Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Shinjobi posted:

One thing remains constant: Lu Meng was the coolest. His story has always ruled, and it continues to rule to this day.:colbert:
His name is Bu, not Meng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

All of those Ps and no C. :(

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Also, unless they've changed things for XL, don't upgrade the market(?) early on. At first you can freely exchange 1 weapon material <=> 2 building material, but after a certain level the exchange rate is "upgraded" to 1 weapon material <=> 1 building material, which is bad since building materials is what you'll want.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Iserlohn posted:

I did it. I 100%'d DW7. I don't have any regrets, but I don't have any joy either. Huh.

I'm not touching another Warriors game for months, but is the grind for DW8:XLC at least a little different of an experience? Doing the same three stages over and over again was a pretty tiring experience, and that's saying something with a series with not a whole lot of variation in its stages to begin with.
Have you considered joining a support group?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bloodly posted:

(Who the hell outranks Cao Cao that he'll be deferential?).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Speedball posted:

I like Chen Gong's smugness a lot better than Sima Yi's or Zhuge Liang's. He's fun.
I loved Sima Yi's evil smugness in DW7, it doesn't really come through in DW8 when he is the hen-pecked husband.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked that it was the exact opposite of Musou games, individually you're worthless, it's the troops that are important. Also the almost dynamic battlefield with constantly shifting battles lines was pretty cool.
However, just like in the Musou games, halberds are all that matters.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I would say don't get Bladestorm, the gameplay is repetitive/not very fun and the "campaign" is poorly constructed.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

grrarg posted:

Talk of Tecmo-Koei's death is weird. From the outside, it looks like they are doing better than ever with Omega-Force by adding Hyrule, Dragon Quest Heroes, and the Bladestorm reboot on top of the other franchises. And it does not look like they are spreading themselves too thin, so far. That DQ trailer was amazing.
I also imagine finally retailing (again) on PC outside of East Asia has been profitable. Has anything been said about how they are doing on Steam?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't care about story in DW at this point, but I do kind of enjoy some of the structured missions and setpieces; does Empires do a good job of keeping battles more interesting than "this is your base and this is their base, go get their base"?
If it is like DW7:E then it is just "go get their base" - the exception being that the historical scenarios had one(?) set piece battle with large consequences for the factions, e.g. the Battle of Hu Lao Gate, but other than that particular battle it was just generic Chinese genocide.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bloodly posted:

Music will probably be their best seller, probably equalling or outpacing even costumes. Mostly because the current choice given is...it's not bad, as such. But it's most noticeable in the strategy screens. The choice is, or feels, damm small.
There are some common default tracks, but if you use there music selector there are literally hundreds of (buttrock) tracks. I usually just hit random until something strikes my fancy or if I get Lu Bu's theme (house rule).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I'm guessing a dating sim.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Tae posted:

A longshot dream would be Sengoku Basra X Samurai Warriors dating sim.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

For the upcoming Nobunaga's Ambition, do we know if it has an officer mode or no?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

J Bloo posted:

If I'm just coming back to dw after a long time (I think the last I played was...4?) is 7 still the best place to start as per the op? There's a million different versions on the psn store - do I want the standard or extreme legends version? Playing on PS3 if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Personally I would go with 7 both because of how much better the campaign/story is and because 8 added some quality of life features that are not major in themselves but make it harder to go back (horse button, I:h:you).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Is this the spot to ask questions about Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence? I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the series.

I am playing my first game as Shimazu and have managed to expand my territory to include most of the southern half of Kyushu. However, most of the armies my officers can field are between 500-1000. I am trying to take over a particularly difficult castle with a garrison of 1000. I have an issue where I cannot force my armies to surround the castle because it seems there is only room for three armies to be next to it (I have like 15). Is there a way to either merge armies or force the rest of my military to work together to take over this enemy territory?
As far as I know, no, only room for three of your units + a tribe unit. So far I've settled for storming the castle to bring the HP down, rotating the armies in and out of the siege. Also, if you literally only have 500-1000 men armies you should spend some time upgrading your conscripts/letting your armies rebuild.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Also, Nobunaga was a Demon King.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to play as a custom officer that's a part of of one of the historical clans? I can't seem to find a way to play as a custom character that isn't in their own custom clan.

Nevermind, I figured it out.
Wait, it has an officer mode? Is it any good?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

alpha_destroy posted:

i disagree. I am less upset Lu Lingqi lost her weapon and more upset she is wearing the shorts from my high-school physical education class.
Did your gym shorts really have slits like that?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Also Shu has a pretty poo poo roster. Looking at that gallery I thought "wow, there is not a single one that I actually like." Might as well go for Sanada Zhao Yun.

Although I will admit that Pang Tong has grown on me since watching the Three Kingdoms series.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Started playing DW8 again, and the new voice actor of Zhang Liao is still atrocious.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The Romance of the Tristate Area

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Cow Pie!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Drakenel posted:

From probably fully modeling his junk to ending it with a nuclear explosion, this is a dynasty warriors opening.
It's not a proper opening unless a horse gets kicked in the face.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Max Wilco posted:

Found another video that shows off some more of the voicework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHiDDi4sbQ

Lu Bu sounds...off.
He sounds like Cao Pi.

Anyhow, just spotted a listing at GMG, I'm not really tempted at that price point.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

wokow6 posted:

Hey, what would be the best way to get into this series? Like, what game should I start with?
I would say 7 as well. By far the best presentation, apparently cheap, and while there are some quality of life improvements in 8 (primarily the automatically mount horse-button) they are minor. Plus it has the proper Zhang Liao-voice.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I played around a bit with RtK14. Not really a fan of the whole give general orders and let things happen-system, it feels they are trying to compensate for the poor tactical AI by forcing you to use that very same poor tactical AI. The tutorial said something about assuming direct control of a limited number of units depending on your rank, that might alleviate it somewhat.

So far, not a fan.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Airspace posted:

Wait, isn't it a ruler only game? Shouldn't the faction leader dictate everything?
Rank as in rank bestowed upon you by the Emperor for having more territories. The way the combat system works is that you plan out the next turn(s) by giving the unit orders (go there, build that, attack that unit, conquer that province) and also rules of engagement (if you see an enemy unit attack/ignore, you are /not/ allowed to retreat, etc). Then you press the play button and hope for the best, because you are now powerless and watch the turn play out. The basic idea could work in theory, but it is really finicky to make a system that works satisfactory and from what little I've seen they missed the boat on that one. Like, for a game that is heavily dependent on positioning to just have the order "attack" is not granular enough, you want to be able to flank them or link up with your sworn brother or etc.

As I said, maybe it works better if you put directly controlled units in the mix (haven't tried it yet), but so far it wasn't a good experience for me.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

abuse culture. posted:

You can’t control poo poo in XIV. The entire game is basically assigning guys to areas, telling everyone who isn’t doing anything to search and smashing the next turn button.
Not sure how long you've been playing, but it does get a bit better once you get used to it and have progressed. Like, you can control troop movements and such in a roundabout way to make sure that they actually attack the enemy - possibly even from behind! Still not good though, because you can't control poo poo.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The other day I randomly remembered this Romance of the Three Kingdoms translation and had a giggle.

Do not pursue Bullard-Lundmark!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

ChrisBTY posted:

Is XIV any good? Speaking as somebody who liked 4,9 and 10 best.
It's been some time since I played it, but I would say that it is pretty unfun. There are some interesting ideas with the whole territory control/supply lines, but it is turned to poo poo by the fact that you can no longer directly control units (you just issue general instructions and hope that the AI does a good job) and the base building aspect is fairly plain.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also only remember Xu Zhu in one scene, where they're celebrating and people are asking him to drink or something, he's absent outside of all that.
Nah, from what I remember Xu Chu has a few scenes of his own and is a background/minor character in others. He rushes to rescue Cao Cao from Diao Chan and he has the minor arc with the execution of Xu You and his "punishment" following that.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Oldstench posted:

As someone who's never played any game like this before, would DW8 XL Complete Edition be a good one to start with?
I'm going to say start with 7, as the presentation is so much better in that game (and Zhang Liao does not sound like a dweeb) and the differences in mechanics between 7 and 8 is minor. The only thing I really miss in 7 is being able to hold down the horse call-button to automatically get on the horse.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jack Trades posted:

There was a terrible terrible Musou game called Bladestorm or something which has a cool feature of you collecting some mooks and getting formation attacks with them.
I wouldn't really call Bladestorm a Musou game, it plays differently in actual gameplay and in presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

HenryEx posted:

Cuz American market needs one localization (English, maaaaaaybe Spanish) and Europe needs five of them (British English, French, German, Spanish, Italian)
In case you are serious, Koei only does English localization.