Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Thanks for the new thread; OP looks pretty good.

I've been playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII, VIII, and X, as well as watching the 1993 TV series for the last few weeks, and I've been thinking about picking up DW7, or maybe sharing Orochi 3 with a buddy. How is the online co-op in both games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Chachi posted:

I want to piggyback on this post and add that fans of Lu Su will love his portrayal in this series. He just dunks on everyone and it's pretty clear that he could have run rings around basically the entire Sun family were he a less honest person.

I always played as Lu Su in ROTK 7/8/10 because he was kind of a naive goof in the '93 series. So good for him; can't wait to start watching the 2010 version for this.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for this thread convincing me to try out DW7. It's definitely scratching an itch I didn't realize I had. I'll have to pick up Xtreme Legends sometime before the summer ends.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm not too familiar with the other games in the series, but I played a lot of ROTK 7, 8, and 10 (the "officer-living" ones).

In 7 and 8, you get one turn per month of the year. You get between 100-200 action points per turn, which you'll usually use on tasks such as jobs assigned by your prefect or liege ("Increase commerce by 600 in three months") or doing personal things such as visiting other areas or talking to other officers. ROTK 10 doesn't have action points, but every action takes a certain amount of days to complete, and it's very similar to the other two games, though it's a bit more organic feeling.

In 8, military and strategic decisions are only made during council sessions that take place at the beginning of each season. Spying, drafting, spreading rumors about enemy officers and diplomatic moves are the types of things that can only be done in council, which is also where domestic tasks are handed out to individuals. In 7 and 10, a prefect, liege, or warlord can march upon enemy cities at any time. The months tend to blur together in 7 and 10, though you will still be assigned specific tasks for a period of time in 10, unlike 7 where the prefect will just pop in and tell you to work the fields, you agree, and lose 50 action points that month.

Battles are typically slow in all three. Fights in 7 are pretty simplistic; maps are broken up into a square grid, and units can attack enemies to their right, left, front, and rear. If a unit has enemies on more than one side, they'll generally do more damage with their attacks. In 8, there is a bit more flexibility, but fights in general feel more cluttered and confusing than 7. I haven't done any battles in 10 because there is an option to skip them and I'm a weirdo who does that. There are also campaigns in 10, where you call on the prefect of each city in the nation to attack another region. Basically, once you have a good-sized nation, you can steam-roll any smaller one. I haven't spent a lot of time fighting in 10, but I hear it's kind of hosed up and there is something seriously wrong with the AI that was only fixed in the Japanese version.

I think each has its strengths and weaknesses. ROTK X wins in terms of presentation and making you feel connected to the world. I spent several in-game years just roaming the land and becoming the greatest debater/bandit-killer in China (the debate mini-game is hilarious and kind of addicting, but only present in 10) until Cao Cao grew fond of me and swore brotherhood after he invited me over for drinks. I advised two (very boring) campaigns which quickly united the land and ended the game.

The year that I moved from my home town, I had nothing but a PS2, a copy of GTA3, Dynasty Warriors 3, and ROTK VII. After I got used to all the poorly documented features, I spent all of my days playing warlord, which pretty much gives you free reign over a nation, raising troops here, planning attacks there. You could also cheat in 7 by controlling more than one officer, which you aren't able to do on the fly in 8 and 10. It's good for getting yourself out of jams caused by some janky gameplay decisions, or to custom build your own faction by annexing regions wholesale.

ROTK VIII is what I've been playing recently. It's also the one that I've never legitimately beaten because it seems too easy to get into a stalemate. But it feels like there's more depth to its strategy than 10, and a better "life-simulator" than 7. It's kind of like a stepping stone, though more similar to 7.

If I were you, I'd check out any footage you can find on YouTube for either 7 or 10. If you want to screw around and debate pirates into letting you across the river, 10 might be a better choice. If you want to gradually push your territory across the Yangtze River, one city at a time, 7 or 8 (or XI or XII for that matter) might work out for you.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I feel like I'm cheating by using Combat Resistance seals. Feels like it breaks the game. Even without them, though, I rarely block.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Wonder who the new-looking Wei character is. Maybe Yu Jin or Yue Jin?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Wasn't Cao Zhi just a drunk and a poet, whereas Cao Zhang fought a lot of campaigns in the north?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Without a copy of DW7, you won't be able to access the whole "Remix" thing, which just means you won't be able to play the original Story modes or Conquest mode. I like having Conquest available in order to grind out extra money or XP, but now that I think about it, I guess you could just do that with some of the stages in XL; I just never bothered trying because some of the Conquest stages are really efficient for that sort of thing.

I think XL is best explained as porting the structure of DW3 or 4 into 7's engine; it's just a chain of levels in chronological order. Some are the big, historical battles (Hu Lao Gate from DW6 comes to mind; I'll check for the others), and some are character-centric (Da Qiao/Xiao Qiao helps Sun Ce/Zhou Yu on the battlefield; Dong Zhuo escapes to re-establish the capital; Guo Jia oversees the defeat of Yuan brothers), but you can use whoever you want.

EDIT: I just checked and some of the big battles are represented in weird ways.
+Hu Lao Gate can be played from either side.
+Fan Castle can be done as Wei, Wu, or Shu.
-Yellow Turban Rebellion can only be done from the side of the rebels.
-Red Cliffs can only be done as Xiao Qiao (you protect Zhuge Liang during the prayer ceremony).
-I think you can only do Guan Du as Wei.
•I'm not sure about the later ones, because I haven't unlocked them yet. None of this will probably bother you if you don't really care about exactly when or where you go in order to beat up a bunch of ancient Chinese dudes, especially if you've already played story mode in DW7.

The big question is if you feel like re-leveling your characters and equipment that you would've had from importing a save from DW7 (I'm not sure if you'd have all characters unlocked without importing; if not, I assume you unlock that character once you reach their Legend stage or whatever they're called). Otherwise, all you lose are Conquest mode and the Story mode from 7, but you could always just load Story mode up on your 360, right?

I liked unlocking weapons and seals, but having to grind out XP to unlock charge moves and musou attacks is so unnecessary, so it's something to keep in mind if you invested a poo poo-ton of time with DW7.

I'm a weirdo, so I got a platinum in DW7, which means acquiring all weapons, seals, and leveling up all characters; I couldn't imagine having to level all of my favorites all over again. On the plus side, when I loaded that save into XL, I think I still had things to buy since you can eventually spend money on leveling up characters' stats and their ability to use different weapons.

Tequila posted:

From what I can tell you lose XL's version of the musou mode, but XL only needs to check for the 7 disc once to unlock it.

It has to check for the disc whenever you want to play Story or Conquest after booting it up. I think after doing it a couple times, it'll keep it in memory, but it'll eventually ask you again. Not sure what causes it. Kind of a moot point, anyway, since it won't work with a 360 disc in a PS3.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 29, 2012

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I played as my strategist once. I wasn't able to give orders and I don't think I was able to use stratagems. Maybe someone could clarify the finer points of the ruler/marshal/strategist/prefect dynamic. I've only been playing as a ruler, so I have no idea if appointing people to those positions even does anything.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
In private, I often catch myself laughing in a similar way to how Sima Yi laughs in Three Kingdoms 2010. Anybody who sits through that series will grow fond of ol' bug eyes, I'm sure.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Question about DW8. Is there any bullshit system where you're limited in how many attacks you can perform fresh out of the gate? Like, how in DW7, you have to spend skill points to unlock the fifth and sixth normal and charge attacks? I hate crap like that.

VVVVVVVV EDIT: Good to hear; sounds manageable enough.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 15, 2013

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Charles Martel posted:

I mentioned this before. I've been watching it all week at work since all of the episodes seem to be on YouTube for free. I was hooked after the first couple episodes and am at the part where Lu Bu is about to kill Dong Zhao over Diao Chan.

Cao Cao is my favorite character so far, though.

Wait until you see how he deals with Yuan Shao. One of the high points of that series.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Hooks posted:

The Cao Cao and Yuan Shao moment is my favorite, and also the time when Zhuge Liang gives a guy such an :iceburn: that he keels over dead on the spot. :lol:

Thanks for that .gif! Here's Zhuge Liang vs Wang Lang in the 1993 series, which I'm fond of for its pure hamminess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-W06fiwlo&t=80s

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Samurai Sanders posted:

Koei ran a somewhat strange official character poll, the results are here. From left to right, the tabs across the top are "who do you want as a sibling/friend/boss/boyfriend/girlfriend".

Uh...yeah...

Cao Cao would be an awful boss. Doesn't anyone remember the time where he executed an innocent granary officer for hoarding food, just because he didn't plan to bring enough food along and didn't want the troops to lose morale? (No; no one remembers that because I'm a weirdo who finds this stuff more interesting than it should be.)

EDIT: vvvv Probably, but he still killed the guy to cover his own error.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 28, 2013

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

dj_de posted:

Has anything been said about when costume or the jap voice DLC for 8 is going to be available?

I don't own the game yet, so I don't have any concrete answers, but I thought the game was supposed to come with both English and Japanese voice overs? It would be good to know; I'm one of those spoilsports who can't stand playing with the English dubbing.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

dj_de posted:

Apparently the game was ONLY going to have japanese voices and apparently the reason it got delayed was people complained about it so they made english voices. And yes they originally said the PS3 version would have both on disc, but because they 360 disc can't fit both they ended up removing the japanese voices and are going to release them as free DLC again at some point

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
DW8 is $25 on Amazon. Orders $35 and over get free shipping.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I posted this in the PS3 gameshare thread. Reply there if interested. I like what I'm hearing about SW4.

GANDHITRON posted:

Anyone wanna split Samurai Warriors 4? I think it's fifty bucks. I can buy. Please respond in this thread and also PM me if possible.

If you don't know what gamesharing is, you can basically split the cost of most PS3 games available through PSN with someone else. The OP in that thread is a bit outdated, so feel free to ask me for more details.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Has Koei ever released a Warriors that has an automatic checkpoint system? I just got Samurai Warriors 4, and for all of its massive improvements, they still forgot checkpoints. At least you keep items and experience if you fail a stage.

VVVVVV Yeah, you're right. Hyrule did do it in story mode.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 14, 2015

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
When you're done with DW7, try out Samurai Warriors 4. It's amazing.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Hey Policenaut, if it's not too much trouble, could you turn on archiving on your Twitch channel the next time you play?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Thanks, it looks pretty cool. I didn't realize it wasn't entirely turn-based like the RoTK games I played. Seems like it would control a bit better with a mouse and keyboard.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Have they announced an English release of the new ROTK? I'm worried that if Nobunaga's Ambition doesn't sell well in the West (and I don't see how it would when MGS5 is out), we won't get ROTK localized.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Vichan posted:

I seem to remember that there was at least one officer-centered RoTK that had at least decent AI, either VIII or X. That's probably the nostalgia kicking in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431bE2u30p0

I can't praise the OST enough.

I think X was the one with totally broken AI to the point where it ruins the game once you notice it.

I played VII the most. I think VIII was similar. I don't remember the AI being notably good or bad.

Still miss the debates from X, though, those could get hilarious.

E: check my post history in this thread for a pretty big write up of ROTK7, 8, and 10.

In 10, AI controlled battles I think just made the army with more troops win every time.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 27, 2020

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Of the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi games available on PC*, which have good, local co-op? I've been playing musou games for the past couple weeks and my friend was reminiscing about playing through the story modes in the PS2 games through co-op. We tried the PC ports of DW7 and SW5 yesterday and were very discouraged.

I'm not sure if it was a technical problem or not, but DW7 felt very unpleasant to control and I think co-op was limited to non-story modes. I remember Conquest mode or whatever it's called was fairly fun, but I'd prefer to play through a coherent story mode with larger missions if possible.

SW5 forces you to play a few missions to unlock story mode co-op, after which you play one mission together and then immediately get another mission without co-op. This annoyed us so much that we gave up for the day.

At this rate, I'm thinking we'll either give up on the whole project or just run DW3 on an emulator or something. I don't know why Omega Force imposes all these pointless limitations in a series a lot of people have nostalgia for in terms of couch co-op.

*I have a PS4, SW4, and WO3. Is local co-op in either of those any good? And while I'm not really interested in any of the anime games, I do have a Switch somewhere so I might consider whichever Hyrule Warriors game is on that. Do they still have all the annoying big monster enemies you have to fight?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

You might say that of all the PS4 games I played this year, SW4 is "unrivaled." :geno:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Should I platinum SW4 over Christmas if I haven't played SW5 or Spirit of Sanada yet? I think I just have to do every objective on every mission and do every mission with every story mode character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
The original PS4 version of Samurai Warriors 4 is one of the greatest musou games of all time.