Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just finished a short story that I thought turned out really well, but the question of "city-specific" references kept coming up. Since I live in nyc I thought they'd be nice touches, but won't this kind of pigeonhole me down the line? (IE remaining consistent with the level of specificity, even if the characters need to go somewhere/do something I don't know a lot about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Can we talk about stageplays in this thread too? Or is it only for prose?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I haven't posted in this forum for about 8-9 months now, because I've actually been writing my own first novel and have just finished at around 103,000 words. I've also been putting together a sort of editing bible on the side; precedent images, editing guidelines, character synopses, system explanations so things are consistent, etc. Is this something that other people have done too? It seemed like a good idea, especially for a fantasy novel.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How do you guys deal with the overwhelming urge to keep adding whatever new dumb poo poo you think sounds cool to your longer works when you go back to edit?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know people have posted huge do's and don'ts lists for Sci-Fi and fantasy in here before, and they were great (and very much appreciated), but has anyone come across anything similar for urban fantasy specifically?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HIJK posted:

One good rule of thumb: if Laurell K Hamilton thought it was a good idea, don't do it!

I couldn't remember who that was offhand, and upon googling her name the first thing that comes up is a picture of her in a fedora. Good advice!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

For the record, I would be interested in reading people's actual methods.

1. Go to Starbucks

2. Write

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm kind of curious of whether anyone ever had a friend read something and just tell them it was terrible. A good friend read through the second draft of my book and said it was really good in essence, but needed to be improved in a few areas. That's fine, I love getting feedback. But I'm wondering if anyone's just been like, this is poo poo.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Overwined posted:

The only reason you should feel bad about this is because it should be you that's reading it saying, "this is poo poo".

I thought that was implied.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mapping story beats to your word count seems counter-intuitive. I was obsessing over whether it would be long enough, or too long, but the best advice I've ever received is to just write and not care about the word count. Act structure and sections of the book sure, but not the word count. That's what editing's for, and I ended up at a square 100k words anyways.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Quick question, how have people found agents to submit manuscripts too? I've seen the Twitter prompt list, which is great, but I don't think the stickied thread had a lot of info in it. I have a bunch of friends in the industry I'm going to ask for recommendations, but how have you guys gone about it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Defenestration posted:

I searched "multigenerational" as that's my novel. 0 results. :negative:

"multi-generational' = 1 hit.

"It's like Cutting for Stone, but in space!"

(Try another relevant category and narrow it down from there?)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm working on a new draft of my novel and want to send out letters before the end of the year, but none of my publishing friends have the time to read my manuscript. If I want feedback from people, should I make a thread with a google docs link? Would people even bother reading and commenting on a 100,000 word wip book?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Is there any reason your non-publishing friends can't read it? 100,000 words is a huge as for strangers on the internet unless you're willing to pay them.

They're all being super slow about it, or they're too busy. And yeah, I figured as much which is why I asked.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

100k is a lot to ask without even promising pay once it does come out.

Sorry, new draft = "third draft". I've already gone through a bunch of revisions and it's almost done, but I haven't gotten much feedback from other people, is my concern.

Posting the first 3 chapters for critique sounds like a better idea honestly.

change my name fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 30, 2015

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This poo poo has been going on ever since Virgil wrote the Aeneid.
[/quote]

Joseph Campbell taught me that everyone is just plagarizing the bible, anyways.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"Just sit down and write the book, dummy."
-Albert Einstein

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Help does anyone have any advice about taking the paring knife to your book

I feel like 100k words is too long to query for a first time author

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

100k is perfectly reasonable for a first time author, especially in fantasy.

Eh, I've heard responses ranging from "that's fine" to "pushing it", but I figure if I've ended up at 100k, I should be trimming it down as I edit? Of course a first draft is going to be more bloated than something I've gone over a few times. It's just not getting trimmed as much as I was expecting.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Going back to trimming: just rereading the earlier chapters there's a lot of "tell, don't show", which goes hand in hand with repetition anyways. Something like, "They leaned in close to avoid being overheard". The second part of that sentence is totally unnecessary. I've only cut out 200 something words over 5 chapters, but bloat is bloat.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Chairchucker posted:

The fantasy genre contains fantastical elements such as magic and dragons, and young adult is specifically aimed at young adults, hope that answers your query.

Wait, I've been watching Game of Thrones with my kids this whole time!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hi I am now in the "researching agents" portion of this whole thing and it's actually pretty fun. Kind of like tracking down leads.

(Except for the part where I see that my friends already follow the agents I'm interested in on Twitter, and now I have to harangue them for help)

change my name fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 27, 2015

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there a thread for getting feedback on query letters?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh man, I thought about the Tripod Trilogy today actually. Thinking back to the really implausible scifi books you read as a kid after reading hard scifi is weird, even if that series at least tried to keep things realistic.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

I've thrown out 550,000 words on this book :shepicide:

But I think this draft is finally starting to come together!

My book is 7 books!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hey, so, now that I've finished up my grad school application I've swung back around to editing my book. I'm going back and pruning a lot of purple prose, but in the meantime, could I get some help with my query letter? I've been reading a lot of the queryshark site, but feedback would still be great, even if this is just a terrible first draft.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bGKIuyBd7Bgg1vZ5iBTUIF1wTGInkCp-XISa321EiLg/pub

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It is supposed to be "even", because originally the line was "even in a city full of magic and opportunity". I think I'll change it back to that though, since it doesn't even make sense without later context. And born to die was my just my poor attempt at a noir-ish opening hook that leads into the next sentence, where it's revealed that she'll die young. I might go back tonight and take a second crack at it (and hopefully make things clearer).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, back. I had to catch up with some other things first, but here's my crack at a second draft. Not sure why I was so coy with plot details the first time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VsofgbUfijJLWIsSXYZ9pdHG9CTFSvOP1MERTVLRvlM/pub

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah that's not right. Changed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I should probably go back and explain or hint at it in the query, but in the book it's explicit that she's not a good writer. She works for a Vice knockoff and can't get any of her independent work published.

Also I updated it to say "journalist" instead of writer because yeah, that makes more sense.

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2016

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, third time's a charm I guess.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzB4xWjZZgBDvCCdR2rgDLx44ng5dqWEOSwHCreN5TE/pub

The only problem (besides the fact that I keep making GBS threads this thread up) is that I don't want to make it any longer. I know the whole point is to be succinct and convincing...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Screaming Idiot posted:

That sounds like the sort of story that would just go on and on forever.

I got to the end and threw it in the loving bookstore clerk's face and asked for my money back. Neverending my rear end.

Also thanks for all of the feedback and super long PMs everyone. I'm gonna go ahead and put together a final draft based on what everyone's mentioned.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Stuporstar posted:

All I can remember (I was 10 or so, so it's been a while) is the kid turned out to be such an unpleasant little fuckhead when he got teleported into the world, I couldn't stomach reading about him any longer, put down the book, and never touched it again.

A technically neverending story!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the consensus on submitting to an agent vs. publishing house slush pile? I've heard that the second is slightly easier to get published through, but that you really want an agent to push for you + make sure you're getting more money.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HIJK posted:

Are there any other podcasts like Writing Excuses? I'm not too concernes about genre but anything about writing or publishind or editing would be cool.

The book riot podcast is good for publishing news/seeing what's going on in the industry, but it's not about *getting published*.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gotcha. So it's not really worth it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

crabrock posted:

if every sentence isn't literally a new character i throw the book in the garbage. i have read 0 books

Didn't expect to see a James Patterson fan on here

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're serious about writing your book or whatever, force yourself to spend an hour or two in Starbucks/library/wherever a few times a week. Getting out of the house and into an environment where you can't watch youtube or play a game will do wonders for your productivity.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FYAD jokes aside, has anyone in this thread written YA before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I was more interested in doing a YA sci-fi (like Armada, but good) but sure, I'd be willing to hear what you think.

• Locked thread