Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

Shame they couldn't get Mark Strong back to voice Titus. So many 40K games try to do the deep imposing voice thing but they always sound forced, while Strong just sounds like that on a regular day.

Yep I’m disappointed that Mark Strong isn’t back as Titus, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whole lotta bangers on deep discount on Steam (and even deeper discount on Fanatical). I already own pretty much everything I would have wanted but I'm shilling pretty hard to my friends right now lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NihilCredo posted:

Note: don't buy Chaos Gate Daemonhunters from the Steam sale, you can get it for $11 through Humble Choice until the end of May.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Also GOG has Epic 40k: Final Liberation for free right now.

Dunno if it's any good, but hey it's free. :shrug:

Edit-- Speed Freeks free alpha is live right now, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iej4lTVI_Tg

Edit-- lol, Fire Warrior is $0.89 on GOG. :shepspends:

And when you're done, read the book that's orders of magnitude better than the game!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 26, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Game idea:

Warhammer 40K: Arbites, basically SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six but Warhammer, FPS tactical shooting where sometimes you have to defuse a hostage situation or bomb threat, sometimes you have to breach a void ship and neutralize a bunch of heretics or genestealer cultists, and sometimes you kick down a door and lob in a flashbang to find out you just interrupted a Daemonhost summoning ritual.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are the Old Ones and the Slann the same thing in 40K? I know Age of Sigmar has the Slann but I swear they were a 40K race too. Am I crazy?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So are the Slann sort of a shared element between Age of Sigmar and 40K, like the Chaos gods?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I like airplanes and dogfights and I just blind-bought ‘Outgunned’, did I gently caress up?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd like to see a team up between Cawl, Trazyn and Ahriman to see which one of them can be the biggest kleptomaniac knowledge seeking dick.

It’s Trazyn, he’s been at it the longest.

But I’d like to see the other two try to steal from him with some elaborate scheme and Trazyn just sighs and says “amateurs.”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sharknado slashfic posted:

Can we have a few Harlequins as a treat too

Hey, sure, I’m sure Trazyn has a troupe or two in his gallery.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Refresh my memory, how do Tyranids achieve FTL travel?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

Yeah thats what I always thought, they're real slow but theres so many of them, and what we're seeing is the tail end of their 96 million year journey from Andromeda or wherever

The thing is that space is Real Big, if they’re traveling sub-light between star systems then humanity has like millennia of advance warning of where they’re going and what planets they’re going to try and eat. They need some kind of FTL for them to be any kind of real threat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Calax posted:

Yes, but also no.

The fact that they were floating between stars would mean it'd be very hard to pick them up until they actually hit the manderville point of each new system. Assuming they're moving close to luminal velocity, they could basically scream in system faster than most could react. After they ate a system, you could make an educated guess what direction that they were going to go, but you wouldn't know for sure because they'd kill any thing trying to watch them.

Sure, but if they’re going less than FTL, after the first attack you wouldn’t see another attack for decades to centuries, if not longer. That makes for a somewhat less impactful existential threat.

In other news I had some Amazon digital credit to burn so I bought Pariah and Penitent for my kindle, but I’m thinking I’m going to re-read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies first since it’s been an extremely long time since I read them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there a suggested reading order among the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin books for when I should read Magos?

Unrelated but one thing I liked in the 8th edition codexes is that they all had essentially the same galactic map but with faction-specific details picked out. I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity that the official Warhammer Community didn’t digitize all of those maps into an interactive website where you could click on filters to see how different factions line up or overlap, etc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Bee posted:

I thought they literally did that recently

Oh poo poo, can you link it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CottonWolf posted:

You didn’t ask about Orks, but I feel Brutal Kunnin’ is worth a recommendation for Xenos books too.

Is there an audiobook version chock full of silly Orky voices? Or should I stick with the ebook?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OPAONI posted:

Audiobook and it rules.
Well I'm convinced haha

Edit — lmao within the first 60 seconds of the audiobook it said the phrase “seeing out of his own kneecaps” in reference to the craziness of warp travel and I couldn’t stop laughing, but maybe this is the rum & cokes talking

Edit again— it just said that an Ork with a unicycle was “spectacularly bad at navigating stairs” and I almost spit out my drink, holy poo poo

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 5, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think I asked this once before, but does Liber Xenobiologis reference Xenology in any way? I love cross-pollination like that, especially for a relatively old and obscure book.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh poo poo, a new Simon Spurrier novel? His ‘Fire Warrior’ is one of my favorite BL books of all time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

He played Eisenhorn in the Xenos videogame adaptation, and I maintain he’d do a good job as Eisenhorn in a live action adaptation too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

GW are releasing The Art Of The Horus Heresy which is funny because it's just a collection of the book covers, and most of the book covers quite frankly suck.

I was a little curious what that book was going to be, thanks for convincing me not to buy it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OPAONI posted:

I need them to have a 40 page argument/vent session.

Alternately, a completely baffling BL mandate where the two never speak to each other again, for no discernible reason. Really lean into it, where one leaves the room just as the other enters, to the point where characters wonder if they’re not both the same person because no one ever sees them in the same place at the same time. Have bizarre contrivances for why they can’t even talk with each other over vox. Get really stupid with it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 6, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kylaer posted:

He's been writing the sequel to Double Eagle.

It's one book, but it's already sprawled out into four volumes :unsmigghh:

Has he really been writing a sequel to Double Eagle or is this a bit?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe it's because I'm in a post teatd fugue, but I bought brutal kunnin' on audible, and I just absolutely can not get into the VA, who seems to be afraid to raise his voice, which works very poorly for an ork book- though in fairness, it is perhaps a book not well suited for narration, what with orks screaming all of the time

Shame, because it seems like a pretty funny book. Maybe I’ll read the analog version one day.

Moving on to soul hunter instead!

Speaking of Mike Brooks, I’d listened to like 6 hours of this months ago, forgot all of it in the intervening time (this is a big problem for me if I take long breaks while listening to an audiobook, this isn’t the book’s fault) and restarted it today. It IS a funny book!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mikojan posted:

I remember loving double eagle, but I honestly can't recall a single thing that happens in that book.

I remember the ending, where a character gets shot and dies in the cockpit and his plane just flies off into the sunset until the fuel runs out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Warhammer: 2019

It’s about the political climate of the era and it ends up being the inciting incident that gets the Emperor to say “what the gently caress? Okay I need to step in” and start his unification campaign.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also with warp fuckery with the passage of time, hasn’t it not been anywhere near 10,000 years from their perspective?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah before I forget, someone recommend some good 40K audiobooks to burn future Audible credits on.

As a frame of reference, I already have:
The Infinite and the Divine
Lords of Silence
Assassinorum: Kingmaker
Brutal Kunnin’
Ciaphas Cain: Vainglorious
Rites of Passage
Servants of the Inquisition
A bunch of Adepta Sororitas audiobooks

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Potato Salad posted:

you already do Eisenhorn?

Not as an audiobook, but I do own the print editions of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. I’ve been meaning to re-read them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sorry to double-post, but if I like buying codexes for lore and art and less about rules and stats (although I guess that stuff is neat too), are the 10th edition Necron and Mechanicus codexes worth my time when compared to the 9th edition ones?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Calax posted:

Always read Cain books as pallette clensers rather than bulldogging your way through them. THey're more about the characters bouncing off each other, so the plots kinda get samey until MUCH later.

If you're into the newer Necrons, Infinite and the Divine is basically a Comedy.
Also if you want a bite sized dose of Trazyn/Orikan to see if that flavor of Warhammer is for you, don’t sleep on the short story “War in the Museum” by the same author.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

D-Pad posted:

My dream novel is Navigator lady vs Trazyn/Orikan and/or a teamup of all three. It would be so perfect.

I want a Trazyn book (or short story anthology) that’s just him and his servants committing increasingly elaborate and insane heists to steal random poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kylaer posted:

:haibrow:

Especially if he tries to steal the Emperor.

Honestly I want to see Trazyn and Erebus face off somehow. Only Trazyn is annoying enough to give Erebus what he deserves. Or maybe a Trazyn/Cawl team up against Erebus.

Basically I just want to see Erebus get clowned on for a whole book.

Trazyn tries to steal Erebus and put him in the collection. Like, kidnap the man himself and put him in Solemnace permanently in a goofy compromising pose in stasis for all eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there’s a couple little “oh that’s neat” moments in TEATD3 but it doesn’t fundamentally rewrite the lore. finding out stuff like the origins of lilean chase and that Xanthus (one of the Inquisition’s founders) is Basilio Fo is cool, but if you expected anything other than “Horus fights the Emperor, the Emperor kills Horus, the Emperor is badly wounded and gets installed on the Golden Throne” then I don’t know what to tell you.

New book series coming soon: The Real Horus Heresy

“I’m sure you’ve heard the stories about the civil war. As they say, everything is canon, but none of what you read is true. My name is Garviel Loken, and I’m here to tell you what REALLY happened.”

Another 20-year 60-book series aw yeah baybee!