Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Living in Primrose Hill you see more than a few of these:

I know they're stupid but they're kinda cute in a ridiculous way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I went and had a look at thrust 2 and ssc earlier in the week. They are mental.

Apologies for the awful pics they keep them really cramped and badly lit.

Coventry Transport Museum?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

88h88 posted:

That's where they live, yeah. I haven't been there in a few years which is a bit poo poo considering I pass it virtually every day. I love the gatherings of cars they get together outside in the summer, just wandering into town on a Saturday afternoon and seeing a whole load of Americana is pretty awesome. There was a gaggle of Corvettes at one point from Stingray up to virtually brand spanking new. Oh and this random ratrod...

I should really keep an eye on the events schedule and see what's gonna turn up.

I went there last year mostly to see the Prometheus truck - I was working at Pinewood during filming but never got to have a chance to check them out - and to see their sad-looking DMC. It's pretty neat; I remember Gayden being fairly dull and completely devoid of any exotica - seeing the last MG Metro off the production line or whatever only has so much allure. Never been to Beaulieu or the Haynes one.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Related:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

KozmoNaut posted:

What is it with Brits and bad puns, especially when it comes to car names? It's getting ridiculous on a couple of the British-based car forums I read.

For instance, Cistern or Shitroen instead of Citroën, Pickarsehole instead of Picasso, Mondingo istead of Mondeo, Vulva instead of Volvo, and the list goes on and on.

I think that particular brand of dim wit is localised to car forums (this one excepted for the most part)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

You Am I posted:

Dunno, I always found the 308/328 to be a bit tacky

They've aged so well. A friend had one in black for a while and when you start really looking at, the shape is amazing. (but they are cheap bags of bolts)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

InitialDave posted:

They were amazingly cheap, but they appear to have gone up by 50% since last year. Where you could see the occasional £30k car, now it seems like mid-forties is the buy-in, with decent ones being more like £50-60k.

When I was at the NEC show with you there was a Testarossa going for £40k which was surprising because I remember flicking through classic car mags when I was a kid and seeing them all for £100k +. I wonder if this is a lull point before kids who grew up with them on their wall are coming into the money now to buy them so they'll shoot up again.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 24, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'm in Poland for the week. First night out and in the town square I seemed to have walked into a classic American barge meet:

They all peeled out, spinning their wheels on the cobblestones. Ace. Highlight of the day is this, though:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Living in London rules if you like classics. Went for a 2 mile drive and spotted both of these today. An XK150 the other day, a daily commute slantnose 911 every day last week. Don't even bat an eye at a MP4-12C any more, they're everywhere.

E: it's ridiculous. On my road:

(not a kit)

at the local IKEA:

Cruising around on a Monday afternoon in Acton of all places:

Often parked outside the local Sainsburys:

Round the corner from me (along with an Ariel Atom that lives under a tarp):

and then just generally great stuff like this:

And these aren't even the nice parts of town.

edit 2: Acton Veyron

echoplex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Insanely Sikh posted:

Oh mos def, I just found it utterly bizarre seeing a GMC Typhoon of all cars. Complete minter too

Wasn't to diminish your post, agree with you entirely! Out of interest, where did you see that? Generally speaking you don't tend to see stuff big American like that in London, more often than not it's other cities/towns further north (broadly speaking).

Powershift posted:

That's a pretty sweet variety of cars. Shame you didn't have anything other than a polaroid with you. How long did it take you to shake them all?

Less time than it took you to craft that witticism