Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Warcabbit posted:

The year is 2006.
This is the future that never was, thanks to the Great Recession.
:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Hashal posted:

I get you guys are trying to be funny or something, but it would be great if you just used the tags for what they are actually meant for.
Yeah I thought this was probatable like years ago. Can't we keep it in the Top Gear thread where it might actually be appropriate?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
1950s GP cars aren't they?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not enough love for these replica guys. Building the same car the same way from scratch, beating out panels and fitting parts by hand. I wanna see that factory in Argentina so bad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sofullofhate posted:

On Friday and today, I drove a Porsche Cayman R, a Ferrari 458, a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, a McLaren MP4-12C and a Porsche 911 (997) Turbo S around a racetrack. Really hard. With an instructor beside me the whole time, pushing me to go faster. :getin:
At the track place with the tent in Vegas? drat dude, you spent some money there. I only did the 458 and the Cayman. Fuckin a, that was a lot of fun, though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sofullofhate posted:

Not enough headroom. There's remarkably little of it in the 458. The instructor couldn't wear his in it either, IIRC.
Were you as impressed by the 458 as I was? It felt like perfect. Comfortable, easy to drive, good looking interior. Nothing that felt weird about it. I'd never driven anything fancier than a 1st gen RX7, but I felt right at home in it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought they actually did race all those art cars?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
THATS ADORABLE

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085309-20.html

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

fixed that for ya.
Well played.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Edit: Did the coupe version ever get anywhere? Because drat, it looks nice.

I couldn't decide about the other ones, but that is hot as hell.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

thealphabetsez posted:

What is this still from?
Is that the episode where they were all at Imola or something with different cars and they were trying to beat some lap time and they were all talking to their cars before the laps? Hammond had a Noble or something?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just learned an awesome thing in a book I got for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-F...rds=quicksilver

About this car Porsche designed for Mercedes for a land speed record in 1939:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_T80

Where they designed mechanical traction control for it!

quote:

3. ANTI-SPIN CONTROL

A noteworthy feature of the design of this machine was to be found in an over-riding throttle control, which automatically reduced the power output if excessive spin developed at the driving wheels. The principle of this device is as follows:-

A flexible drive, similar to that of a normal speedometer is taken from one of the front road wheels, and a second one from a point in the transmission just before the final drive unit, both drives terminating adjacent to the fuel injection unit. The drives are geared so as to rotate at equal speeds, but in opposite directions when the front and rear road wheels of the car are also rotating at equal speeds i.e. when there is no rear wheel-spin. The output ends of the two flexible drives are led into the opposite sides of a small differential unit, which is of similar construction to a normal final drive bevel type differential. In this case however the power is transmitted in the reverse direction, with the two flexible drives taking the place of the half-shafts.

When there is no rear wheel-spin, relative to the front wheels, the two drives are rotating at equal speeds, but in opposite directions and the differential cage therefore remains stationary. If at any time the rear wheels rotate more rapidly than the front wheels, this discrepancy is imparted by the drives to the sun-pinions of the differential, and the cage is forced to rotate. A drive is taken off the differential cage, through a governor to the Bosch fuel injection unit in such a manner that whenever the speed of rotation of the differential cage rises above a certain predetermined figure, due to excessive wheel slip, the drivers control of the fuel injection unit is over-ridden, reducing fuel injection, and consequently the power output.

No details of the effectiveness of this device could be obtained.

That's fuckin awesome! But I don't think they ever really built it, and they certainly never ran it, cause Hitler started doing some other stuff you've probably heard of.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

rcman50166 posted:

I took an engineering class specifically designed to teach shear, bending and torque. It's pretty easy to design for and single point shear is considered ethical engineering design if proper analysis has been done. Also as long at the mount isn't threaded. That is considered poor engineering regardless of how high the safety factor is.
What do you mean exactly, "as long as the mount isn't threaded"?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I got a fantastic book about these guys for Christmas. If you're looking to burn some money:
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Arrows-Camera-photographic-Mercedes-Benz/dp/1844254674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358781076&sr=8-1

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

That video never fails to bring a smile to my face. It's the little 2-stroke that could!

In other news, a 14-year-old kid is doing a complete ground-up restoration of a V6 Fiero, with the intention of having it ready for her 16th birthday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZpNQUIqIg

I mean, I can barely change a timing belt and this is some serious metalwork going on. I wish I had had that kind of drive and ability and a cool project at that age. I don't even have a car project now at 27, and this 14-year-old kid is probably on her way to a career in the auto industry.
I remember seeing her linked here a few months ago, I was pretty blown away by the work she was tackling even then. It's awesome that GM is reaching out and encouraging her.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's one of the best car ads I've ever seen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Yep, it's just you.
Yeah. That wasn't sterile at all, that was goddamn sexy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sean10mm posted:

What a crazy car that was. It had a straight-8 engine, an air brake and a body made of magnesium alloy. Unfortunately that meant the body itself was flammable, contributing to the worst accident in motorsport history.
Not to mention direct injection and desmodromic valves.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The cutest repair order ever!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dude should get a KTM. Deer don't stop them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TQMo7IU6-o

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

angryhampster posted:

I have great faith in Ron Howard for technical accuracy.
I remember watching Apollo 13 with the commentary by Jim Lovell and he said the only thing technically wrong in the movie was the contrail on the jet when Tom Hanks buzzes Kathleen Quinlan at the beginning. Opie does good.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oh poo poo, that Motocompo alone is worth some bucks. Those things are rare as gently caress in the US and fully awesome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Astonishing Wang posted:

Top Gear thought it was uninspired and bleh but I think it's :krad:
I did one of those things in Vegas where you drive an exotic car around a track. In the parking lot they had 430s, 458s, gallardos, Astons, AMG SLS, all totally awesome. But the most interesting looking car there, no poo poo, was the 12C. It may not be as pretty or as gaudy as the other cars, but it looks like the loving FUTURE.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Looks like a tasty popsicle. Wanna lick it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

And what's not to love about the last street-circuit F1 race in the US?
Recently found a youtube of one of those races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnEvX5A77Y

I guess in theory it's nice, but it was like the most boring racetrack I've ever seen. All square uninteresting turns, no spectators at all from what I could see, every part of the circuit looked like every other. Huge walls lining the entire thing. Like the opposite of everything that makes Monaco fun.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Jesus christ it's not even an autocross. Autocrosses have much more inspired course designs. Who does something like that? Who invests money in something like that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Went to the NHMS Vintage road race event over the weekend. Saw some cool stuff.

2000GT! Gorgeous car. Didn't they make only like 100 of these?

Lots of nice old 911s.

XKE.

RX-3? RX-4?

Dunno what this was but it seemed to be winning.

But that's all from the other side of the show. Here's the best one from my side. Bike side.

Appropriate name, because the monkey (passenger) on this rig is like a 6'2" 250lb guy. Most of the monkeys are 120lb women. I dunno how he moves around fast enough, but it must be working, because Mr. Nasty won.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I got this DVD which has onboard footage of Fangio drifting a Maserati around some test circuit, among other awesome things:

http://www.amazon.com/50-Years-Formula-On-Board/dp/B000CBXGP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375987127&sr=8-2

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hammer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzqNn8kJqQ

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that Stewart? He's my fav.

I loved this show about him, although the parts with the chef are boring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M09A3Iu-qfk
The little lake he has with a park bench dedicated to all his friends who died is like, wow.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Went by the local awesomeshop again today. Numerous awesome things.

Austin Healey 3000 with something going on with it.

Some 308s, XKE, 356, Benz, unknown other things.

Speedster.

A Ferrari thing.

A Maserati thing.

A Jaguar thing.

C-type? Not enough room to get a better picture sadly. It looked beautiful.

Dunno what it was but it said Superleggera on it. Bunch of cars there had Mille Miglia stickers on them.

A Ferrari thing I think.

Ferrari thing.

Unknown thing.

Upside down Alfa thing?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Motronic posted:

Something like a retard laying on a floor mat crawling under it with no support other than a hydraulic jack?

What the hell kind of amateur place is this?
In his defense, he was just looking at something with a flashlight, he was under there for like 20 seconds. And he didn't do that to the plate.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alarbus posted:

This is near Vergennes, Vermont, right? I used to drive by somewhat regularly.
Yeah. Very appealing little place. A nondescript barn by the side of the road, like dozens of others in that farmland area. But inside they got all the awesomest poo poo. I wanna work there and stick my head under vintage British cars held up only by hydraulic jacks some day.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Paul Boz_ posted:

Clean lines, huge slicks, big aero, and loving Marlboro livery.
Works on bikes too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fayez Butts posted:

Saw this loving mint Dodge Omni today:
I'll go ahead and be a dick and say it, but given how many posts before this one had cars that didn't seem to deserve photos taken of them, I'm torn between saying "well played" to this on the assumption that it was a satirical post or asking if there's something actually awesome about that car because I know nothing about Chryslers.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That is one of the most awesome looking bikes ever. It looks like a SPACESHIP.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
When you get diet Sprite from one of those, it has soul in it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Something not quite that bad happened in the bike shop not long ago. I drowned them all in spray-on bike cleaner (covered most of the dashboard and triples) and let it sit for a few days. Seems to have worked.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BoostCreep posted:

He got super lucky there weren't any cars next to him.
He knew there weren't any cars next to him because as a German car owner he has superior situational awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

DropShadow posted:

I will never understand why people call any generation of WRX hatchback a wagon.

Wagon :holy: