite adequately fill. The personality disparity made the difference for me.

edit: all that being said, I wouldn't trade anything for the loving bizarre and entertaining 'friend' dynamic he has going in 7 with Xiaohou Yuan.

double edit: :respek:Chortles

5er fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Amongst the DW, SW and Sengoku Basara series, are there any direct descendants that have taken mortal offense at some of the less kind depictions? I would think someone of the Naoe lineage would get pissed at Kanetsugu's rough handling in SB.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

'Stealth' is the last game mechanic a musou game should ever try to indulge in. Where they shine for me (and I suspect I'm not alone) are with missions that are like the highest difficulty ones available in DW7's conquest mode- maps with 3 to 5000 grunts and every loving general in the game gunning for you.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

If it's one phenomena I adore the most about when a *.Warriors game hits metacritic, is that scores hardly ever creep past 58. Meanwhile they're the games that I dump 80 hours into and finish up with a 95% to 100% complete save file (though, gently caress 100%'ing WO2).

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Boy howdy have I failed at properly paying attention. Somehow through careless half-reading and otherwise not bothering to read anything at all and just a dash of preconceptions based on Pirate Warrior's NA release, I was under the impression that HnK2 was going to come out as a PSN exclusive... some day. Imagine my surprise when I go look at reviews, realize they're for the XBox, and that it's out on hardcopy. Derp, time to visit a GameStop after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

At least they are starting to make reference to him being an angry drunk. In one of the stages in DW7XL, Lu Bu says "You're head would look good on my mantle! If you can drag it out of the wine cask long enough!" which is pretty much my favorite line ever.

I also noticed through DW7 that Zhang Fei was the first and most frequent to suggest going out and getting drinks. Progress?