Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
For anyone thinking of buying Daenyathos, watch out. That $11.99 you think you're paying for an actual novel? You're paying for ~ 100+ pages, actually. gently caress BL and their lovely ebook pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Vastly overpriced, but it's about the only thing published about the Age of Apostasy, M36 or so.

The part that dealt with the Apostasy was 30 pages. Not sure that really counts, since there isn't any new information there either. I wish there was more of a silver lining.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

mllaneza posted:

A novel with anything at all to do with Russ taking a Great Company into the Eye would be well received.

We need an odd couple series that chronicles the adventures of Russ and Bjorn traipsing through the Eye.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Archonex posted:

So, after reading all of the Horus Heresy era books i've been able to get my hands on, I have to ask a question. Am I the only one thinking that the big reveal regarding the Emperor's grand plan is going to be something soul crushingly depressing like the Emperor actually being a sociopathic rear end in a top hat setting himself up as a new warp god? The hints are there for that in the older lore.

Or even worse, him realizing that humanity is hosed no matter what happens. Either in the immediate future after the heresy, or tens of thousands of years down the line. Therefore he was so desperate that he decided to make a hopeless play to try and save it or buy humanity just a bit more time. Despite knowing that he's going to be doomed to be tortured for millenia after Horus fucks his poo poo up in the final battle if he does so?

Some of the stuff in the earlier Horus Heresy books makes it pretty clear he knows he's screwed. Which has all sorts of horrible implications.

The setting is too grim dark for a happy ending.

In Outcast Dead, he tells an astropath sometimes the only thing you can do is force your enemy into a draw, implying some kind of eternal stalemate.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

mdemone posted:

Do we know whether that effect is due to non-psyker humans having some very tiny but "natural" degree of psychic activity, or if it's actually simply because the blanks are social weirdos?

I was under the impression that those personality quirks that turn everyone off are the expression of their "blankness". Each blank annoys everyone in a different way, I guess.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Was re-reading Fear to Tread, and there was a throwaway comment that I didn't catch before. Some Blood Angels are talking about the Librarians and the Edict of Nikea, and asks rhetorically if they should lock up their Librarians in cells like the Imperial Fists.

I'm pretty sure the Edict said that the Librarium had to be dissolved, and all its members returned to regular duties. Is there a reason mentioned previously why the Fists went to such extremes?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

TheStampede posted:

Care to expand a bit? I wanted to grab it, but I can't buy any more games till I get through some of my Summer Sale haul.

According to RPS,

- Bugged missions (you fail even if you win)
- Slow, unskippable, repeated animations
- Hotseat multiplayer shows your opponent how many genestealers are under each blip
- Graphics can make doors hard to spot
- Crappy translation from boardgame to PC
- Others

Shroud
May 11, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Half serious, but why don't any of us try out for their submission contests. I'm sure we could write some decent short stories at least.

That's what got us Andy Zhou, you monster.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So I've already read A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, and I'm just starting to read Battle of the Fang, but it seems like a lot has happened to the Thousand Sons since the end of the previous two books. I'm actually kind of lost on some of the details. Are there any books that detail what happened in between the end of A Thousand Sons and the beginning of Battle of the Fang in regards to the Thousand Sons?

There's 10,000 years between the first two books and Battle of the Fang. That time period in between is basically just an outline at this point.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I thought the Heresy was in M30/M31?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I have a long flight coming up. I wanted to pick up a few Horus Heresy books I haven't read. Should I avoid any of : Galaxy in Flames, Descent of Angels, The First Heretic, Thousand Sons, or Fear to Tread?

Don't bother with Descent of Angels unless you get the follow-up as well (Fallen Angels, I think).

If you get Thousand Sons, pick up Prospero Burns as well.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Perhaps, been a while since I read.

Don't forget that he goes from 0 to full-on Lectio Divinitatus over the course of a couple months just because he ran into some daemons. That's a core part of the concept, too.
To be fair, if I started running into daemons, I'd be the most religious person in the world.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Also, The First Heretic implies that Lorgar and his upper commanders were intentionally organizing chaos-cults along the pathways of the other crusades. Erebus and Kor Phaeron basically admit to Lorgar that they've been preserving cults secretly during the early years of the crusade, and then after Lorgar enters the Eye the entire legion is said to be laying the groundwork for the heresy. The reader doesn't get to see exactly what this implies, but I've always believed that beyond just the Warrior Lodges, they were also organizing and stream-lining the Chaos worship on assorted worlds so that when the other legions got there, they would start encountering daemons, tainted artifacts, and all the other nasty stuff that turned the traitor primarchs.

For what it's worth, in Aurelian he's explicitly advised by Ingethel to leave xenos worlds for his brothers to conquer, so he can focus on creating and nurturing cults on human worlds.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Ullanor is easy, just get everyone with Epic scale minis in your country to show up.

Probably have to fly ADB in to represent the Emperor (would that make Matt Ward Horus?).

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Just waiting for the inevitabe, slightly less overpriced compilation to come out.

Edit: grammar

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Wasn't there a quote in the older fluff that had the Lion's number of victories second only to Guilliman, or was that someone else?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

pentyne posted:

The whole point is he wrote the Codex Astartes and told all space marines to follow that and only that, deviating from it would be treason and some chapters followed it to their deaths or attack other chapters for not following it closely enough.

Actually, he explicitly tells his marines not to follow it to the letter because battles are fluid and commanders need to have the ability to use their judgement. I think it's in Know no Fear.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I think the confusion comes from the fact that non-active computing functions are ok, whereas processing itself must be done through an organic component.

For example, you can store your data on a hard drive analogue, but any computations or the act of storage/retrieval itself must be done by something with an organic component.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Deliverance Lost cracked me up when the Alpha Legion infiltrators got together for the first time and one of them says "One of us is a commander?" Don't exactly know why, but it cracked me up.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
While we're doing Cabal chat, has BL dropped any hints as to why Eldrad is opposing them?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

It's gonna end up that one of the missing primarchs inherited his divinity isn't it? And that primarch is the source for the Grey Knights and it was all kept hush hush because religion was bad during the crusade.

One of them probably inherited his atheism, and was annihilated and expunged for being a smug bastard. The other started the 30k version of r/mra, I bet.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Sephyr posted:

What books deal with the whole Cabal shebang? I've only seen them appear tangentially in Betrayer when one of them tries to recruit Cyrene .

Also, finally getting started on the Ravenor books.

Legion is the first and main one.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

If the warp hates Necrons does that make Necrons the natural ally of the Grey Knights?

Nope, the Grey Knights hate xenos just as much as the rest of the Imperium.

lenoon posted:

Yep, I put a lot of time into producing as close to a preheresy imperial fist as I possibly could.

May want to check your link - can't see anything.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm not seeing any shadiness, either. You know you're working with someone else's ip. Kinda makes sense that they own what you wrote for them, no matter how long ago.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

The Astronomican is actually independently powered. It's possible that the Emperor being on Terra boosts it in some way, but mainly it consists of thousands of psykers acting in concert to project it. The Emperor is involved somehow though, for example there's a sequence in a book I don't remember the name of where someone tries to power a machine with the Astronomican. By tapping into it as the rotations of the planets make the beam pass through Mars, a tech priest manages to resist infection by a warp virus because her labs are protected after being having the energy from the Astronomican pass through it.

Mechanicum

Shroud
May 11, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'd like to talk about Deathshroud, and the Death Guard in general. Even before the weird warp calamity that turned them to Nurgle, weren't the signs already there devoid of Typhon's influence? There were 49 Deathshroud or something, and some of their number always remained 49 paces from Mortarion, and obviously they were a fan of toxic weapons and disease and poo poo.

Is this just a weird inconsistency or?

It' similar to some of the other hints they were dropping earlier - like a wink, wink to people who already know the fluff. Kharn was the 8th captain to attempt to calm Angron down 8 is the favored number of Khorne.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

I don't know why people call Lion an aspie when considering the incident between him and Russ. Russ is like having an alcoholic degenerate bigger awesome brother who beats your rear end for getting to the only Xbox first. Laughs about it then gets really mad laughs at himself when you hit him back.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Already read it. It did, however, raise two questions: when the heck did Abaddon make Kharn's kill-counter and does it make a triumphant tune and flash when he gets a new high score?

A) Probably as a gift to avoid being fragged at some point after they fled into the EoT

B) Every Kharne kill is a new high score :colbert:.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Has anyone read Pandorax? I'm about 3/4 through, and I think it's worse than Battle for the Abyss.

Maybe it's just me, but somehow a combination of the entire chapter of the Dark Angels, Draigo, and a entire brotherhood of Grey Knights comes off as the most bland story ever. Is it just me?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
The ancient secret is a portal to the Warp that daemons can use freely.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Shut up about narratives. No fighting in the Warhammer 40k thread!

Here, read Kylaer's magnum opus instead - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Dk9xE9da9Mk9Gd2FGQllGUEE/edit?usp=sharing

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Of Galaxy in Flames, Battle for the Abyss, Fulgrim, The Primarchs, Age of Darkness, and Vulkan Lives which 2 should I read next? I feel like I've been through all the "good" novels, and I'm just waiting now. :/

For the love of all that's holy, avoid Battle for the Abyss. If you've read Unremembered Empire, Vulkan Lives is the story a couple years before it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Finished Angel Exterminatus, it was one of the better books. But i am really getting sick of reading about strange objects being shoved into Fulgrim's body. :wtc:

Anyways my thoughts:

- Kroeger feels like a clone of Uzas from ADB's Night Lord Trilogy, just more poorly done.

Kroeger was first introduced in Storm of Iron, fyi. Many, many years ago.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Angron got pretty much the roughest deal among the primarchs, but the most pitiable character of that book is Argel Tal. ADB pretty much made him to be a decent person who gradually loses everything worth having and then finally dies to save a life that was never truly in particular danger.

He and Asami Sato from Legend of Korra should compare notes.

I felt bad for Kharn the most.

He gets the Nails in order to feel closer to Angron - who doesn't give a drat.

His brothers put them in too, and they drop like flies because of their lack of cohesion and tactics.

Every other legion has no respect for them because they're mindless berzerkers.

His best buddy Argel Tal see above, gets offed by Erebus, who he can't even kill in retaliation because Chaos protects him.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I seriously thought you were exaggerating. Nope, GW at its finest.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

What purpose served the plot line of Yesugei's voyage? It seemed pretty pointless to me and adds little to the main plot, it had some nice insight about the librarium and Nikaea though.

There you go.

quote:

While I enjoyed the dialogue between Jaghatai and Magnus, the one with Mortarion was a bit silly. Yeah, you hate psykers and you wanted "purity", but your right hand man and confident(Typhon) was chief librarian of the Death Guard and the man responsible of corrupting the entire legion to Nurgle.

1) Irony
2) It makes it even better when the Khan tells him how he's been duped by the powers of the Warp.

quote:

Finally, the scene when an entire company of White Scars does a boarding action with motherfucking void jetbikes is probably stupid, but is so hilarously over the top is hard not to enjoy it

I think that section, while cool, is partly to show technology that the Imperium has lost. In 40k only Samael (master of the Ravenwing) has one now. Everyone else uses the ones with tires. Now imagine if you could equip an entire chapter with the jetbikes...

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Nah, he is just some well-placed comedy in an otherwise really grim set of stories. The final joke is that the story ends really bitter with Grimaldus saying that even that funny comedic relief guy dies in the end, and then literally on the last page he pops up again complaining about how he isn't getting retirement pay because some dumbass Space Marine hammered his name onto a big monument and now he needs to run back down there and cross the name out. It's the weird dark comedy that makes ADB books so good.

To add to the grimness, the female Guardsman apparently died as well. It's been a while since I read it, but I recall something along the lines of

Grimaldus: "Did you find her?"
Andrej: "Yes":smith:
Grimaldus: "Awkward silence"

Does BL bundle the Advent stories afterwards? I'd like to read them, but I'd rather not buy them one by one.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I didn't have any major problems either. Seems to me like it's a solid, mid-tier Heresy novel.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, it is interesting how authors get hung up on certain words. I believe it is Abnett, but it could be ABD... in either case, one of them used the word "proffered" a few times in one of the novels I recently read; I remember its use since I grew up with a friend who had that as a surname. Good ol' GRRM also repeats certain words quite a bit as well!

Woah there, Wild Card. The one that stuck out the most for me was "viff", from the book about the IG flyers. Double-something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

If it is up tomorrow I will buy it and the next time I have a day off from flying I'd get drunk and make notes as I read it. It may be in February. Also reading online about it I have two words about it..... "power boners".

Not to steal bunnyofdoom's thunder, but here's a quick glimpse of what he/she will be wading though: