Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not up on body filler tech, and perhaps my comments are out of date...but when I watch other shows where they basically layer on an entire layer of filler to "make her straight" before paint I cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You will be amazed for what those go for nowadays.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Data Graham posted:

OK that's awesome but I have like 100 logistical questions.

Yeah. But as we discussed in some other thread, sometimes you have to let things go and appreciate it for what it is and not get hung up on the 100 things to happen for this shot to take place.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

To take that shot involved probably 10+ different departments, purchasing, a few hundred emails, permits, accounting (Who approved the photograph PO nonsense), lawyers, etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MotorTrend opened up all their digital issues for free for 75 years...hopefully I'm not late to the party on posting this. I basically created a simple account and was able to access.

https://www.motortrend.com/plus/magazines/motor-trend/8469

With that said, I enjoy history...warts and all...and it is fun to take a spin back in time and look up your childhood favorites, read the reviews, pricing, advertisements, etc. A time capsule.

Lots of good stuff. And of course, bad stuff depending on which year you read/skim through.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

WTFBEES posted:

Oh man, Freiburger-era Car Craft set the course for everything car related in my life. I am going to spend so much time going back through those issues.

EDIT: They don't have any Car Craft prior to 2008. How dare you Motortrend.

For some reason I cannot stand Freiburger. I appreciate and respect him of what he does and what he has done...and the shows he is on and brought forward...but man something about him just irritates me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scam Likely posted:

It gave me a sudden urge to check if mymechanics has posted any updates on their 240Z resto.

lol, had that same thought a few hours ago. Almost like my brain demands a dopamine hit with that thing.

While I like the "Sitting here 50 years, will it run?" type stuff there is a certain pleasure watching someone who knows wtf they are doing and not sparing any time to half-rear end something or over the top dumbass presentation is so nice. Another favorite of mine is watching Kurtis/Cutting Edge Engineering from Australia and what he can do with a lathe is amazing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

My first thought was dealing with the DMV.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This makes me wonder, if you were trying to get the absolute maximum horsepower out of the minimum possible displacement, would there be benefits to using high toughness steel tooling alloys like CPM-10V? I assume it's probably too brittle, but you mostly see performance engines made from aluminum rather than steel and I'm just curious if budget was no concern whether you could run higher boost with a steel super alloy.

You are battling heat dissipation vs detonation vs ductile strength of the block and reciprocating mass that you alluded to. As well as machinability to tight tolerances along with expansion rates of dissimilar metals.

Al is a nice compromise. Older (not real old) F1 type stuff where they started getting into nutso type alloys and that rabbit hole if you are curious are always a good read.

As for your heavy boost question, BMW back in the 4 cyl turbo days would crank out 1,500HP or so out of 1.5L. And the blocks weren't really anything special (they were "seasoned" from an E30 M3). Wasn't pump gas and wouldn't last 60K miles if you know what I mean.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, hard to wrap your head around a top fuel engine.

Basically one cylinder from idle to full out...approaches hydrolocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

Edit: The real mind f*ck is how few RPMs that engine does to take it down 1000 ft.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 7, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I wonder if they will budget in a nitrous bottle blanket.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sometimes two wrongs do make a right.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, 14K for a set of rims...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I was more intrigued on where to buy tires for 10" rims.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well great those pics made me read up on the car and then stumbling on its predecessor...the Medusa.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The rim/wheel combo is what sets it apart. That's why it slaps.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Finger Prince posted:

Ah, I think I get it. Mickey Rourke cool. Sure.

Thread title potential.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Oh, wow, Tweels still exist in the wild?

I remember when that was the craze.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You know, honest question on where we converted to CUV status.

Obama admin?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

After training last night and a young woman and I were chatting (young=20ish) and she obliterated a stereotype that I had.

After class, we got onto the topic of cars and she started gushing about how a 300SL is beautiful and her dream car, which surprised me (I was surprised she even knew what it was tbh). I then asked her about her thoughts on the Miura and she proceeded to tell me about how Lamborghini went all downhill after the styling of the countach with the possible exception of the Diablo. And then we started talking about other 60s/70s sports cars in general.

I did not see that coming. Another young lady that was with us was looking at her like the had a 3rd arm growing out of her forehead.

Dear Penthouse,

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Data Graham posted:

Ha, this is the only reason I knew about the Tyrrell P34 at age 10.

Of course I assumed it meant all race cars had 6 wheels.

The Tyrrell P34 sits amongst the top 5 (top ten now that I think about all the other crazy poo poo...but probably top 5 just from an ingenuity standpoint) in the nusto-cars hall of fame.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

evobatman posted:

A friend works at a recycler, and they just had this customer come in

There are some that use car as designed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The 4x4 drag cars were always a disaster...yet so so so captivating. Can't go in a straight line and tends to kill the driver.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah I just watched that one two days ago and was trying to find it to post it.

Twin motor one was interesting...just basically surmising it couldn't cover the additional weight of the motor.

It's a good watch, especially the roll cage shot.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Which hell finding a decent beetle body now...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like how its come full circle...during the earlier kit car craze 90% of them used the beetle chassis and pitched the body.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Finding nuts in the bay aren't nothing.

Wait until you get you live poo poo that hangs out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

Watching No Man's Land.

There's a car chase with a Lincoln chasing down a Porsche. It's awesome.

In all honesty, thank you for that clip. lol.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

Watching No Man's Land.

There's a car chase with a Lincoln chasing down a Porsche. It's awesome.

Just to add, if you want to see some action with a Dodge Diplomat cop car starring Dabney Colman...Short Time.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100604/

A few weeks ago, I was thinking to myself how I did not know about this masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSMrxXrba0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The LFA gets a pass.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

They're fine, maybe you're just blurry.

The first one is a Henry J. They're light as hell, especially for the early 50s, so a lot of them were cut up for drag cars.

Cut up beyond belief.

They were the poster child for that type of stuff.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The everyman's supercar back in the day.

And when you spot one in person it still is a timeless design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Eh, Senna's anniversary so on topic with the NSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVkVB3SUf4