Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Look what you made me do!

Oh god i too immediately started looking for Volvos. I miss my 850 :(.
Good thing they are practically worthless because of the fuel prices over here. Gonna keep an eye out for a cheap T5 or R to mess around with on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
God i need a 2CV. I had one years ago and it was just so much fun. But i have a kid on the way so theres really no money for it...still...gonna put a couple of bucks aside every month...maybe one day...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

I just know its a VW Fox, not much beyond that.

For a moment there i was confused
"How is that a fox, this is a fox:

But i guess you guys over there had a different kind of fox...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Linedance posted:

A) that technology has been around for over a decade, though I'm sure the resolution of those is an order of magnitude better

B) they don't come with a gorilla to push you around in sync with the motion on what you're watching.

The thing about the oculus rift isn't resolution but latency. Of course the resolution on the rift is better than the stuff 10 years ago but the big thing about them is that you move your view in game by moving your head and you don't feel like the game is lagging behind. They are pretty much trying to overtake your brain and predict your movements. This is barely possible with affordable technology today so the rift is a whole different beast than those old VR goggles.
And you can probably still afford a gorilla or at least a small monkey from the savings after buying a rift!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Just imagine. Someday in the future we will have a transparent material that can handle that sort of stress. Possibly not even that far off. And even if the majority of people will have switched to electric cars by that time and petrol cars are only for rich people and old gearheads...someone will build a V8 out of that stuff. Just because it is the right thing to do!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I have some prints of his work hanging in my living room. My wife gave them to me for my birthday. I really like his stuff.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How do you say "mullet" in German?

It's called "Vokuhila". Which is shortfor "vorne kurz, hinten lang" which literally means "short in the front, long in the back"
Yep, Germany sure has a knack for naming things!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Puddin posted:

Holy crap I need these like right now.

The van is surprisingly small for the price and you never really see pictures of it compared to other things so the size comes as a bit of a surprise.
It's still pretty great though. The amount of detail on it is great down to the 8-track tape and the faucets in the tiny little kitchen.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

T1g4h posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/automotiveinsanity

We have a Steam group now! :haw:

I still have yet to try multiplayer Spintires actually.

e: Oh wait, you're already in the Steam group. Welp :v:

Does spintires support wheel/pedal controls by now?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Pff, anyone can just use one engine!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone stole a parking spot reserved for our store!

It was ok though:

Do not pay attention to the dirty peugeot...i have no idea who that belongs too... :reject:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

MustardFacial posted:

This is just great

Pretty much did that, just in a 2CV. What can i say, the light was about to turn red!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

stump posted:

BMW is parked legally, we don't have any rules about parking opposite to the flow of traffic in the UK.

While i generally disagree with this (i'm german, i can't handle something not being regulated!), it was really helpful to park on both sides of the road when taking a lefthand drive vehicle to the uk.
Nudging two thirds of your car into traffic before you can even see if someones coming up from behind is surprisingly unfun!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Thats a useful instrument!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, its from a nice Photo Essay about the Bloodhound SSC:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/24/9384963/bloodhound-ssc-supersonic-rocket-car-photos

I just love the vagueness of it. You don't really need more than one tick between numbers below 800 mph!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Does Tesla give a coupon for vanity plates when you buy their car? Because I don't think I have seen a single one on the road that did NOT have something "clever" on their plates.

Its like Audi TT drivers in Germany. You can only pick two letters so it seems they are by law required to pick TT.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

It's always top-down weather. :colbert:

I just got brand new winter tires on my MX-5. I need to get a decent hat and scarf now...Oh and snow would help

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
When i went to the UK i took the ferry to Dover and the first thing you get when you leave the port is a couple of roundabouts just to gently caress with anyone who's not used to driving on the left. That was a fun way to learn!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well you'd have to pay double wouldn't you?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
That just looks completely fake in the video thumbnail. Its amazing.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

So what's that white thing in the back of my dad's garage?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

All things considered, I thought Amphibicar for a hot second, but looking at a single picture and I banished the thought. I'm not saying I was right, but between what's listed we're collectively right or it's some bespoke 'glassed nonsense.

Sorry I had to wait for an answer from my dad because I'd didn't know it myself. It was a bit of a tricky question for the American audience though. Turns out it's a 67 Renault Caravelle.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Be aware though, Forza 7 has caught a bad case of the EA microtransactions virus.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still baffled how here in germany no one can figure out the charging infrastructure for EVs. There are a lot of charging stations (at least in the cities) but they are all operated by different companies that require you to make accounts and get special cards and chips to use the chargers. So you can't just drive to a charger and use it cause the company hasn't send you their special little chip yet and even if they did half of the time it doesn't work because it won't read it or your account is hosed. The people you can call have no idea what to do and just restart the charger and hope it works or tell you to use another one.
How loving hard is it to set up a charger where you just put your debit/credit card in and it just charges your car and your bank account. This is not new technology! You can do this to tank gas! But as soon as its electricity you have to disrupt! We need an App and a special card and an account where you can precisely check how many electricity you charged where!

Best chargers are the ones where its just some dude sitting somewhere and he gives you a key which unlocks the charger and makes you promise to bring it back afterward...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I wasn't thrilled with the specs when I looked at them. Motorola had a few neat ones but I'm still not totally onboard with smart watches in general.

I'm wearing a Moto 360-2 and i really like the look of it. But it won't be getting any more updates and there are no new Motorola watches planed.
The Misfit Vapor seems to be a good entry point into the whole Android Wear (Oh sorry...WearOS!) thing right now. Not to expensive, looks alright and has an OLED Display and an ambient light sensor.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to put "SUPER CASUAL" on all my cars.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I was driving behind this pretty sweet Opel (Ascona B i'm pretty sure):

And then i realized. That thing has plates. So its actually street legal.
But not only has it plates, they are H plates.
H meaning its classified as a historic vehicle.
Which means it has to be at least 30 years old, must be in good condition, has to have some sort of historic value (so not every shitbox can necessarily get an H plate) and most importantly every modification has to be done with era appropriate parts!
Of course the guy inspecting your car can let some stuff slide but in most cases even a new radio or rims that didn't exist when the car was build prevent you from getting an H plate.

So they rebuilt this 30 year old rally car using only era appropriate parts. :iia:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My boss took us offroading in the romanian mountains as a sort of company getaway. Holy poo poo is offroading fun. Especially if you don't have to hold back because its not your car and your company is paying for all the damages!
Successfully managed to crack the front diff on a Vitara while being deep inside the woods way up in the mountains. Driving it back down the mountain on two wheel drive was pretty fun as well.

Im also pretty loving jealous of my bosses Samurai:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

MrOnBicycle posted:

We are taxed on CO2 emissions in Sweden. Previously we were taxed on vehicle weight.

In Germany you get taxed on CO2 since 2009. Cars that are build before that get taxed by displacement. Every 100 cm³ increases taxes. So you get a lot of 1499 and 2499 cm³ engines to save a couple of bucks.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Does it come with a loving flare?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a requirement. Or at least was

I'm from germany and i don't think i've never even seen a flare. Lit or unlit. They're just not a thing over here.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Because it looks like it has under 400 miles on it. I'd love to buy that and start driving it everyday. :getin:

Did you miss the 300 on the left side of the odometer?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Bugatti bragged about their 0-400kmh and back to zero speed of 42 seconds and even made a special edition car to celebrate it.

Then Koenigsegg said "hold my beer" and did the same thing in 36 seconds.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

supermegaultra posted:

Does this happen in any other country?

Can confirm for pretty much all of Western Europe.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Does look weirdly great. But dont roll over, you'll be crushed and so will everyone else in it

I doubt that an unmodified car would fare much better though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LimaBiker posted:

Amsterdam before cycle paths were installed.

Wrong thread. I mean yeah there are awesome cars in that photo but a city flooded with cars is pretty terrible.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LimaBiker posted:

I think the awesome part is to see how stuff has improved for both drivers and cyclists in 40ish years time.

Well post an "after" picture to compare it too then!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I had some too and after a quick search: Matchbox Connectables

I had a couple of those and then one year for christmas i got this thing:

That was the best loving christmas ever!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I keeping with the theme. Met this guy a couple of years ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Now is the time to corner the market on imported Renault Twingos.