Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

How much do you know about wine right now, and what sorts of things do you want to learn?

If you're starting from 0, I would recommend "Wine for Dummies."

Ughh. Yeah, from pretty fuckin close to zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

You could consider taking a class, too. It's obviously a little bit more expensive, but it's not a complete ripoff like "bartending school." I took the WSET Level 1 course with a friend who was in a very similar situation to you, and it was definitely helpful -- you learn about various wine styles, the factors that make a wine "good" vs. "bad," how to pair wine with food, and that sort of thing -- and it's all backed up with tasting, which I think is the big difference from just learning from a book, especially because some of the wines selected for the tasting portion are pricey things you might not pick out on your own.

Unlike normal wine-tastings put on by distributors and liquor stores, the focus is actually on learning about the wines, as opposed to trying to convince you that you like a wine so that you'll buy it.

Yeah, I can definitely see a class in my future. Ideally, I'd like to get myself important enough to operations that I can get the boss to pay for part of it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

So after getting let go from my last bar because the new Director of Operations decided to give his friend my job and spending months on the hunt, I have taken the first job offered to me. Don't do this. I'm now working graveyard shift Mon-Thurs in a place so out in the sticks I can't even get my own friends to visit me. I'm essentially a janitor making minimum wage. I think all in all I'm making less then I did on unemployment. Well at least the hours enable me to go on any future interview that may come my way (please someone call me back I send out so many resumes to Craigslist ads). I'm pretty sure this is the lowest point of my entire career and I've worked telephone tech support.

Yeah, the job I was excited about up the page bait-and-switched me so say hello to the new lunch shift bartender! Lol. I already told them that I would have passed on the job if they'd told me what it was and that I was going to be interviewing to move on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had one employer in NYC who every other week would go on a rant about how bartenders are all known to steal. This place was ostensibly a night club and was in one of the parts of the city relatively light in residential space yet they insisted on being open at 4pm most days where one bartender and one server would stand there doing literally nothing for five or six hours until the first customer came in. They paid zero for salary no matter how slow the shift was, it was tips only. They would also sometimes force you to go to Atlantic City to work in another bar they owned there because "we can't find any good bartenders in AC." They didn't pay for transport there or back and had a lovely apartment with two real mattresses in it and four air mattresses and if you took one of the real mattresses you'd be awakened by a Curtis furious red eyed drunken Hispanic chef telling you you were in his bed.

Yes, your criminal nontrustwothy staff.

There are about 15% of people who will steal no matter what, there are about 40% who won't steal ever, and the rest...if management and ownership are doing their jobs, won't take a dime.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jakabite posted:

How much of a problem do you guys have with people getting on the furniture? As in up on tables, chairs, benches, basically anything to make them a special snowflake that everyone can see. I work in a city centre bar that does r'n'b nights at the weekends and is far too packed, and it just seems to attract these people like moths to flame. They always seem so indignant and shocked when I tell them to get down too, as if being able to climb on the furniture is a reasonable expectation in a bar.

It's a safety hazard and a legal liability for the bar. Get down, no exceptions.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Sounds like you guys could use the best drat cooler in the business.

Wade Garrett is the best :colbert:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I am a woman.

I manage multiple bar programs for a very large restaurant in SF. We openly calculate prices based on the cost of labor, not "food cost" any more. The price of the actual ingredients is the least important factor in the equation now.

Is CA a tip credit state? Or do bars and restaurants have to pay min wage?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who asks questions? Customers? Friends? Random people on your commute, if you walk/take public transport?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered by the questions about a CR bag, but if you're walking there or something, you could get one of those small drawstring backpacks just to make it a little easier. If it's just the CR logo - dye it black maybe?

Bring back the fanny pack!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

10 Beers posted:

As someone who has never worked in the bar industry, is bartenders having to supply all of their own equipment a pretty common thing? It just seems weird to me.

It's not particularly common. Bottle opener and wine key are about as far as it normally goes. The only time I pack my own gear with muddler and strainer and spoon and all is when I'm working a catered do of some kind.

Because of where OMP works, they might not have a lot of storage or great places to stash bar tools where you can be sure they're still going to be there when you come back for the next shift because I think they totally or partially break down the bar after the last service of the day. Under those circumstances, I'd probably bring my kit just in case so I didn't have to share if something went missing.

Btw: OldManPants, I'm starting at the Hilton around the corner from you this week!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Nice! Drinks at corner office soon?

For sure. See what my schedule looks like after training.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

poop dood posted:

You guys keep saying "wine key" and "bottle opener" like both jobs aren't done by the one kind of wine key that everyone has and it's honestly freaking me out.

Um. Well. So, if you are using the little hook thingy on a wine key to open more than one bottle at a time...there are more productive methods. Like a speed key/flat which is what your should be using. Certainly don't follow in my footsteps and rip the tops off with a titanium Lord of the Rings wedding band because I am a savage and should be kept in a cage.

But seriously, get a speed opener. Your beer/liquor reps give them away for free.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Why did I not get into hotel bartending earlier? God such easy money. I'm finally home!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are four shoes in bartending

-oval office manager
-oval office customers
-No money
-Position is impossible to get

Haha, I like it. If you find a spot that has only one, you're probably set.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Perdido posted:

gently caress managing. That is all.

I wonder if the new overtime rules that just passed are going to make managing in the business better? I might not have quit if I hadn't been making the equivalent of 9 bucks an hour over 65 hours per week.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Perdido posted:

Two girls I know walked out with $4k 2 weekends ago at a club downtown. There was some big carnival sideshow thing from Vegas that was doing a stop and it was gangbusters there. This isn't getting into our crazy territory, which starts this Friday. I know folks who have walked with $10k, but that's from poo poo like having Prince Harry or professional athletes coming in and partying.

Some of the corporate oil and gas parties also got a little Sodom and Gammorah-y, with lots of money flying around. Not since the recession hit, though.

It's also really few and far between.

Didn't someone in this thread (James Woods, maybe) have a story about doing a bidding war amongst stockbrokers over trays of vodka sodas and walking with some insane amount? I remember it because I've always since wanted an opportunity to try it!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

These guys at my bar top right now are giving me insight into the mind of a suicide bomber.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

Can confirm as a doctor with an interest in drinking that 12 oz beer, 5oz wine (at 12% estimated ABV instead of 10%), and 1.5oz spirits is considered the "standard drink" referenced both in the office and in the medical literature across the US. 14 grams (approx) 0.6 oz is the standard.

That, of course, makes it hard to calculate standard drinks when my patients say they have 4-5 32oz beers daily.

Oh. I just lie. Is that ok?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BattleMoose posted:

Yeah its probably not the best idea I have ever had. But the idea of being able to work around where people are having fun and somewhat physical work, is just so super appealing.

Also, what happens to old bartenders?

We get transferred to Professor Willow :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

If it helps, the very high failure rate is helped along by some of the most staggering examples of incompetence you can possibly imagine.

Yeah. Add all the other reasons that a small business can fail and add on all the dumbfuckery that goes along with alcohol and owners putting "being cool" "having fun" "anything at all" above "making money."

If you're willing to give up the 70-100 hours a week that a small business requires, LOVE the business, and can keep an ice-cold motherfucking eye on the bottom line, you MIGHT make it, as long as you NEVER party there.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hahaha. Yeah. Never ever drink in your own bar *eyeroll*

Not to be a pedant, but I specifically said don't "party" there. I'm not the enemy of fun, but I expect there is probably a good correlation between number of drinks consumed on premise and failure rate.

In other words, I'm talking out of my rear end anecdotally, but I stand by not getting high on your own supply.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

mooyashi posted:

Also overserving is a low level felony :eyepop:

And I had to go up to patrons and ask them not to dance because we didn't have a Cabaret License

I had to do the overserving dance with the Denver Vice Squad for about a year. My boss paid for my lawyer and I beat it handily once we got in front of a jury but it was no fun.

Real talk. If you get pulled for over-serving, after they read you your rights, they will try to get you to justify why you served the dude. STFU! I shut my mouth and they had nothing to go on other than the videotaped interview.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

The Maestro posted:

"You don't have patron/coors light/fireball/Chopin? What kind of place is this?"

I love when people get so affronted that we only have Coors Light and not their particular flavor of hillbilly pisswater that they LEAVE to find a bar that has it!

I actually DO love this, as it gets them away from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Congrats dude! I've been looking into some hotel gigs myself, it seems like they are excellent long term careers instead of a place that's constantly changing management/concepts

HMU, there's gonna be a big one opening downtown in September/October by the same management company as where I work now, and apparently they are going for "4 Seasons level" clientele. I'm thinking about switching over when it opens.

• Locked thread