Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I realize that a Scirocco R is a bit old hat at this point but this is the second one that I have ever seen in person and the first one I was able to get a close look at:

The exhaust note as he pulled out of the parking area and zoomed up the hill was appropriately throaty without being obnoxious.

Also the owner was cool with my wife and I ogling it and taking a bunch of pictures. His girlfriend, however, was a bit mystified by our fawning over her boyfriend's ride. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kastein posted:

:allears:
Some guy put this on the sloppy mechanics group. Nitrous tractor pulling wagon... with woodsides and a loving cargo carrier.

Right thread, oh so very right thread.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

We passed these guys cruising south on the way home and then they met up with us at the PA Welcome Center. They were up in NY for the Syracuse Nationals.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

drgitlin posted:

There were four F1s and four EB110s at the Quail last week. I took a bunch of photos and then made them all look too bright in Lightroom, enjoy: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/these-mclaren-f1s-and-bugatti-eb110s-were-the-stars-of-car-week/

I agree 110% on the Porsche stealing the show with that paint scheme.

Also I think your shirt deserves honorable mention for style. :V

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The things you find at truck stops:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Also a good number of spokes:

5 spokes are like the silver paint of wheels.

We agrees!

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

snugglz posted:

white steelies always look good on white trucks. mine are rarely “white” though

Whoa whoa whoa, story time? Is this really a public works vehicle or is that just a sticker for sticker's sake?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Cartridge start was pretty common on large gas engines at the time. An alternate method was to store and use compressed air to get the engine turning over.

Yes most tanks in the 1930s and 1940s were powered by gasoline. Only the Soviets fielded large numbers of diesel powered tanks during the war. The allied nations rapidly migrated to diesel power for postwar tanks as vehicle size and weight increased due to the need for better armor protection and overland performance.

Here’s the procedure for cold starting an M4 Sherman tank from World War Two: http://www.8th-armored.org/misc/36-start.htm

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Rally versions of sports cars/GTs are the best.

If you zoom way in the lettering at the bottom of the door reveals the source of this fine beast: http://www.thekeenproject.com/view-leh-keens-25-custom-built-porsches-911s/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

AirRaid posted:

I saw a comparison post between it and the old Rabbit, so I looked up the numbers:

It’s less than 12 inches longer and less than 6 inches taller than the old rabbit, which really isn’t that much. It’s actually 6 inches shorter than the current Golf, and only an inch or so taller, so totally comparable with other modern models.

No poo poo? Yeah this might be a real contender for replacing the spouse’s Alltrack some day.