Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Grammatically, that is the correct thing to do. Narratively, I'd think long and hard about doing a thing like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Martello posted:

Just drop "serpentinely." Or say it better. But seriously, it's a good line. If you can come up with that kind of poo poo off the top of your head, you don't need no emotion thesaurus.

Serpentinely is kind of an awkward word, too many suffixes. I like sinuously.

e: Maybe not in that sentence though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Actual real people do and say a lot of things, but not all of them make particularly good reading.

What makes for good reading is the author knowing exactly how and when to use the words they do, and that's not limited to swearing. Swearing is one of those things that, by its nature, is just more obvious.

Still, they're a tool in everyone's toolbox; you don't have to use them if you don't want to, but it's worth learning how they should be applied.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 25, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Really any word is bad if you overuse it needlessly. Didactically refusing to use swears under any circumstances is not going to do anyone's writing any good*. There are times when the word you need is 'gently caress'.

Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale posted:

My red skirt is hitched up to my waist, though no higher. Below it the Commander is loving. What he is loving is the lower part of my body. I do not say making love, because this is not what he's doing. Copulating too would be inaccurate, because it would imply two people and only one is involved. Nor does rape cover it: nothing is going on here that I haven't signed up for.

That's a bit clinical for most times you're going to want to reach for the word, but it makes the point clear enough. Sometimes someone steps in poo poo, not poop, or doodoo, or feces, or excrement.

*Writing for children nonwithstanding

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Somehow I suspect your problem with overuse of a limited few incongruous words isn't really related to cursing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm saying you're fairly well demonstrating relentless overuse of a specific word, how it can stick out like a sore thumb, and how it's not really related to foul language. If it's the only word you use for a thing it doesn't look good, or reflect well on the person (be it writer, conversationalist, or character) who selected that word.

Basically :regd08: is what kills phrasing dead, not the particular words themselves.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

By no means am I advocating the use of a thesarus, especially for conversational usage. But words need to vary in order to flow properly. In most cases where it would be important this happens without thinking about it. In this case you're actively selecting a less-common (or possibly more regional?) term, and additionally affecting it in a manner for intended effect (dropped g is generally intended to achieve a 'folksy' tone).

Like I'm not trying to harp on you about this, this is just a pertinent and interesting example; intentionally or no, you're selecting and using the word in much the same way as one selects a swear word*.

*in most cases. The kentucky meth heads above prrrrobably aren't using 'gently caress' for effect so much as for a comma. But that too establishes tone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

No, because the awkwardness in phrasing you get from avoiding swears in way that their absence is noticable is a really good way to make something an unpleasant read.

If you don't need them don't use them, but conscious avoidance for the sake of it is painful.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm not? Like I said, if you don't have a call for it don't use it, but if a text's avoidance of swear words is obvious, it's going to hurt the flow of that text. It's pretty easy to tell when someone's explicitly phrasing around swears, as opposed to constructing the language such that they're not needed.

e: Like it was a specific answer to that question. You don't come out of reading something saying 'that was great but it needed more swears' because if it was great, there weren't obvious holes in the text where swears should have been.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 26, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Echo Cian posted:

Yeah. It's called "bad writing."

If we're talking about good writing, that won't come up. As has been already said, the only way to get an ear for it is to read more, and pay attention. Much like everything else in this thread.

I'd say that if a writer is relying on swearing constantly to show emotion, they should probably try conveying the same feelings without it, because they might just have fallen into a lazy habit they don't need. Sometimes it fits. Other times it isn't necessary.

That's my point exactly, yeah. I was really only arguing with the 'never swear ever' camp. And when you start framing your language around avoiding swearing it's just not going to sound natural.

You lose a certain amount of expressiveness when you start closing yourself off from a big category of words. This is one of the standard showcases for what you can do with swearing, and it's deliberately contrived, of course-- you wouldn't re-create the scene or anything, but there's a lot of articulation you can get. When you lock yourself out of specific classes of words, you lock yourself out of a lot of tones and connotations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I think the subject of how and why one selects specific words to establish tone is fascinating, and I think dismissing the potential of vulgarity in doing so is nonsensical, is all. v:shobon:v

I probably veered off course far too far at various points. Sorry, it's been a long day.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bruiser posted:

I feel like I have to go in depth to explain where my main character is coming from, and why he does every single thing he does

90% of the time, you absolutely do not. Most necessary exposition can be achieved just by contextualizing your description to match your viewpoint character's perspective (so the mind hoovers up information without realizing it's picking up information), and if you do the work that way the leftovers won't be hugely intrusive.

If the interesting parts of your main character are where they're coming from and why they do what they do, tell that story. If not, breadcrumb it as necessary.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Seems serious to me!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

But really, you need to be asking yourself things like how someone who hates themselves behaves, how they talk, the sorts of things they do. If it's important to the character it'll show up in what they do. If it's critical to their personality it'll permeate their actions.

Self-defeating behaviours are pretty common in such circumstance, but there's a lot of ways you can go with it if you stay away from needing to narrate the fact of the hate.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ouch. No hope of it having been the January issue of something?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Just got two offers from agents on my first novel and an interview at Bungie Studios for a writer position. To everyone mired in the loneliest, bleakest parts of writing, there is hope in this world :unsmith:

Super-congrats. I really enjoy your work, you deserve it.

Waiting on a rejection any day now from Strange Horizons, myself. :toot:

e: that's what I get for saying something, it came this evening. :argh:

neongrey fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 13, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That being said, I think I read mostly fantasy and I read about one book a year that has elves in it, let alone any of the others. The genre has its problems by the truckload but I think a reliance on Tolkien's races has lessened drastically over time.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

This is the least helpful answer in the world, but whatever works for you. Some people can't get a story to completion without having a full outline. Some people just dive right in and would go bats having it all laid out in advance. There's no real way to be sure until you've hosed it up. My best suggestion is just to write down what you know, then see where that takes you. If it goes nowhere without a plan, well, you'll know you need to outline more.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

How do you guys introduce new concepts, lingo etc. into a story without overwhelming the reader, especially if they're common, everyday things in your world? One of the things I plan to write includes stuff like 'arcaneers'- basically, magician-engineers who design and maintain the magitech the universe runs on. I'm just not sure on how to introduce them easily.

If you remember one thing, remember this: if you use a thing every day you do not think about how it works. Every time you use a door you don't think about hinges or what makes that door open the direction it did. You can use this a lot to your advantage, too-- it's very easy to convey that something is ordinary simply by how people in contact with it don't find anything remarkable to say about it.

I've got more I could say on the subject but that's the most important part, I think, and I've got to scoot.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, it's not that self-publishing is never the way to go, I just don't really think it's nearly as broadly applicable as big self-pub advocates would like to say it is.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah if I see the mirror thing, I stop reading, full stop. If that's how an author chooses to solve that particular problem, I'm not going to be thrilled with how they handle other, trickier expository issues.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Coffee in fantasy is fine, for me, anyway, but boy howdy would I not make that comparison.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I know this will sound like an absurdly nice problem to have, but it's really bothering me. I have my first story in an anthology coming up, written by invitation. I'll be alongside a bunch of authors I really respect. The problem is that the story's just dreadful. I reread it for proofs and I can't stand it at all. :( I don't think it's just the usual self-conscious preciousness writers have, either; it really is a pretty unsuccessful piece of fiction on nearly every level.

I don't know what to do. I'm going to be ashamed to see it, and odds are it'll be the worst piece in the anthology by a good margin. But I don't want to pull it - it's a sale, and I'd be inconveniencing the editor hugely if I pulled out now. I might be able to pull out a heroic rewrite at the last minute, but it's so very late.

I apologize again for what must seem like a lot of angst about a good thing, but it's eating me up.

Well really-- say that to the editor, you know? This is what you've got, you're really unsatisfied with the work, but you don't want to pull out, what do they suggest? Sometimes fresh eyes are the important thing for that kind of work in the first place, and there is, as always, the chance that your current impression of the piece is wrong.

But you wouldn't have been invited if the editor wasn't willing to work with you, so work with the editor. If it really is the crap you think it is, you know, they'll work it out in some way or another and you'll look better for having tried to work it out with them rather than just tossing it in their lap as-is or fleeing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

She's actually a trader who wants a steady business, that's all. There's a few more twists in the upcoming chapters, but this is all I'm planning to reveal so far. As for preliminary worldbuilding, I've decided to move that to a prologue chapter instead.

Yeah if you do that, that's going to make anyone who reads it skip the prologue as soon as they realize what's happening. And if they skip the prologue and can follow along with the story fine, you could have saved everyone the trouble and just cut it entirely.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, yeah, there are plenty of writers out there who are good enough to discard rules of punctuation and form for the sake of creating mood and/or atmosphere.

But they're the sort of rules that you need to be extremely proficient with before you break them. You need to know how a period, or a comma, or a semicolon will affect the way a reader mentally ingests your sentence before you start manually tweaking that stuff.

'Cause really, it's a level of fine-tuning that is rarely, if ever, going to be necessary. The words you use are gonna be doing the heavy lifting there, and if you leave the punctuation in some standard form, it's going to have a neutral effect. If you manipulate punctuation for effect and you do it right, it'll enhance it, yeah. But if you do it wrong, your sentences will look awkward at best and unreadable at worst.

That's not to say there's no value in experimenting to see how it works, but it's definitely worthwhile to master how the comma (for example) really works in its natural state before surgically placing or removing them to refine tone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I could go for that. I'm focusing a bit on shorts right now but the more work I get prodded to do the merrier.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 11, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, IRC is perfect for me; my schedule is wacky and shifts around a lot but the only time I'm really unable to be in an irc channel are times when I'm asleep.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I think it's not a huge deal if not everyone does a thing every week, if there's enough people in on it.

Maybe a rotating list of who's up to submit each week? People could swap places if they wanted, I guess, but it'd have to be a swap, not a cancellation.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure 'urgent' is the word but it will affect the pace at which you read the story. Sometimes you want that, sometimes you don't.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Free yourself from the hegemony of style. Write in second person future tense.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, that feels like a personal thing.

If only there were a right way and wrong way to do this, this would all be so much easier.

e: Though honestly I've been focusing a little bit more on reading the shorts a bit more... maybe that's because that's just what I've been putting up though, idk.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 30, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, this might be a weird way to do it since I'm writing in pairs (I write with my ex a lot; I'll do first draft and he'll do second, then we fiddle with the result), but try just retyping the whole thing out. Apparently he catches a ton of poo poo that way that no one does on the first read-through. With that much time since you did it, that might help?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I got nothing for last week, probably not this week either, but I should for next, so yeah. I'm trying to avoid being in the process of redrafting as the crits are coming in like happened with the last one. But that requires some coordination so it takes a little bit more time on my end than I might like.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You're absolutely being an idiot about it. Ideas are the absolute cheapest thing around when it comes to anything creative (hence why the "ideas guy" is such a joke). There is no reason to steal ideas from anyone, let alone from you (generic).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think you understand what criticism is.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I really think your problem is conflating critique and just telling people you don't like what they wrote. Like there's basically no relation between the two at all-- a good critique is good regardless of whether the person giving it liked what they're critiquing or not.

What do you think isn't supportive about telling people what you see needs to be done to make their work better?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah it's hard to resist the urge to explain, but in the end in 90% of cases, if you need to explain what you were going for, you didn't convey it well enough in the first place. (the other 10% of the time, it's just that one guy who never gets anything not getting it, every group's got one, and you probably don't care what he thinks anyway because gently caress that guy)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Also at least one of those dudes is perma-probated.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I have handwritten Xenogears fanfiction that I wrote in high school sitting around in a box somewhere. I used a purple ballpoint pen. The main characters were the members of the male cast I found most attractive, and a mysterious, angsty, and very pretty original character. She wasn't a Mary Sue, guys, she couldn't be, she was just so dark and brooding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

General Battuta posted:

My book is due Monday and I'm preeeeetty freaked out. I should've had plenty of time but then the narrative encountered complications — a cold, a party, a dead dog, a lot of scenes I realized could be way better. Feeling kinda rough.

You have got this. There'll always be something you figure you could have done better, it'll be fine.

• Locked thread