Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

If I didn't lurk in AI all the time, I never would've learned about one of the coolest car projects ever:

The Kirkham Motor Sports Aluminum Shelby Cobra.

Thanks for posting this, it's absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

bisticles posted:

Took another sip of the potion hit the three-wheel motion

Unrelated to cars: My son has a "3 wheel motion" shirt that has a big wheel on it. Is "3 wheel motion" anything other than lowrider scene / ice cube lyrics? I thought it was a sweet shirt that mom's wouldn't get

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

There had better be a black Toyota pickup behind that other door.

Unf. So freaking sexy

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I went to a wedding at a auto museum in Hershey, PA over the weekend. What an awesome place to have a wedding/reception. Instead of sitting at your table staring at the other people you may or may not know for 2 hours we got to walk around and look at cool cars! There were only two that I really took pictures of:

GNX - 600 original miles, still has the factory plastic on the seats.

Porsche 959 - Never thought I'd ever see one of these, I was laughing like an idiot. Must be new, they didn't have any placard or anything about it. I really really really wanted to look in every nook and cranny but it wasn't meant to be.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

travisray2004 posted:

Some low paid data entry clerk that couldn't care less about cars much less know anything about them is my guess.

Yea I would guess this. The museum isn't enormous by any means so I imagine it doesn't have a large number of fulltime staff, and those that do work there doing those types of jobs probably see it as "just a job" vs. trying to do these cars their full justic.

Fucknag posted:

:( A car that batshit insane deserves to be driven every day. I wonder if the motor even still runs.

I see this both ways, I do think cars deserve to be driven. But on the other hand this one completely mint can hopefully stay that way so future generations can see how bad rear end it really was.

If I was into collecting (and had the pockets to do so), I'd have to have two. One to rub with cotton diapers and the other to drive around.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Backov posted:

One of the very first Test Drive (maybe NFS, can't remember) games you had a choice between the 959 and F40, if I recall correctly.

The F40 would (just barely) beat the 959 pretty consistently.

I remember playing the 959 on Test Drive II: The Duel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km1DrCah-zQ

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

They say it gets 57mpg at a steady highway speed. That's quite impressive, at least to me.

... of course, I'm sure it gets much lower numbers if you drive it with some spirit, but smiles per gallon is certainly far higher.

Pretty sure that's the imperial gallon mpg, so it's about 47mpg US. But yea, that's still very impressive.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

blk posted:

I can't imagine the torquesteer

You have to have traction to torque steer. Problem solved!

I feel really really bad for the CVs and the shift linkage on that car.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jeremy Clarkson is still going to get in and tap his fingers all over, open and shut everything, and say something about how it feels cheap and Americans can't make interiors. Something something panel gap.

Pushes on the rear bumper, harsh ride, too wide, pushrods lol, not british blah blah wahhh.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

V8 Supercars; Volvo Polestar vs. RedBull on the last lap of the race. Literally INCHES from eachother. This driving is just :stare: :asoiaf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vTjhu35hk

Well that's fairly annoying they didn't show how he got back around him. That's some good racing, though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
To keep with the current theme, a guy I follow on facebook is in the middle of a sweet 1970 bronco project

quote:

Check out this awesome project. It is a 1970 Bronco on steroids. This bad boy has been widened 7" right down the center. This will strickly be a cabriolet with no side windows or moldings. We will be building custom dash, roll bars, console, and a host of one off details on this incredible 4 x 4. We just brought it and it will go into product shortly. We are looking forward to our very own Thom doing some killer metal work on this project.

Dude's awesome garage build at garage journal (his "pet project" outgrew his personal garage and it's becoming a full fledged business)
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147690

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Speaking of slow motion, it doesn't get much better than motogp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCuNr6yjEo

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
He probably rides Isle of Mann, motogp would be too boring for him.

At least if he wrecked his identity would still be a mystery since he'd be turned into a human smoothie at those speeds.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
SST should replace F1 cars. I want them to race Monaco and Spa. And everywhere else.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

awesome ai car poo poo:

Remember those guys putting the drivetrain from a celica gtfour into a mini?

They're back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0wMIF6EPfY

Came here to post that, I have the biggest boner for these guys. It kills me it'll probably be another year+ until they're done / the videos come out.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Butt Wizard posted:

I nominate this, except this is Ari Vatanen trying to kill everything everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ubdVZP1oV8

I nominate men on motorcycles trying to kill themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Juuuuuuust a bit of a handful, isn't it?

I'd like to think his thought process was "gently caress it, when am I ever going to get to drive a original GT40 again?"

Though admittedly I have no idea how the goodwood festival of speed works. I assume rich people allow racing drivers (or the owners themselves) to drive their cars on the track.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend has a 235i in this color, but it doesn't look like this one

"OEM Plus" widebody M235i by IND

:captainpop:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend has a 6-speed and at least at the time when he got it, you had to specifically order one with a manual, otherwise they were all the auto. That could have been because that was when they were first released though maybe.

His wife has a 335ix with the 8spd and it is a nice gearbox, but yea, manual is the way to go even though it's slower.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Apparently I'm a redneck because I really like the citgo livery for some reason. Nostalgia, I guess.

This is so gorgeous, though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

88h88 posted:

...you can't say 'best' anything in the same sentence as the word 'quad' unless it's something along the lines of; "what's the best way to look like I'm terrible at making purchasing decisions, it's buying a quad, right?"

Whoa whoa whoa buddy. Quads, or as we call them around here "Four Wheelers" or "Whillers" (depending on how many teeth you have) are awesome.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Apologies for hitting a nerve. 99% of quads I get to see is this kinda shite and it's this that my tirade was aimed at...

Yea that thing is pretty poo poo, though I'm jealous that in euroland you can make them road legal.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
You know it's a loving loud rear end car when you can't hear the gearbox over the engine :eyepop:

Sounds amazing

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Steamos posted:

I just cannot get enough of these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v59dDxCk9w

My name is totally in the credits
:goonsay:

These guys are pretty much the best at everything, holy poo poo.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

revdrkevind posted:

Er. I meant the investment bit of PCARS? Backstory if anyone doesn't know.

Shareholders who got in to the early Kickstarter phase get a kickback of cash if the game sells. Some of them are inflating reviews directly to pad their own pockets, while posing as regular gamers instead of industry insiders or developers. That's unethical as hell. Some percent are even pure investors with no interest in gaming, who saw the investment potential and can make a buck if the game sells more copies.

I'll show them, I'm going to wait until next week's steam sale until I buy it. Take THAT, jerks!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Tom's turbo garage is pretty awesome AI poo poo. He has really comprehensive build videos, his project now is a miata LS3(?) build that is amazing. His past builds are really good too.

Tom's Turbo Garage

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

davebo posted:

Between the Autozam and the Honda City I thought I was playing Gran Turismo 4 for a second.

Forums goon "reddit liker" posted this in the gbs youtube thread so I figured I'd cross-post because I remember watching this in 2009 and was probably the most exciting last ten minutes of a race I've watched, even if I hated the outcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNtbaMadX4

Was the Porsche driver penalized? I hope not, that corvette had it coming. Awesome finish.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
babby's first double post

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 3, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Dude "surfs" a wave on his dirt bike in hawaii probably the most baddass thing ive seen and not even redbull!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI

Dang this is awesome.

Spiffness posted:

Correction, we're getting two months without a Roadkill, a Roadkill website that gets first episodes behind a paywall, then a 1 month delay to Youtube & a Dodge sponsorship that 'wont change anything'

I'm worried.

This is not awesome and I have a feeling it's going to cost them some fans. They should just do Patreon or something and let the enthusiasts support them directly at what level they feel is comfortable while still accepting sponsorships. Don't get me wrong, I love the roadkill guys and they deserve to get paid, I just don't like the approach.

BOM is on patreon and I support them, they're are getting ~$1100 per episode from supporters right now with like 5% of the viewership (if that).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

This is just to bring people to motor trend on demand. The owners said they want it to be Netflix for gearheads. They are using roadkills fan base to build their subscriber base, no matter what it costs roadkill or roadkill fans.

Yea I commented as much on facebook, I have a feeling it's going to be like /Drive and there will be a considerable backlash and eventual backpedaling (though I don't know that drive did any backpedaling).

For better or worse, people expect poo poo to be free these days. I think Finnegan and freiburger need to own the roadkill brand and split it off from motor trend if they could make a living doing it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't know anything about GMG but I assumed roadkill would get beat just because they fail a lot in their videos. Like, not in a bad way, that's what makes it real and entertaining.

Looks like GMG made a full on drag car and roadkill just hopped up a charger hellcat. I'll be happy to resume less-trash-talky facebook feeds now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo, that S6001000 in the related videos :aaaaa:

I wonder how the bike transmission stands up in a vehicle that is probably 4x heavier than a bike.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Holy gently caress

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, everyone in this thread should watch it.

Mitch has a thread for his garage build (and subsequent build of the 222) on garage journal if you have a few hours to kill, it's pretty neat seeing him finally getting some decent media attention. He's a real likeable guy and tells a good story.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199243

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If only I would have won the powerball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk9WzRkXt4

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Only 220 hp, 320ft/lb. Not that impressive.

Here this will make you feel better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhsct3YavxQ

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I thought I had saw this before but it was a different video. Same track, different driver from 2014, I found it and I think it has a better sensation of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJ5nHSwZrc

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

365 Nog Hogger posted:

They are horrible for the reason all expensive cars are: They are only for the rich, who are garbage.

No, you see, because it tells you the rich person has taste.

They're not just buying the new mclaren 675lt or whatever because "it looks cool and it's fast and I'm told it does the 'ring in <irrelevant to my 12 mile commute> and <bench racing reasons>", they're buying a perfect, timeless, classic heirloom.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I agree. Every time I see some Instagram collection of a Saudi or Dubai car guy's collection of cars, it's just the same as any other obscenely wealthy middle-eastern car guy's collection. They all have a Bugatti, one or more of the LaFerrari, P1, and 918, a few newer 911's of which at least one must be the GT3, a few newer Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc. Always the same. Every now and then someone will have something interesting. The one that stands out to me is @the_collection1, he has all that stuff, but also cool poo poo like THE roadgoing 911GT1, a CLK GTR, McLaren F1, Ferrari 288GTO Evo, and some other neat poo poo.

What I think is cool, and I've added to my bucket list, is Goodwood. They just had the 74th Members Meeting, where they had several Porsche 917's, something like 29 original GT40's, and all types of other cool poo poo. They race them pretty hard, and some guy binned a Cobra :(

Perfect time to post this video again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jF__B1xpJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Problem solved