Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thel
Apr 28, 2010

This thread has inspired me* to take up refereeing next season (I'm in NZ, so the season doesn't start until April - first CVR course is January sometime, then apparently I can do a level 1 refereeing course straight after that without any actual on-pitch time). Should be hilarious. I'm just hoping that I don't get stuck refereeing U14 girls as my first assignment. :v:

* I don't know what the gently caress. Where the hell did I find inspiration in this thread.

Refereeing qualification is a little bit different here (mostly due to the lower player numbers), there's five stages in the national leagues (then FIFA badge, Oceania tournament, FIFA tournament). The CVR (community/volunteer refereeing) course gets you the introductory referee certificate (which is pretty much for anyone refereeing junior or lower-division adult leagues). Level 1 and Level 2 are both class-based courses, although you have to have a certain amount of on-pitch time to qualify for the L2 course. After that is level 3, which is a eight-hour course, plus requires you to have reffed 15 senior men's games over a full season. Level 4 is all previous + 15 games as a L3 referee + "competency such that the candidate shall be expected to pass" (i.e. don't suck as a ref) + a fitness test + assessment from 3 current L4 refs. Level 4 will have you reffing games outside your home area for the first time. Then Level 5 will have you all over the country, that's all previous + FIFA international referee fitness test + assessment by NZF's head ref + a weekend course.

I'm not expecting to go much beyond Level 2, but we'll see. It seems fairly flat once you do get past L2, there's 6000 people with the IRC, 2000 @ L1, 78 @ L2 and ~250 each at L3 and L4 (Level 2 was only introduced a couple of years ago). No numbers on how many L5 refs there are, but I'm figuring that would be <30.

One thing that seems slightly unusual - they have you refereeing before you can become an AR (you need L1 ref before you can do L1 AR), and then the AR development path is entirely separate from the referee dev path. (I'm assuming you can do both if you want, but it seems like they want you to specialize).

e: Anything I should be doing as early prep, aside from keeping my fitness up (which I'll be doing anyway) and maybe having a gander at the LOAF? I guess I could get my eyes checked. :v: (I wear contacts.)

e2: I ref floorball, so I already know to blow the guts out of the whistle and to look confident even when I don't know what the gently caress just happened. :v:

Thel fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Wait. How was that not dilberate obstruction of a goalscoring opportunity? From the sounds of, it sounds like a textbook case.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ahaha gently caress. Called the local referee coordinator to enquire about course times, got assigned a game on Sunday. :ohdear:

e: Haven't done any of the courses, not even the "this is a whistle and this is how you blow it" intro course. Could be hilarious. First game is going to be an adult women's game too. And I won't have any linesmen. Talk about sink or swim.

e2: Question time!

- With no linesmen, where should I position myself for corners? I'm thinking just outside the field of play, far side of the goal where the six-yard box line meets the goal line. Just because when poo poo goes down it's most likely to do it on the goal line - or is there a "recommended" place to stand?
- Similarly, for formal ("wait for my whistle") free kicks where should I stand? I'm thinking in line with the second-last defender, more-or-less on my diagonal. Thoughts?
- Do I still run diagonals with no AR, or is there a better plan? I get the feeling I'm going to do a poo poo-ton of running.
- Offsides. Obviously I can't keep up with play all the time, so just do the best I can but if I'm not sure don't call it. Should I warn the captains pre-game "no ARs, so don't expect me to call close offsides", or just let it be? This is in a league that doesn't always get assigned refs and almost never gets assigned ARs, so the players should be used to it right?

e3: More questions!

- What do I need to check in regards to player equipment? Shinguards, no jewellery, boots are safe? I don't think I've ever seen a boot check in my life.
- I just realised I don't own a watch. :v: Do I need anything more than a simple digital with a stopwatch function? I don't think lugging my phone around in my pocket is a good idea for some reason.

Thel fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 4, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks guys. Especially for reaffirming the "oh gently caress" reaction. :v: Ah well, I'm just going to go out there and do my best, and if it turns out to be 22 lions and one Christian in the arena then so be it. :D

I'm writing up a bunch of cheat sheets now (the types of cautionable and sendable offences, pre-match checklist etc).

Further questions:
- If you're refereeing solo, do you guys request club linesmen, or not bother? (I have a set of flags)
-> And is it one from each team, or home team to provide both?
-> They can only call ball-out, not which way and definitely not offside, right?

- I've bought a referee's wallet (with game sheet and card slots) - do you guys take the cards out and put them in separate pockets, or just leave them in the wallet? I'm thinking (since my outfit has like six pockets):
-> wallet + score sheets in left breast pocket
-> yellow card in right breast pocket
-> red card in right rear shorts pocket
-> one pen in each of front shorts pocket
-> backup whistle in left rear shorts pocket. How do you guys organize yourselves?

e: I should mention I'm in NZ, so things are a bit different here. Still a bit worried that I'm reffing a third-tier women's game (national -> regional -> tier 1 local [where I'm reffing]) as my first game ever. Oh well it's still probably going to be easier than a sixth-tier men's game.

And after AVB's comment earlier in the thread I think I'm going to avoid using the term "ref cherry". At least there's no under-14 girls involved this time.

Thel fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 6, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Trip report: pretty low-stress mostly. Was a 3-0 win to the home team, yellow-carded one girl for tripping after she'd been cleanly beaten (probably should've had a word with her instead of carding her - she went studs-first into a different player's ankle a few minutes later so I had a word with her then).

Possibly should've given a penalty to the away team in the 89th minute - their player had the ball in the box, moving away from goal. Goalie was between her and the goal, with a defender pretty close as well. Attacker went down but I didn't see much contact, so I called play on. Turns out the goalie ankle-tapped her (with me 15 metres away with a clear line of sight) and I didn't see it. Whoops.

Now I have to submit a form for the card, plus figure out if I need to submit a match report. Ugh.

PS: New boots have flayed the skin off the back of my heel. Owie.

e: managed to forget to start my stopwatch in both halves. :downsgun: Made it fun when the third goal was scored at 2:11 and we started the second half at 1:52, eventually figured out that meant 64'.

Thel fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 7, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Followup: hosed up my note-taking by not getting the yellow-cardee's name, now I have to sweet-talk some dude at the regional HQ into digging out the team card and finding out the name. Ah well, in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small fuckup.

Also found out I'm getting assessed this weekend. :catstare: Seems a bit rough to be assessing people when they haven't had any training yet. Seems especially rough when it's my second game ever. I'm assuming (hoping) it's going to be relatively gentle rather than being a full-on sans-lube experience.

Even better is that my heels are red raw (layer of skin missing), so I'm going to be in pain the entire time I'm reffing. Joy. At least I should still be on a women's game this week so I don't have to hoof it up and down the field at speed that often.

Trin Tragula posted:

(Anyone here been taught the points-of-a-triangle trick, or do they not teach that in areas where you can just wave cards at them from miles away?)

By points of a triangle you mean a more-or-less equilateral triangle having the miscreant (and their captain) at one point, opposing captain at another point, and the referee as the third point?

Over here it seems to be more along the lines of "get close enough that it's unambiguous who the card is for, talk to either them or their captain as needed". I like your process, though, particularly thinking first, talking second and card after.

Trick question time: If the goalie brings down an attacker who's inside the box but moving away from the goal with the ball, what do you award?

Side question: any tips for writing legibly when your hands are going numb? I don't think anyone aside from me could decode my book.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

The trick was it's not DOGSO because the attacker was moving away from goal.

Had to explain that to the opposition coach after he said "should've red-carded the goalie for that ref" and I said "Even if it was a foul, which I didn't see, then it would've been just a penalty, no card."

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Bio-Hazard posted:

Call me what you will, but I've done only a handful of games solo for youth rec, and probably a few dozen duals for high school games. Every other game I've used a diagonal, and I'd like to keep it that way. Some leagues (Latino, sorry to say) I wouldn't do without a diagonal for backup. I've been an official since 2001 (well, active for 6-7 of those years) but I started up doing youth premier games again a few months ago after I moved back into town.

This week I was assigned my first two solo adult centers. Women's Open, divisions 5 and 3. And I'm getting nerves for the first time in a long time. I'm sure I can handle it, but maybe some of you could give me game management tips for soloing?

I absolutely hate soloing. It's probably been 10 years since I've done it.

The womens game is quite a bit slower than the men's. Like here we have 6 female divisions and 17 male divisions, and the second womens division is about the same speed as I was playing last season (15th div mens).

The only tip I can give you for soloing is the ref ABC: Always Be Confident. Even if you get second thoughts half a second after blowing the whistle, you're committed and gotta see it through.

Also close offside calls are literally impossible to make unless you have eyes in the back of your head and perfect positioning. Don't sweat it if you get it wrong, but lean towards calling it rather than not calling it.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Had my second game today. Wasn't assessed which is a shame because I did pretty well. Was talking to a few of the players afterward (one I know from another sport, and one is the wife of a coworker) and they were like "Was that *really* your second game? Wow". Current mood: :smuggo:

Going to take a week off because I have a busy weekend and also my feet are loving killing me right now.

e: Didn't give a yellow card for a tackle that, in retrospect, was definitely reckless. Ah well. That was literally the only thing I did wrong today so I'm pretty happy. Was also the only contentious part of proceedings, too - no other serious fouls. (Well technically I did call one ball out over the goal line as a goal kick when their coach was yelling for a corner, but meh, gently caress the spectators they don't know poo poo.)

Thel fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 14, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Had my first men's game (men's div 4, with prem/central above that, so effectively div 6) today - again, no ARs.

Made a mess of a few calls (blew for offside, look to my right and there's a defender scratching his rear end on the 6) plus one very hotly disputed non-call for a penalty. Attacker and defender shoulder-to-shoulder, both kick at the ball as the keeper dives and both players plus the ball land up going into the keeper, entire attacking team shouts it should've been a penalty. That attacking team was a complete pack of wankers though, the oval office factor is significantly higher in the men's game. Thinking about warning whoever refs them next week that they're a pack of assholes.

Also: going the other way, attacker kicks the ball around the defender (this is about ten yards outside the box), defender trips the attacker but the goalie would've easily won the race to the ball any which way. That's not DOGSO, right? Both teams were getting in my ear about that.

e: Just for the record I don't have any posters, but if I did they'd be of Pierluigi Collina, not Webb. ;)

Thel fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 27, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Tell them to gently caress off.

(Politely.)

I feel like this should be in the OP somewhere. :v:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Christ that sounds a load of shite. I'm so glad that my local referee coordinator is a nice guy (so far anyway).

Side note - I received guidance today to convert any freekick within 15 yards of the box to a ceremonial one. (This was at a level 1 course for newbie refs FWIW.) Is that reasonable guidance for new refs? I've been asking attackers if they want to take it quickly and every one has asked me to push the wall back.

On a related note, do you guys *ever* card up for failure to respect the distance? I've already been tempted to in two different respects - defenders lining up three yards away from the ball, and defenders rushing out of the wall early.

e: new page, so have a pic of Collina. If I could deathstare even a tenth as well as he could I'd have an easy life as a ref.

e2: Not saying that I think refs should reign by terror (and I certainly don't), but if the players start acting up they're going to learn who's boss. Actually there's a lot of parallels between refereeing and parenting now that I think about it ...

Thel fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 28, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

EDIT: I actually had a specific call that I wanted to ask you about, which luckily was in a 7 or 8-nil blowout. Team was playng a 4-4-2, and the left forward was very good about watching his position. At one point he breaks free himself with the right forward being 5-7 yards offside (miles, in our world) and jukes the last defender and shoots to the far/right post from just outside the area on the left side. It's just a rolling slow shot to the far post, but the keeper dives at it and comes up about a half yard short of touching/saving it. It's going on no matter what, but the offside striker runs up and taps in it from a yard outside the box...linesman called it offside, and I think about it, and I thought for a second and disallowed the goal. I couldn't think of any reason he wouldn't be offside, and him tapping the ball in was stupid, as it put him in to the play that otherwise wouldn't have involved him. Right call?

From a newbie ref's perspective it's absolutely the correct call to blow it dead, since he started in an offside position and was clearly involved in play (since he touched the ball). I really can't see any way *not* to call that one, actually ...

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

It's amazing how most of them have mastered the old copper's trick of pronouncing "sir" to rhyme with "you worthless little pile of weasel poo poo", as well.

You know, that is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for when I said

See, the angle I'm coming at this from is that over here, we've got a massive shortage pretty much everywhere. If you're a referees' secretary you have to be nice to people. Every April everyone in the county handbook gets a mailshot from about ten different leagues, all of them begging you to take games from them. (What you actually do is go to the society that trained you and ask "what's a good league?" and then join that one.) Then, as long as you're not a total blithering idiot and you show up when you say you will, all the games you can eat and never more than you can stomach. Even the blithering idiot will get games, because the canny referees' secretary will reserve him to send to whichever club's been wasting his time with stupid complaints about the referee last week.

The thing is, if ever the Ambridge & District League appointed a referees' secretary who was an idiot and they tried to pull even one twentieth of the poo poo that y'all's crazy feudin' assignors get up to, the league's lower-division clubs would very soon finding themselves complaining about not getting referees any more, and the league committee would then discover that all their reliable old hands are now taking games for good old Bob on the Mid-Borsetshire League instead; and if they don't do something very drastic very quickly, that's often where a lot of those clubs end up as well. It's such a completely different equation. Kind of like healthcare.

Yup, same thing here (minus the other leagues options). We have like 18 mens divisions in the local league, and there's supposed to be "proper" (non-club) referees for the top 7 divisions (with ARs for the top 2 divisions, and 4ths for the top division - in theory). In practice we're so short of refs (even though we only provide refs for about a third of the games that actually happen) that anyone will get as many games as they want and even then none of the 7th div games have had certified/neutral referees and only about a quarter of the 6th div games have had them. And as far as I can tell you only get one game a weekend, two if you ask for it, and three if things are pear-shaped. (Speaking of pear-shaped currently I'm listed as AR2 on a game this weekend that doesn't have a referee assigned. Wonder how that'll work.)

So even though there's effectively one referee coordinator you can work with (short of road-tripping 3+ hours to go to a different region), the refs hold most of the power via scarcity. Also it's all-volunteer and the pay is minimal (enough to cover gas or a bus fare and not much else), which probably contributes to the shortage but also means if the coordinator gets uppity you quit refereeing and open up a lemonade stand instead. (Probably make more money that way actually.)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

First line (AR2) yesterday. Got a bit of a wake-up call at halftime to look a bit more interested - as luck would have it, in the first half I spent 90% of the time on the halfway line (fairly one-sided game even though the score was 1-0 at the half). Second half was busy, got pinged for missing a probable offside that lead to the final goal (3-0). At the time I was confident he wasn't offside (that said, I was a couple yards off the play and the attacker was on the far side of the defender), but both the ref and the other AR (who were both really nice guys, incidentally) said in the sheds afterward they thought he was. :sweatdrop: Also got told I got thrown in the deep end since new linesmen normally start in womens, so starting in mens prem was a bit of a trial by fire. Can't tell if I'm being pushed to go on or if the ref coordinator is just desperate. So far I've done four games in four different divisions, would be nice to settle on one so I can get used to the standard and speed of play.

Being an AR is actually really difficult, being a center ref feels so much more natural to me. Am I the only one?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

I can't agree more that being the center and AR are basically 2 entirely different gigs, and very little from one plays over to the other. Things that took me 10-20 games to really figure out as an AR (which is probably just what I'm going to do, honestly...better exercise, a bit more fun imho, and if you want to ever change sides you spend the whole game watching all players):

- ARs have the benefit of seeing the whole field of play; if you're looking to center, it's the best place to learn
- Have a mechanism that's almost subconscious for keeping track of last touch...I use the grip on the flag to have the direction of a pending throw in off the current touch already marked, so when you space out (and you will eventually, if not already) and the ball rolls out, you're already pointing yourself in the right direction
- Don't make calls and look unsure, teams and spectators will absolutely rip you apart - the center might too.
- In the event of a scramble anywhere in the middle third, do you absolute best to keep track of the touches, but if you just don't know, look up at the center and pick a side. Any hint of not knowing which way to call just builds tension up for the rest of the game.

- OFFSIDE, not offsides...I personally couldn't give a poo poo and I hear offsides all the time, but sticklers will treat you as an amateur if you say offsides. But, most important:

1. Your job is to always, always be parallel to the second to last defender or the ball. Centers basically just want you calling offside and throw-ins, and that's it. If you take it upon yourself to start calling fouls, often they'll get pissed. The only except is either if they give you instructions pre-game (which happens once you have a rep as a good AR), or if it's a handball facing away from the center. Handballs, be sure to look for arm in unnatural position, and be very, very careful about PK calls.

2. Thunder then Lighting - I don't know if all schools teach this, but when I was a kid they always said lighting is 1 mile away for about every second it takes before thunder. Cheesy analogy, but offside is backward, and to be a good AR it's the primary call you make. Adapt to looking at where the player is when you hear the sound of the pass, and wait until the player is involved in the play. It's very easy to look and all of a sudden see a forward receiving the pass 1-2 yards ahead of the defender. You have to be sure he didn't time his run. What I do is keep the offside line at all times, and when I anticipate a pass to a forward player, I look right down the parallel line and listen for the sound of the pass. If the thunder beats the lighting (the run or player's sprint or timed run), he's offside. Lighting beats thunder? Onside.

Super lame analogies, but it's what makes the best ARs...onside/offside calls, confident throw-in calls, poker face when people yell at you, and until the crowd starts fighting you, go with the center since you don't have much choice in the matter.

Thel - you said that you're in the prem...I can't imagine you mean the prem the prem, but what level are you talking about?

Oh hell naw (I'm in NZ remember). When I say prem I mean prem grade for our local area of ~300k people (and there's central league above that for our region of ~400k people). After that is national league, then international stuff (bearing in mind our player base is a lot smaller so our footballing pyramid is a lot smaller). Also bear in mind what I said earlier about us not providing referees all the way down (juniors don't get referees until they're on, basically, the equivalent of a state team. HS teams get referees for their first XI's only, etc.), so in refereeing terms I'm still a babe in the woods. In terms of the amount of responsibility - well let's just say there were about 20 spectators (and it was an absolute beaut of a day, very little wind, bright sunshine, about 70°F).

And yeah I totally spaced out at least three times during that game, fortunately only one of them was of any consequence (ball out just on the other side of the halfway line), I look at the center, he looks at me, I shrug a fraction and he picked a side. Concentration as an AR is a real bastard.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Daft question - you can only sned someone off for DOGSO when a goal is not scored right?

So if the last defender carelessly trips the striker, you wave play on and the striker buries it, there'd be no sanction for the defender?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Technically, play stops when you *decide* to blow the whistle, even if the ball is in the back of the net before you make a noise.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Finally being assessed this weekend (after I was told I was being assessed on my second game) - solo reffing a game after two weekends of not reffing. This could be ... interesting. At least I know one of the teams is a good bunch of guys, and the other team is from the same club* so I assume they're not going to go out there lusting for blood. Hopefully anyway. :v:

* Somehow this club has three teams in the same division. The hell?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aoIy89mSk8 - not sure if people have seen this before, it's a documentary of Miguel Ángel Pérez Lasa, a La Liga referee. In Spanish, obviously - but the subtitling is pretty good. Includes quite a bit of in-game mike feed as well.

Also - my god I'd go nuts if I had to ref there, what a shitshow. Seems like the players play the ref almost as much as they play the ball.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

He showed me how to run sideways once, and I don't think I've ever done a game since then without having at least one moment where being able to do that proved really useful.

This is probably one of those things that you've gotta see to understand, but is this like side-skipping, or just running one direction while swivelling your shoulders/neck to look another? I can already run backwards at like 70% of normal pace and sideskip about 80%.

Also, whistle time! Had my first assessment on Saturday, and (aside from turning away from goalmouth situations too soon after the goalie saves and missing potential flashpoints), the only sticking point was my whistling being a touch quiet (coming from a floorball background where I only have to cover 40x20m indoor vs covering 100m by 70m outdoor, it's understandable - but something I need to fix because nobody respects a ref with a quiet whistle). She did say my foul whistling was better (I had one meaty tackle about 10 minutes in where I gave my whistle both barrels), just my baseline start-game whistle was pretty quiet.

I'm using a Fox 40 pearl at the moment, thinking about grabbing a sonik blast. Or is the sonik blast overkill and I should just learn to blow a whistle properly? I might grab a sonik blast anyway as my "handbags coming up; time to break some ears" whistle.

Side note: got plaudits for *not* whistling fair upper body contact, there was one point where I was tempted but couldn't figure out which way the call should go so I left it. Attacker running down the sideline forcefully shrugged off the defender (who landed up about ten yards out of play and nearly collected a toddler in a stroller - think like Drogba vs. that Man U defender I can't remember the name of), cuts inside and starts running along the goalline (about 2 yards inside it). Center half hustles back and (with shoulder to shoulder contact; no elbows and without launching himself into the guy) plants the attacker on his arse just inside the penalty area, collects the ball and puts a pin-point pass cross-field about 40 yards. Shouts for a penalty from the attackers, I wave them off figuring "what goes around comes around".

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Mewcenary posted:

My first recommendation is for you to take the Fox 40 Pearl, and burn it.

I do own one, but it is definitely only as an emergency backup in the event of me being involved in a tournament, and there is a clash with a referee on a nearby pitch. I'd also switch to the Pearl should I change careers to be a train conductor.

I used the Sonik Blast for a season. Ultimately, I moved away from it: The tone isn't too good and it is too loud. I'm now using the Classic Eclipse, which is brilliant. All the sound of the Fox 40, but in a modern shape with a built-in mouthguard. It's really easy to hold and use. Recommended.

Don't get it in any colour other than black though please!

Ahaha, went to shop online for a fox 40 and their shipping rate was $102.80. For two whistles (sonik blast + classic eclipse). What the gently caress. And Amazon can't ship these to NZ. Double WTF.

Time to talk to my local sports shop and see if they'll stock anything aside from Lotto whistles.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ran my second line today (men's prem again), got to see my first red card in my time refereeing. In the 10th minute of the game. For violent conduct - throwing the ball after being fouled. (Good throw actually - struck the tackler in the face even though he tried to dodge.)

God, people do the stupidest things.

Was in the clubrooms after (just me and the referee) and the home club guys were having a bit of a bitch about the senior AR's previous performance (he reffed the division below solo immediately prior to the game), apparently there were two soft penalties and some very very dodgy cards besides. Makes me wonder what the teams say about *my* reffing once they get back to the sheds. :v: (Admittedly I haven't given a penalty yet in five games [in retrospect there's one dead cert penalty that I bottled] and only one caution...)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Double-header this weekend, first is between two teams with a reputation for dirty play and then I have an under-17 game on Sunday between this season's front-runner and last season's winner (currently #3). Getting a box ready to send the reports in by parcel post already.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

Double-header this weekend, first is between two teams with a reputation for dirty play and then I have an under-17 game on Sunday between this season's front-runner and last season's winner (currently #3). Getting a box ready to send the reports in by parcel post already.

Turns out the first game was almost perfectly clean, no cards and no major dramas. The U17 game though, holy hell. The parents are worse at U12/U13, but holy jesus are the players at U17 complete pricks. Only two cautions during the game, although I had to yell myself almost hoarse to keep it under control. One was for silly handbags after the whistle, second was for turning around and yelling at me "you're having a poo poo game ref". Dumbass. (In retrospect I probably should've made it red for foul language ...)

Ruined my five-game no-caution streak. :( (I'm not one of these "I don't card because I don't want the paperwork" refs, but I tend to apply common sense to most of my decisions, and I've been lucky that most of my games the players have turned up to play football rather than hack each others' ankles...)

e: Gave my first penalty today too! :D (sliding tackle from behind in the box, he did get the ball but he absolutely cleaned out the attacker beforehand, I should've probably given a yellow for the tackle but by the time I'd figured that out everyone was back on their feet and I lost track of which player it was)

Thel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 2, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Jhet posted:

Congratulations! I'm shooting for the level 6 this year myself. It would be 2400 meters but we're doing the interval test this year instead of the Cooper test. So I'm not entirely sure what timing standards they're going to use, unless they're just going to use the National Referee standards. If they do, I have a feeling we're going to see some strange passes and failures. It'll be the first year we're using it for all grade levels. The interval test being 35s to run 150m, then 40s to walk 50m. It's done 10-14 times, so it'll be a treat. The distance turns out to be about the same, but the time spent running/walking will be interesting.

To do as well as you can on the interval test, you need to train specifically for it. Also, don't go out all guns blazing and do the first 150m in 20 seconds, you should be aiming for 32-33 seconds consistently. You don't get any bonus points for sprinting through the first 8 reps if you crash and burn on the 9th.

Two games on turf this weekend - I actually prefer turf slightly because, even though it's a bit harder on my ankles, I don't have to watch my footing nearly as much (our grass fields could double as minefields in a few places...). Cleaning the rubber bits out of my boots afterward is a pain in the rear end though.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Came --> <-- this close to my first spectator ejection on the weekend. U17 game, pissing rain sideways*, there's the grand total of six adults (including myself) there - two with each team, me, and some dude (we'll call him Joe Bloggs) on the far side from the benches - where I had my bags. Half time, Joe wanders over and gets in my ear about the attitude of the other team (weather like that, you'd figure he had to be a parent, and probably a helicopter parent at that). I politely try and tell him "they're 16-17, being obnoxious is what they do", but he wasn't having a bar of it (besides which, his team are just as bad). Tried tuning him out, didn't work so I eventually started doing wind sprints to keep warm.

Side note: Taking an extra-large rubbish bag is a godsend. Leaving my trackpants outside of said bag is just retarded.

Second half after the other team took a throw-in, he says, mimicking my voice "foul throw, foul throw". The team with the ball stops playing and Joe's team picks up the ball. I blow it dead and walk over, attempting my best "You did loving WHAT NOW?!" look**. He then proceeds to inform me that he's been a club ref for 10 years and that you need both feet flat on the ground completely behind the line for a throw-in to be legal. After a very quick refresher on law 15 (part of both feet on or behind the line, ball delivered from behind and over the head with both hands) and the IFAB/FIFA interpretation of trifling infringements, I tell him any more sideline assistance and he'll be awaiting the end of the game in his car. Fortunately he shuts up, I'm not even sure what paperwork I'd have to fill out for a spectator ejection. I restart with the world's dodgiest 'drop' ball (I threw it about 25 yards to the centre-back of not-Joe's team and hollered "ball's in play, play on"), given the aforementioned douchebag factor of both teams I didn't expect a sporting kick back off an actual drop ball.

Did I over-react? Or should I have ejected him first up? Given I can't figure out if I over-reacted or under-reacted, I'm thinking I handled it more or less right (maybe with a little less education of idiots next time).

* Pissing rain = raining heavily. Raining sideways = wind strong enough to blow rain almost horizontally. Basically, poo poo conditions (turf is the only reason the game went ahead, an actual grass pitch would've been a bog), which probably also added to the short shrift I gave Mr. Bloggs.

** Probably roughly equivalent to being savagely quacked at by a duck. Need to work on that a bit.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Jhet posted:

I'd say you handled that just fine. There's always some idiot parent who thinks they know what they're doing. I'm not sure if "club line" actually means anything where you're from, but that means gently caress all around here. The absolute only thing club lines are allowed to do is tell the referee if the ball is in or out of touch. Bottom line if he's interfering with play you have a responsibility to tell him to shut his trap. Just do it firmly and respectfully. If you can do it without involving a coach, that works. If you need to have the coach tell him to shut up or leave before you restart the game, you can do that too. It sounds like you handled it well, so just think of other ways you can deal with it the next time in case it doesn't work again.

The only thing I'd recommend is not entertaining a spectator in your ear at the half or any other time of the game. They shouldn't be approaching you or your sideline. I would have sent him back to his sideline instead of doing wind sprints, because it might send the wrong signal. Definitely don't engage a rules discussion with a spectator either. Around here they've never seen the LotG, so it's kind of like arguing with a philosopher about physical reactions when you're a chemist.

Here a club referee is someone that's done a basic intro course focusing on refereeing junior matches (typically a parent volunteer) - but that course is more about match management and basic foul recognition (Grade 9 in the states is probably the closest match) rather than the intricacies of a properly-executed throw. :rolleyes:

As far as what happened at the half, I had my bags on the far side of the benches, right next to the fence for the spectators to stand behind. He wandered about five yards down (on his side of the fence) during the half-time break and started chatting - I didn't mind at that point since I was wet and cold and needed something to do. Wasn't much of a discussion at the "foul throw" either, it was basically "three things. Number 1, Law 15 specifies that part of both feet must be on or behind the line, not that both feet must be flat on the ground behind the line. Number 2, referees are encouraged to ignore trifling infringements to keep the game flowing. Number 3, any more sideline refereeing and you'll be heading to your car. OK?". Do agree that most spectators don't know poo poo.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

'nother game, 'nother controversy. (Fortunately I wasn't directly involved)

I'm AR2 (far side) on a game played in slightly atrocious conditions (heavy rain, fresh-from-the-south-pole wind, and general miserableness). Game proceeds more or less normally until late in the second half, where AR1 crashes into a sub (on the line). Reportedly, the sub then said "what are you looking at?" to AR1, at which point he pops the flag, referee comes over and after a short discussion the sub heads to the sheds (didn't see a card, but hosed if I could see much from 80 yards away - see previous comment about rain).

The team involved are going to appeal the red card on the basis that he didn't use foul language. What do you guys think?

My take: You could definitely make a case for insulting or disrespecting a match official (implying the AR is blind), which is enough for me to justify the red. Or if you want to be slightly more involuted - yellow card for leaving the technical area, yellow card for interfering with the game = bye son, see you in two weeks.

PS: Why is it *every* time you card anyone their manager asks if we can "forget" to mail the form in? gently caress, if I actually did that I'd be looking for a new weekend hobby before you can say "code of conduct hearing". Also, maybe teach your emotionally-retarded players not to argue with the ref and maybe he won't have to dish out cards like candy on Halloween.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know what tone it was said with, but I've had dealings with that lad in the past and I'm quite ready to assume he wasn't being polite and respectful. Also, yes subs are allowed out of their area, but when they get in an AR's path and then get in the AR's face, they're walking on thin ice in my book.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

There's a thread for that. It's even at the top of the forum (for now). http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558270

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

So I haven't been refereeing at all for about three weeks (was away overseas), check my assignments for this weekend and oh hey awesome I've moved up a grade. But wait there's more - I'm being assessed too. :ohdear: (Assessments happen 2-3x a season at lower grades and doing well is a sure way to get bumped up...)

So far, advice I've received:
- Check the nets.
- Don't forget a coin (hey who says "which hand is the whistle in?" isn't professional?).
- Be fussy about tape color and undergarment color (gently caress that we're here to play football not to look pretty...).
- Run deep and wide. Box to box and back again. But you don't want to be huffing and puffing because that looks bad.
- Good loud whistle to start the game.
- Pretend the assessor isn't even there.
- Bust out a sprint in the last five minutes just to show you've still got it.
- Smile.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

I'm being assessed too. :ohdear:

FML. Missed an elbow late in the first half (didn't connect, but it was apparently obvious enough for the assessor to see from 40 yards off). Same guy reportedly kicked at an opponent's head late in the second half, too.

Sneaky hobbitses. :mad:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Had my first KFTPM game today - women's cup semi-final. Ended 8-7 after 11 rounds of kicks, including me recording scores under the wrong team and the other AR giving one team an extra goal on her sheet. Eventually got it all straightened out, but drat what a mission. (The players didn't notice, aside from a quick conference after the fifth round "It's 3-3 right?" "Yep" "Thought so, cheers". It was only when we got back to the sheds that I realised I'd put the scores under the wrong team on my sheet.)

Games that go to KFPTM after extra time should be paid double. :mad: It took us three hours to get through the game + kicks, and an additional half an hour in the sheds checking that everyone who kicked should've been on the field at the end of the game.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

How do we feel about this?

Referees are in danger of becoming a lobby group, like Ukip in shorts | Barney Ronay

http://gu.com/p/3jf9k

Anyone got that "Haters gonna hate" gif handy? That's roughly my take on this.

Anyway, back to why I came back to this thread, anyone got advice on off-season fitness? I'm still playing floorball (think like indoor hockey) three times a week, so my sprint/interval training is pretty well covered. Any advice for endurance training for someone who utterly detests jogging/running? I guess I could go to the gym and spend some time on the bike, but that's only slightly less tedious than running.

e: I'm southern hemisphere, so (at amateur levels anyway), our season is March-September roughly.

Thel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 28, 2013

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

This thing on?

Was nice to do a game today where people (at least seemed to) appreciated having a referee. So many footballers are entitled fucksticks it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

why the gently caress do you have all of this official referee stuff in the USA? I played football in Sunday leagues al my life in Holland and Germany, and we always just had a guy reluctantly being the referee, or a dad. You don't get an actual ref until you are way high up the pyramid.

Because if you have a player or supporter of Team A make some dodgy calls while refereeing a game between Team A and Team B, it'd probably land up with lawyers getting involved.

• Locked thread