Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Just throwing this out there, just in case I'm not the only one that noticed this-
Mab's deal was such: Harry completes three tasks for her, and he's free. Right? He completes two. Mab asks him to be the Winter Knight many times. He eventually says yes.

Doesn't that count? She asks him to be the Knight, he complies, BAM, task #3 complete. Given that the terms of the deal included being "free of Sidhe affairs," doesn't he technically have a get-out-free card as soon as he remembers that detail? I wouldn't put it past Mab (in her craziness) to completely ignore the deal until it's brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

reflir posted:

The Faerie way to interpret that is that the task is not "agreeing to be the winter knight" but "being the winter knight." To fulfill the final task and be free of Sidhe affairs he needs to finish "being the winter knight." Given what we've seen of Harry's problem solving skills, I imagine that will come about through the death of Mab* and the ascent to power of a new winter queen.

*note how I specifically phrased that not to imply that Harry kills Mab under his own power. She's too powerful and chaotic for that.

It would be- but the way the final Knighthood negotiation was worded, "you want me to become the winter knight," and Mab's acceptance of that wording, seems to open the loophole I mentioned. Hell, the fact that she tells him to kill Slate would technically make that a task. When dealing with the Sidhe, it's all about literal interpretations.

On an alternate note, I can't find the bit that might negate the whole deal.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Iacen posted:

Am I the only one who think that having Nemesis being behind EVERYTHING is kinda easy? It could just be I enjoy the thought of several, conflicting bad guys, instead of a single group of baddies.

EVERYTHING is a Nemesis plot.

I really, really hope he's not throwing away the series for the sake of that joke. Not that I think he is.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 3, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

That's all interesting stuff. I was referring to the way we know almost nothing about Harry's dad. Also that his mother was human and mortal, and I'm almost certain that Harry's specialness as a "starborn" has to do with more than just the time and place of his birth.

Unless Michael swore an oath never to mention it. Which he would keep, no matter the circumstances or how much you tortured him.

That's not entirely true. If keeping that secret put his family (especially his children) in danger, he'd speak up.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think Harry may have been wrong about human names changing that much -- or at least right for the power level he was working at then, but bad wrong for the level he's getting into. Remember Ferrovax at the party? It seems like higher-order beings need a much less exact grasp on your Name to use it against you.

Not to mention that Dresden is incredibly stubborn. He's very, very attached to who he is, and because of that I doubt his Name will see much change, regardless of the general malleability of human Names.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

My pet theory is that the Merlin fired off a massive entropy curse at the Red Court, and suspected Harry would be the instrument that let it take effect.

This is both something I'd never thought of and right up the Merlin's alley. He doesn't leave things to chance if he can help it, and Harry's kind of a wrecking ball. I don't think he'd be very happy if that 1. is actually how it went down and 2. he found out about it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, hell, under that argument, did the Merlin kill Susan by magic? Was she human when he did?

Technically no, because when she died she wasn't human.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

I thought Harry knew it was an entropy curse well before turning up?

We're discussing a second Entropy curse meant to, essentially, re-target the first one.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

If the Merlin could have done this why wait until Changes to do it?

Well, if the enemy makes a really big bomb, and they have it in their HQ, it'd be almost criminal not to take advantage of that.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Aimed at who?

The entire Red Court. Or, I suppose, at the Red King.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

I need to re-read the books because I thought that already happened and it was clearly the work of the Red King? So I don't get all this talk about Merlin being behind it etc.

The entropy curse we're talking about is hypothetical. The thing you're thinking of is the heartsploding lineage-killing ritual.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Am I getting a bloodline curse mixed up with an entropy curse then?

Entropy curses make the target die... somehow. The exact nature of the death is not under the control of the one who casts the curse. Bloodline curses are just curses that are tied to/target a bloodline.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Masonity posted:

Firstly, he just removes said favour. Remember that clause?

Secondly, whatever bargains he made, Mab never withdrew her offer of all debts cleared by the mantle so he doesn't owe her poo poo outside of his duties as winter knight.

She'd just freeze his eyeballs "out of spite" again.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Harry seems to be the only one doing it though, at least a wizard of his power.

Doesn't basically everyone tell him that it's a really stupid thing to do because of Reasons, though? I thought it was more Harry being stubborn about his nicknaming habit than anything.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

It's the white council. Keep in mind they revoked whatever "professional wizard" status Harry had earned for the excuse to kill him before

They tried to, anyway.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Clearly you know the backstory better than Jim Butcher. Give him a call, and tell him to correct what he is saying at signing events.

I'm not seeing where Butcher said, "It's not Mother Winter's walking stick." That story doesn't preclude this. It even introduces the possibility of "Mórrígan" being another name for Mother Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

-Fish- posted:

So what happens if (parasite speculation) Lash gets herself a human body... And takes up one of the Swords? We've got a new Knight showing up in this book after all.

That's crazy enough that I want to see it happen.

• Locked thread