Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

*looks at OG warhammer fantasy*

Yeah that would be wild.

Yes that was what I was getting at. Puffy sleeves and codpieces vs hulking chaos infused supermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cooked Auto posted:

Obviously there's a collectors edition version.

I'm actually digging this Criterion Collection look, which would make a better poster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Z the IVth posted:

Yes that was what I was getting at. Puffy sleeves and codpieces vs hulking chaos infused supermen.

Landsknecht vs Power Metal Album Covers is something you just can't get elsewhere.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ok I can come back to the thread now

(teatd 3)

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 27, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That reminds me, I need to pick up physical prints of TeatD, the books definitely deserve a place on the shelf

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok so I love the cover and Siege of Vraks is fantastic lore. Maybe it's time to try for an LE.

But is Stephen Lyons any good? I suspect it won't matter because scalpers will take all of them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

First purchase was a scam, so I ended up paying more than I planned for the one I did get, but I couldn't not get it.

I had a moment of pure terror when I first opened a case with ebay for the scam and then clicked to close it after the seller replied, because from what I understood, you can really only open one issue during transit and one on delivery, and I'd technically confirmed that the transit issue was resolved. Got in touch again when I realized the book wasn't coming though, and they refunded my money in less than a day.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i def want the set but gently caress if i am paying an ebay rear end in a top hat 10x retail reward for scalping it thats like paying ransomware

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah I'm not happy about the process, but on balance I would be really unhappy with an empty spot, and having the book in my hands gave me an immense sense of joy. Reading the whole book slowly (for it's not the sort of thing you bring on the shitter), interspersed with Pariah and Penitent, became almost ritualistic, and I found that in the midst of a somewhat chaotic start of 2024 it brought a sense of true calm.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The books certainly look gorgeous. Collecting is often its own reward, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the set. It definitely sounds like a must-read.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

The title placement makes it look like he's picking his nose.

Black Griffon posted:

First purchase was a scam, so I ended up paying more than I planned for the one I did get, but I couldn't not get it.

That's a proper collection. I picked up the regular hardbacks and I'm wondering if I could get someone to leatherbind them to make faux-LEs.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/27/discover-the-untold-story-of-the-siege-of-vraks-in-this-new-death-korps-of-krieg-novel/

This week's Black Library reveal is a new Death Korps of Krieg book, set on Vraks.

hell yeah more Kriegers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

moths posted:

Ok so I love the cover and Siege of Vraks is fantastic lore. Maybe it's time to try for an LE.

But is Stephen Lyons any good? I suspect it won't matter because scalpers will take all of them.

I though his Krieg book was fine. Good but not amazing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kaal posted:

The books certainly look gorgeous. Collecting is often its own reward, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the set. It definitely sounds like a must-read.

Emerging from the shell-shock of actually finishing the whole series, it really is. The last volume is for all intents and purposes Abnett's Fury Road (it will make sense if you've read it, I think), and it's incredible work. He actually pulled it off. It's the same sort of feeling I had when I played Elden Ring and realized they actually managed to exceed my already huge expecations.

Z the IVth posted:

That's a proper collection. I picked up the regular hardbacks and I'm wondering if I could get someone to leatherbind them to make faux-LEs.

That sound really fun and sick and I hope you can pull it off.

And catching up on a couple of posts in the thread during my hiatus:

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe it's because I'm in a post teatd fugue, but I bought brutal kunnin' on audible, and I just absolutely can not get into the VA, who seems to be afraid to raise his voice, which works very poorly for an ork book- though in fairness, it is perhaps a book not well suited for narration, what with orks screaming all of the time

Shame, because it seems like a pretty funny book. Maybe I’ll read the analog version one day.

Moving on to soul hunter instead!

I had the exact same reaction to the VA and I've brought it up here before. I kinda wish I'd just read it on my kindle because I could definitely recognize why people liked it. Ultimately, I don't really remember much about it and I think that's a real shame.

Waroduce posted:

I recently read Steel frame which has a great setting that clearly draws from 40k Inspo. Anyone got any non 40k books they like that have similar tones? I'm ok with a fantasy or sci-fi setting but like you know, in the bones of a crumbling empire, rage against the dying of the light etc etc?

well let me tell you about a little number called Origin Complex

Other than that, check out the Revenger series by Alastair Reyonlds. It's a bit of a weird pull in some ways, but I couldn't stop thinking about it as I was reading Pariah/Penitent. There's also the Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir but it's pretty mandatory that you're a dumb little gay like me you've got some tolerance for the tropes of queer romance fiction if you wanna get into that.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky tends to get suggested a lot when people are looking for 40k analogues, as it has genetically engineered lady space marines and a creepy Event Horizon dimension needed for FTL travel. It is regularly fawned over in the SF&F megathread, personally I thought it was ok but not amazing.

E: As for Alastair Reynolds, he can write very good shooty stuff when he wants to. I haven't read Revenger since I'm a bit too old for YA fiction, but I always felt like some of his short stories set in the Revelation Space universe lean a bit more heavily into the gunfight action stuff than his books. Nightingale from the Galactic North short story collection comes to mind, it also has some really neat Cronenberg flavored body horror vibes going on.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 28, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If you're looking for good 40K-but-not-really books, check out the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/27/discover-the-untold-story-of-the-siege-of-vraks-in-this-new-death-korps-of-krieg-novel/

This week's Black Library reveal is a new Death Korps of Krieg book, set on Vraks.

nice. I liked reading the krieg book even if it got pretty workman like at times. I think the krieg are interesting regement but sorta overhyped.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Krieg are fun but a combination of some genuinely well written lore from the old Forgeworld crew and difficulty to obtain as actual models has granted them more of a mystique than they really deserve.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The constant shovel memes haven't helped.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

No they haven't

I really like Krieg because I just dig their slightly exaggerated WW1 aesthetic. WW1 uniforms, particularly officer uniforms, can be really cool because they are the aesthetic link between gaudy Napoleonic uniforms and the more Utilitarian uniforms that come out of WW2. It's a striking aesthetic that attracts a lot of people and I wish people would pay more attention to that than the most tired boring memes in the universe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Black Griffon posted:

There's also the Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir but it's pretty mandatory that you're a dumb little gay like me you've got some tolerance for the tropes of queer romance fiction if you wanna get into that.

I am both old and straight and The Locked Tomb is one of my favorite series in the last several years. It's therefor objectively good and you should check it out. The first elevator pitch for it was "lesbian necromancers in space", but then people pointed out that it wasn't really an "in space" story, so the first book is now officially "lesbian necromancers solve a haunted house".

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Krieg are cool on paper. Unfortunately there very much is a type of guy who is Weird About Krieg in a somewhat sus way: often he will be a little too into their stahlhelms (which of course saw long-standing in the German military, but, crucially, famously that included the Wehrmacht). It's always an issue in 40k, people who are just worryingly too much into Nazi-coded poo poo being weird about it, but I think it especially happens with them for whatever reason.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cooked Auto posted:

They're probably written in a much more interesting way by people who know what they're doing but yeah, when your initial impression is "lol shovels/endless suicide charges/faceless personality vacuums" there's not much incentive to want to look past that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

They're probably written in a much more interesting way by people who know what they're doing but yeah, when your initial impression is "lol shovels/endless suicide charges/faceless personality vacuums" there's not much incentive to want to look past that.

my view is basicaly a bunch of vat grown child soldiers who are living through the sins of a psycho nationalist. the best parts of 40k are when its dark tragic comedy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Name your favorite Krieg dance move. Mine is the reverse spin while pretending your hand is a fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI16lhbh7wY

Quite possibly the ugliest white person dance I've ever seen, like the mocap was done by a drunk chimpanzee.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There's a substantial amount of people who only interacts with 40ks lore through memes.

I don't hate Krieg myself although I'm not really into them. I prefer Catachans, they are my choice of silly guardsmen.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It's me, I'm the stupid shovel joke enthusiast. At least when it's a cleverly-stupid joke.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my view is basicaly a bunch of vat grown child soldiers who are living through the sins of a psycho nationalist. the best parts of 40k are when its dark tragic comedy.

Dead Men Walking and Krieg are both pretty decent novels that do a good job of observing the tragicomedy of 40k.

I just like their gasmasks.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I enjoyed the Krieg book because I thought their backstory and how they came to be was pretty cool

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dead Men Walking and Krieg are both pretty decent novels that do a good job of observing the tragicomedy of 40k.

I just like their gasmasks.

yeah both are pretty solid. I like how they are kinda the most star wars stormtrooper like of the imperial guard outside the Scions.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

lines posted:

Krieg are cool on paper. Unfortunately there very much is a type of guy who is Weird About Krieg in a somewhat sus way: often he will be a little too into their stahlhelms (which of course saw long-standing in the German military, but, crucially, famously that included the Wehrmacht). It's always an issue in 40k, people who are just worryingly too much into Nazi-coded poo poo being weird about it, but I think it especially happens with them for whatever reason.

The irony of course that the Death Korps are meant to be WW1 French, and if someone wants the Nazis that is what the Armageddon Steel Legion is for. But Nazis gonna Nazi so they decided Kreig is about how you are badass for being “hard men” who “do whatever it takes” to “win”, and not about how the dehumanization of lives by officers leading to ungodly and totally unnecessary slaughter

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Grilled Beef posted:

The irony of course that the Death Korps are meant to be WW1 French, and if someone wants the Nazis that is what the Armageddon Steel Legion is for. But Nazis gonna Nazi so they decided Kreig is about how you are badass for being “hard men” who “do whatever it takes” to “win”, and not about how the dehumanization of lives by officers leading to ungodly and totally unnecessary slaughter

Yeah, I think one of the reasons I like the setting for roleplaying games is the way that you can interact with themes like the latter, in the right circumstances.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Name your favorite Krieg dance move. Mine is the reverse spin while pretending your hand is a fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI16lhbh7wY

Quite possibly the ugliest white person dance I've ever seen, like the mocap was done by a drunk chimpanzee.

Prefer the follow up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nIJdHn1FFE

Also prefer the Steel Legion to Krieg as far as my gas mask dudes go.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grilled Beef posted:

Yeah everyone talks about the Commissars needing to hold back the Krieg from killing themselves in suicidal actions like that makes them hardcore when the point is that human life is utterly worthless to the Krieg EVEN BY THE STANDARDS OF THE IMPERIUM.

They are a nationalist death cult who have been completely subsumed to the death drive to such a degree that even the "cruelest and bloodiest regime imaginable" of the 40k preamble is freaked out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah everyone talks about the Commissars needing to hold back the Krieg from killing themselves in suicidal actions like that makes them hardcore when the point is that human life is utterly worthless to the Krieg EVEN BY THE STANDARDS OF THE IMPERIUM.

They are a nationalist death cult who have been completely subsumed to the death drive to such a degree that even the "cruelest and bloodiest regime imaginable" of the 40k preamble is freaked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9e7nSc-iKo&t
one of my favorite youtubers did a good episode on them.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
My only real beef with Siege of Vraks is how it was positioned as this huge, grinding war of attrition and it's not even a full real life division's worth of Krieg soldiers actually on Vraks. Like, whatever, numbers in black library stuff usually make no sense but even by that standard it's pretty egregious! I just mentally tack on however many zeroes it takes until my nerd annoyance is appeased.

Unrelated: Kind of looking forward to Lord of Excess. I think the point of view of an emperor's children warband leader trying to make a perfect planet by 'fixing' the normal imperium issues has potential to be fun. McCormick's done some short form stuff with Black Library, hopefully he can pull off a novel.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The horror of Krieg isn't that they're all clones, because they aren't, just a few of them are so that as a death cult they can continue to observe the martyrdom of specific people. The horror of Krieg is that the vast majority of them aren't clones and this is just what the Imperium does to people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wiegieman posted:

The horror of Krieg isn't that they're all clones, because they aren't, just a few of them are so that as a death cult they can continue to observe the martyrdom of specific people. The horror of Krieg is that the vast majority of them aren't clones and this is just what the Imperium does to people.

the new book implies that some of them are clones of the original rear end in a top hat or at least he is used as genetic sperm donor, i assume other heroes of krieg are too. but yeah their entire culture is just a hosed up martyr society for a crime none of them were alive for. i love 40k when its just stupidly tragic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ1nufjJt74

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the new book implies that some of them are clones of the original rear end in a top hat or at least he is used as genetic sperm donor, i assume other heroes of krieg are too. but yeah their entire culture is just a hosed up martyr society for a crime none of them were alive for. i love 40k when its just stupidly tragic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ1nufjJt74

Ironically, hitting that bloodletter with a entrenchment tool is likely to be more effective than a high tech lasweapon anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Ironically, hitting that bloodletter with a entrenchment tool is likely to be more effective than a high tech lasweapon anyway

I love the fact that they explicitly came out and said that the Warp operates on Rule Of Cool (or maybe more like Rule Of :black101: ) so yes, you're often objectively better off using a sword than a laser gun.