Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

Why did the Emperor even need the Space Marines? He sounds so powerful that he could have appeared on any planet, wiggled his nose and made all of his enemies' heads explode.

It would take a long time to conquer 1,000,000 worlds by yourself. But the Great Crusade was essentially unstoppable when he was leading it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

I could tell. But being the first book in a series doesn't excuse something as basic as not having an ending. There's a difference between a cliffhanger ending and not actually wrapping anything up at all and just sort of going *plop* in the middle. It's terrible and I can't believe they published it like that. The fact that it's the first in a series just makes it worse, since it's possible that they're not lazy but in fact intentionally compromised the book to try to get you to buy the rest of them. It doesn't exactly inspire faith or motivate me to keep buying more.

Many of the characters introduced don't actually do anything or develop or even receive anything more than a cursory description, and every single plot thread is left dangling. That's not just "setting up" for a series - it's cheating the reader. All that time spent on build-up for as yet unwritten books is basically wasted space since it adds nothing to the book. It's lazy writing and annoys the hell out of me. And basically every other decent book series manages to have each book be at least satisfying and readable on its own, even outside the setups and context from later/previous installments.

McNeill does this all the time, half of the Ultramarines books end with the protagonist in a hopeless situation on a Daemon world or whatever. Next time don't read any of his books until there's some consensus as to their quality or until the entire series has been released, lesson learned I guess.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nobody reads the OP :negative:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Basically there are massive warp storms and interference that coincide with the beginning of the Heresy, seeing as how Horus has allied himself with the gods of the Warp and whatnot. This inhibits communications and travel, which were already far from instant. It's not like Istvaan was kept a secret for decades or anything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

There was a great bit in the Night Lords series where Talos talks about how they were attacked by Astartes who were utilizing the Codex and he basically said that there was pretty much nothing they could have done to prevent getting their poo poo ruined.

I'm also pretty sure there is something in the Codex that is basically like "do whatever works because winning is all that's important when it comes to the survival of humanity."

Yeah, the representation of the Codex in Void Stalker is great, as is the one in that short story where Roboute is writing/testing it. The "point" of the Codex should be that following it is the next best thing to being commanded by an actual Primarch, and not as a lovely plot device for punishing Gary Stu protagonists.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, I think it's built up as a sort of The Art of War / Book of Five Rings meets the Army Ranger Handbook / military field manual sort of thing. Lots of philosophical stuff mixed in with general frameworks for force organization, procedures, response drills, etc.

Nope! It's super specific and a chapter that has memorized the codex, being coordinated by commanders following the codex, operate almost as if they were being led by Gulliman himself. They've been going into this more and more in the more recent Heresy books.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I really have no idea why some of you are so interested in seeing the "future" of 40k. The whole point of the setting is that it's the grim and dark and there is only war -- the stagnancy and galactic stalemate is a big part of the essence of 40k. The interesting stuff is what happens in between the lines, not "who would win if the Emperor woke up and at the same time the Tyranid main force arrived." That's some Goku vs. Superman poo poo.

Baron Bifford's posts read like he just read a wikipedia article about 40k and is desperately seeking catharsis by finding out how everything resolves, and in doing so completely misses what makes 40k unique and fun.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jadebullet posted:

So where did the water go?

Displaced by hive development reaching miles above sea level and polluted beyond recognition as "water". 40k Terra looks like a grey metal orb when viewed from space; it's the most developed planet in the Imperium, and there are millions, possibly billions of people on Terra who have never even seen the surface. There are still oceans of chemical pollutants, though, which are discussed a bit in the Space Wolf book Wolfblade, so your H2O molecules would be there.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 28, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I just flipped through the latest W40K rulebook. There's a picture of the Golden Throne. It's like a huge Aztec pyramid, with the Emperor seated at the very summit. Do the Emperor's sacrificial victims and soul-binding candidates actually get a close look at his corpse?

No.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

How do you pronounce that? Koo? Choo? Kyoo? Koowoo? Seeyooyoo?

Koo. Rhymes with "shoe".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Probably not, but the similarity is striking. I wouldn't put it past GW to do that, given that they'll be releasing a novel about the box set anyway. We can always check then.

The guy on the cover is Lorgar what are you even talking about :eng99:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

My point is that the miniature looks like a reasonable "add 10k years" aproximation of the artwork, and that GW's novels exist to sell more mans.

So you're saying...space marines in one Warhammer thing have similar art to space marines in another Warhammer thing? Where are you even going with this :psyduck:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mikojan posted:

Aren't the primarchs the only ones in the alpha legion that know what they are fighting for?
I thought the common Alpha Legion marine was just as corrupted by chaos as any traitor chapter.

Unless the dissapearance of Alpharius is an elaborate ruse I don't think the alpha legion has any hidden agenda anymore. They're just mindless pawns of chaos by now after 10 millenia of corruption.

Recent Horus Heresy developments involving the Alpha Legion are suggesting that Alpharius and Omegon are turning against each other.

I also highly doubt that there is going to be a reveal that they've been playing the long game for 10,000 years. Most likely the legion was locked into its course when Roboute killed whoever it was that he killed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Lyer posted:

I'm pretty sure that quite a few of Alpha legionnaires have "lost sight" of what they're trying to do in 10 millennia and that explains why some of them are corrupted. Honestly like the 2 missing primarchs, alpha legion is left intentionally ambiguous so that people can play on both sides of the fence in the table top. We'll probably never get an answer unless they decide to go forward with the story.

As far as humans and chaos go, I was under the impression that humanity has a disproportionate footprint in the warp. That's why chaos is/was so keen on turning humanity.

Outside of the 2 Primarchs and possibly their very inner circle, the rank-and-file Alpha Legionnaires wouldn't have known what the deal was in the first place.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Was it in Deliverance Lost where they have Alpharius hanging out with a Cabal alien that he puts out an airlock because he decides he doesn't like the Help Horus Kill Everyone plan and prefers to make his Alpha marines stronger using the secret genetic stuff taken from the Emperor's lab?

Didn't really feel like the same Alpharius from Legion to me. I guess hanging around Horus a whole bunch probably had some detrimental effects.

It could be what you said, or it could just be that Gav Thorpe is a lovely writer.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Death by Cranes posted:

Allow me to say that "Brotherhood of Snake" was total utter gar-bitch! So tedious.

And why the poo poo isn't Nemesis in the OP under fantastic novels? It had everything going for it.

Because you have terrible taste in books. Terrible.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Brothers of the Snake was good for the first section, but after that it just became really stupid.

That chapter has the most incompetent Librarium in the Imperium.

I'd say the fluff has moved past BotS a little bit. It's still a solid book with an engaging arc and characters, but it definitely focuses more on the "warrior monk" archetype of space marine that fights largely out of honor, tradition, and ritual. Tactical realism nerds might find issue with it, but they should be ignored anyway so who cares.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 6, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

Ah not quite, from memory, I think only conclave can declare you've gone rogue and that could be anything from not answering a conclave summons to actively working against the Imperium.

To add a bit more, all the Chaos gods are suppose to draw their power from the same source so where one god rises, the others will naturally wane.

In terms of their mortal followers, we've been shown that some still have a full set of emotions and are capable of hiding their beliefs and actions from others but it's also easy to lose complete control and surrender to the emotions that your god represents. Even Khorne worshipers kill for a multitude of reasons from wanting to test their martial power to being driven by the need to slaughter all.

In Voidstalker we find out that two of Talos' men have succumbed to Khorne but to different degrees. Uzas blacks out and has his blood for the blood god moments but it's Cyrion, who having also succumbed, waits for Uzas to black out before giving into Khorne and then blaming the killings on Uzas afterwards.

Cyrion is a psychic vampire who tastes fear, not a worshipper of Khorne.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MisterFuzzles posted:

Battle of the Fangs worth it. As mentioned in the OP its fluffy and has some good action. I liked it better than Legion myself but Space Vikings always sucker me in.

....Of course I say that when I have yet to read the Space Wolves omnibus. Judging by the OP I should probably look into that at some point. Still gotta get through Shadows of Treachery, books 2 and 3 of Shira and got some Glen Cook too.

I need to read faster.

The William King Space Wolf books are a lot of fun and definitely worth reading, though they're somewhat lighter in tone than a lot of 40k stuff.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Emnity posted:

Hmm, may just stop where I am then.

Are there any other decent Eisenhorn/Ravenor equivalents? Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series, never bothered with Cain to date as I expect it to be more of the same but I'm open to being surprised.

If you like the "Inquisitor running around doin' thangs" concept, you should give Atlas Infernal a read. It's pretty wacky, but I loved it.

Cain is completely different, it's a comedy series. It also gets incredibly stale after the first few books.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 14, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

William King really does banter very well, I should say, and his leaving the Space Wolves for other book lines was a real blow to the series :(

Same goes for Gotrek and Felix :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mikojan posted:

I just finished reading the Alpha Legion story in The Primarchs

The ending got me really confused. Did Omegon secretly order the tenebrae installation to be destroyed behind Alpharius' back? Did he change his mind about the whole Cabal theory? Is this mentioned anywhere else?

The answer is "Maybe, possibly!" *cue ominous music*

(yes, the Alpha Legion are a bunch of dumb babies)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Therion posted:

I wish Abnett killed off one of his books' main characters or had something irreversably lovely happen to them, since I have trouble feeling any tension at all while knowing that his protagonists have the thickest Plot Armor this side of Salvatore.

Is this an ironic post or what I don't even :psyduck:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cardiac posted:

So I just finished the latest book in the Horus Heresy series, Fear to Thread by James Swallow.
Completely predictable if you have read any of the previous fluff on Blood Angels.

Also just realized that James Swallow wrote Nemesis, which is utter crap.
Seriously, you have a brainwashed assassin and his sister as the main characters and it becomes a crappy family drama.

Anyways, so how many books are there left in the series? Or are they gonna do like in Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms and just expand the series while there's money in it?

They have yet to cover White Scars, Imperial Fists as well as more in depth of some traitor legions. And then we have the Battle of Terra. Easily at least 20 more books.

The HH books sell really well, and it's GW, so you have to imagine they're going to stretch it out as long as they possibly can.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

joneswt posted:

Dembski-Bowden has usurped Abnett as the best BL writer like a wet-leopard growl.

For fans of 40k, I'd say this is true when you compare their current work (though Know No Fear was really great), but ADB's books are really heavily steeped in backstory. Part of what makes things like Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghosts so great is that they'd be incredibly enjoyable even if the person reading them knows nothing about 40k.

I'd like to see Dembski-Bowden write something that isn't about space marines. Some of the best parts of his books involve regular humans (Helsreach!), but everything he's done since Cadian Blood has been SM- or CSM-centric. And Cadian Blood was his first 40k book!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 17, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Please tell me that Purging of Kadilus gets better. I enjoyed the ork bit in the prolog, though the part with the sentry looking out at the dust cloud and exclaiming "Emperor's Balls." was a bit, odd. Anyway, now I am at the part where the Chaplain just finished beating up some orks, which felt kind of flat and disconjointed to me, and he just pulled a prayer scroll from the wall that had survived the Ork vandalism. He then crumples it up, and gets pissed over the fact that the Orks have done so much damage to his home.

Maybe it is because all I have been reading as of late is Abnett and ADB, but I am having issues caring about this book. Please tell me that we get some character development and dialog soon. As of right now, I don't give two shits about Chaplain Boreas, or whatever his name is.

Heh good job buying a Gav Thorpe book :smug:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Theparker posted:

What's yalls thoughts on this Brotherhood of the Storm? It's being sold for one week only for $50, I'm not sure if its worth it even if its about the Khan.

Chris Wraight is the third-best BL author by a mile and is very consistent, so I'm confident it'll be readable. Whether a novella is worth $50 is another issue entirely.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wraight chat:

I have to say Wrath of Iron has grown on me. Usually the books that feature a specific chapter or segment of the Imperium seem to be trying to get you to see how totally awesome they are. It's a nice change to have a book that just lays out how the defenders of humanity are total bastards with emotional problems, and certainly more in line with the 40k ethos.

Also if you haven't read the Swords of the Emperor duology, the omnibus comes out tomorrow. If you are interested in Warhammer fantasy in the slightest, order it right now. They are really great.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 24, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

At a certain point, when a Ghost dies in the most heart-wrenching way possible, you just chuckle to yourself while saying, "Abnett, you dick."

I now read Gaunt's Ghosts books like one would watch a Final Destination movie, looking around to see how any few given plot elements will come together to murder one of the main characters in a hilariously random way.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat, Pray, Purge the Unclean

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm about halfway through the first novella in Shadows of Treachery. It's quite readable! I think it's John French's first Black Library thing so that's encouraging.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ed balls balls man posted:

Pariah is now available as an eBook on the Black Library site. Its on my Kindle waiting to be ravished.

It's the first of a new trilogy, correct?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Scoobi posted:

I read The Night Haunter on my plane flight overseas, it was really good. Read it all in 1 sitting. I liked the revelation & how it was played up as 'true...or is it?' which is how the best 40k background is usually handled.

The psyker's abilities, the mechanicus guy, the dissimulus/weird inquisition stuff and the necromunda like underhive were all interesting and cool.

Lord of the Night, you mean?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wait - you ranked Helsreach third? Maybe it is because you're new and didn't realize how awesome that book really was...

Helsreach is good, but BotS is a great book too and LotD is awesome if the mood and tone of the book clicks with you. Rob Sanders is not as technically gifted an author as ADB, Dan Abnett, or even Chris Wraight, but he does "weird" really, really well.

Speaking of Rob Sanders, is Redemption Corps any good?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 5, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Ok, I finished Lord of the Night last week, and started Soul Hunter yesterday. But this has been bugging me ever since I first read the words The Exalted. Is this supposed to be Krieg Acerbus?

Nope. The Exalted is a possessed sergeant named Vandred (not a spoiler).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Guys, please tell me that Legion of the Damned gets better... I'm two chapters in and it is soooo boring and the Excoriators (and their serfs) read like annoying, angsty teens.

It gets better.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Halfway through Prince of Crows in Shadows of Treachery. It's great. ADB :allears:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

buyers remorse posted:

I have a bit of a question for those of you who are a bit more experienced with this literature and the whole "40k Universe" than I am, and apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. (A short perusal of this thread did not get me any results, but they might be there and I didn't spend enough time)

After having read the Gaunt's Ghost series, Ravenor, and Eisenhorn, along with the Ciaphas Cain series (and the Wiki), I can't figure out the purpose behind all the worship the Adeptus Mechanicus guys do. My understanding that they believe that the Emperor is part robot now and is their robot God and that he watches over the "spirits" in all engines and machinery. Does this mean that they don't really know how to fix anything or build new stuff unless they are some really important guy on Mars and just leave it up to the Emperor/the C'tan thing that the wiki says might be sleeping on Mars or whatever?

More often than not it seems like they don't really know what they're doing and just kind of assume that their cog-Emperor thing will sort it out if they just pray a lot over the engine. Or is this just the authors trying to show that the perception of the main characters of the story have very little understanding of the "techno-sorcery" that is going on when the tech-priests et al actually fix things?

The Mechanicum believed in the Omnissiah, or Machine-God, long before the Emperor came to Mars. Recent developments (the book Mechanicum) have revealed that this idea may have come from a C'tan that the Emperor buried on Mars long before the Great Crusade, which has been psychically influencing the martians and accelerating their technological development. When the Emperor arrived and demonstrated complete psychic mastery over machines ("Machine, Heal Thyself), the Cult of Mars determined that the Emperor was an incarnation of the Omnissiah. Internally, there is some disagreement as to whether the Emperor is, in fact, the Omnissiah, though by M41 that is considered heresy.

Even non-Mechanicus people can have an understanding of mechanics and engineering. People understand how engines work, how guns work, etc. on a practical level, though they also believe that machines have a "machine-spirit" that must be appeased to ensure their proper function. So, maintenance and repair is a combination of religious and practical application -- to fix something, you say the relevant prayers, apply the sacred unguents, and then you troubleshoot and repair the drat thing. The procedure to un-jam a rifle may be called the "Rites of Unjamming" but it's not like an Imperial Guardsman would think it's magic.

When it comes to the most advanced technology of the Imperium, however -- teleporters, terminator armor, the targeting systems of a Land Raider, other technology so complex that its programming subroutines combine to form a pseudo-conscious "machine spirit" -- you can be assured that all but the highest-ranked Adepts would not understand the technical reason behind the rites of repair and maintenance that they perform to keep said technology operational.

There is also a belief that circa-20k human technology is "perfect", which is why the discovery of a fully-functional Standard Template Construct machine is the holy grail for the Mechanicum. Therefore, the innovation of non-STC technology or the appropriation of xenotech is considered an unfortunate necessity at best, and tech-heresy at worst.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2012

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Helsreach is a great book for people who want to learn more about technology in the Imperium. There's a significant side-plot from the perspective of a tech-marine doing very complicated tech-marine stuff. You might also like it if the sentence "the sawn-off shotgun of nova cannon technology" intrigues you.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Warhammer Fantasy chat incoming.

Just finished reading Heldenhammer and it was terrible, It was just an endless list of battles which boil down to and then Sigmar fought this group and then Sigmar fought the other group and then Sigmar fought some orcs. Really the characters were flat, the world building non existent (which is presumably what you want from a prequel) and there was not even any good Bolter Sword Hammer porn because most of the combat is glossed over. Do the other books in the Sigmar trilogy get better or are they all this bad?

The Sigmar trilogy is pretty bad. It doesn't even really reveal anything about his godhood.