Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glazier posted:

I don’t know how old you are but in the late 80s early 90s Intel Inside branding was inescapable, your grandmother knew the loving Intel jingle. Cyrix Instead was goddamn genius.

No, the genius was the person who came up with the Intel Outside slogan that they also used. I don't know if it was before or after though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Nope. I have a full mustache and goatee and I can't paint worth a poo poo.

So you're one half Hitler?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't like MtG. Not only is it expensive, but also no one seems to play it the way I like - zero stakes, all cards allowed in any number, 3-6 person games, just having fun.

You're complaining about Magic being expensive, and also complaining about the rule WOTC put into the game nigh on 25 years ago to prevent people buying wins? Classy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most stuff probably gets one printing, maybe two.

Pretty much. I've heard it said by authors that staying in print when you're alive is hard enough, but staying in print after you're dead means being a best seller. Pratchett, Jordan and Gemmell are still in print, but authors like Richard Laymon and Robert Asprin have essentially disappeared and even a bunch of David Eddings books are "between editions" now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moller posted:

I'm still using a T420. :420:

I don't think I'd want a computer that smoked every day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Trabant posted:

You don't get it, he's Steve McQueen reborn.

Doesn't seem likely, he's happy with three gears instead of 30.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mostlygray posted:

When I was in college in the '90s, my friend and I once wondered what we would hear on classic rock stations once we got "old" We joked about jamming out to Beck with our kids in the back seat.

I'm pushing 40 now and I turned on a local classic rock station a few days ago while driving my kids. What do I hear? "In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey..." I start singing along and my kids start looking at me weird.

We're all old now.

We can rebuild you. We have the obsolete and failed technology.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I thought Looms made Time Lords.

Looms make prophecies about who needs killing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Ah, my younger self. I like to keep him next to where my heart used to be. Beware younger Manny, don't trust Domino. But then again you knew that.

E - for actual thread content. Point & click adventure games. I haven't heard of many recently. Aside from, what. The Homestuck one, Dropsy the Clown, and Thimbleweed Park. Dead genre?

Caren and the Tangled Tentacles is worth a look. Not only is it point and click, it's Commodore 64.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Geoj posted:

This is actually shockingly common in military applications. Partly budgetary constraints, partly "if its not broken don't fix it" and partly "some old hardware is more reliable than new."

For instance, the Space Shuttle (as of its last mission) and the ISS were/are run by 386 systems.

Going back a bit, but this is actually a really good idea if you think about it. As any retro PC gamer knows, many games are unplayable on modern processors because they weren't written to be cycle locked and as a result they run at insane speeds. Now, imagine that happening with the software used to time an attitudinal adjustment.

Obsolete technology can obsolete software too. The best example may be the microscope puzzle in The 7th Guest, where you play a game against an AI. The AI is coded to think about each move for exactly one second. Even in 1993 there was an obvious difficulty difference between minimum spec and ninja PCs, but on modern processors the puzzle becomes unbeatable because the AI is able to explore the entire game space with every single move.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I had a boss who loved that style of mouse, said all his RSI issues went away once he switched to it.

I've had two colleagues back to back sitting next to me who needed a vertical mouse due to rotator cuff injuries. They would have transferred the same one across, probably, except one of them was right handed and the other left handed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

T-man posted:

I'm left-handed but I use computer mice with my right hand, is that not normal for lefties?

Generally not, although I do as you do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

What the hell is that Snake Plissken cartridge?

Exactly what you'd think it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4E6bKUHDY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Also, the poster mentioning having to look up a certain word on the owners manual to unlock a game gave me a flashback to something I haven't thought about in years. Back in the 80s when choose your own adventure books were The Cool New Thing, I had one called Be An Interplanetary Spy (or something like that). Not only did you CYOA, but the some of the decisions you made were based on solving puzzles in the book. One involved copying the ISBN and then doing a math problem based on it, and that told you which page to turn to to avoid peril.

That was some top of the line interactive fun back in the Stone Age.

Be An Interplanetary Spy was a series, not a book. I don't know how many there were, but there were at least seven because as a kid I had a box set of the first five and a loose copy of #7 but never had #6.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

Electronic transfers still suck in the US. I tried paying my rent and it's over the previously unspecified limit for a Zelle transfer, and they were unwilling to raise the limit, or do anything with the routing number and account number I have for the landlord. My girlfriend had to pay the rent because the limits at her bank for Zelle are $3000 instead of $2000.

What sucks is that you're paying over $2000 for rent.

Bonking for money (AKA "contactless payment") is at risk of being DOA in the UK because it has a hard limit of £30. I can understand why, and I'm not entirely unhappy for that reason, but when you can't pay for a meal for two with it and you still have to get your card out unless you have exactly one NFC card in your wallet it's very inconvenient.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was working an internship on Maui in the summer of 2007 and, near as I can tell, somebody rented the house that shared a wall with ours for the weekend and spent the whole time 1. loving and 2. playing Orinoco Flow on repeat.

They seemed to take an occasional break from the loving but Enya never stopped

At least Orinoco Flow has rhythm. I was staying at a friend's house once and got woken at 3am by his neighbours loving to Dylan's original version of Mr Tambourine Man. I felt like Marlon Brando at the end of Apocalypse Now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

in the jingle-jangle morning I'll come following you

Checks out.

I don't think anybody was coming, is the point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

If someone wanted to start a successful, fresh and new thread on failed, aged and old tech over in GBS, I'd be cool with this one getting closed. We've had a good six years, better than the Vita or WiiU, I guess.

This thread can never close, as soon as it becomes obsolete it's relevant again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Someone once broke into my old Peugeot and only stole the removable front off of the stereo. Didn't steal the stereo itself and didn't steal the CDs that were lying on the passenger seat or the still shrink wrapped DVDs i bought for a gift that day. Still baffled by that....

I suspect that the guy who broke in wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and thought the removable front was the whole stereo.

That, or he was going for the stereo and heard someone coming so had to run with only the front.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

I just saw an image thread in GBS with a '56k no' warning. Are there people out there still in 56k? Is the modern internet even possible on 56k?

Probably not, but I do think the bandwidth-friendly thread isn't obsolete because of mobile users. I stopped reading the Game of Thrones threads because pricks insisted on posting as much as a loving gigabyte of animated meme GIFs on the same page and going "hurr, get a real internet" when you complained.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

spog posted:

Fridges, washing machines, electric iron, bicycle?

The gun hasn't changed for 100+ years

Bicycles have changed massively since their origination. They now have suspension, for one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kamrat posted:

Every time I think there's no more obscure formats left to cover Techmoan posts a video of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT3_cS1KNYc

I wonder how many obscure formats there actually is, feels like there's millions of them and techmoan have them all stored in his garage.

I used to have the exact model of Philips tape recorder on the left in that thumbnail. It's actually a lot cooler than it looks, because it's part of a reporter's portable interview kit - hence the small decibel meter in bottom right. The full package includes a microphone and a leather case with shoulder strap and full access to the controls, which are a joystick designed to be operated one-handed and without looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Reddit posted an essay about the evolution of the UK’s telephone numbering scheme.

It’s way more interesting than it sounds mostly because it’s insane.

It's more interesting than it sounds because some of it is poo poo he made up so he could wave his walking stick at all this modern tomfoolery. For example, after Phone Day all UK numbers became a standard 11 digits long whereas previously London numbers had been only 10 digits. All the trouble with the 02x numbers, and previously the 011x numbers, arose because an extra digit needed to be added to do this. The only major fuckup in the system is that nobody thought to give 01121 to the first city in line and 01122 to the next, and likewise with the regions of London 0207 and 0208, to have as many locations as possible on 5-digit area codes. The effects of Cardiff being 029 and everyone getting two extra digits on their number is just a knock-on effect of that because they kept doing it.

One thing neither the Reddit rant or the colossally unfunny dickheads mentioned was automatic exchanges, which rolled out in 1922 and created the system used until STD was implemented. These subdivided the large cities with a junction system by allocating a different three-letter code to every sub-exchange, which you could then dial with rotary pulses. In Manchester, for example, all numbers in Prestwich would begin with 773 (PRE), all Whitefield numbers would begin with 944 (WHI) and all Radcliffe numbers would begin with 723 (RAD). This meant that you could dial 773xxxx from anywhere in Manchester and be directly connected to Prestwich xxxx without passing through an operator.

It's worth reading the Wiki page on telephony in Manchester, actually. Manchester has been close to the cutting edge all the way back to 1877, when the UK's first telephone engineers opened shop.