Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Is it available anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Sramaker posted:

So i should avoid The Road to Dune?

Another thing is Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune both mention (I did look at the back of the books but didn't buy them) say based directly on "Frank Hebert's fanl outline" so does that mean after he became a weird old man?

Yeah Kevin J is not a good writer (i have som of his Star Wars novels (I didn't know better when i was younger) and the only Star Wars thing he made i found okay was the Tales of the Jedi comics) but besides him and Karen Traviss who else was a bad Star Wars writer? Which ones were good (besides Timothy Zahn) and which were just plain in between?

Warhammer related: The Sisters of Battle novels by James Swallow are they okay?

Aaron Allston was great. Michael Stackpole was mediocre, although some if his stuff ranged from merely ok to decent. Crispin was ok. It goes downhill from there.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

That is a fantastic piece of world-building.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The main antagonists in Baneblade are Orks, and it's a pretty decent book.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Master of Mankind is never coming out, is it?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

I personally think the inquisitor looks waaaay too young. Even with rejuvinant treatments, an Inquisitors (Lord of an ordo no less) should not look and act like a 17 year old teenager. It ends up giving off a very anime vibe which I don't think suits the setting. Everything else looked amazing though.

The young guy was just an inquisitor, I think. The guy in red power armor was probably the Lord Inquisitor.

What the gently caress was wrong with his pistols? In a setting with handguns that fire high-explosive rockets, that thing looked like it was set permanently on "flesh wound."

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Someone in the Heresy literally remembers assassinating Martin Luther King Jr., so :iiam:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I always thought the DA's thing was protecting dark secrets that everyone knew about already.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Pounded By The Primarch

Tyrannids Tyrannized My Taint

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Struck From The Sky By My Battle-Brother

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

This is the first time you've heard of PETA right? They're the animal rights equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church and run kill houses that pretend to be shelters because pets are "tainted".

Not only that, but PETA will abduct your dog off your porch so they can kill it as a "stray."

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Pounded in the Brown-Eye of Terror by the Hammer of the Emperor

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Waroduce posted:

sir have you read the goon asoif and ham crossover

He said bad fanfic. That goon fanfic is the only ending ASOIAF is ever going to get.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Waroduce posted:

that first one was a cover for Armor by John Steakly which was a p sweet book. I wish he wrote more.

I think he did a vampire book, and then stopped. Nothing in the vein of Armor ever again, sadly.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It's warhams, there are no good guys, only increasing degrees of assholes.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Answer my question, what the hell do you lose from the setting by letting Marines be women.

The mockery. Warhams was meant to be satire, ripping into the ridiculous slabjaw beefchest SPESS MUHRINE EMPRAH EMPRAH UNF stereotype. You add women to that, you're treating it dangerously like legitimate fiction. Admittedly, modern 40k has been drifting in that direction, so whatever.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I'm reading The First Heretic for the first time in a while, and Cyrene's character really sticks in my craw. ADB can write female characters well, Betrayer is proof of that, but most of the time he strikes me as uncomfortably skeevy. Cyrene is introduced as an alluring 17 year old prostitute with years of experience and powerful lovers and is naked under her robe.

Really? Still not the most godawful female character in 30k or 40k, but that's not saying much.

Nice job with the pedophilia, ADB.

Excuse me, that’s not pedophilia, but more properly termed ephebohahaha gently caress that noise, that’s stupid.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

:cheers:
I'll never stop singing praise for McNiell's AdMech stuff.
He's a mediocre writer otherwise, aside from Storm of Iron, and it'd be a real shame to have his good work passed over just because of the name on the cover.

Also on the topic of weird, I remember Atlas Infernal being a kind of wild ride.
Just the cover alone is beautifully weird and goofy. :allears:

Inquisitor Quark looking good. What happened to his lobes?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

An inactive Necron ship that, upon their arrival, slowly begins to stir. Necron ships don’t generally have any life support. Can the party escape before their air runs out? Can they disable the ship before the crew revives? Where are they?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

In one of the Ciaphis Cain novels they receive an astropathic message that was sent decades before, the sender having long since retired.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Eisenhorn casually cuts a chaos dreadnought in half. It’s an interesting contrast to how much trouble he had fighting one CSM earlier in the series.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Zasze posted:

All in universe evidence suggests his ascension would grant him dominion over human souls like slanesh and the eldar which seems baaaad.

Look at this heretic. Those souls rightfully belong to him.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The Battle Hymn of the Republic itself used the tune from John Brown’s Body.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

He was mad... but he was also right. He learned to accept it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Good writing.

Plavski posted:

Ben Counter is the writer.

:thunk:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

My favorite part of Ravenor was the elite inquisitorial team coming up against their most brutal foe, and failing: the sheer grinding horror of clerical work in the Administratum.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I’m the barrel that is only 1/5 of the length of the overall bolter

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Also Watchers of the Throne, right at the end.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It’s immediately before, so rowboat isn’t up and about yet but boy howdy there sure is something happening under the palace!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

D-Pad posted:

When do new black library books launch? If Solar War is out tomorrow can I get it midnight tonight or sometime tomorrow? I haven't been this excited about a book launch since dance of dragons.

And look how that turned out! Thanks to you, this is how the book is going to end now:

Warboss Gurm posted:

Sunset found 'im stompin' in the grass, choppin'. Every waaagh was louder than the one before, and carried farther. By the time the moon came up 'e was crumpin' lousy gits. The more 'e rocked, the more 'e waaaghed, but the more 'e waaaghed, the 'arder 'e grew, and his bloodlust sent 'im charging to the fight to crump some more gits.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know what some of you guys have against the Text-To-Speech series. It's certainly less dour and depressing than a lot of 40K lore material.

Because it treats the source material with as much reverence and seriousness as it deserves.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

The last 40k book I'd probably ever reread would be Ben Counter's Daemon World. The concept is sound but all I can remember of it was that the ending came out of nowhere and was a massive flub at the same time.

Was that the one where the grey knight talks an abominable intelligence into converting to chaos, so that it becomes a daemon he can stab?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I liked that lieutenant, especially how she looked ready to light up that inquisitor at the end until you wave her off.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

I had that omnibus and honestly forgot that story even existed.

That said, I remember Dead Sky Black Sun but only because it goes into WTF territory. And to this day I can't remember how they get there. Something about a train...

A giant mutant train appears out of nowhere and opens the doors to its fetid interior in front of the main characters. “Get in, losers, we’re doing heresy.” The main characters board the train, and it drops them off on the World of Wombs.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

rocket_Magnet posted:

This is an excellent way to describe that book, spot on. I stopped half way through as I got fed up with it even though guillimans thoughts & views were gripping, reading the 3rd paragraph about the new type of marine with his new type of gun and how awesome it was got really old really quick.

I just tuned out every part that was an obvious advertisement for little plastic men and it was ok. Really, though, the only combat scene that even stood out was that one chaos marine trying to go prone under a repulsor tank and getting squeezed out like a tube of toothpaste.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It’s going to be alpharius and omegon switching sides. No one will notice or be able to tell the difference.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

An inquisitor who repeatedly orders an exterminatus is actually in significant jeopardy of losing his job; an LAPD officer is only in serious danger of getting a month’s paid vacation.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Some dude named Horace did that once.

How did that go? Hurr, easy.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Emperor is pretty clearly volcel, which explains his incredible power.

Then he goes from being volcel to being spermjacked (geneseedjacked?) to make the Grey Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Well, they did say one of the loyalist primarchs was going to fall to chaos...