Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Do they have the money to work with the Tolkien estate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Chortles posted:

... well, I have just been horrified to find that the yaoi fangirls aren't limited to Dynasty Warriors or even to English or Japanese speakers... apparently the Chinese fanbase for "slash" of the 2010 series is loving massive. :stare:

It's a massive amount of men of power who do lots of things, some manly, some not. Why is this surprising?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Policenaut posted:

First look at Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2.

Promo materials really seem to emphasize that one dude from later in the show being here. You know, that one defender of the last successor or whatever and there were like 6 of them and each of them had a weird feature and he was the one who was really lazy and stuff. I've forgotten who he is. Anyway they show off a little of the "manga style" here.

Juza of the Clouds. The one guy to truly screw with Raoh-insulting him half the time, stealing his Horse, and in the anime lasting the longest of anyone against him.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That's never stopped people from showing up-Lu Bu was a secret opponent in Samurai Warriors 1, for instance. A little thing, to be sure. Even so, it feels like they might have wanted this for a bit.

I look forward to seeing the Dynasty/Samurai/Northstar Warriors crossover.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The problem's more that they're showing up, if that makes sense.

Only in very few cases did the mains for the various factions meet, let alone fight, more than once. Vs Souther was a very special case in all respects, as was Raoh. So we get people showing up, then running off.

quote:

NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE HOKUTO NO KEN 2 EXISTS!

We get Falco. Also the possibility of Ein. I have few complaints.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

With a Revolving Halberd Car, one DOES simply drive into Mordor.

so sorry

One day we will have LOTR meets Dynasty Warriors. Part of you knows this, part of you wants this.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The weirdest thing about HnK for me is just how soon after the apocalypse it takes place, like ten years or so. What on earth were all those people doing back in the normal, modern Japan? Were all those guys with spiked shoulder pads and mohawks normal salarymen back then, or what? And were there people all over the modern world running around offing each other with super magic martial arts head exploding poo poo? I totally want to hear more about what life was like before the bomb in HnK world.

I do remember there were a few scenes even in the original with them as adults. I remember Raoh in a fairly normal vest(Probably the only thing that could fit). Ken's shirt was as it was.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

kissekatt posted:

My name is ZHANG LIAO, and I am here to FIGHT! :krad:

I dunno, the sheer oddness of his Superman impersonation(Seriously, you hear it you half expect a transformation) from 5 has always stuck with me.

"This looks like a job for Zhang Liao!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

5er posted:

How could that not do anything except endear you.

...It does, that's the point.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

There needs to be more of his 'quality', perhaps. Insight and such. It's odd, but I look at Yuan Shao's start cutscene back in DW4 where he gets Yuan Shao to do something rather than whine about it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Random: you know what would be interesting? Old maps in the new style. Maps/objectives/etc from say 4 or 5, but re-tuned(enemy count and such) to fit the new standards of Dynasty Warriors.

The one that comes to mind is DW4's Nanman Campaign(It'd either be "REVENGE!" or :gonk:), but I'm sure there are other versions people would like to see.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

...Wait, I forget-what's the Bodyguard/NPC system this time? I don't think it was mentioned.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcA82snO_qQ&list=FLHddX145Go9O1u4vlUuO4ug&index=25

This was posted in-thread earlier(I believe), but given his voice actor passed recently, it seems fair to put it up again in memory.

Sima Yi is just so happy to be killing dudes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

From walkthrough footage I've seen, it's Dynasty Warriors 7 or 8(Shang Xiang has her bow, Primary and secondary weapon type) with greater air combat(Everyone can get about 3-5 jumps and dashes, with Musou Mode adding another. On the one hand, it looks and feels crazy. Yay Wuxia/Dragonball! On the other hand, platforming is a thing later on in the game)+Diablo(Grinding for gear, or rather, grinding for shops that sell gear and parts to make that gear-a lot more palatable to some than your standard Randomly Drops, not so for others).

The thing is made for multiplayer. There are ways the game compensates in singleplayer(You can have a team of allied officers that you can also equip out-four times the equip to get, but I imagine it feels more awesome), but from reading I did, the game apparently treats the AI characters as real characters and scales HP appropriately.

There's a very large amount of missions, though, so it's not like you're being short-changed on that kind of front. It's just you'll need to re-run them for stuff, and that's nothing new in Dynasty Warriors.

I'd consider it myself if I had the systems it came out on, but I don't.

I'm sure someone will call me out on any BS I may have inadvertently said.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 27, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Selane posted:

Whenever someone complains about DW's outfits being bad or unrealistic, I'm going to link them that image.

Frankly, I regard them about the same, looking at that lot.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh gently caress it just put the entire Soul Calibur cast in while you're at it.

Siegfried vs Nightmare vs Fu Xi.

I'd watch it.

I'd love to see how Cervantes would work in a field battle.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That'd be odd. In the time he's been Generic, he's always been able enough and hardly skeezy at all. I'm reminded of DW....6 or so? Where he noted that sure Lu Bu 'united the land', but didn't replace the turbulence with anything, mostly because he didn't want to.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Because the horse just took a spear to the brain. It's dead already.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Calax posted:

But it's Red Hare. It doesn't die until Guan Yu ascends to a higher plane.

I can't tell you, I'm not the one who had Red Hare take a spear through the head.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Well, it depends. Do your allies get NPC benefits when uncontrolled? And for that matter, given I've not been tracking the series well, are NPC benefits a thing anymore? Things like charging up when a target's knocked down to get a free heal or power-up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

So it's Samurai Warriors again, with allies? Eh. They were so-so in 1, and I know nothing of 2 and onwards.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

...For some reason I now have the Terminator 2 opening theme in my head, and I can't think why.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well that's a weird thing to see first thing after waking up. I wonder what Midna will fight like.

Basically, how will anyone other than the people we have already seen in Smash or whatever fight?

Depends who they call up. Nabooru's a shoe-in since the Gerudo have a fight-style already circa Ocarina. The various masks from Majora mean their races(Zora, Goron, Deku) have a fight style to draw on if they don't feel like being more original. I can imagine Zelda fighting like Yuan Shao(Complete with "Insolence!" and "BOW YOUR HEAD!" quotes). Then again, this is Dynasty Warriors version Hyrule. I fully expect to see, for instance, Malo(The kid in Twilight Princess who becomes a shopkeeper) kicking rear end and taking names.

Looking at this, I see a variant of Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, which seems to be no bad thing-at least-from the footage I watched of Strikeforce.

I look forward to seeing how this goes. It looks 'pure', but I'm sure Lu Bu will show up somehow, some way.

It may also be as/more strong on single-player than a 'normal' Musou game. I'm presuming based on that treasure bit at the end.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

At the minute it's 'less' simply because half the crazy was mixing Pokemon into Nobunaga's Ambition. With more detail, this could rise.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Am I being dumb when I say 'who else is doing games like this?'?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, Capcom's Basara series, but it is becoming less similar to those games all the time. Yeah, Koei has the market for this kind of game more or less cornered, and thus no serious motive to innovate. If there was a better game where you could run around real battlefields as mythical historical figures slaying bazillions of people and yelling about ultimate justice or whatever, but technically and gameplay superior to the Musou series, I'd be playing that instead.

I tend to think of them as '3D walk-along-beat-em-ups, with objectives'. Ken's Rage and things like Bladestorm and even that old 'Total Warrior' thing Sega did make me think this more. There were attempts earlier, of course. I'm sure there's plenty I've missed. Not quite like Musou, of course.

I wonder why KOEI/Omega have been the only ones?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly Musou is a pretty loving low bar from a gameplay perspective so its embarrassing that no one has done better. Even Basara is just another kind of bad, really.

That seems...harsh. You can say that about a lot of things. It's no worse than Final Fight(As a 'for instance'). Especially since the series(From the outside-ain't played since 5) is turning more and more towards fighting alone against a horde rather than helping allies. Then again, turning away from that means we don't get hell like DW4 Nanman. Good or bad?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mmmm. I take your point. I don't tend to get to that point as much. I still ain't gotten everything(Stages and characters included) in DW4, have only done up to Hard(no Chaos) in DW5 and don't have all ultimate weapons(Mostly slower people or people who I have issues getting it or where the stage itself is a pain).

So in many ways I both have and have never had that kind of issue. I guess I'm a bad player. The 'Normal game' is good/bad enough. Lots of dangerous moments later on. It's why I always wonder when I read about how eay the game is or how they crush everything everywhere. Never been in quite that situation.

...Wish I could play a newer one without buying a console too. See what it's like.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I was just thinking 'I'd like to get into these again but I can't buy a console just for that'.

4, 6 and 8. I guess the next one to come out on PC will be 10.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

It's not like the DW series is famous for difficulty.

Except in certain circumstances, of course.

It's been getting 'easier' but that's relative. You're killing more, but more and more it's about objectives. Simply killing isn't enough, because you often can't pull back missing objectives by being a killing machine. Mostly because they got rid of the morale boosts on killing.

The fuckery that was the DW4 Nanman Campaign couldn't and wouldn't happen as the game is today(I sound like I'm talking about an MMO...that's overly funny, really, given what happened with Online). It's a good thing...mostly.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 18, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

RentACop posted:

Ahaha, holy poo poo if that wasn't an unbelievable slog. Do everything right and still win by the skin of your teeth with barely any time left. I don't even remember what you unlocked by beating Meng Huo all eight times but it must've been worth it, it must've surely :ohdear:

And by this time your allies are actually earning earning 300, 400 or more kills because that was what was required to survive-getting your morale under control(Usually via objectives) that they could do so and become somewhat self-sustaining. This in a game where you usually earned maybe 50-200 kills yourself and getting 1000 was such an effort that doing it effectively auto-won the map by setting the entire ally force into max-morale super-mode.

It's a bad time. But also oddly memorable. You always remember the bad times more than the good.

...I still miss bodyguards.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 19, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Calax posted:

... Wouldn't you have been tossed into a duel each time he showed up the first time though? I remember that every time you saw a general the first time you were given a 60 second (or something) duel to take him down for double weapon xp.

... why do I remember this?

Dueling was a mess.

You leveled up and people in general would more and more often challenge you to a duel. You win, you kill the guy, get a morale up. You lose, you die. You refuse, take a morale loss. You time out, what happened was based on your rank/level. Lower ranks get a morale increase, mid-range get nothing, high ranks lost morale. And duels were deadly thanks to the counter system that everyone had(Attack while blocking. Someone hits you during the animation, invincible extra-strength counter) and grab specials. If people were super-powered, that carried over.

Oh yes, and in-battle saves weren't as useful as today.

Then you remember that even little troops were blocking and doing charges and were tougher in general....the game's changed a lot.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

These things are never permanent. It's just 'you get the effect of the ATKx2 powerup after 50 kills'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Bodyguards are a thing in Ambition mode.

How are they doing it? One super-guy or a little horde?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Koei doesn't give a poo poo about microsoft consoles and never will fyi

I still think it was weird that they put 5 on XBOX, but 5 Empires on 360.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

But then the troops would have to actually be useful whilst on-screen, which doesn't fly with current Dynasty Warriors where they're basically mindless barely-attacking 'why are you even here'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

PureRok posted:

Which really makes you wonder why they bother putting time limits on at all. I almost never have a level last longer that 15-ish minutes (except in the newer games where there are more events). It just seems like some weird arcade holdover or something.

You'd be surprised. Some of the longer missions can last that long, and especially on the harder difficulties and if things go wrong, you can be there a long time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

If it is the battle I am thinking of, I got around it by catching the attention of the officers, lead them back to the place you are supposed to engage them WITHOUT fighting them, then attack.

That'd fit. We had to do similar things back in the day also. And it wasn't 'broken scripting' it was the whole point of the exercise. Lure them to the trigger point, then kill.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

18 GB? Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I just hope it works with my Logitech thing from a little ago. Even shaped like a PS2 pad.