Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHHErfX9hI

The bit at 4:25

Oh it's stuck oh wel- WTF

I absolutely did not think he was going to make it over the suspended bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I get that the person who dies with the most stuff wins, but 1500 gallon fuel capacity? Where are people going in a gigantic center console yacht? You don't have any protection from the elements!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There's living quarters underneath.

My wife's boss (owner of a multi million dollar commercial roofing business) has the same type of boat (giant center console) and he hires captains to take it to the Bahamas, Belize, etc and he flies out to meet them and go fishing. The living quarters are basically for the captains to crash while the owners stay at the resort where the boat is docked.

OK, that makes more sense. I had to dig through the gallery to find pictures of the cabin.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hard braking would bend them in that direction.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Imagine a sex ed course by Doug. That would be comedy gold.

"THIS is a human penis! We'll go over all the quirks and features, and then take it for a test drive!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Even walking around downtown Reykjavik, you see some interesting vehicles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Go in the summer, the temperatures are pretty nice. It's just damp most of the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

-20°C is colder than the record low recorded in Reykjavik. The average low in the darkest parts of winter is only around -2.5. Winters are not that different, temperature-wise, from New York City

Summer high on average is usually around 14°C, or mid-50s F.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 23, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Did you mean supercharger? Turbos work on effectively waste energy from the motor, supercharger are parasitic engine power to turn them.

Compressing that volume of air requires power, regardless of whether that power is coming from exhaust gasses or an accessory belt. Electric turbochargers should probably be called electric superchargers, but they would need a lot of power to compress air at sufficient quantities to be meaningful for an internal combustion engine.

Edit: apparently they are called electric superchargers. I've only heard of them as electric turbochargers. Weird.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 28, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

And if there was ever any doubt that it’s a ripper...

https://youtu.be/jtXoZ6_YNTs

I love the intake noise. That's gorgeous.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

snugglz posted:

and I can hear all the previous, un-taped-to-finger nuts rattling around in some unreachable pocket of the chassis

Just keep jamming more nuts in there until one of them sits right where it's supposed to go.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I love the active front aero.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The bed of a Honda Acty is maybe a hair over 6'6". God's Own Motorcycle, the KLR 650, has a 4'9" wheelbase. Add 9" for half the front wheel and that leaves you with a whole extra foot behind the rear tire's contact patch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Carteret posted:

You are smarter than I am: Wheelbase ?= Length. My MT-07 should fit.

...this is not ideal for my bank account.

The wheelbase is the distance from contact patch to contact patch. What we want to do is add 1/2 the front wheel diameter top the wheelbase to see if it'll fit in the truck's bed. You've got a 17" front wheel and a 55.1" wheelbase, so with a little bit of fudge factor that's 67" from the front of the front wheel to the rear contact patch. That'll fit in a 78" Acty bed with 11" to spare.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

I have since covered my pickup needs with a 6x10 dump trailer and 540 HP twin turbo german suv to pull it. I'm sure you've got something to say about whether I need that or not also.

How many kei trucks can you fit in your trailer?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

:holymoley:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This image irks me. Sure, if you scale all of these to be the same size and make them all the same color and blank out the wheels and ignore any drivetrain or performance differences, all manufacturers offer a large crossover / small SUV type vehicle because it fills a lot of people's needs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I recently bought a pair of New Balances and they're really comfortable on my hosed up feet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I have worries about the longevity of wooden gears

Don't say that to Mathias Wandel

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 6, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

No. This disturbs balance on an otherwise symmetrical vehicle.
I use all three drat mirrors. Very useful if you adjust them properly - that is, the side mirrors pick up where the inside rear-view leaves off (unless your inside mirror is blocked by cargo, etc.)

This, but I saw an article about it probably right after the SAE paper came out:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

I love that article and my wife thinks I'm deeply weird about it.

The SAE paper is deeply technical but I found this figure informative:

Driving with the mirrors positioned as in Figure 12 calls
for a different lane change strategy. With this setting, the
driver first looks in the inside mirror to check the position
and approach speed of vehicles to the rear. Then, the driver
glances at the outside mirror to see if a car is in what used to
be the blind zone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Pur Sang which despite the kind of Asian sounding name, are based in Argentina

It's the Romance language roots for "Pure Blood"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

About 4 times as much power in the bed, as it has in the engine compartment.

I don't understand??!? How could you move a motorcycle without a supercab and a 3/4 ton load capacity???

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This owns

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Apparently Mazda Japan made convertible RX-8 demo cars and they are amazing.

I love convertibles with carrying handles!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

1952 Alfa Romeo 1900 C52 Disco Volante Spider

Press Button B to deploy the belt tires!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 25, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

1953 Lincoln Capri Golden Sahara Conversion

dat azz

We need more tan wall tires.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Incredible save down at Goodwood from Karun Chandhok, and the Ferrari's owner having the best vibes: 'Karun is fine, which was our first concern, let's be clear. We race knowing they break.'

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2023/9/what-really-happened-to-karun-chandhoks-ferrari-250-gto/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmWOEluoOpU

I can't help but think he got out and was surprised to find the car a lot less on fire than he initially thought. Great save!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unEfaPWHB5c&t=341s

(if the time mark doesn't work start this at 5:40)

I wish I loved anything as much as this dude loves small motors.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Volvo's adaptive cruise is great and I use it all the time. I rented a Toyota something at one point and their adaptive cruise was awful and way too twitchy.

Volvo's is great. Subaru's is pretty good once you make it stop beeping at you every time it acquires a new target. Mitsubishi and Hyundai, I can't complain about. I agree, Toyota's is the worst I've ever driven.

In conclusion, adaptive cruise control is a land of contrasts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kill me now posted:

No, that's a bit of a reach. I would prefer to not double my very normal 30 minute suburban commute because my dumb little tin can can of a car can only go 28mph.

Maybe this lifestyle is unsustainable and should be viewed with the same incredulity as somebody who commutes 100+ miles / day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

I don't think individuals are in a position to meaningfully solve systemic issues like affordable housing vs. job locations and lack of public transit between the two.

You're absolutely right, but it's so tiring watching individuals cross their arms and smugly shoot down any potential progress because they can't imagine changing their lifestyle in the least.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Leave it to Mazda to figure out how to fit apex seals in an EV.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

For real, though, it’s a single rotor ICE range extender.

So you're saying it should be called the REx-9?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KING O FROD

edit:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Saukkis posted:

What is everyone's definition of a good public transportation? What is the usual distance to transit stop and how many changes are required during a trip?

I usually consider the transportation in Helsinki quite good, but using your own car is still so much better. A little while ago I decided to go out after work to visit couple stores and a restaurant and I had made the decision before look out how much it was raining. Subway and tram travel worked well enough, but I still had to walk about 3 kilometers in the rain and since the first store was at the coast the wind broke my umbrella. That was much worse experience compared to 100-200 meters of walking in rain my car would have required, depending on how close to the restaurant I had found parking stop, since both stores had indoor parking.

I lived in Helsinki for 15 years without owning a car and then I inherited an old car. Nowadays I have hard time imagining how good public transportation would have to be for me to sell my car.

It's tricky to define. I guess my definition is that most everyday trips are easier via public transit than via car. When we lived in Chicago, we sold our car after a month when we realized most of what we did, we did by bus and train. Eventually I broke my leg and bought a Jeep when I acquired hobbies that took 1 hr + to get to via public transit vs 15 minutes' drive. Even then, I commuted to work by bus because it was cheaper and less hassle.

Same thing happened when we moved to New York. It was cheaper and less hassle to sell the car and get everywhere by bus/train/bike/ferry, or rent a car for the odd trip somewhere else.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

The real London transit hack is the bus network. Cheaper than the tube, and often more direct.
The only downside is it's the bus, and busses loving suck.

In NYC I never took the subway if I could help it. Hot, crowded, and impossibly loud. The buses were slower, but a lot more comfortable (and also closer to my home)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We're all just old, and the one benefit of age is being able to brag about the myriad ways our bodies have let us down but haven't killed us yet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Holy hell at the cost of gasoline alone driving that turd 1m miles

Gas was, on average, $1.11/gallon when it was new.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Circa Thanksgiving, 2023

I'm not convinced this isn't a new Grand Theft Auto screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CaptainTofu posted:

If you defend a guy who is:

Pro Brexit, a far right anti immigrant action which has caused massive damage in the UK socially and economically

COVID denialist

And a defender of Kyle Rittenhouse, a man who travelled to a protest with a machine gun intending to murder black people for fun, and then proceeded to do so

I'm going to assume you fully support these things too. Nice work facsist, follow your leader

Buddy we already know one of Nick-or-Richard-I-can't-tell-them-apart has Bad Opinions. They don't come out on the youtube videos. This isn't the thread for making specious comparisons between British auto mechanics and famous midcentury fascists. This also isn't the thread to tell other forum users to kill themselves.

Edit: here it is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006636&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 24, 2023