Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Big E understands how to manipulate people, but not how to raise sons. He's a lovely dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the Shiria Calpurnia novels is exactly that. Whichever one revolves around the Rogue Trader contract signed by the Emperor himself. Basically everyone wants it for various reasons.

That's a part of Nemesis, isn't it? That daemon-assassin thing wants the contract so it can consume E's blood and assassinate him or some poo poo as I recall.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

AndyElusive posted:

I've never read a Shiria Calpurnia novel and it's been a while since I've read Nemesis but why do I remember there being some kind of plot to get the Emperors blood from a Rogue Trader permission slip by some kind of demon assassin as well? Was that its back up plan or something?

I'm sure there was, because I have never read a Shira Calpurnia novel either and yet I distinctly remember that godawful plot point.

I concur, however, that Nemesis is inexcusably dumb.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fried Chicken posted:

Yep, ok, this is how they are in my mind now. That fits too well to be anything otherwise

They are the Bearers of the Word. That word: 'MURRICA.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, I really liked that aspect. It shows how all the different forces of the Imperium deal with Titans. The Guard armour, has a plan, tanks, can technically do something, but if their titan doesn't show, they're totally screwed. The top grade PDF, from the start of the book, has a crappy scanner, can make it's way around undetected for awhile, but if a titan detects them, they're totally screwed. The low grade PDF? They're literally meat shields.
But then you got the ADmech. The skitarii have got all sorts of weapons to take down titans, as well as being just crazy enough to use them. Work best when they're backing up titans though. And then there's titans.
It does an excellent job of showing just how badass the Titans really are, because you see all the forces the Guard consists of. And how they lose badly. Besides, it does a fantastic idea of explaining the whole Adeptus Mechanicus are different than the Imperials, the way they interact with technology, their beliefs. Before that there were the couple of archtypes, the crazy adept who will sacrifice anything for new technology, and the reliable if a little odd enginseer.

The game itself does a good job of demonstrating just how ludicrously powerful the titans are. Even the smallest ones can melt large swathes of an army in a single turn of shooting, and as they get bigger the firepower gets even more extreme. There are ways to take them down without using another titan, but it's rare that large numbers of your troops/vehicles/buildings don't wind up incinerated in exchange.

Of course, when they finally go down they have a tendency to explode violently and melt everything within a pretty large radius around them.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

maev posted:

The more interesting thing than being Manipulated By Aliens is what exactly the Alpha Legion are about Post Heresy, its almost begging for a book set around 40k with the Alpha Legion at the helm. Whatever convoluted background the Alpha Legion have its likely that no one story will ever encapsulate the Legion, especially since its been mentioned a few times that the Legion is massive and operates completely independently of even itself around the galaxy.

Its likely that one fleet will hide on a Space Hulk loving up some Chaos while seeking to topple the Imperium as per the Cabal's original vision, while some try to pull the plug on the Emperor and keep at arms length from anything Chaos. Both fleets apparently will think that they are the 'real' Alpha Legion.

That's how I see the 40k Alpha Legion. They went too deep, lost the plot, and more or less fell to Chaos as a result... though a good few of them aren't even aware of it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

One Legged Cat posted:

Haha no, I like making money and intelligent decisions

Eh, one out of two ain't bad.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

pentyne posted:

More like 1/3 out of 2. GW has fallen pretty far since their heyday.

I was being immensely facetious.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Safety Factor posted:

Stop after God Emperor. Do not continue. God Emperor is my favorite of the series, but things get really weird and bad after that.

God Emperor was a good kind of weird. That book hosed with my head when I read it at 17.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cythereal posted:

It crops up in Unremembered Empire. The Space Wolves have taken it upon themselves to start policing the supposedly loyal Legions and Primarchs just in case they're not as loyal as they seem.

Not so much taken upon themselves as filling the role they (and possibly the World Eaters) were designed to do in the first place.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Angron's character development stops because he is a wreck of a human being; the nails were implanted in his adolescence and more or less stopped any sort of emotional development in its tracks. To me, at least, it's what makes him sympathetic-- he knows that he has tremendous power, but also that there is something fundamentally wrong with him and that he can't really come to grips with it or fix it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It's been a while since I read Legion, but I've been wondering for a while if anyone is ever witness to Alpharius/Omegon other than the "twins" themselves. In other words, is it possible that there's some weird Tyler Durden thing going on with him?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Waroduce posted:

Blessed is the wallet too full for debt

Fixed that for you!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook is military sci-fi too (and you might try his Black Company stories if you're willing to dip into fantasy). If you're looking for an interesting BL book a little off the beaten path, you might try Titanicus by Dan Abnett. While loads of 40k books mention titans, books written from the perspective of their crews are a little less common.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've just finished Flight of the Eisenstein, and found it thoroughly entertaining after the beginning portion, before actually boarding the Eisenstein. I've also gotten my hands on Ian Watson's "Space Marine", after hearing it is quite the thing. Fulgrim sounds like it might be a good read, but it comes to my attention that Descent of Angels has listed under, "Other Non-Astartes Imperials" the Emperor of Mankind. Don't tell me they bloody screwed it up, because the Emperor himself being around is a pretty crazy concept.

The Emperor also appears in the First Heretic and Outcast Dead.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Baka-nin posted:

Ya'll are forgetting his appearance in that much loved classic Nemesis. :downs:

More like repressing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

You should read Battle for the Abyss. It's a very unique book in the setting, nothing quite comes close to its level of quality.

Nemesis is very close to it in terms of how well it is written and the contribution it makes to the canon.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Deptfordx posted:

£1240, why not buy two?

I've built the two smaller Imperial titans, the warhound and most recently the reaver. There is no way I will ever consider building a warlord.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The issue with the HH books is the scale's a bit more extreme than that. Horus Rising is middling in that sense. You need to read a true classic of the HH series like Battle for the Abyss and then compare it to utter shite like Know No Fear. Honestly, you can just skip to Battle for the Abyss after the first three books, nothing in between them is of any value.

How can you fail to mention Nemesis? It's every bit as good as Battle for the Abyss, perhaps more so.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nemesis is actually kinda fun though. Battle for the Abyss is just trash.

If Nemesis was fun to you, you should be scared.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dog_Meat posted:

I've got a friend who is just getting into 40k and he keeps calling me to say "am I reading this right?". He's also loving the absurdness and macabre insanity of it.

I've realised that after 25 years I'm kind of used to accepting that criminals, heretics and political opponents are broken down to become lobotomized automatons to do basic tasks because there was a galaxy spanning Terminator style war that nearly wiped out humanity (mere footnote in WH40k), dead babies are turned into flying cybernetic cherubs to swing incense around 12 foot tall genetically engineered super soldier religious zealots, entire worlds are turned into grinding, manufacturing hell-holes to create ammunition for wars that have been raging for 20,000 years, tens of thousands of children are snatched from their families to be fed into a machine that may or may not be sustaining a giant corpse that is responsible for keeping mankind from being killed/eaten/raped for one more day and battles that make the Somme look like a paintball game are mere skirmishes as the entire galaxy teeters on the brink of being overrun by marauding green fungus based orcs, swarms of horrific bugs that will literally strip planets like locusts, souless robotic zombies, advanced anime mecha-ripoffs, actual gods and the very real possibility that at any moment half the sector could be dragged into literal hell because that corpse on a giant throne being fed 10,000 souls a day is the only thing holding a dimension crossing black hole shut and untold billions of people are being systematically oppressed because if they were allowed free thought they can actually make things worse.

And these are the good guys. The brainwashed, blinkered, fanatical preachers singing hymns in the gigantic gothic cathedral built on the shoulders of a 100ft tall walking war machine laying waste to cities below are the reason why mankind isn't extinct yet. Sure, it might LOOK like the Spanish inquisition sent hundreds of inhuman armour plated killing machines to go full Rape of Nanking on a city the size of a continent wiping out more women and children than are currently living on earth, but they probably just stopped an infestation of giant space locusts or the birth of a new god or some poo poo.

None of that warp drive bollocks in this world. Hell no. Here we breed mutants with a freaky eye in their forehead because we don't do anything of that faster than light poo poo - we rip a hole in the fabric of the universe, fly our space monasteries into the hole and get the screaming three eyed guy to tell us when to turn so we don't fly into the teeth of a gigantic hell-demon or take a wrong turn 5000 years into the past and wind up with tentacles for eyes. And when we come out the other end with half our forces either lost, insane or 10 years behind us we don't do any of that air support poo poo. We rev up our swords with built in chainsaws, recite prayers to our guns, strap ourselves into a free-falling diving bell and hurl ourselves to the surface with the intention of ruining the poo poo of everyone and everything regardless of if it's human or not.

God, I love 40k...

This is one of the most cogent descriptions of why 40k is so awesome that I have ever read.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 21, 2016

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

One of the Gray Knights codices mentions the fact that there is a box on Titan in the GK fortress monastery that is marked with the same sigils as the Golden Throne itself. Precisely what it does, nobody knows, but the right to use it is granted to the Grand Master of the Gray Knights should it ever appear that humanity is about to fall.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cythereal posted:

Especially the chapters that already have geneseed problems, like the Imperial Fists and Raven Guard.

Stabilizing that kind of thing might be a reason to bring Corax back, though. He alone has the Emperor's original notes and research on the invention of geneseed if I remember Deliverance Lost correctly.

Didn't the Alpha Legion steal those?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

pentyne posted:

Have the 2 missing primarchs ever materialized in the fluff? I recall the whole one legion was sanctioned by the wolves and one suffered a tragedy and when Horus was doing his chaos coma he walked by the 2 chambers and commented on how much potential was cut short.

Back in 2015/6 wasn't the missing primachs supposed to be the main subject of a book or novella? I swear I remember that being banded around semi seriously a few years ago.

GW has said repeatedly that they will not flesh out the two lost primarchs as they want that avenue to be available for homebrew space marine chapters. Anything that has been said has been circumstantial at best.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

D-Pad posted:

See that just confuses me more. The specific use in the book I am talking about is in the 200th year of the campaign during the beginning Horus Heresy, so it was long after the Council of Nikea. That psyker also references his teacher who presumably had been using his powers for long before as well. Which would mean the Dark Angels never stopped using their Psykers after the council for the timeline to make sense.

Another thing that has me confused after reading the wiki entry on the Council is that it sounds like everyone at the Council knew about the dangers of the warp and daemon possession etc, but in the first few books of the Horus Heresy most of the characters except the Primarchs seem completely unaware the warp is anything but that which they travel through in interstellar trips.

I think that the understanding was generally that the Warp itself is hazardous to material life, but the knowledge of the sentient beings that dwelled there (i.e. the gods of Chaos) was actively suppressed.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MariusLecter posted:

I got the impression, specifically from Betrayer audiobook, that World Eaters were the slavs of 40k.

The Terrans that formed the first recruit classes of the legion were drawn mainly from what is now eastern Europe. The Death Guard, interestingly enough, came from the British Isles (or whatever they are in 30k, since all of Terra's oceans have been evaporated).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Endman posted:

Master of Mankind drops a lot of little hints that the Emperor's backstory might not be true.

The two examples I can remember off the top of my head are the scene at the beginning of the book where a Custodian is sent to kill someone and they quip that he's just a weapon from the dark age of technology; the second is when he's showing a 'flashback' to his past to another Custodian and the Custodian asks if this is actually true and the Emperor avoids answering.

As I recall, one of those flashbacks featured the Emperor covering a skull of a deceased relative with clay, and using sea shells to replicate eyes. This practice was common (look up the Jericho skull, for an example) in the eastern Mediterranean several thousand years before the common era, which is supposedly when the Big E was born/created. My suspicion is that the allegation that the Emperor is a Dark Age weapon gone wild is simply a theory from observers to explain a being that really just doesn't make sense any other way.

Katt posted:

I thought Chaos Gods worked on the same logic as Discworld gods. In that their power is directly related to the number of worshipers or even just people who are aware of and dread them.

That the emperor kept them secret to keep them from gaining power. And that the Horus Heresy served to bring them to light for all of humanity and so increasing their power greatly as billions of humans spends their living days worrying about them.

It's more that they are empowered by specific emotions and activities reflecting them-- rage, lust, ambition and despair. Worshipful followers are great and all, but the gods themselves achieved sentience through psychically active species doing and feeling things that riled up the warp in particular ways so they don't necessarily need an organized religion.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 18, 2017

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are there any stereotypical American themed imperial guard regiments in the setting? I know there are some old over-the-top regiments, like the praetorian guard (see image), but for the life of me I can’t think of anything that is overly influenced by the USA except for the John Rambo’s in Catachan.

Mordian Iron Guard are partially based off of the late 19th century USMC as I recall.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DirtyRobot posted:

Aren't there also rumours of Ferrus Manus coming back in 40k (or he already is, and he's leading the Legion of the Damned or some weird thing)?

Thematically, it'd make sense if those fuckers forced him back to life in a form that was 100% mechanical--you know, that thing he despised and warned his sons against a million times. ("Legion of the Damned" also works with "Keys of Hel.")

Well, the whole gorgon/medusa thing that is associated with the Iron Hands would lead one to believe that their primarch's severed head would be of some sort of importance later on... assuming they were able to recover it from the traitors in the first place.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Immanentized posted:

Doesn't fabulous Bill have it?

Fake edit: auto correct too good. I'm keeping that

I think so? I also seem to remember a line in the second of the 30k campaign books that mentioned that the Iron Hands were able to recover it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Groetgaffel posted:

That does sound the most likely.

Yeah I don't see GW going all-in on a Bene Tleilax analogue these days.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Groetgaffel posted:

Well, if you ask me, Nemesis is worse.

That's because it truly is.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Orv posted:

You know I've always thought of the explosive portion of a bolter round as delayed, even a little bit, but I guess if your bullet is actually a rocket then there's not a lot of time you need to delay to explode inside the average Astartes target.

Learn something new about space murder every day.

They're described as having a delayed explosive warhead in a lot of the canon.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MariusLecter posted:

I never considered that description of being a very long delay at all. Like milliseconds after impact where the "Mass Reactive" part kicks in where I read it as the round reacting to hitting something, it's either gone through or not. Either way it's gonna make a boom.

I don't think it's a long delay at all-- just long enough to let burrow into the target a little and blast a big chunk out of it. Naval armour piercing shells worked in a similar fashion: the initial impact armed a fuse, which detonated the charge a split second later.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There's a callback too in one of the 30k books that mentions the Emperor's childhood, and his tribe's practice of using clay and sea shells to sculpt the features of deceased loved ones over their defleshed skulls. That's something that has been observed in Neolithic Anatolia.

And Ahriman owns the Voynich Manuscript and allegedly translated it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Turns out it's just a bunch of well known Latin abbreviations, and it's two cobbled together gynaecological manuals from the 1500's with bits cribbed from various sources as far back as Galen.

Are you basing this off of what the University of Bristol researcher was claiming? Because I think that has been largely refuted.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, something older which has apparently also been refuted.

It's all good. The bullshit flies fast and thick with the Voynich manuscript.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It squares with what the Emperor said about precognition-- that he knows specific details about the future, but the path to those points is obscured to him.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Relevant Tangent posted:

To me letting someone come back from full Daemon Prince/Primarch would be dumb. It's not like you accidentally ascended to that status. Going to be harder to justify than some idiot who spent the last ten thousand years fighting off that particular apotheosis seizing the moment and high-fiving Guilliman in the Ultimate Bro Moment.

Angron was slowly dying/degenerating and was more or less duped into it. It definitely wasn't something he intentionally set out to achieve.

That said, I don't see him switching sides!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Worth remembering too that by the time of the Heresy, Angron's markedly degenerated from what he was after being reunited with his Legion. Angron's later actions may not square with the wise Spartacus archetype he might have represented earlier on, but they fit quite well with the rage-monster more or less bleached of his humanity that he was by the time he became a daemon prince.