Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah the green rangie dropped three liners on the drive home. Normal day, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The future of EV swaps has me pretty pumped. EV Malaise era land barges are the future i want to live in. Unfortunately with retail battery costs and engineering concerns, it would drat near make sense to buy a base model Lightning pro and throw the body away for the parts.

I can't loving wait to build the family truckster on a humv-e chassis with bfgs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Large Testicles posted:

Smoke coming off the front wheel is kinda funny

The caliper seized like gm poo poo do

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Better here than twitter, farcebook, reddit, vwvortex, etc.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
AW11 MR2s put the fuel tank and misc cooling plumbing through the center tunnel. Less likely to get crushed by an untrained tech that way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can get 100hp out of a CR500 with a little work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
wow uhhh

I'd rock it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pipe dream. You'll never have mass low enough or positioned correct enough to make it drive comparable to a sub compact utility.
Companies in the 70s/80s tried. the GM 455/TH425 based rv and the winnebago lesharo come to mind.
The GM variant had some clever tricks going on in that the rear axles were independent and the holding tanks lower than the axle centerline.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I legit lol'd at the flat 8 squareback. it has no cooling system but it's pretty clever.

The scout is a lot less beat than it looks. There's at least a pair of 60s under it with ehhh 4-6 grand of tire/wheel on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
gotta protect a pristine toyota bed somehow

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only the south can be crippled by three measley inches.

Got to see some moron in a Lexus Rx slide around tonight probably because they're on tires from the bush administration

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Not sure what I’d do with the extra 230 ponies though

Locate weakpoints in the drivetrain with stunning precision.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

Ferrari, I'm calling you out. Build a all-carbon fiber RV.

Already a thing courtesy of Earthroamer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd kill a mog.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

I'm sure theres a joke somewhere.... But I'll leave it
Something Something Slur

:catstare: This is not the ford truck forum or vwvortex. Fuckoutta heah with that kinda poo poo.

For even more information on the oldschool indirect and rotary pumps I'm gonna borrow from a post from a few months ago.

cursedshitbox posted:

How do diesels work? How does mechanical injection pumps work? Carburetor principles. AKA loving magic. That's how.

But no, not really.

If you're not familiar this is your standard diesel thermodynamic model. It's similar to how a gasser works in a way but it's also vastly different. With compression ratios anywhere between 15-22:1 there's no need for a spark plug. The air is heated beyond the autoignition point of diesel through the forces of compression alone. Where in a gasser your spark plug would fire near tdc for the power cycle, it is now replaced with your fuel source that operates for the same reason.
https://i.imgur.com/96q9Qrs.mp4

You with me? Awesome. In a gasser timing is very important for the power output and efficiency of the engine. In some cases it'll even ruin the engine itself if it is too far advanced. Diesels care about this sorta thing too. However, they're also a lot more robust. Too far advanced or non advanced and it'll lead to wasted fuel, smoke, high exhaust gas temps, damaged glowplugs if it has them.

There's a bit of a technology divide with more modern engines. Cars are going through this now with port injected being the old way and direct injection being the new hot thing on the block. Smaller engines went through a phase where they were indirectly injected. Saved on fuel system development costs. Made for a (smoggier) but more efficient engine. It packaged smaller. It's quieter in operation which is important to customers with discerning ears. Not that any of us could tell.

This Old Farm Truck is of the Indirect variety. Dirt rear end simple. With a compression ratio of 21.5:1 it'll run on nearly anything but water. Do not give it water.

The engines of this era used what's called a poppet valve for an injector. no electronic controls. Just a mechanical pintle and a preset spring.

It stays closed until the pump sends high pressure fuel its way that overcomes the spring force and forces the pintle open.
The leak off line is there as a return and to smooth out any water hammer like effects that you'd see in a house. The pintle/spring and delivery valve can be quite harsh and this is its damper.

Still with me here? No? oh well. We're doing this anyway and can't stop won't stop.
I'm going to ignore unit injectors and focus on the rotary pump since that's what this truck has. It has a rotary element like a distributor does for an old car. Each injector has its own line. Every line is carefully routed to not have excessive lengths than its adjacent cylinders or else it'd cause timing issues with the fuel pulses.

This is the Roosa Master DB2 injection pump. There's a lotta poo poo going on here. Don't worry, it's not that difficult.

Fuel enters at #3 and travels between 3-6 then jumping to number 11. The rest of the system controls how much and when

(#12 the inset is an air bleed for the head)

An exploded view.

And its hydraulic diagram. It's fairly simple, not to worry.

Let's start where fuel enters the system. The Transfer pump.
Fuel comes in from the right. Pressurized, and leaves to the left. It comes with a built in pressure regulator that you see above. It's a rotary vane style pump. This is a major wear item in the db2.
It's not the high pressure delivery pump but rather the supply pump for it. It requires a lift pump from the fuel tank to feed the transfer pump.

Being a rotary vane, we've all seen them before. Air injection (smog) pumps, air conditioning system vacuum pumps, diesel supplemental vacuum pumps, all use the same style of pump.

The rotary vanes and their swept surface are the wear item.
Side view of the same system.

The thin plate and regulator also make up the viscosity compensation system. The orifice allows leakage of fuel to return to the inlet side of the pump. Flow through this orifice is unaffected by viscosity changes. Biasing pressure exerted on the backside of the piston is determined by the leakage past the designed clearance of the piston in the regulator bore and the pressure drop through the orifice. With cold fuel, there's little leakage. With hot fuel, leakage increases. Fuel pressure in the spring cavity increases also. The increase in pressure helps the regulating spring.

This is the drive shaft with the transfer pump at the very end and the all speed mechanical advance with the high pressure plunger assembly at the other end.

From here fuel makes its way to the head. Here it is pumped to the required 1700PSI pressure and primed as the rotor spins. When the rotor gets to the the required cylinder passage fuel is then sent into the delivery valve that meters the start/stop operation of the injection sequence, then it makes its way to the injector where it can get on with business.

The rotor assembly with the all speed mechanical advance and transfer pump relative pressures.

The high pressure charging cycle. As the rotor spins there's two passages in the rotor that registers with the charging annulus. Fuel from the transfer pump controlled by the metering valve flows into the pumping chamber forcing the plungers apart. The plungers move proportional to the fuel required for injection on the next cycle.

The 'high pressure' circuit with the delivery valve and discharge fitting. The delivery valve is designed to create a sharp cutoff between injection pressure and not injection pressure. It reduces residual leakage which can lead to smoke, high egt, poor fuel consumption, etc.

When injection starts, the delivery valve moved slightly out of its bore and adds the volume of its displacement section "A" to the delivery valve spring chamber.

#12 in the above inset is a bleed valve. Basically this is its operation is to bleed the head.

The all speed mechanical advance.

This is its circuit feeding with transfer pump fuel on the left and housing pressure to the right.

The purpose here is to provide a mechanical timing advance based on rpm and status of load.

The plunger assembly at the bottom does all the brain work while the rotor does the gruntwork.

The transfer pump pressure has to overcome the nearby spring and the dynamic injection loading on the cam in order to change the cam's position. The reed valve prevents the cam from returning to its non advanced position during injection by trapping fuel in the piston chamber. This bore is a wear item. Fuel will leak down and the advance gets rather lazy if at all operational. The leaf spring is known for cracking at high miles and the rollers can also wear adding to the advance failing to work properly.

And a map of its operation. The trimmer screw is for fine tuning the advance start movement.

Externally there's an adjustable cam that also can be adjusted to fine tune the advance map.

A test to see if the advance is working is while idling, pull on this large rocker arm. If the engine's note does not change, the advance is non functional.

Then the governor.
The governor's job is to maintain the desired engine speed within a preset range under a variety of load conditions.

This one like most any other governor relies on centripetal forces working on the flyweights.
As the weights are tipped outward they move the thrust plate agains the governor arm which pivots on the knife edge of the pivot shaft which rotates the metering valve.
The forces on the governor arm caused by the weights is balanced by the governor spring which is controlled by the foot throttle.

As load is reduced and engine speed increases the weights rotate the metering valve clockwise to reduce fuel. This limits the speed increase to a value determined by the governor spring and the foot throttle.

As load is increased and engine speed decreases the metering valve will rotate anticlockwise to increase fuel.

You now know more than most people about an obsolete technology nobody cares about. I glossed over some bits and pieces as they're minor players compared to the rockstars that have gone out and partied too hard on gritty farm fuels.

This is relevant because the truck will intermittently not start hot, the advance fails the arm test, the cold idle advance seems to also be broken, and it has a weird running issue right at 2100rpm where if the governor is held solid, the engine speed will wander high then sag back down slowly like a lean condition on a gasser.

Sources/further reading:
http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Product%20Manual/99834.pdf
https://radionerds.com/images/f/f4/Stanadyne_db2_operation_and_instructions_manuals.pdf

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Still a bukhanka though which means the fuckers awesome. Like the Kamaz' little sibling.

I don't recognize the hubs though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol the gmt400 pickup is no younger than 25 years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I kinda just miss the 90s in general :sigh:

Same. Back when cars choked up the LA basin and not PG&E.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's just a TH425.

These things have an absolute cultlike following. The owners claim they're fantastic drivers.
Because of the front drive and independent rear air suspension the holding tanks are right at the rear axle's centerline putting the center of mass pretty low for a rv.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

How much are used Corvette transaxles going for on the used market these days? Probably one of the cheaper 500+hp rated mid engine transaxles out there

Call up J&D Corvette in socal. They probably have one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

I think an old air-cooled VW transmission would work as well, no? That'd probably be fine for the amount of power that'd come from a 3-cylinder.

I think a Subaru transaxle could be made to work as well, but you'd need a reverse-cut ring and pinion to make it spin the right way (I think that's something that exists), and to disable/cover the driveshaft that'd normally power the rear wheels.

Type1 yes. Most bus transmissions like the 5/6 rib will need R/P replacements.

They both are easy to get gears for. The subaru box is a semi popular alternative in the vw sand toy crowd.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Vacuum advance is manifold vacuum based therefore load sensing.
Mechanical advance is engine rpm based sensing.
A combo of the two solves for most operating cases.

Vacuum advance diaphragms crack causing all sorts of driveability problems.
They've been around since the 30s with buick and went away with the advent of distributorless systems back in the 90s.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Good luck on longevity towing heavy with your 2010+ shitbox.

Not an Emptyquote.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

????

Bikes fit good.

Honestly the most useful truck I’ve ever owned. I use it for hay, feed, trash, whatever.

I hosed up and bought the wrong truck.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's true though, big trucks are garbage vehicles for dickheads.

wesleywillis posted:

ALSO THEY HAVE SMALL DINGDONGS!!!

As a F350 and F550 owner, Indeed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arson Daily posted:

Spoiler that poo poo man!

It's not a lifestyle truck like a tacoma or F250. The above Toyoace would not survive with what I do. So far the 350 wasn't up to the task and the 550 isn't doing much better. It has a 4.25 ton payload and I need *every* ounce of it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just bought a Volvo S60?

You still need something that'll run.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Why buy a truck when you don't have to?

doing more work than any 2500

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

They've really run that thing down market and picked through the FJ parts bin while they continue to trade on the brand name. Disappointing all around. I'll keep our 200.

I know you've been busy tugging those boostraps and all but it's nice that toyota recognizes vehicle costs getting out of hand and building a vehicle for the enthusiast market priced at enthusiast prices.

Imo it's the best looking cruiser since the 70. No 80, 100, or bloaty 200.
And the hood line isn't 6' off the ground. Win.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

I'm very torn on this...

I dig it.

E: Sixxers?!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Finish your current projects first sir.

A project is done when I am done with it; Therefore finished.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Finally I can have some reliable transportation that fits behind the seat of every ford.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress Supporting Nazis and gently caress this derail. There's a dedicated thread here for discussing chuds.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

"Why won't you buy fleet vehicles? They're so cheap and have detailed maintenance records"

This has been my experience.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Dude, we humans really will race anything that moves.

Gotta go fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Looks like it.
The whole thing is a GM motorhome chassis.

NPR