Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Ted Sox! The Luna Landers would like to invest in an Edward-heavy portfolio for the upcoming quarter. You have three Edwards you currently aren't using from your feeders:

1917 Big Ed Klepfer
1946 Eddie Yost
1948 Eddie Stanky

You look like you could use some help at catcher, which thankfully, is something I can provide.

The Landers offer:
1955 Smoky Burgess

The Ted Sox offer:
1917 Big Ed Klepfer
1946 Eddie Yost
1948 Eddie Stanky

Ryleh Cultists!

While an Edward-heavy portfolio is a good indicator for growth in the coming quarter, it's always necessary to diversify, and my financial advisor has recommended hummingbirds from Arkansas as a good low-risk investment. I am also interested in acquiring a Rajah, as I missed out so narrowly in my recent Super Challenge bid for one. You seem to need help at 3rd base, so:

The Landers offer:
2004 Nomar Garciaparra
1948 Nellie Fox

The Cultists offer:
1930 Rogers Hornsby
1930 Lon Warneke
2003 Mark Grace

Madison Mudholes!

Johnny Hopp is a Super League legend! Sure, he's gone too commercial these days, and that rap album he released was a travesty, but he *needs* to be in the Super League! If you won't find a spot for him, I will! Also, I like Charles Johnson, and you look like you maybe need a shortstop.

The Landers offer:
1970 Jim Fregosi

The Mudholes offer:
1943 Johnny Hopp
1996 Charles Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

:frogsiren: Trade Bait

EXPANSION GMs - WILD DISCOUNTS TO BE HAD: Look, I need relief pitching and have all sorts of crazy crap that isn't even making my 28 man roster. You can exploit the fact I'm Australian and thus know nothing about baseball to offer me dumb stuff. Lou Warnke is a 5 time all star pitcher and isn't even making my starting roster as it stands. I need your relief pitching!

This is an opportunity that is closing for both of us, we can trade stuff freely off our feeder team without consuming our 28 man spots, so I can do 2:1 deals or whatever.

Any GM: I am prepared to sell Tris Speaker. I would want a super star player in any position in return. Bill James reckons he's the 11th best player of all time, so thing something similar.

If Tris Speaker isn't your thing, I have Hall of Fame Centre Fielder Hack Wilson for sale, and more importantly I have Hall of Famer Hack Wilson in the best year he had in a storied career. He posted .356/.454/.723 with an OPS of 1.117(!). Okay he's not babe ruth, but in the same year babe posted 1.225 so we're pretty close.

Yeah look, couple of other people have tried to trade me for Hornsby and Foxx. Just to be clear, Hornsby and Foxx are untouchable unless it's for a similar top 10 all time heavy hitter. Like, say, DiMaggio. We could work out something involving Triss Speaker for DiMaggio.

However, not to shut things down completely, I'm still interested in support at 3B (though Pinky Higgins isn't totally rubbish), so what else have you got? I'm not interested in Nellie Fox, he's too young, my Backups there are in their prime.

I just gave up a ton to get DiMaggio. Just how far are you willing to go for him? Tris Speaker was awesome in his day, but in a Super League situation, he doesn't hit a lot of home runs and he doesn't draw a lot of walks, both of which DiMaggio does. In addition, my park is built for right-handed hitters, and Speaker's a lefty. Still, I'd pull the trigger on a big enough offer.

As for 3rd base, my starter Nomar is tearing the cover off the ball and I don't really want to move him unless I'm not only getting a star in return, but a star at a position of need. Right now, that means 2nd base (Hornsby) or 1st base (Foxx), which you seem disinclined to do. I'm still willing to talk, but I don't know if we can work anything out at this point.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

:siren:Trade Offer!:siren:

Tigres de San Juan receive:
'65 Harmon Killebrew

Antarctic Unspecifieds receive:
'43 Bill Dickey

OR

Tigres de San Juan receive:
'65 Harmon Killebrew
'65 Earl Battey

Antarctic Unspecifieds receive:
'01 Ivan Rodriguez

Listen not to this untrustworthy one! You can do better!

As Smasher has said, you need better defensive infielders and more pitching. Let me provide:

The Luna Landers offer:
1970 Jim Fregosi
1946 Bob Feller
2004 David Ortiz

Fregosi, a former Gold Glove shortstop who had a 2.4 defensive WAR and a 127 OPS+ in 1970.
Feller, at his 348-strikeout, 151 ERA+ peak.
And Ortiz at HIS peak, to replace some of the hitting your giving up.

The Antarctic Unspecifieds offer:
1965 Harmon Killebrew
1918 Rogers Hornsby
1918 Bill Sherdel

Killebrew, a defensive liability with a really good bat, but in an injury plagued down year. I want him mainly to keep him from my division rivals.
Hornsby, who's only 21 and can't really play shortstop defensively despite his loving amazing bat, is the key piece for me -- I've been trying to upgrade 2nd base forever and a day.
And Sherdel, who you aren't using, just to keep my pitching staff from getting shorthanded from giving up Feller.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

I'll agree to Killebrew for Dickey unless Smasher (or one of my players) tells me I'm being a huge idiot.

The Dickey he's offering is 36 years old and about to retire. Your Killebrew was in a down year and struggled with injuries, but he's still in his prime. Catchers are more valuable than corner infielders, but it might not be worth it for an old guy.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Luna Landers offer:
1934 Gabby Hartnett
1970 Jim Fregosi

The Antarctic Unspecifieds offer:
1965 Harmon Killebrew
1965 Earl Battey

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Luna Landers trade:
2004 Johnny Damon

The Ted Sox trade:
1948 Johnny Antonelli
1946 Eddie Yost

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Hello, expansion team owners!

Some of you may be aware of a certain amount of... tension... between the Luna Landers and the San Juan Tigres. I thought I would just explain the situation a bit for you.

The Tigres currently have a deal on the table to acquire the great Jimmie Foxx, one of the best power hitters of all time. As they are in my division, I would like to prevent them from doing so, for obvious reasons. Now, in order to make the trade, they have to give up their starting 3rd baseman, Mike Schmidt. Without Schmidt, they're left with the rather less effective Ritchie Hebner as their 3rd baseman.

So, in order to make the Foxx trade work for them, the Tigres are desperate, desperate to acquire a replacement 3rd baseman from somewhere. And they will turn to you with these offers.

I will tell you right now. You have all the leverage. The Tigres need to deal right the gently caress now because every passing update brings them one step closer to relegation. They can't afford to wait. You, on the other hand, have a whole Expansion Cup ahead of you to tinker with your players and figure out who's good and who isn't, and then the Dispersal Draft to replace some of the "isn't".

The longer you wait, the more desperate the Tigres will get.
The more desperate the Tigres get, the more you can get from them in any deal.

Patience, and you can milk them dry.

Now, as it happens, there is also a personal beef between the Landers and the Tigres. So when, in the fullness of time, the Tigres come to you in desperation, I urge you: give me a chance to top their offer, as I did for Killebrew. You'll get a chance at better players, and I'll get a chance to fulfill my oath. It's win-win for everyone involved who matters.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Question 1

I want my team...

B. To be remembered.

Question 2

The core of a successful Super-League team is...

E. A gimmick that won't get stale by midseason

Question 3

Your team is middling. But, if you take a certain risk, it may become a contender, or may be relegated after the season. If you do nothing, your team will probably survive, but certainly won't win a championship. Do you...

A. Take the risk! Death of glory!

Question 4

Is Marauder evil?

E. 'Good' and 'Evil' are societal constructs, not absolutes. While the Super League on the surface appears chaotic, it can be demonstrated that in fact it represents an emergent society. This society is built around the free-market concept of competition, which is, as described in answer 'A', inherently amoral--neither good nor evil. However, the Super League is more specifically a zero-sum competition: for one team to survive, another must die. In such a social framework, morality can exist. For example: Team A and Team B are battling for survival. Team C, which has no chance of survival, chooses to send its best players to Team A, ensuring their survival. Had Team C killed Team B in the course of ordinary competition, there would be no moral judgement. However, Team C voluntarily disrupted the nature of the competition, choosing who would live and who would die. Morally, Team C is responsible for Team B's death, and has de facto committed murder. The proof that Marauder is guilty of similar de facto murder is left as an exercise for the reader.

Question 5

The thesis of Moneyball is that it is incumbent on ballclubs to forever seek out market inefficiencies in order to give their team the best return on investment. What is the greatest market inefficiency in the Super-League today?

E. The greatest inefficiency in the Super League right now is complementary players.

Question 6

My team sucks. What the gently caress went wrong?

E. I lacked patience.

Question 7

The best player of all time was...

E. Willie Mays. Offense AND defense.

Question 8

My ideal castle is...

E. gently caress it, I'll just build a moonbase or something.

Question 9

The biggest Hall of Fame Snub is...

D. Bobby Grich. Second base is THE hardest position on the field to fill, and Grich was both an outstanding fielder and one of the top 10 all-time in OPS+ for second basemen.

Question 10

The best sci-fi franchise is...

E. gently caress it, I'll just build a moonbase or something.

Question 11

Should Chicago forgive Steve Bartman?

C. You're totally going to kill all of teams that picked 'yes', aren't you?

Question 12

If the Sun is one, and the Moon is two, then what is the Earth?

E. The square root of three.

Question 13

Will the new season of Community suck?

E. Who cares? Arrested Development is coming back!

Question 14

Out of all of the idiotic characters Smasher has created, the one I'd want most on my team is...

E. I can't believe that dude didn't carry Johnny Hopp on his roster.

Question 15

What was the point of this?

E. If you say something egregiously stupid, Smasher can milk a few updates out of it.

Bonus Essay Question

You are John Constitution. The year is 2687 and the world is once again in crisis. The raiders of New Dakota have stolen the Master Infosphere of Third Milwaukee. With the city only five days away from crashing into Lake Huron-Michigan, it is up to you to retrieve the Infosphere.

Making matters worse, one raider captured in the attack has revealed that he and his associates were working for Cardinal Severn, the sovereign lord of NeoCanada. Clearly, by destroying Milwaukee he hopes that the passes of Sault Ste. Marie will be left unguarded and his robo-legions will easily be able invade and occupy the entire region.

To the best of your knowledge, the raiders are currently making their way across the rad plains of Iowa, inhabited solely by commutants, a vicious breed of degenerates who have adopted Marxism in order to cope with the harsh realities of living in such a blasted land.

What do you do? What do you do?

For the purposes of this question, assume that your Hover-Mazda has been fully repaired after the Rockford incident.

Answer:

It's Third Milwaukee. Who loving cares if it crashes into Lake Huron-Michigan? The Lakelings are dicks anyways, always lording it over us Earthwalkers. "What happened to your tail, Constantine?" "What do you mean you can't breathe underwater, Constantine?" "Stop checking out my hot mermaid daughter, Constantine!"

And frankly, neo-socialized medicine would do the region a world of good.

Build a moonbase and ride the 'crisis' out from the safety of orbit.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Luna Landers are looking for a starting catcher, and we're willing to offer starting pitching for a really good one.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers offer:

1965 Earl Battey

Ry'leh Cultists offer:

1970 Thurman Munson

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Outrunner posted:

Mrnoun, I have either Lance Parrish or Terry Steinbach available for a pitcher if Cthulhu doesn't accept the deal you offered.

Cthulhu accepted already, but I'm a big Lance Parrish fan. Also, if you want to do me a solid and swap shortstops, I'd be happy to work something out:

Luna Landers offer:
1984 Cal Ripken (he'd autoheal for you because of the trade)
1946 Bob Feller
1946 Sherm Lollar (so you won't be shorthanded at catcher)

Portland Bulldogs offer:
1984 Alan Trammell (to replace injured Ripken)
1984 Lance Parrish
Whichever of your starting pitchers you were planning to replace, so I won't be shorthanded at pitcher (Derringer or Walters?)
Should we both survive, you send me 1996 Scott Brosius between seasons as a player to be named later, because Feller's better than Parrish.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Why are you doing this? Ripken is only out 19 days, and you already have a bunch of players than can handle shortstop in the interim.

And you just traded for a catcher, which doesn't exactly make this the most sensible time to trade for another one.

And Feller is much, much better than Derringer and Walters.

And Brosius is useless in the Super-LEague.

I guess I'm just confused.

Withdrawing the trade for a moment while I reconsider.

EDIT: All right, Smasher has convinced me that trading Bob Feller is... let me make sure I'm getting this quote right... "loving stupid, what the hell is wrong with you, I should relegate your team just for making that offer."

I'd still like to make a swap for Trammell, who was always one of my favorite players.

mrnoun fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 17, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

If people want Eddie Stanky, I have one sitting on my bench...

I've been looking to acquire some Stanky for quite some time. What year is he, and what do you want for him?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

1948 and what are you willing to offer?

That's a bit old, and his defense started going to poo poo around then, but Bellhorn's not hitting and Fox is a wee little baby, so he still has value to me. Of course, I have no loving clue what you actually want or need for him, so I'll just throw out a random offer so you can decline it:

The Ted Sox trade:

1948 Eddie Stanky

The Luna Landers trade:
The rights to 2004 Bill Mueller and 1955 Wally Post from our feeder teams.

That gives you a backup 3rd baseman in case something happens to Elliott, and another option at corner outfield/trade bait. Because they're still on my feeder teams, Mueller and Post won't be available to send back to you until between seasons, but I can guarantee you the rights to them right now.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am going to decline for now.

Of course you are, you didn't tell me what you needed so I just threw random crap out there.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Outrunner posted:

Daydreamers, I have Eddie Joost that thanks to having Alan Trammell is wasting away on my bench. He'd be much better for you then Roger Peckinpaugh both offensively and defensively. What I would want in return is your first-round dispersal pick.

If a first round pick is the price for Joost, I have a better version, smack in the middle of his prime (1948). 119 walks, 16 home runs, putting up a .350 OBP in the Super League.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

gingemidget posted:

I don't know... I know Mogul's ratings should be taken with a dollop of salt, but the fact that both Joosts are rated lower than Peckinpaugh (whose awfulness is the biggest personality trait my team has) doesn't inspire confidence that one of them would be worth a first-round pick. I'm not saying no yet, just that I need more convincing.

Eddie Joost's peak, from 1947 to 1952: .248/.386/.407, a .793 OPS. He drew nearly as many walks during those six years as Peckinpaugh drew during his entire 17-year career.

Peckinpaugh's peak, from 1916 to 1921: .268/.338/.358, a .696 OPS.

Joost's best year was 1949, when he drew 149 walks and hit 23 home runs for an OPS of .883. Peckinpaugh's best two years combined were 1917 and 1919, when he hit a total of 7 home runs and drew a total of 123 walks.

Quite simply, Joost is a more valuable offensive player in every area than Peckinpaugh.

As for defense, Peckinpaugh was a great defensive player. But the very first words of Joost's bio on wikipedia are "An outstanding defensive player." Defense is a wash.

Given their similar defense and Joost's dramatically better offense, Joost should be considered a definite upgrade over Peckinpaugh, and acquiring him is a no-brainer if you can get him at a reasonable price. Whether he's worth a 1st rounder or not is another issue that I'll leave for you to decide for yourself, but if you need a shortstop, Joost is a quality option.

...actually, you know what? I can't do this. My last 1st round Dispersal pick ended up being Hank Aaron in his prime, and I wasn't even picking all that high. A 1st round Dispersal pick is loving valuable, and you shouldn't spend it carelessly. I'm still willing to trade you my '48 Joost, and he's still definitely an upgrade for you, but I don't want to blatantly rip you off without giving you some kind of warning.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

Well done on the history update, Smasher.

The rest of the last page, well...good God. I'm going to have to Do Something about the Cultist/Superstar/Moogly Axis, aren't I? Other right-thinking owners are invited to join in, of course.

My opinion of the Superstars in particular is, I believe, well known. Let's see what we can do.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

:siren: Trade Deal

1930 Hartnett, 1985 Henke, and 2002 Schilling for 2004 Pedro, 2004 Nomar, and 1977 Reuschel.

Either side has the option at the end of the expansion cup to trade 1930 Hartnett and 2002 Schilling for 1977 Reuschel and 1934 Hartnett.

This deal was the Cultists and the Landers. Accepted by the Landers. To be implemented once Smasher has the free time.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Landers volunteer.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Landers lineup for the challenge:

LF Tim Raines '85
CF Joe DiMaggio '38
1B Lou Gehrig '26
DH Manny Ramirez '04
RF Hank Aaron '65
SS Cal Ripken '84
C Gabby Hartnett '34
3B Eddie Joost '48
2B Nellie Fox '48

Bench:
C Thurman Munson '70
IF Mark Bellhorn '04
IF Eddie Yost '46
OF Dwayne Murphy '80
OF Rickey Henderson '80

Pitching:

SP Pedro Martinez '99
SP Roger Clemens '85
SP Bob Feller '46
SP Rick Reuschel '77 (personal catcher Munson)
SP Mordecai Brown '08

CL Mariano Rivera '99
SU Tom Henke '85
SR Scott Williamson '04
SR Craig Lefferts '84
MR Keith Foulke '04
LR Rick Langford '80

Minors:
Smoky Burgess '55
Johnny Antonelli '48
Bill Mueller '04 (from feeder, replaces Matt Keough)

Strategies:

Hit and Run: -5
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -5
Trying for extra bases: 0
Stealing Bases: +2
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -5
Giving Intentional Walks: -5
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 0
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: 3
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -5
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 0
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 0
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -2

mrnoun fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 19, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Landers lineup for Super League whatever-number-this-is:

LF Tim Raines '85
CF Joe DiMaggio '38
1B Lou Gehrig '26
DH Manny Ramirez '04
RF Hank Aaron '65
SS Cal Ripken '84
C Gabby Hartnett '34
3B Eddie Joost '48
2B Bobby Doerr '39

Bench:
C Thurman Munson '70
IF Mark Bellhorn '04
IF Nellie Fox '48
OF Dwayne Murphy '80
OF Rickey Henderson '80

Pitching:

SP Pedro Martinez '99
SP Roger Clemens '85
SP Bob Feller '46
SP Mordecai Brown '08

CL Mariano Rivera '99
SU Tom Henke '85
SR Scott Williamson '04
SR Craig Lefferts '84
MR Keith Foulke '04
LR Rick Langford '80

Minors:
Smoky Burgess '55
Johnny Antonelli '48
Eddie Yost '46
Sherm Lollar '46
Bronson Arroyo '04 (from feeder, replaces Matt Keough)

Strategies:

We will continue to play in Moonbase 0-2, which was something like:

300-330-430-390-360 left to right, domed, artificial turf.

Trade bait:

We're still looking to move:

Thurman Munson '70
Smoky Burgess '55
Sherm Lollar '46

...before rosters are finalized for the new season. Four catchers is too many.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

gingemidget posted:

What would you want for Burgess?

A could use a third baseman, and I'd also accept a draft pick.

Beyond that, you have a few guys in your feeders I wouldn't mind acquiring:

-'79 Johnny Grubb, because he was a pretty good contact hitter and his name made me laugh when I was a kid
-'79 Dock Ellis, because he threw a no-hitter while high on LSD
-'01 Alan Embree, because I only have one lefty reliever and no injury insurance there
-'01 Paul Konerko, because I could use another bat for my bench
'18 Slim Love, because his name is Slim Love

If you want to package a few of those guys together, I could maybe use them as challenge fodder or something, I guess.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

gingemidget posted:

I'll do it for my first Super Draft pick, and I'll toss in Slim Love too because why the hell not.

The Luna Landers accept:

Landers send:
1955 Smoky Burgess for

Daydreamers send:
1st round draft pick
1918 Slim Love

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

I need starting pitching, don't care about the price, make me offers.

I'd be interested in your Scott Rolen. What would you want for him?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

I'd do it for Three-Finger Brown & Antonelli from your minor leagues just to keep him from a homecoming in Rochester.

Can't do it for two starters unless you throw in an arm from your end, I wouldn't have an injury replacement for emergencies.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

I can throw in Liriano, a spare arm is all I've used him for and he's not awful at it. If you prefer someone else, don't hesitate to ask. This is a deal I want done.

Okay, I think we're making good progress here. Two things:

A) I feel like Three-Finger is the most valuable piece being exchanged in this trade, so I need a good variety of stuff in return. To be fair, you seem quite willing to provide, so it looks like a deal is very possible.

B) One of the guiding principles of the Super League is "You can never have too many Tim Teufels."

Given the above, I feel I can reasonably offer the following trade:

Florida Oranges get:
1908 Mordecai Brown
1948 Johnny Antonelli

Luna Landers get:
1998 Scott Rolen
2006 Fransisco Liriano
1991 Tim Teufel from your '91 Mets feeder
Florida Oranges 2nd round Super Draft pick

I still feel like you're getting a bit the better of the deal, but given Brown's struggles with my defense, I can afford to part with him.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

I like where it's going, but I really don't want to give up a draft pick because I'm almost always in the middle of the pack & I need to start building depth at some point.

What would it cost me to not give up that second-round pick? I'll consider any pitcher I have.

Well, to be honest, I'd rather have a right-handed pitcher than Liriano, but I thought that might be asking too much. Your Coveleski is the baby 1912 version, right?

Landers offer:
1908 Mordecai Brown
1948 Johnny Antonelli

Oranges offer:
1998 Scott Rolen
1912 Stan Coveleski
1991 Tim Teufel

If you'd rather go with a reliever, I'd take Eck instead of Coveleski, and I'd at least have to think about Nathan or Wagner.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

How would you feel about Nathan & Liriano instead of Coveleski? Giving up one of the starters I used to get to the postseason last year is counter-intuitive to improving my rotation.

Alternatively I'd consider 1991 David Cone, but I'd like another pitcher from you to offset losing a former 19-game winner.

Landers offer:
1908 Mordecai Brown
1948 Johnny Antonelli

Oranges offer:
1998 Scott Rolen
2006 Fransisco Liriano
2006 Joe Nathan
1991 Tim Teufel

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers Updated Roster

Updated for our latest moves.

Added:
Slim Love '18
Fransisco Liriano '06
Joe Nathan '06
Scott Rolen '98
Tim Teufel '91

Lost:
Mordecai Brown '08
Johnny Antonelli '48
Smoky Burgess '55

Changes are bolded:

Lineup:
LF Tim Raines '85
CF Joe DiMaggio '38
1B Lou Gehrig '26
DH Manny Ramirez '04
RF Hank Aaron '65
SS Cal Ripken '84
C Gabby Hartnett '34
3B Scott Rolen '98
2B Bobby Doerr '39

Bench:
C Thurman Munson '70
IF Mark Bellhorn '04
OF Dwayne Murphy '80
OF Rickey Henderson '80
IF Eddie Joost '48

Pitching:

SP Pedro Martinez '99
SP Roger Clemens '85
SP Bob Feller '46
SP Bronson Arroyo '04

CL Mariano Rivera '99
SU Tom Henke '85
SR Joe Nathan '06
SR Craig Lefferts '84
MR Keith Foulke '04
LR Rick Langford '80

Minors:
Eddie Yost '46
Sherm Lollar '46
Nellie Fox '48
Tim Teufel '91
Fransisco Liriano '06
Scott Williamson '04
Slim Love '18

Strategies:

We will continue to play in Moonbase 0-2, which was something like:

300-330-430-390-360 left to right, domed, artificial turf.

Unless someone blows me away with a big offer, we're probably standing pat from here. Sorry for the extra work, Smasher!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

factorialite posted:

What will it take to get Slim Love

Yes, of course, this is the big question! If I could only have Slim Love my life would be complete! But Slim Love is just some temporal, visceral high that will disappear with the vagaries of a rotation. When two trade together because of Slim Love, the first thing that happens will be a clash of personalities. Two different teams trading imposes some restriction on individual expression.

So, if you should trade Slim Love for someone, understand that "Slim Love" does not automatically enhance a rotation. Yes, it is a deadball pitcher. Let me also state that I am still starting Slim Love after 42 years. But our rotation has more to do with our assimilation, our alikeness that is based more on our intimacy and mutuality than on Slim Love. Yes, I still buy him flowers, but I hope that expresses my feeling of intimacy and mutuality. Read more on these subjects in Meyer's "Marriages, the 1920 Tigers and Other Disasters."

LOVE should noy have any restricktion OR limition on who you love!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Luna Landers bid:

Our 1st and 2nd round draft picks on *** Nomar Garciaparra '99.

1970 Thurman Munson and 1948 Nellie Fox on *** Greg Maddux '95.

Trying to draw a matchup against my old team.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Since Smasher doesn't have time...

The Unofficial, Poorly Written Substitute Smasher League Preview!

Mark Bellhorn Division

Fun fact: Mark Bellhorn was played by Roger Moore in the TV series!

Catcher
'95 Mike Piazza (Cells)
'38 Bill Dickey (Phoenixes)
'28 Spud Davis (Juggs)
'12 Chief Meyers (Googlies)

Piazza was the best hitting catcher in major league history. Dickey was a Hall of Famer in his prime. Davis was a pretty solid contact hitter, but this version is really young. Meyers isn't much more than filler.

First Base
'30 Jimmie Foxx (Juggs)
'38 Lou Gehrig (Phoenixes)
'11 Miguel Cabrera (Cells)
'01 Jeff Bagwell (Googlies)

I'm giving a slight edge to Foxx because of Gehrig's age. Cabrera and Bagwell are also similar talents, with Cabrera getting the nod because Bagwell's a bit older as well.

Second Base
'11 Eddie Collins (Googlies)
'96 Robbie Alomar (Phoenixes)
'97 Chuck Knoblauch (Juggs)
'10 Jim Delahanty (Cells)

Collins is in the debate for greatest second baseman of all time, and this version is in his prime. Alomar is a little overrated by history, but was a solid hitter and doesn't have the dead-ball defense disadvantage. Chuck Knoblauch still isn't worth Whitey Ford, but he's an adequate Super League player in his pre-Yankee days. Jim was not the good Delahanty brother.

Third Base
'86 Wade Boggs (Cells)
'66 Brooks Robinson (Googlies)
'33 Mel Ott (Juggs)
'38 Red Rolfe (Phoenixes)

Boggs at his peak was an on-base machine. Robinson was the best defensive third baseman of all time, and was at his offensive peak (such as it was) in the mid-60's. Ott didn't technically move to third base until later in his career, and was never much of a fielder there, but he's got a heck of a bat if you have the right ballpark for him. Rolfe was decent, but had a short career, and Mogul takes that into account.

Shortstop
'87 Cal Ripken (Cells)
'90 Barrence Larkin (Phoenixes)
'68 Dick McAuliffe (Googlies)
'89 Robin Yount (Juggs)

Ripken was already starting to suffer the effects of his stupid consecutive games streak by '87, but I don't know if Mogul models that kind of stuff, and at his peak, he was an all-time great shortstop. Larkin was just finding his stride in the early 90's, and hadn't really become a superstar yet. McAuliffe was a much better second baseman than shortstop, but he has a little power. Yount hadn't played a game at shortstop in five years by '89, but he could still hit a little.

Left Field
'39 Ted Williams (Googlies)
'89 Rickey Henderson (Phoenixes)
'03 Ichiro Suzuki (Cells)
'75 Carl Yastrzemski (Juggs)

Ted Williams is Ted Williams. Henderson was not at his best during his Yankee years, but he's still the greatest leadoff man of all time in the middle of his prime. Ichiro was also at his peak in the early '00s, though he lacked Henderson's pure leadoff skills, and didn't have the power to make up for it. Yaz wasn't really an outfielder anymore by '75.

Center Field
'60 Mickey Mantle (Cells)
'30 Hack Wilson (Juggs)
'34 Earl Averill (Googlies)
'78 Chet Lemon (Phoenixes)

Mantle is Mantle, and '60 is smack in the middle of his peak. There's not a huge difference between Wilson and Averill, but Wilson's peak was a bit higher. Lemon is a great role player and the best defender of the group, but he's not heading for the Hall of Fame any time soon.

Right Field
'10 Ty Cobb (Cells)
'98 Tim Salmon (Juggs)
'09 Shin-Soo Choo/'98 Bernie Williams (Googlies)
'06 Brian Giles (Phoenixes)

Ty Cobb is Ty Cobb, even when he's 23 years old. Salmon isn't really on the same level. I'm not sold on Choo as a Super League starter, and he'll be taking the bulk of the ABs in the RF platoon. Giles was well past his prime by '06.

DH
'85 Wade Boggs (Juggs)
'06 Mike Piazza (Phoenixes)
'09 Travis Hafner/'85 Joe Carter (Googlies)
'03 John Olerud (Cells)

Peak Boggs is still an on-base machine. Piazza was on his way out of the league by '06, and couldn't really catch anymore, but he still has a bit of pop as a DH. Joe Carter is overrated due to his postseason heroics, and Hafner's past his very short prime by '09. By '03, Olerud was much more respected for his glove than his bat, but that doesn't really help him at DH.

SP1
'86 Roger Clemens (Cells)
'11 Chief Bender (Googlies)
'03 Randy Johnson (Juggs)
'64 Jim Bunning (Phoenixes)

Young Clemens has a history of success in the Super League, and I see no reason for that to change. Bender is credited with inventing the slider and was a heck of a dead-ball pitcher, though he was just a touch past his best by '11. Randy Johnson was 39 years old by 2003, and it was starting to show. Jim Bunning was a somewhat better version of Jack Morris--a decent enough pitcher, but not really a Super League ace..

SP2
'11 Joe Wood (Juggs)
'38 Lefty Gomez (Phoenixes)
'11 Justin Verlander (Cells)
'09 Cliff Lee (Googlies)

No man alive can throw harder than Joe Wood. Gomez was on his way out by '38, but he has a pretty good Super League pedigree. Verlander needs a big year to shake off the Brony stink before anyone will trust him, but he's a hell of a pitcher in real life. Cliff Lee is decent, but not on the same level as those guys.

SP3
'21 Carl Mays (Phoenixes)
'11 Justin Verlander (Googlies)
'66 Steve Carlton (Juggs)
'86 Tom Seaver (Cells)

I like Mays' borderline deadball skills slightly more than Verlander's modern skills. Carlton is still just a baby in '66, or he'd be up there, too. Seaver was ancient by '86.

SP4
'79 Don Sutton (Phoenixes)
'11 Chief Bender (Googlies)
'01 Tom Glavine (Juggs)
'10 Ed Summers (Cells)

Sutton's long history of Super League success gets him the nod, followed by the efficient dead-baller, Bender. Glavine is on the wrong side of 35, though he was solid for the Juggs last year. Summers isn't really Super League material.

Bullpen
'94 Smoltz/'85 Righetti (Juggs)
'70 Fingers/'06 Hoffman (Phoenixes)
'85 Henke/'03 Benitez (Cells)
'11 Casilla/'09 Wood (Googlies)

I think I like prime Smoltz/Righetti just a touch more than baby Fingers/ancient Hoffman. Henke is great, but lacks a supporting cast. The Googlies need a bullpen.

Prediction:
Phoenixes
Cells
Juggs
Googlies

The Phoenixes need another bat or two, and a proper ace. But they should have enough to see off the challenge of the Juggs, whose horrible defense will offset their pitching strength just a bit too much. The Cells' fatal flaw is the bottom half of the rotation. The Googlies' starting pitching is pretty strong, but they have holes in their offense and their bullpen is going to be a big problem.

The Skyhawks Memorial Division

Fun Fact: The Skyhawks Memorial Division is not, as most believe, named after the Boston Skyhawks. Instead, it is named after the Buick Skyhawk, which was discontinued in 1989. R.I.P., Buick Skyhawk!

Catcher
'49 Yogi Berra (Comancheros)
'72 Ted Simmons (W's)
'93 Ivan Rodriguez (Ted Sox)
'85 Ernie Whitt (Goose Eggs)

A group of youngsters, plus Ernie Whitt. Berra was just about to hit his prime in '49, and he's one of the all-time greats. Simmons could flat-out hit, and in '72, he wasn't yet physically broken. Baby I-Rod was a pretty good defender, but hadn't developed enough power to make up for his lack of discipline on offense. Ernie Whitt probably shouldn't be in the Super League.

First Base
'93 Rafael Palmeiro (Ted Sox)
'00 Mark McGwire (Comancheros)
'22 George Sisler (Goose Eggs)
'99 John Olerud (W's)

A bit of a letdown group. Palmeiro was just hitting his peak in '93 as the steroid era began, but his peak was secretly not all that great, despite the PEDs. McGwire was ancient, but still had some power in '00. Sisler was a fantastic contact hitter, but lacked the power you'd want from first base. Olerud was a fine contact hitter in his own right, and the best defender of the group, but he didn't hit for contact nearly as well as Sisler, or for power nearly as well as Palmeiro/McGwire.

Second Base
'86 Lou Whitaker (W's)
'75 Rod Carew (Comancheros)
'60 Nellie Fox (Goose Eggs)
'93 Julio Franco (Ted Sox)

Sweet Lou was just as good as Robbie Alomar and definitely belongs in the Hall, no matter what Smasher says. He was at his peak in the mid-late 80's. Rod Carew was a great hitter, especially for a middle infielder, but he wasn't a great defender. Fox will get on base a bit, hit okay for contact, and play great defense, but you're not going to get any power at all out of him. Franco's defense was so terrible that he'd moved to DH full-time by '93, and really doesn't have the bat to make up for that defense.

Third Base
'04 Scott Rolen (W's)
'48 Bob Elliott (Ted Sox)
'95 Jim Thome (Comancheros)
'83 Buddy Bell/'85 Rance Mulliniks (Goose Eggs)

Thome is probably a little better at his peak than Rolen and Elliott, but it's a baby Thome and the other two are in their primes. Rolen gets the nod over Elliott at #1 because his prime lasted longer, he's a bit younger, and his defense is much better. Buddy Bell is a perfectly acceptable Super Leaguer, and I'm sure Rance Mulliniks tries hard, but they're never going to match the production of the first three.

Shortstop
'18 Rogers Hornsby (Comancheros)
'08 Troy Tulowitzki (Goose Eggs)
'09 Asdrubal Cabrera (W's)
'17 Ray Chapman (Ted Sox)

Hornsby is one of the greatest hitters of all time, even at 22 years old, and even with his atrocious shortstop defense. Tulowitzki's splits suggest that while Colorado has affected his numbers somewhat, he can still hit away from home, and he's still a plus defender. Cabrera gets the nod over Chapman because of Chapman's deadball defense.

Left Field
'95 Manny Ramirez (Comancheros)
'29 Al Simmons (W's)
'08 Matt Holliday/'22 Ken Williams (Goose Eggs)
'04 Johnny Damon (Ted Sox)

Ramirez and Simmons were both extraordinary hitters, but Manny A) was a little better, and B) could play RF in a pinch. Holliday and Williams were both very good hitters for relatively short peaks. Damon's peak lasted longer, but he lacks true corner outfield power.

Center Field
'51 Willie Mays (Ted Sox)
'49 Joe DiMaggio (Comancheros)
'61 Duke Snider (W's)
'35 Indian Bob Johnson (Goose Eggs)

I prefer young Willie Mays over aging Joe DiMaggio, for defense if nothing else. Duke Snider has a definite Super League pedigree, but I'd rather gamble on Mays/DiMaggio than take Duke. Indian Bob isn't really a center fielder.

Right Field
'26 Babe Ruth (W's)
'17 Tris Speaker (Ted Sox)
'98 Sammy Sosa (Comancheros)
'58 Al Kaline (Goose Eggs)

You can't really go wrong with any of these guys. Ruth is Ruth. Speaker gets the nod over Sosa and Kaline because of his defense, speed and on-base abilities. You could make a case for Kaline over Sosa for his contact hitting and defense as well, but Sosa just hit so many home runs during that stretch that it's hard to argue.

DH
'95 Albert Belle (Comancheros)
'93 Juan Gonzalez (Ted Sox)
'86 Kirk Gibson (W's)
'85 George Bell/'08 Matt Holliday (Goose Eggs)

Belle was one of the most dangerous hitters of the 90's. Gonzalez was not too far behind, though his lack of patience hurt. Gibson is adequate Super League filler. George Bell had a couple good years, then faded fast.

SP1
'94 Greg Maddux (Comancheros)
'58 Jim Bunning (Goose Eggs)
'93 Jack McDowell (W's)
'48 Warren Spahn (Ted Sox)

The 90's Braves have always been a bit disappointing in the Super League. Jim Bunning is still solid but not a Super League ace. McDowell serves a purpose, but that purpose is more "comedy" than "pitching". Spahn will likely run into the same trouble as other soft-throwing lefties.

SP2
'61 Sandy Koufax (W's)
'75 Bert Blyleven (Comancheros)
'62 Juan Marichal (Goose Eggs)
'17 Stan Coveleski (Ted Sox)

Koufax was an all-time great, and he's just hitting his peak in '61. Blyleven's Super League success is well-documented. Marichal was just a touch young in '62. Coveleski is good, but he's very much dependent on a questionable Ted Sox defense.

SP3
'13 Pete Alexander (W's)
'22 Urban Shocker (Goose Eggs)
'93 Kevin Brown (Ted Sox)
'66 Luis Tiant (Comancheros)

We all know what Alexander is capable of. Shocker and Brown are both guys who pitch to contact, but Shocker has the better defense behind him. Tiant was still a couple years away from really being good in '66.

SP4
'02 Cy Young (W's)
'72 Bob Gibson (Comancheros)
'46 Early Wynn (Ted Sox)
'11 Doug Fister (Goose Eggs)

Young and Gibson were both getting old, but I think Young has a touch more left in his tank. Wynn needed a couple years after the war to get his groove back, but I think the odds of him finding his feet quickly are better than the odds of Fister getting a good roll.

Bullpen
'92 Henke/'81 Reardon (Comancheros)
'83 Henke/'11 Valverde (Goose Eggs)
'93 Nen/'93 Henke (Ted Sox)
'99 Nen/'61 Williams (W's)

That's a lot of Nen and Henke. Reardon is a perennial disappointment, but none of these combos are lights-out, and '92 Henke still had some gas left in the tank. I like Baby Henke, but I can't shake the feeling Valverde will be a problem. Baby Nen might not be ready yet, and by '93, Henke was starting to slip. And '61 Stan Williams scares me.

Prediction
W's
Comancheros
Goose Eggs
Ted Sox

It's going to be a long year for the Ted Sox, despite some interesting pieces. I think the Goose Eggs could make some noise with a couple more bats and one more good arm. The Comancheros should be right there in contention, but the W's have a better rotation and Babe Ruth, and that will be the difference.

The Senor Goodtimes Division

Fun Fact: The third result in a wikipedia search for "Senor Goodtimes" is Angaraag Mahanta!

Catcher
'53 Yogi Berra (Potatoes)
'34 Gabby Hartnett (Landers)
'43 Walker Cooper (Mudholes)
'40 Rudy York (Bobbles)

Berra is one of the best ever, in his prime. Hartnett is a step behind Berra, and a little older. Cooper was a good, solid catcher who should be adequate in the Super League. York was a great hitter, but wasn't really a catcher defensively.

First Base
'26 Lou Gehrig (Landers)
'62 Willie McCovey (Potatoes)
'11 Prince Fielder (Mudholes)
'91 Mark Grace (Bobbles)

Gehrig was just hitting his stride in '26, though the Landers' ballpark will hurt him. McCovey was a touch too young in '62, but should still put up numbers. Fielder can hit, but not field. Grace is the best fielder of the bunch, but lacks the others' power.

Second Base
'40 Charlie Gehringer (Bobbles)
'39 Bobby Doerr (Landers)
'49 Red Schoendienst (Mudholes)
'53 Billy Martin (Potatoes)

The Mechanical Man was 37 in 1940, but he could still hit, and his glove was never his greatest strength. Doerr was still a baby in '39, but he had a fine glove and some pop in his bat. Schoendienst is adequate Super League filler. Martin doesn't belong in the league.

Third Base
'06 Alex Rodriguez (Bobbles)
'98 Scott Rolen (Landers)
'53 Gil McDougald (Potatoes)
'43 Whitey Kurowski (Mudholes)

Rolen has power, patience, and defense, but A-Rod has all of that and then some. McDougald is more valuable for his versatility than strictly as a third baseman. Kurowski did all his best work during the war years, which hurts him.

Shortstop
'84 Cal Ripken (Landers)
'91 Cal Ripken (Potatoes)
'06 Derek Jeter (Bobbles)
'96 Edgar Renteria (Mudholes)

Young Ripken is better than old. Jeter can hit, but his glove puts him a step behind. Renteria is a baby, and even at his peak, wasn't on the same level as Ripken or Jeter.

Left Field
'11 Ryan Braun (Mudholes)
'85 Tim Raines (Landers)
'40 Hank Greenberg (Bobbles)
'68 Willie Horton (Potatoes)

Braun has been in the running for best hitter in the league the last few years. Raines is one of the greatest pure leadoff men in history. Greenberg could hit, but wasn't really an outfielder. Horton had a couple great years and a lot of adequate ones, and that doesn't cut it in the Super League.

Center Field
'38 Joe DiMaggio (Landers)
'53 Mickey Mantle (Potatoes)
'03 Andruw Jones (Bobbles)
'12 Andrew McCutchen (Mudholes)

Young DiMaggio gets a slight edge on young Mantle, for defense if nothing else. Andruw Jones had power and defense, but he's not really in the same category. McCutchen is having a great year, but it's only one year, and Mogul measures full careers.

Right Field
'43 Stan Musial (Mudholes)
'65 Hank Aaron (Landers)
'06 Vlad Guerrero (Potatoes)
'06 Gary Sheffield (Bobbles)

Musial is always an incredible hitter. Aaron is in his prime, and Sheffield and Vlad are not. Vlad still had a bit left in his bat in '06, while Sheffield was essentially done.

DH
'?? Josh Gibson (Potatoes)
'15 Babe Ruth (Bobbles)
'04 Manny Ramirez (Landers)
'96 Gary Sheffield (Mudholes)

It says a lot about a position when Manny Ramirez and Gary Sheffield are the third and fourth best hitters. I'm giving the nod to Gibson over Ruth because Ruth is young and Gibson's in his prime.

SP1
'99 Pedro Martinez (Landers)
'93 Curt Schilling (Bobbles)
'06 Ervin Santana (Potatoes)
'43 Howie Pollet (Mudholes)

Pedro is in the "greatest ever" conversation. Schilling was solid and reliable for many years. Santana was kind of a one-hit wonder. Pollet feasted on the replacement players during the war years.

SP2
'85 Roger Clemens (Landers)
'96 Kevin Brown (Mudholes)
'06 Justin Verlander (Bobbles)
'06 Jered Weaver (Potatoes)

Young Clemens has a pretty good history in the Super League. Brown was at his absolute peak in '96, and the Mudholes should have the infield to back him up. Verlander is a baby, but wasn't terrible last year in the Super League. Rookie Jered Weaver might find the Senor Goodtimes a rough place to debut.

SP3
'46 Bob Feller (Landers)
'94 Tom Glavine (Bobbles)
'53 Ed Lopat (Potatoes)
'96 Al Leiter (Mudholes)

Feller had a slow start, but finished pretty strong last year. Glavine struggled mightily all year. Lopat was in his mid-30s by '53, and was never that great to begin with. Al Leiter is a better color commentator than a pitcher.

SP4
'91 Greg Maddux (Bobbles)
'95 Roger Clemens (Mudholes)
'53 Whitey Ford (Potatoes)
'77 Rick Reuschel (Landers)

Greg Maddux had a great year last year. '95 Clemens is a mystery: you might get PED Clemens, or you might get Fat Clemens. The chance of PED Clemens offsets the risk, in my opinion. Whitey Ford wasn't quite Whitey Ford yet in '53, but he was still pretty good. Rick Reuschel isn't quite on the same level, but is still solid, especially with a good infield behind him.

Bullpen
'99 Rivera/'85 Henke (Landers)
'79 Gossage/'06 Rivera (Bobbles)
'96 Nen/'11 Axford (Mudholes)
'06 Rodriguez/'06 Shields (Potatoes)

I slightly prefer younger Rivera to 36-year-old Rivera. Peak Nen put up his great numbers during the steroid era, which puts him just ahead of K-Rod's post-roid performance. I don't trust Axford or Shields, though.

Prediction
Landers
Bobbles
Mudholes
Potatoes

There's too much hitting in this division for the Potatoes' iffy pitching to get by. The Mudholes are not far from competitive, but no team that would leave Johnny Hopp off their roster deserves better than third place. The Bobbles are the defending champs, but they actually lost the division title to the Landers last season. So the question becomes: did the Landers add enough over the offseason to win a playoff series?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
...and now that the main event is out of the way, here's the undercard!

The Norris-Smythe Division Preview

Fun Fact: Super League owners who don't include their players' years in their roster posts, or don't make roster posts at all, make baby Jesus and people who write league previews cry.

Catcher
'27 Mickey Cochrane (Emperors)
'98 Ivan Rodriguez (Superstars)
'01 Ivan Rodriguez/'30 Gabby Hartnett (Cultists)
'11 Buster Posey (Mathematicians)

Cochrane was simply a better hitter than Rodriguez. I prefer the slightly younger version of I-Rod. And Buster Posey is adequate Super League filler, but should probably be replaced.

First Base
'09 Albert Pujols (Superstars)
'59 Stan Musial/'35 Jimmie Foxx (Cultists)
'27 Jimmie Foxx (Emperors)
'82 Jack Clark/'04 Miguel Cabrera (Mathematicians)

Peak Pujols is a bit more reliable than ancient Musial. Foxx was just a kid in '27, but should still hit really well, and you could probably make a case for him ahead of Musial as well. Clark was a fine, fine player, but isn't really comparable to a Foxx or a Pujols.

Second Base
'75 Joe Morgan (Mathematicians)
'19 Eddie Collins (Superstars)
'30 Rogers Hornsby/'84 Ryne Sandberg (Cultists)
'27 Eddie Collins (Emperors)

Morgan and Collins basically headline the "Best Second Baseman Ever" debate. I prefer this version of Morgan by the slightest of margins, almost entirely because of Collins' deadball glove. Hornsby trails behind because of his age. Ancient Collins is still good, but probably can't play a full season.

Third Base
'64 Ron Santo (Cultists)
'69 Ron Santo (Emperors)
'40 Bob Elliott/'11 Pablo Sandoval (Mathematicians)
'09 Troy Glaus (Superstars)

I prefer the younger Santo. Elliott is just a kid in '40, though he'd end up being a pretty good third baseman. Glaus was pretty much done by '09.

Shortstop
'58 Ernie Banks (Cultists)
'40 Arky Vaughan (Mathematicians)
'40 Pee Wee Reese (Emperors)
'34 Odell Hale (Superstars)

Banks' power trumps Vaughan's contact and defense. Reese is just a baby in '40. Hale played exactly once at shortstop in his entire career, committing an error on his only fielding chance, for a 0.000 fielding percentage.

Left Field
'03 Vlad Guerrero (Superstars)
'27 Al Simmons (Emperors)
'64 Billy Williams/'30 "Stephenson Riggs" (Cultists)
'11 Zack Wheat (Mathematicians)

Guerrero in his prime had an outstanding mix of power and contact at the plate, though defensively, his cannon of an arm is probably wasted in left. Simmons is an incredible contact hitter himself, though he lacks Guerrero's power. Billy Williams was a really good hitter in real life, but has had his struggles in the Super League. Baseball Reference knows not who this "Stephenson Riggs" character is. Zack Wheat is a 23-year-old kid, and was nothing special even in his prime by Super League standards.

Center Field
'11 Tris Speaker (Cultists)
'54 Larry Doby (Superstars)
'11 Carlos Beltran (Mathematicians)
'89 Eric Davis (Emperors)

Speaker hits for contact and gap power, and plays defense, though his defense is somewhat offset by his deadball status. Doby's at his peak and was pretty solid all around, but there's a reason people remember Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier and not Doby. Beltran has a pretty similar skill set to Doby, but is a touch older. Davis had a ton of talent, but never really put it together in real life, and his Super League career has been similar.

Right Field
'66 Frank Robinson (Superstars)
'97 Larry Walker/'30 Kiki Cuyler (Cultists)
'83 Dave Winfield (Emperors)
'36 Chuck Klein (Mathematicians)

Robinson is one of the greatest hitters of all time, and did it during a very pitcher-friendly era. Walker and Cuyler were great, but did it during hitter-friendly eras. Winfield was pretty solid and probably won't kill a team. Klein was getting old by '36.

DH
'30 Jimmie Foxx (Superstars)
'35 Jimmie Foxx/'30 Rogers Hornsby (Cultists)
'27 Ty Cobb (Emperors)
'85 Jack Clark/'99 Fred McGriff (Mathematicians)

I slightly prefer younger Foxx to the prime Foxx/old Hornsby platoon. Cobb was ancient by '27, but hit the crap out of the ball last year for the Emperors. Clark and McGriff were both solid, but not on the same level.

SP1
'27 Lefty Grove (Emperors)
'22 Walter Johnson (Cultists)
'28 Pete Alexander (Superstars)
'11 Tim Lincecum (Mathematicians)

Grove perennially underperforms in the Super League, but he's one of the greatest pitchers of all time in his prime and really should be a lot better than he has been. Johnson is a touch on the old side. Alexander is more than a touch on the old side. Lincecum is young and needs to prove he belongs in the Super League.

SP2
'?? Martin Dihigo (Emperors)
'78 Steve Carlton (Cultists)
'06 Roy Halladay (Superstars)
'11 Madison Bumgarner (Mathematicians)

All of the Negro Leaguers in the SL are the real deal. Carlton still had a few years left in the tank by '78. Halladay is more consistent than dominant. Bumgarner is just a kid.

SP3
'01 Christy Mathewson (Cultists)
'09 Adam Wainwright (Superstars)
'09 Josh Johnson (Emperors)
'11 Matt Cain (Mathematicians)

Baby Mathewson is still Mathewson. Wainwright has a history of success in the Super League, though that was long ago. Josh Johnson had a surprisingly competent run with the Emperors last season, credit where it's due. Matt Cain should be maybe okay? I dunno.

SP4
'19 WIlbur Cooper (Mathematicians)
'04 Pedro Martinez (Cultists)
'42 Thornton Lee (Emperors)
'98 David Cone (Superstars)

Cooper was a quality deadballer, and he's in his prime. Post-shoulder Martinez will have his moments, but he's just too fragile. THE Thornton Lee will probably do his thing again and make me look stupid for ranking him so low. And sadly, Mogul does not give bonuses to sex offenders. Sorry, David!

Bullpen
'00 Gagne/'87 Bedrosian (Emperors)
'09 Soria/'89 Reardon (Cultists)
'11 Romo/'68 Dobson (Mathematicians)
'09 Ryan/'09 Perez (Superstars)

Gagne/Bedrosian by default in a division of terrible bullpens. As a Red Sox fan, I can comfortably say, if I'm ranking '89 Jeff Reardon that highly, it means the rest of you hosed up your bullpens. I don't trust '68 Dobson, who was just a kid and whose peak wasn't that great to begin with. But I trust B.J. Ryan even less.

Predictiion
Cologne
Ryleh
Rated R
Oxbridge

The Mathematicians simply don't have the pitching. The Superstars can hit, but the left side of their infield, their ancient ace, and especially their bullpen scare me. In the end, I think the Emperors steal the division because of their bullpen and their depth.

Dies Irae Division Preview

Fun Fact: "Dies Irae" is Latin for "The Die is Cast." No, wait, that's not right. Well, either way, it probably means Smasher has a gambling addiction to go with his anger management issues and drinking problem.

Catcher
'73 Johnny Bench (Dervishes)
'86 Gary Carter (Generics)
'55 Smoky Burgess (Daydreamers)
'78 Brian Downing (Gumshoes)

Bench is the greatest major league catcher of all time. Carter was also very, very good, though he's on the wrong side of 30. Smoky Burgess was solid, but not really in the same category. Downing can hit, but he's not much of a catcher defensively.

First Base
'?? Buck Leonard (Dervishes)
'87 Eddie Murray (Gumshoes)
'01 Frank Thomas (Daydreamers)
'24 GOOSE! Goslin (Generics)

Negro Leaguers tend to be consistently good in the Super League. Murray is better known for his consistency than his brilliance, but he's better defensively and closer to his peak than Thomas. Frank is past his peak and can't really play defense anymore, but he can still hit. GOOSE! lacks real first base power.

Second Base
'73 Joe Morgan (Dervishes)
'78 Bobby Grich (Gumshoes)
'06 Robinson Cano (Generics)
'01 Ray Durham (Daydreamers)

Morgan is in the debate for greatest 2B of all time, and he's in his prime. Grich is one of the most underrated 2B of all time, a fantastic defender with power and patience. Cano was just 23 in '06, and hadn't really figured out things like "walks" and "defense" yet, but he could hit. Durham is adequate Super League filler.

Third Base
'55 Eddie Yost (Dervishes)
'04 Nomar Garciaparra (Generics)
'18 Home Run Baker (Daydreamers)
'89 Mike Schmidt (Gumshoes)

The Walking Man will get on base a ton, but not much else. Nomar has some power, but is past his peak and isn't much of a defender at third. Baker was never the same player after leaving Philly. Schmidt is about a million years old, is in his last season, and hit .206 with 6 home runs that season.

Shortstop
'95 Barry Larkin (Gumshoes)
'42 Luke Appling (Generics)
'85 Robin Yount (Daydreamers)
'78 Ozzie Smith (Dervishes)

Larkin is in his MVP year, and can provide both offense and defense. Appling plays defense and hits for contact, but don't expect any power. Yount wasn't really a shortstop anymore by '85, but should still do some decent hitting. Smith will play defense, but young Ozzie was a terrible hitter.

Left Field
'99 Barry Bonds (Generics)
'85 Rickey Henderson (Gumshoes)
'19 Joe Jackson (Dervishes)
'06 Adam Dunn/'93 David Justice (Daydreamers)

Bonds always wins. '85 Rickey is the greatest leadoff man of all time. Joe Jackson will hit everything but home runs. We should all know what to expect from Dunn at this point. The 90's Braves' hitters have been consistently disappointing in the Super League.

Center Field
'54 Willie Mays (Gumshoes)
'31 Earl Averill (Dervishes)
'89 Kirby Puckett (Daydreamers)
'98 Steve Finley (Generics)

Mays is in the "Best Center Fielder Ever" debate, and probably wins it. Averill will hit, but not quite as well as Mays, and he's not a great defender. Puckett's Baseball Reference Similarity Scores include Mike Greenwell, which penalizes him significantly. Steve Finley sucked.

Right Field
'44 Stan Musial (Dervishes)
'87 Dwight Evans (Gumshoes)
'04 Sammy Sosa/'98 Tony Gwynn (Generics)
'01 Magglio Ordonez (Daydreamers)

Musial wouldn't hit his peak until after the war, when the quality of the baseballs improved and home runs became more common again, but he's still Stan Musial. Evans was 35 in '87 and his defense was starting to slip, but it was still his best offensive season, and he had a couple more good ones before he was done. Sosa and Gwynn are both just about done. Young Ordonez looked like a future Super League star when he was young, but aside from some brief flashes, it never quite happened for him.

Sp1
'78 Nolan Ryan (Gumshoes)
'24 Walter Johnson (Generics)
'66 Bob Gibson (Dervishes)
'93 Greg Maddux (Daydreamers)

We all know what Ryan is capable of in the Super League. Johnson was 36 in '24, but not quite done. One of these years, Gibson will live up to his potential in the Super League. Maddux carries the Curse of the 90's Braves with him -- they kill Super League teams, period.

Sp2
'78 Frank Tanana (Gumshoes)
'98 Kevin Brown (Generics)
'93 John Smoltz (Daydreamers)
'78 Gaylord Perry (Dervishes)

Pre-injury Tanana always tears up the Super League, too. Kevin Brown's peak was higher than Smoltz's peak, and Smoltz in '93 wasn't at his peak yet. Perry was 39 in '78.

Sp3
'77 Rick Reuschel (Gumshoes)
'93 Tom Glavine (Daydreamers)
'19 Burleigh Grimes (Dervishes)
'65 Phil Niekro (Generics)

Reuschel has a history of Super League success. Glavine's peak was a little higher than Grimes', though Grimes has the deadball thing going for him. Niekro is a young knuckleballer, and not to be trusted.

Sp4
'04 Roy Oswalt (Dervishes)
'23 Dolf Luque (Generics)
'79 John Matlack (Daydreamers)
'95 Jose Rijo (Gumshoes)

Oswalt had a pretty good run in the early '00s. Luque was good enough for the Macho Men, and is for all intents and purposes a dead baller. John Matlack was, sadly, not played by Andy Griffith in the TV series. Rijo was pretty much wiped out by injury by '95.

Bullpen
'98 Hoffman/'04 Wood (Generics)
'54 Wilhelm/'89 Bedrosian (Gumshoes)
'57 Wilhelm/'73 Hall (Dervishes)
'93 Stanton/'01 Foulke (Daydreamers)

Hoffman/Wood are solidly the favorites on paper. Younger Wilhelm is more trustworthy than older Wilhelm, and Bedrosian wasn't quite washed up by '89. Stanton's not really a closer.

Prediction
Gumshoes
Daydreamers
Dervishes
Generics

This should be a closely contested division. The Generics get last place because they haven't posted a roster since June, forcing me to dig several dozen pages deep into the old thread to get their lineups and the years for their players, then dig back forward several dozen pages to find all their draft picks, challenges, and other transactions, so gently caress them. The Dervishes are a conundrum. They're built around offense, but then they start Ozzie Smith at short. The Daydreamers don't have the bats, and the 90's Braves really have been disappointing in the Super League in general. That leaves the Gumshoes, who have a few great starting pitchers and a lineup with only a couple real holes in it. Replace Mike Schmidt, though, dude.

Sic Transit Vir Division Preview

Fun Fact: Nothing about the Sic Transit Vir Division is fun!

Catcher
'51 Yogi Berra (Unspecs)
'58 Yogi Berra/'64 Earl Battey (Bangers)
'10 Brian McCann (Unicorns)
'11 Mike Napoli (Superbas)

I love the Berra/Battey platoon, but '58 Berra was getting just a bit old. Napoli had the one huge year, but McCann is younger, more consistent, and better defensively.

First Base
'49 Ted Williams (Bangers)
'90 Mark McGwire (Unicorns)
'11 Miguel Cabrera (Unspecs)
'71 Don Mincher (Superbas)

Fairly easy here. Williams is the greatest hitter of all time. McGwire hits a ton of home runs, and is still young enough to be adequate in the field. Cabrera also hits, but he's never going to reach the peaks of Williams or McGwire. Mincher is filler.

Second Base
'07 Nap Lajoie (Bangers)
'18 Rogers Hornsby (Unspecs)
'24 Frankie Frisch (Unicorns)
'11 Ian Kinsler (Superbas)

Prime Lajoie edges baby Hornsby, though I think Hornsby has the potential for a better peak if he rolls lucky. Frisch is kind of a jerk, but he's a pretty good contact hitter with a good glove. Kinsler has some power for a second baseman.

Third Base
'11 Adrian Beltre (Superbas)
'90 Edgar Martinez (Bangers)
'73 Darrell Evans (Unicorns)
'11 Home Run Baker (Unspecs)

Martinez can hit, but Beltre can hit and field. Evans is another of those underrated 70's power-patience-defense guys. Home Run will hit fewer home runs than any of the other guys.

Shortstop
'01 Alex Rodriguez (Superbas)
'03 Honus Wagner (Unicorns)
'82 Robin Yount (Unspecs)
'46 Lou Boudreau (Bangers)

A-Rod vs. Wagner is a tough call, but Wagner is hurt by his deadball glove. Yount gets third over Boudreau because he'll hit the occasional home run.

Left Field
'91 Barry Bonds (Bangers)
'10 Sam Crawford (Unspecs)
'11 Josh Hamilton (Superbas)
'03 Fred Clarke (Unicorns)

Bonds always wins. I'm putting Crawford ahead of Hamilton because Crawford's success was over a longer period than Hamilton's, and Mogul takes that into account. Clarke isn't all that far behind, but is getting older by '03.

Center Field
'50 Duke Snider/'90 Eric Davis (Bangers)
'04 Carlos Beltran (Superbas)
'29 Paul Waner (Unspecs)
'06 Ken Griffey Jr. (Unicorns)

The Silver Fox has a history of success in the Super League. Beltran should be solid. Waner lacks power and isn't a great defender, but should hit for contact enough to make up for it. Griffey is 36 and it shows.

Right Field
'71 Reggie Jackson (Superbas)
'65 Tony Oliva (Unspecs)
'10 Lance Berkman/'50 Carl Furillo (Bangers)
'24 Ross Youngs (Unicorns)

Young Reggie could hit, run and field: it wasn't until free agency that he stopped doing the last two. Oliva still has his best years ahead of him, while Berkman's best are behind him. Ross Youngs is happy to be here.

SP1
'07 Addie Joss (Bangers)
'03 Deacon Phillippe (Unicorns)
'58 Whitey Ford (Unspecs)
'71 Vida Blue (Superbas)

Great deadballer beats good deadballer. Ford is also good, but lacks the deadball edge. Blue only really had the one big year.

Sp2
'24 Dazzy Vance (Bangers)
'03 Sam Leever (Unicorns)
'65 Jim Kaat (Unspecs)
'11 CJ Wilson (Superbas)

Vance was a sabremetric hero in an era before sabremetrics, and was never quite appreciated in his time as a result. Leever is a competent deadballer. Kaat is a competent non-deadballer. Wilson hasn't really been good for long enough for Mogul to rate him.

SP3
'?? Joe Williams (Bangers)
'71 Catfish Hunter (Superbas)
'09 Cliff Lee (Unspecs)
'24 Art Nehf (Unicorns)

When in doubt, Negro Leagues. Hunter was at his best in the early 70's, though his peak wasn't particularly high. Cliff Lee is... crap, what did I say about him last time? I'm feeling lazy. Ah, "Cliff Lee is decent, but not on the same level as those guys." Nehf's peak wasn't particularly high, and his best years were behind him by '24.

SP4
'71 Don Sutton (Bangers)
'08 Cy Falkenberg (Unicorns)
'70 Tommy John (Superbas)
'11 Doug Fister (Unspecs)

Sutton has a history of success in the Super League. Falkenberg has been pretty good, too, but not to the same degree. John might actually catch a break with the Superbas infield behind him. Fister's career has been short enough that he'll need a lucky roll.

Bullpen
'75 Fingers/'08 Wood (Bangers)
'71 Fingers/'11 Feliz (Superbas)
'07 Saito/'07 Broxton (Unicorns)
'03 Valverde/'97 Aguilera (Unspecs)

I like prime Fingers a little more than young Fingers. And I like everyone better than old Aguilera.

Prediction
Bangers
Unicorns
Unspecs
Superbas

Plus ca change... The Superbas look a bit like the Oyster Cult Blues, only without Randy Johnson or Mickey Mantle. The Unspecs are short on power and short on pitching. And the Unicorns don't have the outfield to catch the Bangers.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

CVE posted:

Approved

I'll glady become the press guy for the Beares given that I'm not helping elsewhere.

On the other side of things...

Another injury? Dammit it all. Also from mrnoun preview listing Reese as my Shortstop and Collins without the Alomar platoon aren't the changes in effect e.g. Ramirez back as a starter from his injury (unless he's worse than Reese) and the platoon of Collins/Alomar at 2B?

Slot in Anibal Sanchez for Calero.

Also I hearby challenge for '02 Chad Bradford offering Calero and my 2nd round pick.

Your last roster post was on July 2nd, so I had to piece together what your lineup might possibly look like based on the last update of last season. It involved a significant amount of guesswork and about 20-25 minutes of digging through the old thread to figure out where the hell you got that Eric Davis from and what year he was.

Don't take anything I do for the thread seriously, I'm just some schmoe trying to contribute. I am 100% unofficial and I don't have access to Smasher's roster files or anything.

Current response to my preview: 25% thanks, 75% complaints. This is why Smasher hates you all!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers

So all the Landers' challenges blend together, huh? Then let's make this interesting.

The Landers bid '39 Bobby Doerr and '06 Fransisco Liriano on ***** '16 Walter Johnson.

New lineup:

LF Raines
2B Garciaparra
1B Gehrig
CF DiMaggio
DH Ramirez
RF Aaron
C Hartnett (Munson when Feller pitches)
SS Ripken
3B Rolen

Doerr to the bench, Bellhorn to the minors to make room for Nomar.

New Pitching:

SP Pedro
SP Clemens
SP Feller (Munson personal catcher)
SP Maddux
SP Reuschel

Bullpen unchanged. Arroyo to AAA.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Upon information received from Smasher in the chat, the Landers are looking to make a trade:

One of
1926 Lou Gehrig
1984 Cal Ripken
or 1999 Nomar Garciaparra

...for a second baseman of comparable talent.

Also, Smasher is kindly letting me back out of the Johnson challenge until I get an actual second baseman, as I'd assumed either Ripken or Nomar could play second, but the engine disagrees.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

The Goog posted:

A second baseman, you say? Well, let's do this:

Great Googly-Mooglies get: 1984 Cal Ripken Jr., your second-round Super Draft pick

Luna Landers get: 1911 Eddie Collins, my last ratings challenge

The Landers accept.

Landers lineup:

LF Raines
SS Garciaparra
1B Gehrig
CF DiMaggio
DH Ramirez
RF Aaron
C Hartnett
3B Rolen
2B Collins

The Landers reinstate their challenge: Doerr and Liriano for ***** '16 Walter Johnson. We took the Skyhawks to six games last year, let's see if we've made any progress.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Luna Landers
Gabby Hartnett (C) (Condemned by Priests of Syrinx) - 15 days

Oh, right, I should probably do something about this, huh?

Hartnett to the DL, Munson in as the starter, call up Lollar to be the backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers

First, some housecleaning.

Gabby Hartnett back in at catcher now that he should be healthy. Munson personal catcher for, let's say, Clemens. Lollar returns to the minors.

As for the draft, we have two picks: our own first rounder and the Daydreamers' first rounder, from the Burgess deal. We do not have a second rounder, having moved it in the Eddie Collins deal.

We don't really have any major holes in our lineup, so our preference is Best Player Available.

If someone wants to flip me a second rounder, I'll use it on '84 Lefferts again, for comedy purposes.